Menu

Bastille Day deaths

Miss Peregrine

It is terrible and I'm hoping it was just an accident. That's marginally better than intentional homocide even if it doesn't bring back anyone who has died. Just awful :(

It is terrible and I'm hoping it was just an accident. That's marginally better than intentional homocide even if it doesn't bring back anyone who has died. Just awful :(

It doesn't look accidental. The truck had gun shots all over apparently.

• Like 1

It doesn't look accidental. The truck had gun shots all over apparently.

French news is reporting that it was definitely not an accident. The bullet holes are from the police, I think, who killed the driver. I have lousy internet where I am and am having a hard time listening to the news en direct, which is probably a good thing. :(

Edited by bibiche

French news is reporting that it was definitely not an accident. The bullet holes are from the police, I think, who killed the driver. I have lousy internet where I am and am having a hard time listening to the news en direct, which is probably a good thing. :(

Yes, my brother sent me a link to a Spanish language source. It included a tweet with graphic video. Horrific!

:(   :(   :(  

Spent a very happy summer near Nice.  Lovely area.  Lovely people.

It's on days like this that I really hope the Qur'an's descriptions of hell are accurate. (So well illustrated in the Onion piece after 9/11).  Most of the time, I'm more of an everybody goes to heaven type of gal... well save child rapists and such. 

• Like 2

How Blair et al can stand up and say they regret nothing ( in light of Chilcot ) when the rise of these terrorist groups was anticipated at the time, is beyond me. Bagdad last week, Nice this week. Where next week ?

Idk how anyone can not seem to see that we are war. Our enemy doesn't fight "fair" or according to what we think of as a military, and they don't all wear the same uniform or flag so we can see them coming - but it's obvious to me we are at war. How many times do we and our allies have to be attacked before we call being attacked war?

It's just so frustrating and sad and anger inducing.😥😣😡😥

• Like 6

Sending best wishes, Spryte. The mobile system could be overloaded. I remember it took us about 7 hours to get in touch with sil during the London bombings.

Ds has a friend holidaying in Nice also. Hoping to hear from someone soon. Hugs.

That's what I'm thinking.  Same thing happened here after 9/11 and we couldn't get through to anyone.

• Like 1

I can't even stand this anymore. :( :( :(

My daughter's French TA is from Nice. Not that it makes it better if we know nobody from Nice/in Nice. :(

• Like 1

facebook has activated its safety check in so anyone on fb within wifi or good data should be able to check in.

https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/nice-france-attack-jul14-2016/

Thanks, I'm not on fb, but I'll see if we can use it anyway. Still no news. This is someone DH is pretty tight with, so he's concerned. They talk every few days, work together closely. We have him here a lot, when he's in the US.

But - all I can think is that so many people are waiting to hear from people, and this scenario keeps happening. Over and over. It's just unthinkable.

• Like 2

Horrible. 

The world needs a course in non-violent protest. Sure, there are historic and current reasons to critique the French, but killing families watching fireworks isn't going to net you the change you want to see.

ISIS isn't protesting. They're trying to kill as many Westerners and Shia and Sunnis who don't live in their territory as possible and establish their whackadoodle version of a Caliphate. There is no way to reason with crazy, there just isn't.

• Like 30

Just heard from my sister who is traveling in France, not too far from Nice. They purposefully stayed in the hotel at night on Bastille day to avoid crowds. I'm so thankful she did. She is supposed to fly home Saturday - I'll be so glad when she is home safely!

• Like 7

The Government of France has an App, to alert people about terrorist attacks. It is available in both French and English. I saw this in the news, one or two months ago.  I don't know the name of the App, but suggest that anyone in France or going to France get the App for their Smartphone and activate the App.  

• Like 4

Sadly, not surprised that the terrorist was French-North African. 

For those of you who may be curious as to why France, and what can be done, one of the better European-Muslim thinkers who has been speaking out for 15-20 years is Dr. Tariq Ramadan.  He usually publishes things in both French and English.  He's Swiss (Swiss-Egyptian), but has been at Oxford for some time now.

• Like 2

For those of you who may be curious as to why France, and what can be done, one of the better European-Muslim thinkers who has been speaking out for 15-20 years is Dr. Tariq Ramadan.  He usually publishes things in both French and English.  He's Swiss (Swiss-Egyptian), but has been at Oxford for some time now.

I'm curious if you or anyone else has some sense of what the French people feel is a solution to these terrorist attacks.  Do they want certain changes in policy or anything specific?  I don't follow their news and I'm curious how the French people view this problem in their country!  (Sorry, this might be better as a spin-off thread...maybe someone can direct me to a reputable news site, etc.?)

Praying for France. There's just no words, bad news left and right. Humans being killed, at all ages and/or stages in life. Terrorism, mass attacks, or just individual shootings. SO MUCH VIOLENCE in this world! It just makes me so sad :'(

Hope those who mentioned about friends visiting the area that you hear from them soon and they are ok.

• Like 2

84 dead now being reported.  This has to stop. 

Yes it does.  

I didn't want to hear that it was worse.  

How do you think think can stop?  Does anyone have any ideas?  

What can we do?

What should the US do? 

The middle eastern countries?

Europe?

My heart is just so sad when these things happen. I don't know if it is because I am mom now and you just relate to all the moms who lost their babies last night (and all the other nights).   You can't imagine their unbelievable pain.   I just fall into such a sad place.  

I feel that I should be telling my kids about current events and letting them read the paper soon.  But I can't.  I don't tell them about this kind of thing.  I know some people differ with that.  My kids still believe in Santa.  I don't know.  I don't want this stress on them.  It affects me so much I can't imagine how scary it would be to my kids.

We wanted to take the kids there and travel, but I just felt like things are so unstable there.  We wanted to go a few times and correlate it with our history studies.  Start in Turkey and Greece. I know lots of people are still heading to Europe, and the chances are low in reality, but I just am scared.  I guess they win.  

• Like 1

Just horrific. And whichever way a person feels about gun control, something like this goes to show evil will find a way to express itself. 

The Nice attacker did have a gun and used it to shoot people from the truck. We don't know how many he killed with bullets vs. how many he killed by running over yet.

• Like 6

The Nice attacker did have a gun and used it to shoot people from the truck. We don't know how many he killed with bullets vs. how many he killed by running over yet.

Yes, you are right. I have no desire to argue or take sides. The whole thing is horrifying. 

I found this on CNN,

"You have a very large disaffected North African community. They are French citizens now ... but they've been excluded from French society," Robert Baer, a former CIA operative, told CNN's Don Lemon Thursday night.

"I went to school in France ... I worked there and they are really totally excluded," Baer added.

"And it keeps getting worse since the attacks in Paris because (police) are using profiling and they are stopping people who look like Arabs on trains and buses, checking their IDs, which we don't even do in this country. The French have been very aggressive ... radicalization of people of North African origin is actually picking up rather than lessening."

and

Tom Fuentes, a former FBI assistant director who served on the executive board of Interpol, said homegrown terrorism is a major concern in Europe.

"We have third-generation immigrants that came there from Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia ... and even when their children are born in France and their children's children are born in France, they don't consider themselves French," he said.

"These immigrant populations stay in confined neighborhoods and only assimilate with each other and aren't accepted into the general population."

• Like 2

I found this on CNN,

"You have a very large disaffected North African community. They are French citizens now ... but they've been excluded from French society," Robert Baer, a former CIA operative, told CNN's Don Lemon Thursday night.

"I went to school in France ... I worked there and they are really totally excluded," Baer added.

"And it keeps getting worse since the attacks in Paris because (police) are using profiling and they are stopping people who look like Arabs on trains and buses, checking their IDs, which we don't even do in this country. The French have been very aggressive ... radicalization of people of North African origin is actually picking up rather than lessening."

and

Tom Fuentes, a former FBI assistant director who served on the executive board of Interpol, said homegrown terrorism is a major concern in Europe.

"We have third-generation immigrants that came there from Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia ... and even when their children are born in France and their children's children are born in France, they don't consider themselves French," he said.

"These immigrant populations stay in confined neighborhoods and only assimilate with each other and aren't accepted into the general population."

Which begs some questions...

If the French don't want them there, then why do they allow them to stay at all? Why did they ever give them citizenship? Is it a case of they started as an insignificant number of people the govt/society was not concerned about having influence in changing culture or erroneously presumed would actually adopt the French culture and now it is much larger? Which still doesn't answer my previous questions, but explains how it likely typically starts.

If these immigrants have no desire to partake of the society, do they come purely for reasons of finance? And if so, again, why do they stay and why should the French people feel an obligation to allow them to stay?

• Like 1

If these immigrants have no desire to partake of the society, do they come purely for reasons of finance? And if so, again, why do they stay and why should the French people feel an obligation to allow them to stay?

It mentioned some of these are third generation.  There is no "allowing them to stay".  They are French citizens, not people there on visas.

• Like 6

Which begs some questions...

If the French don't want them there, then why do they allow them to stay at all? Why did they ever give them citizenship?

Also, although I don't live in France, I would imagine they are not one monolithic group with the same goals and feelings.  There are people in the US who "don't want" any immigrants here.  There are others who feel differently, as well as a government pathway for immigration.  I don't think your question makes sense really.  

ETA because I don't live in France, not French  :p

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 4

European powers, Russia & the US meddled, bent, controlled nations for sometimes generations, bending them to their own wills and using them as pawns in their own geo-political quests for power. 

Tunisia didn't achieve independence until 1956 (I refuse to use the phrase "France granted Tunisia independence"; it's so loaded with arrogant assumptions that it was theirs to take & give & decide..)   

Colonialism is something that I think is not well understood in NA.  I think our history as "old" colonies makes us think it's some ancient old artifact when it's not....

• Like 5