Menu

Horrific news out of Orlando

Caroline

Our Lt. Governor just all but endorsed the shootings, tweeting biblical verses like "you reap what you sow" and "temptation of the flesh brings destruction".

The massacre is horrific. The response is appalling.

I HATE this. Where is love and mercy and compassion? Heaven help us.

Please don't think that we (Christians) all feel the same. This whole thing is absolutely breaking my heart. :(

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It used to be that maybe a handful of extremist nut jobs would respond to a tragedy in such a disgusting way. Now it's our elected government officials doing it? Lord have mercy.

My heart and my prayers go out to all the victims, the survivors, and their friends and family. I am so sorry.

ETA: Apparently that Lt. Governor's office is claiming that the tweet had been scheduled before this tragedy occurred, that it was just part of a regular Sunday morning Bible quote thing that he does. I sincerely hope that's the case and that it wasn't an intentional insult to the victims and their loved ones.

As for the update, I call massive bull$h!t.

Lamest cover I've ever heard.

• Like 6

As for the update, I call massive bull$h!t.

Lamest cover I've ever heard.

You're probably right.  I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt, because I'd really like to think that he wouldn't be that hateful.  But...   :(

• Like 1

I'm local and very close.  Even closer to Friday night's shooting of the Voice singer.  I'm just heartbroken.  I only have an antenna which has local stations so of course it is non-stop coverage.  They recently stated another 9 have died at the hospital, so I'm guessing it might be up to 59 :(

Of course just trying to figure out what to do.  They are having some prayer vigils tonight but then some have asked they not be held as the police are already, obviously, too busy right now.  

EDITED at 5pm:   I'm editing this now as fortunately I seem to be wrong and the number seems to be staying at 50.  As I said I am local, just a few miles away, watching the local press conferences since about 6 a.m.  Long story short, with the initial press conference I did not think they were including anyone from the hospital.  

SaveSave

Edited by zimom

You're probably right. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt, because I'd really like to think that he wouldn't be that hateful. But... :(

I think it was a coincidental mistake. Apparently, he tweets scriptures every Sunday and is not even at home at present. There are lots of scriptures which, given an unfortunate juxtaposition, could seem this way.

The statement that the scripture was chosen on Thursday and was put up today without knowledge of the attack is believeable to me. My father prepares his lessons days before Sunday and this is similar.

• Like 10

Another senseless and tragic act of violence that results in the loss of innocent human lives. My thoughts and prayers for the victims' souls, their families and friends, and for all the communities affected in one way or the other. Mass shooting after mass shooting, regardless of number of victims, race, religion. whatever the circumstances. One life lost in this scenario is one too many! And sadly, it's happening so often... there's just no words :(

• Like 1

I think it was a coincidental mistake. Apparently, he tweets scriptures every Sunday and is not even at home at present. There are lots of scriptures which, given an unfortunate juxtaposition, could seem this way.

The statement that the scripture was chosen on Thursday and was put up today without knowledge of the attack is believeable to me. My father prepares his lessons days before Sunday and this is similar.

Oh, good, I'm glad to know this.  Thank you Quill!

• Like 1

Please include the victims, and their families, in your prayers. This is the second morning in a row that the "Breaking News" on FoxNews.com has been from Orlando. First, the Murder of the young singer, Friday night, and now what happened in the Homosexual Night Club in Orlando, early this morning. These events could have happened anywhere in the USA. My first thought this morning was that possibly it was a "Hate Crime" against Homosexuals. However, FoxNews is now reporting that the Killer was a U.S. Citizen, with ties to Afghanistan. Hopefully, with time, the FBI will be able to figure out what happened and whether it was a "Hate Crime" against Homosexuals and/or Muslim Terrorism. Extremely sad news from Orlando, where we spent 7 nights at the end of April.

The two motives are not mutually exclusive. Please stop insulting the victims and the GLBT community by putting hate in quotes and calling the club a "Homosexual club". Nobody uses that language unless they are dancing around outright denigrating us with slurs while refusing to use words that are standard and accepted in everyday language. It was a gay club, not a "Homosexual club."

• Like 9

I have no words of either comfort or wisdom. This hits close to home for my family in many ways. Literally, we live in this city. Until last summer, we lived less than a mile from Pulse. One of the productions my son did actually held a cast party there that welcomed our kids.

My daughter is a.member of the LGBT community and was at a Pride event this weekend (not in Orlando).

Both of my kids are/have been active in the Orlando theatre community, which enfolds many LGBT folks.

I'm simply devastated that this happened anywhere, but to have it happen here is too much to process.

Can't use emoticons on my phone. ((Hugs)).

Given the size and nature of the GLBT community, I won't be surprised if someone your daughter knows, or a friend of a friend at most distant, was there.

It's entirely possible someone I knew and attended a GLBT youth support group with in Orlando back in the 90's was there.

((Hugs))

I wish I could believe that.  The man has been a force against the LGBT community. It's a lot more likely that he was shamed into deleting it.

• Like 2

Hate crime...terrorism... Why is it not BOTH?

I'm hoping that because this tragedy has affected a minority group that this administration seems to care VERY deeply about that maybe it will acknowledge (in a meaningful way, rather than just lip service) that LGBT hatred is part and parcel of this radical ideology, hence one MORE reason to tackle terrorist threats more aggressively!

I feel like anyone saying it has to be one OR the other is only interested in taking sides and supporting agendas. And that does the most disservice to these poor families and our country.

It is not one or the other. And you right here showed interest in supporting an agenda.

Islamists do not corner the market on targeting the LGBT community with terror and hatred.

• Like 4

I wish I could believe that. The man has been a force against the LGBT community. It's a lot more likely that he was shamed into deleting it.

Well, we will never know his motive and whether or not it was coincidental. I'm saying it is believable that he did not tweet that as a response to hearing about the attack. It is believable that it was construed to mean gay people reaped what they sowed.

The number of people who would actually be pleased at a mass shooting because they don't like the group that was targeted is small. Most people do not have hearts this ugly.

• Like 6

The two motives are not mutually exclusive. Please stop insulting the victims and the GLBT community by putting hate in quotes and calling the club a "Homosexual club". Nobody uses that language unless they are dancing around outright denigrating us with slurs while refusing to use words that are standard and accepted in everyday language. It was a gay club, not a "Homosexual club."

Lanny, I believe, does not speak English as his native language. Perhaps that is the reason for homosexual versus gay.

• Like 2

Lanny, I believe, does not speak English as his native language. Perhaps that is the reason for homosexual versus gay.

Well I am a native English speaker and I'm not really understanding the difference? When did the term homosexual become a slur?

Well I am a native English speaker and I'm not really understanding the difference? When did the term homosexual become a slur?

From what I understand, homosexual refers to both men and women while gay refers to men and lesbian refers to women. But I'm not 100$ on that......

Well, we will never know his motive and whether or not it was coincidental. I'm saying it is believable that he did not tweet that as a response to hearing about the attack. It is believable that it was construed to mean gay people reaped what they sowed.

The number of people who would actually be pleased at a mass shooting because they don't like the group that was targeted is small. Most people do not have hearts this ugly.

If it was an accident, the backlash from an ill-mannered tweet is what Dan Patrick is reaping from his years of sowing discord and bigotry towards the LGBT community.  Given his history it is more believable that it was intended; had he not been such a person it would have been suspected more to be a mistake.  Hopefully a seed of compassion has been planted, and he'll think before deciding on out-of-context judgemental bible verses twisted to suit his own ideals.

ETA: I have noticed that all his bible verses include "have a blessed sunday!" above the picture....except the judgemental one this morning.  Somehow...it's just not adding up that it was a mistake.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 5

I'm local and very close.  Even closer to Friday night's shooting of the Voice singer.  I'm just heartbroken.  I only have an antenna which has local stations so of course it is non-stop coverage.  They recently stated another 9 have died at the hospital, so I'm guessing it might be up to 59 :(

Of course just trying to figure out what to do.  They are having some prayer vigils tonight but then some have asked they not be held as the police are already, obviously, too busy right now.  

EDITED at 5pm:   I'm editing this now as fortunately I seem to be wrong and the number seems to be staying at 50.  As I said I am local, just a few miles away, watching the local press conferences since about 6 a.m.  Long story short, with the initial press conference I did not think they were including anyone from the hospital.  

SaveSave

Unfortunately, about 5 minutes later, our local stations are now reporting 59   :(

EDITED:  And after 20 minutes, that station is back to 50.  Geez.  

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by zimom

Unfortunately, about 5 minutes later, our local stations are now reporting 59   :(

That's almost twice the number killed in 1973's intentionally-set fire in the UpStairs Lounge, a New Orleans gay bar, where 32 died.

We can at least take a little comfort in the fact that this time around, public officials are taking the tragedy seriously and with respect, the press is covering it seriously and respectfully, churches will open their doors for those who are grieving, the injured and fallen will have legal ties to their spouses that will help with hospital visitation and decision-making, as well as, sadly, helping with funeral and estate arrangements.  And, I assume, none of the families will be too ashamed to claim the bodies of the victims and give them a decent burial.  We've come a long way in 43 years.  But that this kind of tragedy still happens at all says we still have a long way to go.

Edited by justasque
  • Like 7

An interesting thing that I had never heard before is that our mayor contacted President Obama and had the Hippa law temporarily suspended (hope I am wording that correctly) so that friends and family could find out about their loved ones.   Because of the HIPPA laws the hospital was stuck not being able to give out information in the early hours.  

I'm curious if this has ever been done before?  I guess he just signed an executive order or something.  Should have paid better attention in government class.  

Edited by zimom
  • Like 2

I'm inclined to think the tweet and Facebook post were a horrible coincidence.

What bothers me is his response to the whole thing. Instead of being horrified by the mistake, apologizing, and understanding why people were making awful comments, he said the commenters were the problem. He should accept the blame for his mistake and join the rest of us in being horrified by the shooter, not by people understandably hurt by the tweet.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 13

Our Lt. Governor just all but endorsed the shootings, tweeting biblical verses like "you reap what you sow" and "temptation of the flesh brings destruction". 

The massacre is horrific.  The response is appalling.

No.  The tweet was prepared and scheduled on Thursday.  You may disagree with the man's religious beliefs and/or politics, but it's not fair to repeat this.

• Like 7

Here was the Lt. Gov's response...

http://keyetv.com/news/local/lt-governor-dan-patrick-pulls-back-tweet-after-orlando-massacre

He said he took it down to stop the hateful comments directed at God's word, and did not mention anything about the scripture was being applied to those who had died and that was a horrible misunderstanding/mistake.  He doesn't mention anything about being sorry he caused anyone pain. 

It's okay to believe there is nothing wrong with the word of God (I believe that) but he fails to acknowledge that now WAS NOT THE TIME to flash that particular scripture and that it was (unintentionally?) hurtful.  It makes me less likely to believe the unintentional part.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 10

I have a Facebook business page. I schedule several posts throughout the year on specific dates--usually holidays--but also when I'm going to be gone for a while. They pop up on that feed automatically. It is possible that this was just a horrible coincidence.

I'd like to believe that no one would be so unkind and thoughtless.

That's a pipe dream, isn't it? Because it's obvious that many people are unkind and just plain....well, fill in the blank with whatever. This makes me so sad.

Sigh....

• Like 3

I have a Facebook business page. I schedule several posts throughout the year on specific dates--usually holidays--but also when I'm going to be gone for a while. They pop up on that feed automatically. It is possible that this was just a horrible coincidence.

I'd like to believe that no one would be so unkind and thoughtless.

That's a pipe dream, isn't it? Because it's obvious that many people are unkind and just plain....well, fill in the blank with whatever. This makes me so sad.

Sigh....

Yes, but as you said, it is not unusal to have planned posts without knowing what they might coincide with.

I just feel there is room for benefit of a doubt in this case.

Actually, I sometimes wonder if anything good EVER comes of Twitter. I'm no Luddite, but I closed my Twitter account partly because of this - so much utter crap said by or supposedly said by celebritites (or people posting on their behalves.) just not worth it, IMO.

• Like 1

That Twitter post probably was pre-planned and schedules but what is a government official doing tweeting bible verses anyway? Was that his personal account? Because if it's in any way part of his official Twitter account as a Lt. Governor it's inappropriate EVERY Sunday, not just today. Sorry for the hijack but it bugs me.

Also if it was official, as wrong as I think that is, someone from his office should have caught it and taken it down. They should have either replaced it with something about loving others, or just not replaced it at all.

• Like 16

Ravin, I didn't know that "homosexual" is now considered offensive, although I am aware that gay is a preferred term. Is "homosexual" considered offensive in any context? What about heterosexual, bisexual, and asexual? These are honest questions. I really do want to understand.

• Like 2

Here was the Lt. Gov's response...

http://keyetv.com/news/local/lt-governor-dan-patrick-pulls-back-tweet-after-orlando-massacre

He said he took it down to stop the hateful comments directed at God's word, and did not mention anything about the scripture was being applied to those who had died and that was a horrible misunderstanding/mistake. He doesn't mention anything about being sorry he caused anyone pain.

It's okay to believe there is nothing wrong with the word of God (I believe that) but he fails to acknowledge that now WAS NOT THE TIME to flash that particular scripture and that it was (unintentionally?) hurtful. It makes me less likely to believe the unintentional part.

He also states his beliefs about the need to be born again and accept Jesus as your savior as fact, rather than his beliefs. This seems very inappropriate for an elected official who represents people of all different faiths.
  • Like 2

He also states his beliefs about the need to be born again and accept Jesus as your savior as fact, rather than his beliefs. This seems very inappropriate for an elected official who represents people of all different faiths.

Oh, Texas government doesn't represent people of different faiths. But that's another post for another day. Just take my word for it.

• Like 8

I personally saw the context of Lanny's post and didn't have a problem with it.  Doubly so if English isn't her first language. But in general homosexual is not a preferred term.  From the GLADD website:  

Offensive: "homosexual" (n. or adj.)
Preferred: "gay" (adj.); "gay man" or "lesbian" (n.); "gay person/people"

Please use gay or lesbian to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. Because of the clinical history of the word "homosexual," it is aggressively used by anti-gay extremists to suggest that gay people are somehow diseased or psychologically/emotionally disordered – notions discredited by the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s. Please avoid using "homosexual" except in direct quotes. Please also avoid using "homosexual" as a style variation simply to avoid repeated use of the word "gay." The Associated Press, The New York Times and The Washington Post restrict use of the term "homosexual" (see AP & New York Times Style).

Edited by poppy
  • Like 5

I personally saw the context of Lanny's post and didn't have a problem with it.  Doubly so if English isn't her first language. But in general homosexual is not a preferred term.  From the GLADD website:  

Please use gay or lesbian to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. Because of the clinical history of the word "homosexual," it is aggressively used by anti-gay extremists to suggest that gay people are somehow diseased or psychologically/emotionally disordered – notions discredited by the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s. Please avoid using "homosexual" except in direct quotes. Please also avoid using "homosexual" as a style variation simply to avoid repeated use of the word "gay." The Associated Press, The New York Times and The Washington Post restrict use of the term "homosexual" (see AP & New York Times Style).

I honestly didn't know this was a thing. I've heard other words used offensively (we know what they are), including the shortened form of homosexual. We don't use those words. 

I can be heterosexual. My dd's friends can be bisexual. But, none of our gay and lesbian friends can be called homosexual? None of our (LGBT) friends have taken it as an offense, but we have all used the terms interchangeably.  I live in an area of a very active, open and well-attended LBGT community, and never have heard this to be an offense.  And, we certainly don't hide under a rock. I take that back: my dd has just informed me that she was talking to a gay friend of hers and she used the word homosexual. He responded affirmatively. A person (heterosexual) outside the conversation took offense; her friend did not and corrected the outsider about how he identifies himself. So, it hasn't been an issue, except for with the persons on the outside of the conversation. 

I'm not trying to stir up anything, I'm just really surprised I've not heard about this sooner. 

• Like 3

Just a quick fyi: Lanny is a "he" ;)

• Like 2

Can't use emoticons on my phone. ((Hugs)).

Given the size and nature of the GLBT community, I won't be surprised if someone your daughter knows, or a friend of a friend at most distant, was there.

It's entirely possible someone I knew and attended a GLBT youth support group with in Orlando back in the 90's was there.

((Hugs))

One of the things my daughter said this morning is that she knew the minute she began hearing news that there would be names she knew of the list of victims. As of the last update I had from her this evening, the cousin of a close friend is among the dead. 

Another friend of hers, who was a regular at Pulse, was unaccounted for for a few hours this morning. She did eventually check in and let everyone know she is safe. My first thought was "Thank God," but then I felt so guilty and selfish, because I realized that, in being grateful that my daughter was spared the pain of that loss, it just meant that some other group of loved ones would experience it, instead. Knowing that friend is safe did not decrease the number of the lost; it just displaced the pain elsewhere.

It's unfathomable and unacceptable to me that anyone is experiencing it.

• Like 2

One of the things my daughter said this morning is that she knew the minute she began hearing news that there would be names she knew of the list of victims. As of the last update I had from her this evening, the cousin of a close friend is among the dead.

Another friend of hers, who was a regular at Pulse, was unaccounted for for a few hours this morning. She did eventually check in and let everyone know she is safe. My first thought was "Thank God," but then I felt so guilty and selfish, because I realized that, in being grateful that my daughter was spared the pain of that loss, it just meant that some other group of loved ones would experience it, instead. Knowing that friend is safe did not decrease the number of the lost; it just displaced the pain elsewhere.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

Ravin, I didn't know that "homosexual" is now considered offensive, although I am aware that gay is a preferred term. Is "homosexual" considered offensive in any context? What about heterosexual, bisexual, and asexual? These are honest questions. I really do want to understand.

Thanks, poppy. That is helpful.

Oh Jenny, I am so sorry.  How horrible this all is.

poppy (or anyone), one more question, if you don't mind. I'm showing my ignorance here, but when I use the phrase "gay people," is it generally assumed that I mean both gay men and lesbian women?