Menu

Poll: Do you say the Pledge of Allegiance?

Do you say the Pledge of Allegiance as part of your school?  

1. 1. Do you say the Pledge of Allegiance as part of your school?

• Yes, daily
    • Yes, occassionally
    • Yes, PLUS we sing patriotic songs
    • No, but dc can recite it from memory
    • No, I don't think my dc could recite it
    • No, I would never teach this

You didn't include an "other" response! :lol:

We haven't been reciting it because I honestly didn't think about it. Now that I think about it, though, we learned it at our co-op a couple of years ago. I'm sure they could recite it, or that they would pick it up again quickly. What a great idea, to do the Pledge and sing patriotic songs!

You didn't include an "other" response! :lol:

We haven't been reciting it because I honestly didn't think about it. Now that I think about it, though, we learned it at our co-op a couple of years ago. I'm sure they could recite it, or that they would pick it up again quickly. What a great idea, to do the Pledge and sing patriotic songs!

I thought about an "Other", but couldn't think of any!! Do I need an "Other"?

I voted Yes, Plus we sing patriotic songs, because when the dc were little, this is what we did. After playing in bed all morning and reading stories aloud during breakfast, we needed a transition time into 'school'. I found that saying the pledge and marching around the house and singing patriotic songs with the dc playing rhythm instruments was a good way to rev their brains up, get rid of any excess energy, and since it was a consistent act they knew it was now 'study' time. Worked like a charm!

. . . more than enough for me. I'd even be happy if they dropped it entirely. I like my country, and I have a thorough appreciation for the unique blessings of living in it (especially after having lived and traveled elsewhere), but I don't see the point of a daily liturgy of allegiance to it. I have other, more important, allegiances that I'd rather be affirming daily.

Besides, Civics, U.S. History, and Theology and Ethics is where we deal with the relationship between Christian discipleship and good citizenship. The daily routine of being a law-abiding citizen is where we practice those things. Reciting the pledge of allegiance doesn't add anything that we aren't already covering, and better, elsewhere.

We don't say it but my oldest (12) can recite it, middle one (7) knows part of it, youngest (4) doesn't know any of it. I do think it's important to know. We own a book that is the pledge with visual pictures letting the kids know exactly what they are saying. I recited it in school for years and never really knew what it was about. To me it's more important for the kids to know what they are saying than just be able to recite it.

Melissa

I voted "no".

Dh says it because he's serving in the military.

I haven't said it in a long time because I don't see a good reason to do so. Also, parts of the pledge seem more idealistic than true ("with liberty and justice for all" for example...this has really bothered me ever since someone close to me was made the "fall guy" for a company engaged in unethical practices. It seems to be more about who has the big bucks for the good lawyers, unfortunately.)

Neither of us are keen on teaching the pledge to our children. Deciding to pledge one's allegiance is, in our opinion, an adult decision.

No way.

I love my country, so I won't engage in unconstitutional activity.

Bill :patriot:

:iagree: These are the kinds of posts that most make me miss rep!!! Bill, I couldn't have said it better!!!

And, for those who didn't know, the "God" part was added when the "Cold War" began--it was not in the original pledge.

When we first started homeschooling, I taught the pledge. Now we only say it at Scouts.

I grew up military, so this is hard for me... but the more I learn about this history of the pledge, the less comfortable I feel reciting it. And the more I think about the phrase "one nation, under God," the less comfortable I feel reciting it. And since I am uncomfortable with it, I can no longer teach it. My kids can make the choice for themselves when they are able to understand the potential ramifications of their choice.

However, I have no problem teaching patriotic songs.

Edited by Mama Lynx

No...and yes, my husband, three of my parents (steps included), all my grandfathers, and many of my ancestors served. My children know what it is, they know the protocol, but we've rarely been in a position to practice it. Though I respect some of the idea of it, I have some concerns with it as well. And yes, there was one time where I refused to say the pledge (I was younger and it was a religious issue at the time). My stepfather exploded and he declared HE was what made the country what it was. That said it all for me right there and made the issue even more muddled for me. I respect our veterans and support our men serving. My issue is mainly with the words and with knowing how history is.

Edited by mommaduck

My kids have heard it, but we don't recite it regularly and I doubt they could from memory. However, it's on my list to get to this year - I'm not planning to ever make it a part of our school day, but I would like them to know it by heart.

They do know a huge number of patriotic songs, though.... :tongue_smilie:

When I threw up the Flag vs Christ issue to my grandmother, she brought up the Christian Flag...I explained that my allegiance is to Christ, to my family, and to my country (wherein so far as they/it doesn't cross my Christian convictions)...not to a piece of material. I'm fine with the symbolism, but my allegiance is to what that symbol is supposed to represent, not the symbol itself and not unconditionally (except to Christ).

I teach it to my children as a part of their memory work, so they all learn it in K or 1st grade, including standing with hand over heart.

We chose to make it part of school because it's something that many people in our country know by heart, but we're not attached to it as anything more that that. We did have an interesting discussion about the "liberty and justice for all" bit at one point.

Cat

When my dc were home, we didn't do school, so there was no official ceremony for starting the day (other than gettting out of bed:D). But when I taught in my little one-room school, you bet we started every day with the Pledge. My dc learned it because of other activities they were involved in.

No, and we won't either. My boys heard someone recite it once and my oldest asked why they were pledging their allegiance to something besides Christ. I couldn't agree with him more....

This is where I am at, too. My allegiance is to Christ. I love my country, but find the pledge a bit too much to swallow. My dc know it and can probably recite it, but we do not emphasize it at all.

No way.

I love my country, so I won't engage in unconstitutional activity.

Bill :patriot:

ah, but Bill --

a family saying the pledge isn't an unConstitutional activity:

The Constitution is designed to limit what the Federal Gvt can require, not what parents or private schools/ organizations can require ;)

When I threw up the Flag vs Christ issue to my grandmother, she brought up the Christian Flag...I explained that my allegiance is to Christ, to my family, and to my country (wherein so far as they/it doesn't cross my Christian convictions)...not to a piece of material. I'm fine with the symbolism, but my allegiance is to what that symbol is supposed to represent, not the symbol itself and not unconditionally (except to Christ).

I don't really have a problem w/ pledges, as long as we are recognizing the whole definitions of words, not just a skewed idea of what those words mean:

allegiance doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing.

allegiance:

1 a: the obligation of a feudal vassal to his liege lord b (1): the fidelity owed by a subject or citizen to a sovereign or government (2): the obligation of an alien to the government under which the alien resides

2: devotion or loyalty to a person, group, or cause

fidelity:

1 a: the quality or state of being faithful

devotion:

2 a: the act of devoting <devotion of time and energy> b: the fact or state of being ardently dedicated and loyal

faithful:

2: steadfast in affection or allegiance : loyal

3: firm in adherence to promises or in observance of duty : conscientious

4: given with strong assurance : binding <a faithful promise>

i can pledge allegiance to my spouse and still be a Child of God.

I can be faithful to my atheist friend and still be a Child of God.

i can pledge allegiance to any cause I want, and not feel like that allegiance needs to compromise my principles.

If i am pledging allegiance "under God" then that is a key point in how my promise is expected to be filled.

If i am pledging allegiance to a republic, that's another key word that defines what I expect my promise to apply to.

If i am pledging allegiance to a nation w/ liberty and justice for all, then a nation that doesn't offer that doesn't get to be the recipient of my pledge of allegiance.

There's a lot in the pledge that puts expectations on the cause/gvt receiving that pledge :D

oh -- and allegiance and faithfulness don't need to be "at any cost" to be accurately represented.

I think that especially w/ Christianity [and most other religions], there's sooo much more than "devotion and allegiance" that defines salvation. Allegiance is almost....too weak.... to describe one's relationship w/ God.

I will teach it, as part of History, and all the changes made to it, once the children are reading well enough that they can read it for themselves.

Since they are still learning to read and have so very much to learn right now, I don't think it's high on the list of priorities. I have one still trying to learn the days of the week in order, which I find far more practical and useful in daily life.

...I like my country, and I have a thorough appreciation for the unique blessings of living in it (especially after having lived and traveled elsewhere), but I don't see the point of a daily liturgy of allegiance to it. I have other, more important, allegiances that I'd rather be affirming daily.

Besides, Civics, U.S. History, and Theology and Ethics is where we deal with the relationship between Christian discipleship and good citizenship. The daily routine of being a law-abiding citizen is where we practice those things. Reciting the pledge of allegiance doesn't add anything that we aren't already covering, and better, elsewhere.

:iagree: 100%. :001_smile:

I agree that I can pledge an allegiance to a person or a government. But it's not the blind, "say an allegiance to a FLAG". At one time the pledge and the flag were on equal terms...or rather the flag/banner would be subservient to the pledge/people. Now it's a blind "say these words" or you are not patriotic. I really believe that the two are separate issues and that pledges should be carefully worded. They were also something that was said once, not repeated over and over as though they held little meaning, kwim?

I agree with PariSarah and Mommaduck. I don't like shibboleth tests. Plus, I have some trouble with the PoA's words itself. Is our nation really "indivisible"? Will it be exactly the same 1000 years from now? History would suggest "no". Also, which God am I saying that this country is under? A sort of generic God of non-offensiveness? My God says He is a stumbling stone and a Rock of Offense, and that He will not share His glory with another. I don't think He likes being lumped in as an all-purpose deity. Frankly, I worry that it could become the equivalent of throwing a pinch of incense to Caesar, a quasi-religious demand of the state for allegiance. That didn't turn out so well for the early Christians. Maybe I'm paranoid.

I agree with PariSarah and Mommaduck. I don't like shibboleth tests. Plus' date=' I have some trouble with the PoA's words itself. Is our nation really "indivisible"? Will it be exactly the same 1000 years from now? History would suggest "no". Also, which God am I saying that this country is under? A sort of generic God of non-offensiveness? My God says He is a stumbling stone and a Rock of Offense, and that He will not share His glory with another. I don't think He likes being lumped in as an all-purpose deity. Frankly, I worry that it could become the equivalent of throwing a pinch of incense to Caesar, a quasi-religious demand of the state for allegiance. That didn't turn out so well for the early Christians. Maybe I'm paranoid.[/quote']

ayup.

since I'm the one pledging allegiance, i get to decide just what that pledge means and how it will function ;)