Menu

Christmas stuff in Walmart?

Night Elf

If you want to buy Christmas decorations at Costco, this is the time to get them. They're up in October, but no sign of them at all by late November. By that time there will be lots of Christmas gift ideas and maybe they'll still have wrapping materials, but no house decorations.

I would actually like to buy some gift tags and ribbon soon, as I will need both this year. I have plenty of wrapping paper, so I could start wrapping the few gifts I have, but I need the tags to know who they go to!

My dd spent a year and a half in Denmark, where Christmas is a big dang deal and where they don't really do Halloween or Thanksgiving.  Christmas stuff starts to come out in the fall, and everyone starts to get excited about the coming holiday season.  No one gets mad about who decorated for the wrong holiday before some big feast...  

I heart Denmark.  And Christmas.  And I kind of wish I didn't feel like I have to change up my household decorations every month for the next 3 months. But I like Halloween and Fall and Thanksgiving and all of that fun stuff.  But it doesn't bother me if stores start selling candy canes in October.  No big deal. Go for it.  

I noticed today that Sams Club had obvious Christmas gifts out, but they haven't brought out the decor and candy.

• Like 1

Ours has Christmas stuff already, too. I hate this trend of putting things out earlier and earlier. It means I have to shop for holidays abnormally early or everything will be cleaned out. With seasonal clothing it's like that, too. A couple years ago I went out to buy dd a winter coat in November and every store was already out of them. It's ridiculous.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about Christmas already. Because for Halloween we dressing up in a Christmas theme. Dh is going as a christmas tree. (We just need to cover him in decorations). The boys are going as Christmas presents, so we just need boxes. I'm going as an angel, which is easy since ever Halloween costume I use is based around me wearing my wedding dress. 

Do they make money this way? Are there lots of people buying lots of Christmas stuff this early? I find it takes away from the Halloween and Fall displays. it confuses my mood. I would think most people start their Christmas shopping more like .november/December. I see the type of person who does Christmas shopping way in advance or all year as more of a bargain hunter type and everything is at full price right now. I'm just wondering at the economics of doing things this way and if it works for them. it must work or they wouldn't do it, right? But I have never bought Christmas items in October.

• Like 1

As one who works for a company that begins setting"early Christmas" in September, :blush: people definitely begin shopping by October. Some just want to finish early to avoid the rush and have more time to relax and enjoy the holiday atmosphere stress free, some like to leisurely shop over the ten weekends leading up to the holidays and most importantly those with family and friends overseas, including military, need to get their boxes in the mail by late October - early November.

PSA - Only ten weekends until Christmas Eve.  :D

• Like 1

Ok, I did see Christmas things at walmart today. But it was way off in a corner of the store that I don't usually frequent; Halloween stuff still occupied the primary seasonal aisles. So now I'm wondering if the Christmas stuff was there last week and I just didn't see it, as I almost didn't notice it today.

I know they put things out well before holidays but I was really surprised seeing the Christmas section at Walmart yesterday. Is it just them, or are other stores starting already?

Nope. I've seen stuff since August.

I don't think this is too early at all. Christmas is only two months away. :-)

We have this discussion every year. :-)

Do they make money this way? Are there lots of people buying lots of Christmas stuff this early? I find it takes away from the Halloween and Fall displays. it confuses my mood. I would think most people start their Christmas shopping more like .november/December. I see the type of person who does Christmas shopping way in advance or all year as more of a bargain hunter type and everything is at full price right now. I'm just wondering at the economics of doing things this way and if it works for them. it must work or they wouldn't do it, right? But I have never bought Christmas items in October.

Lol I'm more of the bargain hunter type, but when I was pregnant with dd (her due date was in Dec. but she arrived in Nov.) I definitely wanted to finish early. I'm sure there are a few reasons some people shop early like another person mentioned mailing items. Another reason might be seeing family for Thanksgiving but not Christmas? And wanting to bring gifts then.

It is nice to finish early so I have more time to wrap without feeling like oh crap, I have to wrap all this stuff tonight!? Inevitably there will probably be some of that going on as well.

Edited by heartlikealion

I've seen Christmas stuff in every store recently.  Which is probably the reason I've been wanting to watch cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies.

Have you ever watched those videos on Derren Brown, the Mentalist?  Sometimes I think I am highly suggestible and am absolutely someone he could dupe.

I've seen Christmas stuff in every store recently.  Which is probably the reason I've been wanting to watch cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies.

Have you ever watched those videos on Derren Brown, the Mentalist?  Sometimes I think I am highly suggestible and am absolutely someone he could dupe.

I'm such a sucker for those movies!! lol. When we had satellite we'd get one of the Hallmark channels short-term. I would dvr a whole bunch of the Christmas Hallmark movies and then watch during the winter season.

I think I can be highly suggestible. Ever since that time I overheard girls talking about how you must sleep (and thinking it was ridiculous but couldn't get it out of my head) and then started suffering from sleep paralysis for a time and not knowing it was an actual thing, just thought I was having supernatural occurrences, until I finally came across the term.

• Like 1

Nope. I've seen stuff since August.

I don't think this is too early at all. Christmas is only two months away. :-)

We have this discussion every year. :-)

I can't remember what happened yesterday let alone a whole year! haha! I know we'll also see posts about stocking stuffers, when the tree goes up, gift ideas, and how much to budget!

• Like 1

our local mall macy's (bought out a local chain), usually has a separate store front for christmas stuff that opens in oct.  this year, it's in their home store in the mall.  they took the barriers down this past weekend, so it's now open.  

they're usually seriously down in stock by mid -dec.

I was really stressed last week, so I went and walked the mall, and was in small artsy stores - they had christmas ornaments out.

craft stores start getting stuff in august.

Lol I'm more of the bargain hunter type, but when I was pregnant with dd (her due date was in Dec. but she arrived in Nov.) I definitely wanted to finish early. I'm sure there are a few reasons some people shop early like another person mentioned mailing items. Another reason might be seeing family for Thanksgiving but not Christmas? And wanting to bring gifts then.

It is nice to finish early so I have more time to wrap without feeling like oh crap, I have to wrap all this stuff tonight!? Inevitably there will probably be some of that going on as well.

sil's youngest was due mid-dec.  she came a week early.  (unplanned born at home.)

the next week . . . we had a MAJOR snowstorm that paralyzed the area. (wet snows on hills doesn't mix. especially when it refreezes at night.)

eta:  sil had everything ready.

I prefer to have most things ready by thanksgiving so I can enjoy dec.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I have seen Christmas stuff in Hobby Lobby since late August. I always wonder who is buying for Christmas in August. I am totally a last minute decorator/gift buyer, though.

I can see craft stores carrying Christmas supplies early--I've been working on handmade Christmas gifts for about a month now. I vowed that this year I wouldn't be scrambling to finish projects at noon on Christmas Eve.

• Like 2