Menu

Perplexities in life that only exist to irritate your Aspie

DawnM

My Aspie loves oreos.  He is 18 and thin and will have 6 at a time with a glass of milk.

He hates, hates, hates that the box of oreos we buy at Costo has sleeves with 13 oreos in each!

"Why do they do that to me?  Don't they know you need an EVEN number?   12.  They need 12.  I think I need to write the company."

Poor, poor son.  It drives him nuts!

:lol:

• Like 16

I don't have ASD, but stuff like that irritates me.  Why, for example, do hot dogs come in various numbers in the pack, but the buns pretty  much only come in 8 or 12 packs?  There are several brands where the number of hot dogs is odd and then I end up with extra buns or not enough buns.  There should be a regulation.  Hot dog bun counts and hot dog counts should be the same. 

• Like 25

I don't have ASD, but stuff like that irritates me.  Why, for example, do hot dogs come in various numbers in the pack, but the buns pretty  much only come in 8 or 12 packs?  There are several brands where the number of hot dogs is odd and then I end up with extra buns or not enough buns.  There should be a regulation.  Hot dog bun counts and hot dog counts should be the same. 

:lol: Have you ever seen Father of the Bride? This was the very thing that sent the father off the edge and into the slammer! 

• Like 10

This morning's injustice:

If you eat six frozen waffles at a sitting, even the big box from Costco will run out before Mom makes her next shopping trip. But that's not because they were gobbled up. It's not because a certain person ALSO ate them for a bedtime snack despite being warned the last pack had been opened. It was because there weren't enough in the box to begin with. Never mind that there are still two waffles left. Apparently, you can't eat just two.

• Like 6

Our biggest frustration seems to be tooth care after busy nights -Those nights when you have stayed up many hours past when you should have and just want to drop into bed.  
The general routine is that we always brush our teeth before bed (a good habit) BUT mom is a horrible monster for suggesting that it is okay to skip flossing if you sobbed through toothbrushing.  

Horrible.  Why would I even suggest such a thing?  Do I want the child's teeth to fall out?  Am I intentionally trying to cause gum disease?  Do I hate said child?  Sob, sniffle, wail.

Aargh!

• Like 8

Many, many years ago, my son was 26 months old. He had a total meltdown while sitting with the groceries in the cart (one of his favorite places). After swaddling and calming, he told me: 5 grapefruit in the bag. 3 people in our family. Huge problem. I bought another single grapefruit. The balance of the universe was restored. He is a computer scientist now. 

• Like 39

Many, many years ago, my son was 26 months old. He had a total meltdown while sitting with the groceries in the cart (one of his favorite places). After swaddling and calming, he told me: 5 grapefruit in the bag. 3 people in our family. Huge problem. I bought another single grapefruit. The balance of the universe was restored. He is a computer scientist now. 

:smilielol5:

• Like 3

Hah.  That reminds me of when my son around that age freaked out about cereal.  He kept pointing at the box and saying I want that, where is that, how come you didn't give me that.  After some confusion he was mad that his cereal didn't have those nice big red strawberries that were on the picture.  So then I had to explain the concept of "serving suggestion".  He thought that was pretty crummy. 

• Like 9

Oh my gosh, I love this story.  :001_wub: Reminds me of the preschool years with boy kid over here for sure (and both DH and I have software engineering backgrounds LOL.  We will see where 15 year old ends up.)

• Like 4

Love the stories.  Remind me a lot of ds.

My son only eats the chocolate Oreos - 6 chocolate oreos at 7pm each evening.  For about 3-4 months earlier this year, you couldn't find the chocolate ones ANYWHERE.  The company was releasing all kinds of weird flavors - mint, peanut butter, red velvet, thins (who the heck wants LESS cookie and cream?  Maybe a thinner cookie with the usual cream but wth?), but no chocolate.  We actually ended up ordering a few packages from some weird website for a totally unreasonable price a couple times.  So thankful they are finally back in stores.

• Like 3

Woe to the person who expects my DS to produce any written work without an accompanying picture. How could such a thing be appropriate?

"To be continued" episodes. Horror!

Putting the play doh back in the wrong container.

Using the wrong pencil/pen for a school subject.

Listening to musical CDs in random order.

• Like 4

:huh: Am I the only one reading this list and thinking they all make a lot of sense? (And I am not an Aspie....that I know of.)

I think the difference is that a neurotypical person can be annoyed by something but their world still goes on, while for an Aspie it can seem as if the foundations of the world are crumbling and doomsday has come--they can get so stuck on the wrongness that it is almost impossible to move beyond it.

• Like 9

For dd9

She will squish a frog in her hand. She will hold slugs, snails and worms to her obvious delight.  But do not even consider, putting a drop of lotion on her skin, or heaven forbid, ointment.  She will come unglued!  It doesn't matter if it is high end lotion that absorbs in without hardly a trace in a matter of a few minutes.

Shampoo.  Conditioner.  No problem, but don't let her catch you with the lotion bottle. LOL  When she was little and I was desperate to treat her super dry skin (she will pick at her skin and make sores if it gets irritated) I would put her in the shower and use lotion instead of shower gel.  It was the only way to trick her into letting me put anything on her.  I can't count the number of times I have snuck in to her room and night after she was asleep, to put Polysporin on a cut that was in dire need of some medicine. 

But, slugs crawling up her arm....no biggie!  (likely part of the need for the late night Polysporin treatments lol)

• Like 3

My Aspie loves oreos. He is 18 and thin and will have 6 at a time with a glass of milk.

He hates, hates, hates that the box of oreos we buy at Costo has sleeves with 13 oreos in each!

"Why do they do that to me? Don't they know you need an EVEN number? 12. They need 12. I think I need to write the company."

Poor, poor son. It drives him nuts!

:lol:

When I was a kid and would eat Cheerios, I had to have even numbers of Cheerios on my spoon when it got near finished. So, once there was a countable number of Cheerios left in the cereal bowl, every spoonful had to be even, and I couldn't leave one Cheerio at the end.

Okay, I still do that. :)

I wrote Kraft Velveeta cheese one time because I wished the slices from the Velveeta loaf would correctly cover the slice of bread, rather than having to patch them together irregularly. They sent me back a thank-you-but-we-don't-care-about-your-sandwich letter and a recipe booklet. :D

Spices? Alphabetical, of course.

• Like 2

:lol: Have you ever seen Father of the Bride? This was the very thing that sent the father off the edge and into the slammer!

That part of that movie makes SO much sense to me.

• Like 2

That there are buttons on his polo shirts that aren't supposed to be buttoned. "Mom! They wouldn't put them there if you weren't supposed to use them!"

O.M.Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I had to quit buying my 6 yr old polos because of this.  He would insist they had to be buttoned, every single button, totally spaz if I unbuttoned one.  Once they were buttoned, he'd spend the entire day tugging the shirt away from his neck.  (Not an ASD kiddo)

My ASDs are the same. They leave the one single oreo in the package and open a new one so they can have a fresh pair.  :glare:

Well, you have just solved something I have wondered about for 15 years...why the heck my ASD kid leaves one freaking Oreo in each row.  For months.  And then i clean out the pantry and find 10 packs of Oreos with 2 left in the package.

• Like 2

Tell him it's in case one breaks - sort of like a Baker's Dozen.

Given enough time, they'll put fewer in a package.  It seems to be the Great American Way to put less in and charge the same amount over time.

They do that here in Colombia too.  We have used FAB (powdered) laundry detergent for many years. The price is the same, but gradually, the net weight has been reduced, from 3 kilos to 2 kilos.  My stepson has just affiliated with AMWAY.  We are going to try their  laundry detergent, which apparently is a "Green" product, so it may not clean as well as the FAB detergent.  Colgate Palmolive doesn't think I notice the lower weight?

• Like 2

the one thing I am taking away from this, is that I had NO IDEA so many people bought oreos. I don't think I have ever bought a pack in my life. I like them, but it would never occur to me to buy any lol.

I had no idea so many people liked Oreos.  My mom bought us a package as a treat once.  We never finished it even though two of my "sweet tooth" males were in the house at that time.  I ended up giving the final dozen or so to our chickens when I got sick of them being on the shelf.  They seemed quite stale by that time.  No one in my family has eaten one since to my knowledge.  My mom knows not to buy them for us now.  ;)

• Like 1

That part of that movie makes SO much sense to me.

There's also a scene from Family Guy, where the mom runs out of paper towels I think, and just loses her mind. I so identified with that. When you have put up with so much nonsense and then the last straw hits and you lose it over something dumb. 

• Like 2