Menu

S/o Killing Facebook - Why I Love Facebook!

Ginevra

:) I hope this is taken in the spirit of point/counter-point and not as antagonistic to FB-deleting members or BlessdMama. I just wanted to say what I think is great about FB because I never plan to quit FB. :)

Since we've been talking about introversion, let me just say that Facebook is the perfect social lubricant for introverts. I learn things I would be very unlikely to know otherwise and it gives me a topic when I see people IRL; i.e., "hey, Jane! I saw where your son just got accepted into High Point University. Congratulations!" And then we have a conversation started, voila!

It is also ideal for finding out births/deaths/marriages within your wider circle. It was through FB I found out my former boss died; I would most likely have never gotten that info in time to attend the funeral if not for FB.

Also, while it is true there are plenty of stupid/unedifying memes sharing about on FB, there are also a lot of really lovely ones. It doesn't hurt to be reminded of some of the better aspects of human behavior through a lovely little tidbit arriving in my feed.

It is handy to get a read on someone before you become their "real" friend. If you meet someone and friend them on FB, you will get a feel for how they look at the world and can get a decent idea of what they are like before you invest yourself in a friendship IRL. If I were part of the dating world, this would be *absolutely* a screening device I would use before I pursued someone.

Lastly - the pictures. I'm sappy. It gives me pleasure to see photos from people's daughter's prom, or of their grandbabies, or of their old dog, Hank, or of the field trip they went on with their kids. One of my old buddies from high school - he had some dark times for several years, but his life is straightened out now and his photos of his two little kids and his gorgeous wife just make me SO DARN HAPPY! :D

I feel like I'm getting 97% "good Facebook" and only see tiny slivers of "yuck Facebook" once in a while. Even then, the problem is nearly always solved by hiding someone or unfriending.

Long live Facebook! I love you, man!

ETA: fixed awkward construction.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 47

LOL.  I am also net positive on facebook.  I get frustrated sometimes, but it would have to get a lot worse for me to delete my account.  :)

I like being able to keep up with what other people's kids are doing, and privately run some difficult questions past other parents with varied experience.

I like the sappy memes and good jokes.

As an introvert, I like being able to use fb to say encouraging words etc. that I would be uncomfortable saying in person.  And, I like it when I get a bunch of "likes."  :)  [with only 30 friends and only about 1 post per month, I'm not talking millions of likes, LOL.]

I use the feature where I can like pages, so I can be informed of upcoming stuff.

Occasionally I look up non-fb friends on facebook to see what they're up to.

• Like 4

:) I hope this is taken in the spirit of point/counter-point and not as antagonistic to FB-deleting members or BlessdMama. I just wanted to say what I think is great about FB because I never plan to quit FB. :)

Since we've been talking about introversion, let me just say that Facebook is the perfect social lubricant for introverts. I learn things I would be very unlikely to know otherwise and it gives me a topic when I see people IRL; i.e., "hey, Jane! I saw where your son just got accepted into High Point University. Congratulations!" And then we have a conversation started, voila!

It is also ideal for finding out births/deaths/marriages within your wider circle. It was through FB I found out my former boss died; I would most likely have never gotten that info in time to attend the funeral if not for FB.

Also, while it is true there are plenty of stupid/unedifying memes sharing about on FB, there are also a lot of really lovely ones. It doesn't hurt to be reminded of some of the better aspects of human behavior through a lovely little tidbit arriving in my feed.

It is handy to get a read on someone before you become their "real" friend. If you meet someone and friend them on FB, you will get a feel for how they look at the world and can get a decent idea of what they are like before you invest yourself in a friendship IRL. If I were part of the dating world, this would be *absolutely* a screening device I would use before I pursued someone.

Lastly - the pictures. I'm sappy. It gives me pleasure to see photos from people's daughter's prom, or of their grandbabies, or of their old dog, Hank, or of the field trip they went on with their kids. One of my old buddies from high school - he had some dark times for several years, but his life is straightened out now and his photos of his two little kids and his gorgeous wife just make me SO DARN HAPPY! :D

I feel like I'm getting 97% "good Facebook" and only see tiny slivers of "yuck Facebook" once in a while. Even then, the problem is nearly always solved by hiding someone or unfriending.

I think this one is important in several cases. Yes, you can get a view of someone you might be considering becoming involved with, or who you might be thinking of hiring or going to work for, as well as those who might be in the position to influence your kids through school or extracurricular activities. I dislike that now I see all those extraneous "likes," but it has revealed some things about people that has changed my comfort levels with letting them interact with my children in certain ways (sad but true, if you repeatedly post, share, or like certain things, I may no longer trust you to mentor my child).

I unfollow, unfriend and block pretty liberally. FB is a tool for me since it is the surest method of receiving news about our extracurricular activities via private groups. Like Blsdmama, I do not follow many family members that I am likely to communicate with in other ways. I have enjoyed being in touch with my aunts, uncles and cousins that I wouldn't otherwise communicate with as they are spread all over the place. 

ETA - If it weren't for the groups communications, I would ditch fb, but since I need those I will make the most of the rest of it.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

I'm with you, Quill. I love Facebook for what it has done for my relationships with friends and family. I am horrible at keeping in touch and haven't managed Christmas cards for about 17 years. I'm not good at maintaining address books and such and lose email addresses. I've lived on five continents in the last 15 years, and have in-laws and family in two main countries, and many of my Facebook friends are also global nomads so just as hard to keep up with.

I've reconnected with high school friends and I love seeing them and their families. I'm much more in touch with my (many) teen and adult nieces and nephews than those family members who won't use it. At overseas postings we often make very close friendships that I maintain through Facebook in spite of years passing without seeing each other. If we're in a place on vacation or a friend is in need of help I can usually find friends nearby that I would never have kept in touch with the old fashioned way. I've been on it since 2007 so I've literally watched kids grow up on Facebook and I love it for that.

I do put a small effort into setting it up how I like it, and I hide anyone obnoxious if I want to. My Dad doesn't like it much but likes seeing his grandkids and kids, so has it set to send him an email if any of us post something so he can go in and check.

My husband's job is sensitive so I do not post or comment on anything political, and I do not "like" any products or services or shows so that I am not helping big brother build a database on me (of course I shop online all the time so it's an illusion of anonymity ha ha!).

There are a few groups related to our globe trotting that can be indispensable when quick info is needed.

So yes, Facebook for ever!

• Like 2

I'm another person who has moved a lot and lived in different countries and I love Facebook. One day I had a group Messenger chat with friends who were in Seattle, New Hampshire, Maine, Australia and Tokyo. We used to all live in the same place, but have scattered now. It's so awesome to be able to still see them and see how their kids are doing via Facebook.

• Like 4

My daughter has a rare disease that affects every part of our lives. Not much is known about this disease in the medical community or elsewhere. We don't know anybody IRL who has this disease. However, I am part of a Facebook group of moms who have kids with this disease. We are helping each other figure things out, especially because most of us are not getting good medical care. We share experiences, research, vent our struggles, share our joys. Some of the families are taking part in research studies and pass on the information to the rest of the group. It has been a lifesaver for me as a parent. I will forever love Facebook for this aspect alone.

• Like 10

I love Facebook. If Feb. We located my girls older bio sister with just a few clicks on Facebook. Once we had the correct spelling of her name it took me typing it in and she was the first one to pop up. Amazing, wonderful, and such a blessing.

I also like it for keeping in touch with friends across the country amd over seas.

I only have 200 friends so not very popular and some I have blocked their news feed but still can see it if I look.....ones like former foster teens, etc.

• Like 3

FB has been HUGE for me for keeping up with the local homeschool scene.  

It also makes sharing day to day stuff with my sister easy from 800 miles away.  I don't feel like I'm completely missing my niece growing up.

I hide the few crazy people I know from my feed, which makes life very pleasant, and I keep my overall list relatively small.  The majority of my FB friends are people with whom I share interests, so my feed is usually full of things I want to click on.

There are plenty of features I could do without, but they don't outweigh the good for me.

• Like 1

I enjoy fb for sure. I feel very much in control of my environment there.

That said, I see much more drama on this board. I wish there were ways to hide entire threads. ;)

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 4

I left and came back.

I'm on several social and interest-based groups that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I keep track of professional colleagues that I no longer work with that I remain friends with.

The key is to manage the feed and who you're friends with. I'm on only once a day or so, if that.

• Like 3

I joined Facebook 4 months after it was invented, back when it was only for certain colleges, and have never regretted it. I think it is a great tool for my circumstances. I have a HUGE extended family that lives all over the country. Now that I have Facebook, I am getting to know cousins that I wouldn't have even recognized before. Same with Aunts and Uncles who I now consider myself friends with. I also moved a ton growing up and had lost contact with several friends who I am now in contact with. 

I agree that it is a great way for introverts to remain in touch with people they might otherwise let fall by the wayside. I love seeing pictures of my best friend from when I was 10 and her baby. I also love that it is an easy format for me to share pictures of my kids with family.

I am very liberal with the "don't see any more posts from this person" button and for the most part, I find my feed to be a positive place. It has saved me tons of money because I have learned about things I would never have been exposed to before. Heck, I wouldn't own a house without it (long story, but true). So yeah, it has its faults, but overall, I like Facebook a lot and as a loner mom with 4 little kids who moves a lot (and therefore doesn't have a built in support system) it fulfills a need for me.

• Like 5

I like facebook because:

1.  I can keep in touch with extended family easier. I love the pictures that get shared both current and those old photos that are hard to find.

2.  There are groups on there for my local homeschooling area that keep me informed of what's happening locally.

3.  I was able to reconnect with my high school classmates and heal wounds.  It's amazing how much we have in common now.

4.  It was very handy when my daughter and mother were abroad and my mom's e-mail got hacked but I was able to keep in touch with them via facebook messenger.  It was a real life-saver.

5.  I do find a lot of encouraging and uplifting memes on there but I also ignore those other ones.

i think with facebook it's more about finding the right view of it for you and ignoring the negative.  I have muted relatives on there during election time and turned them back on when things calmed down.

• Like 2

I find Facebook quite handy.

I can keep up on what dh's family is up to without actually having to speak with any of them. Big plus in my book.

Create a group for a family function and everyone is updated at the same time and I don't have to hunt down someone's email address.

The yuck stuff is easily taken care of by unfollowing. Incessant notifications are handled by turning off specific notifications.

I do understand the people who walk away. It can be a major time suck and can lead to hurt feelings when you realize people are doing all kinds of fun things and not inviting you. Ignorance can be quite blissful.

• Like 4

Yay, I found someone else who likes Facebook! My DH hates Facebook. I always tell him he's doing it wrong.

First, I'm pretty quick to use the "See fewer posts like this" button, especially political ones. It's MY Facebook feed, so I determine what I want to see.

I want to see the latest remodel my cousin is doing on her house, my former co-worker's trip to Europe, and another cousin's backpacking trip through Ireland. I'm in an extended Family group, so thanks to my Aunt, I know my grandmother needs a new pair of glasses, but it's not in her budget, and if I have some extra cash could I send her some. 

I'm just fine with it being a highlight reel. Show me your highlights, over share baby pics in the excitement of becoming a new parent, celebrate your graduation! I'm cheering you on and celebrating with you!

• Like 4

I love it but could also live without it easily enough. I have 50 friends, deleted a few last night. Of those 50 friends 32 of them are relatives. About half of those relatives I see on a weekly basis. The other half live all over the country and we just can't visit them because of the expense and the fact that I'm going to visit my sister on AL over my cousins in Az every single time.

I love seeing my cousins' kids, their artwork, and the interesting places their jobs take them.

My aunt in Chicago knows all my kids and siblings' kids because of Facebook. She met many of them but not any that are 3 and under, which is 6 out of the 16. But she still knows all of them and can even point out who has the same personality as her siblings because we all post about them frequently specifically because she has asked us to so she can know them.

I've made tons of money on local consignment sale groups and on homeschooling curriculum sale groups.

• Like 1

My nieces and nephews live in 5 different states, because of FB I actually see pictures of them and sort of know what is going on in their lives. It has also allowed me to connect with my cousins, something that never happened living 1000 miles apart.

It's easy to share pictures with my grandparents and parents too.

Lastly it helps me know what is going on in our local community. It's a small town without a daily paper or feature on the news. Most everything is passed word of mouth but being on FB helps me know what is going on.

• Like 1

I don't understand all the angst about Facebook. It's a tool that many people find useful but others have no need for it. That's fine. Facebook doesn't "make" anyone do anything. One is neither weak for using Facebook nor virtuous for avoiding it.

• Like 10

Not using Facebook doesn't make one weak (or disengaged from life, untrustworthy etc) either. There is actually that implication out there.

Using Facebook is the norm these days. I think it's ok for people to support each other in not using it.

The main reason I'm on Facebook is to keep up with local homeschool stuff.  There are some yahoo groups too, but I found a lot of stuff got announced very late and some stuff doesn't get announced there at all.

All of my friends are Internet friends.  I have very few local people and no family in my "list".  Years ago I had mostly local and family and it caused too many problems. 

• Like 1

ds doesn't have facebook on principle. That's fine, but I did spy a few pictures of him online in Japan while going through a school group's facebook page. That made my day. 

I'm having a short piece published in an anthology to raise funds for cancer research. The entirety of the group met through another facebook group, none of the participants are local and we're spread throughout the world. 

I'm a long term cancer survivor. I'm part of a facebook group specific to my type of cancer, we're dealing with a lot of term effects of radiation (and chemo for some). It has saved my sanity as my PCP had referred me to an oncologist because my bloodwork was out of whack. I knew it was nothing because of the facebook group - side effect of having no spleen. Yup, the oncologist redid the blood work and confirmed my suspicions, it's normal for me. 

It has also helped solidify some friendships at school. It's hard to get to know someone in the few minutes before class, but with facebook I know their sense of humor and can make chit chat. 

I love it when friends share travel photos. I don't get to travel much lately and I enjoy seeing the world through their eyes. 

• Like 4

I've found FB to be very positive as well, for the reasons above and for one more-it's SO nice to be able to set up private groups for things like the homeschool clubs I do and keep everything in one place, have the events automatically go to my phone Calendar (and therefore the Outlook on my home calendar), and just be self-contained.

I'll also add something else-Twitter has honestly been about the best thing for connecting my DD to people actually working in field bio, who are willing to answer questions and chat with her, share photos, and share ups and downs. I set up and control an account for this purpose, and honestly, it's been great. I know there is bad stuff there (and I block people with impunity on both FB and Twitter), but for DD to be able to see that people have bad days and that sometimes field work fails, miserably, has been a great thing for her. We have a FB account for her social media stuff as well, but the grad students seem to mostly communicate via tweeting.

• Like 1

I'm really flummoxed at all the passionate "I block people" posts here and in the other thread.   Gee, we are talking about words on a screen.  People are entitled to opinions, even wrong opinions.  I might unfollow if someone persistently posted intentionally offensive stuff (and it would have to be intentional), but other than that, Facebook is merely an undesirable tool to me. 

No one can screen me.  I don't post enough to do that, as I don't appreciate Facebook selling all my personal information to everyone everywhere.  I don't even identify my own relatives. 

You might get an idea of my age range because I occasionally answer some quiz and make a lighthearted comment about it, but that is the extent of my interaction on Facebook.     I truly don't understand the concept of spilling your guts on a public forum for comment from everyone you personally know.  I really don't get those stupid posts ranting at some unidentified person.  You know, the "Some people are just so awful!  How dare you do that to me! Karma is a ****" (without identifying the culprit).  Oh shut up, I want to say.  Gossip to someone who cares because it isn't me. 

I'm just not the ideal Facebook participant.  I only have it because it was demanded for a group to disseminate information.  

• Like 1

I'm enjoying FB more this time around than my first experience with it.  The first time I joined I friended way too many people from my past.  People from high school that I didn't know very well and really had nothing whatsoever in common with, and I had no desire to see again on a regular basis.  I really had no interest in how many drinking games a never-married nearly 50yr old was playing over the weekend.  :huh: :laugh:

When I came back after a multi-year hiatus, I cleaned up my FB feed and deleted a bunch of those people.  I'm still pretty particular about whom I friend.  Oddly, I find I do better when I avoid friending people I see regularly in real life (with the exception of close family). 

• Like 1

LOL!  Totally understand! :)  I have an absolute love/hate relationship with it... er, or did.  

• Like 1

In my case, the blocking is on the accounts that are set up for DD's projects.

On my personal page, not nearly so big of a deal-but I do hide reposts from things like quiz sites, political sites, religious sites, games, and other stuff that I don't want to see. I want to see your pictures of your DC's AHG award ceremony or school graduation or little league home run, not a dozen reposts about target's bathroom policy, conservative, liberal, or neutral, "you know you're an '80's kid if" or "so and so has given you 10 coins in FarmVille".

• Like 2

Not using Facebook doesn't make one weak (or disengaged from life, untrustworthy etc) either. There is actually that implication out there.

Using Facebook is the norm these days. I think it's ok for people to support each other in not using it.

I think the opposite applies too though.  I certainly know people who seem to put down FB users and act like they're above it.  It goes both ways.  If it works for you - fine.  Enjoy.  If it doesn't - great.  I just don't think it's worthy of judging a person over either way.  I have relationships with plenty of people who won't go near facebook.

I just don't think unfollowing, unfriending, or even blocking is that big of a deal at all.  They are just words on a screen and if makes someone's life a little less stressful and FB a more usable environment for someone, then why not.  I have only personally blocked one person and that's my ex-SIL because she kept friending and unfriending and vague booking and I don't want to be a part of that drama. 

I do tend to hide or unfollow people that constantly repost memes or heated political stuff.  I like to see people's kids, vacations, lives.  My groups events. 

• Like 4

FB is what you make of it.

For me it's several things:

-A way to stay connected with a far flung and LARGE extended family.

-A way to stay connected with friends who live too

far away for visits.

-A way to plug into local homeschooling groups and activities.

-to facilitate conversations and planning with local and distant friends.

I don't have a lot of friends on my new account. I axed my old account to get rid of hundreds and hundreds of work related connections for a job I no longer have. I only friend request or accept friend requests from people who are part of why I use FB. I use settings to hide content,

like game invites and most anything I would

call a screed. Most of my conversations on FB take place on groups.

If someone has a feed full of garbage, they aren't using settings to their best purpose or friending the right people.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

I'm really flummoxed at all the passionate "I block people" posts here and in the other thread.   Gee, we are talking about words on a screen. 

None of us would stand around listening to an obnoxious person if we didn't have to and tell ourselves, "Gee, we are talking about words in the air." We'd leave.  We'd chose not to be in earshot.  We'd not invite them to join us at home or in public. That's what FB is, it's the online equivalent of meeting friends for social interaction.  The same rules usually apply.  The online equivalent of walking away and not inviting an obnoxious person to join you for social interaction with friends is to block them or unfriend them. 

And it isn't just words.  I've blocked 2 men because they post pictures of women in simply bikinis posing provocatively with or without men and half naked men making out with each other.  Your FB friends may have sense enough to know sexually charged posts aren't universally acceptable, but not everyone else does.  We give people the benefit of the doubt and when they show poor social judgement they experience the consequences.  People choose to block or unfriend them.  Welcome to real life. I have kids in the house and I don't want to look at that kind of thing anyway.  Of course I block them. 

Then there are the incessant posters.  If they post more than 3 posts a day on a regular basis, then they're gone. They can go over 3 if it's a big fat hairy deal, like they're competing in the Olympics, they're getting married, they're having a baby, or they're getting a transplanted organ, but if it's piddly crap all day, most days, they're gone.  It's the equivalent of someone in person who dominates conversations in social situations. People don't like that kind of person. One woman I blocked posted, and I'm not exaggerating, links to 10 or more news articles a day, every. single. day.  I've blocked people who post political stuff I agree with because they broke my 3 post a day rule. 

Then there are the complainers.  If everything they post is negative, martyred or corrective, I don't need their crap in my life.  I don't want to read about their interpersonal conflicts online anymore than I want to hear about them in person. If they have an issue with someone, they need to go directly to that person and not gossip about them in cyber public.  Gossips are not pain I need to tolerate. Neither should I have to sift through them to find the posts of pleasant people. Same with those who think it's their job to correct or instruct regularly.  Sure, now and then it's OK to dispel misconceptions or vent in a general, non-personal way,  but when that characterizes the majority of their posts, it's time they were blocked or unfriended.

If someone adds me to a page without asking me first, they're immediately confronted.  Never connect my name and likeness to anything without my permission first-especially to political/religious stuff I don't agree with. Yep.  That happened.

The Jimmy Kimmel National Unfriend Day video is well done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdrpTqw3SGE  Not all of them are inherently bad, but when they're done with the wrong attitude or done to excess, they're bad.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 5

I like it because I can unfollow anyone I don't want to listen to but I can also easily go to specific pages to see how they are doing. I use it primarily to follow HSing groups local or specific to my personal beliefs.  I also use it to keep up with my favorite candidate since I've stopped reading the news (bad stuff makes me depressed). So no I won't be dropping FB but I'm not on it nearly as much as I'm on this board  :leaving:

• Like 2

I'm really flummoxed at all the passionate "I block people" posts here and in the other thread. Gee, we are talking about words on a screen. People are entitled to opinions, even wrong opinions. I might unfollow if someone persistently posted intentionally offensive stuff (and it would have to be intentional), but other than that, Facebook is merely an undesirable tool to me.

No one can screen me. I don't post enough to do that, as I don't appreciate Facebook selling all my personal information to everyone everywhere. I don't even identify my own relatives.

You might get an idea of my age range because I occasionally answer some quiz and make a lighthearted comment about it, but that is the extent of my interaction on Facebook. I truly don't understand the concept of spilling your guts on a public forum for comment from everyone you personally know. I really don't get those stupid posts ranting at some unidentified person. You know, the "Some people are just so awful! How dare you do that to me! Karma is a ****" (without identifying the culprit). Oh shut up, I want to say. Gossip to someone who cares because it isn't me.

I'm just not the ideal Facebook participant. I only have it because it was demanded for a group to disseminate information.

Why be flummoxed about that? It's better than enduring carp one hates and then whining about it on other forums, which I have seen plenty of times. Even on THIS forum, there are threads I never open because I can tell from the title and the fact that it's 17 pages deep that it's going to get my dander up about nothing. And what advice do we dispense with regards to a WTM poster who upsets us regularly? Put them on Ignore. It's a feature I have not used often, but if a particular poster just chaps your hide every time they post, ignore them. FB is the same way. Unfriend, unfollow, choose to "see fewer posts like this," hide someone who abuses your feed. There's nothing at all wrong with it.

If you post infrequently so no profile can be built about who you are and what you do, well, that is your prerogative, or course. That is simply using FB in the way that pleases you best. I feel that it is sporting to share things on FB, just as others in my feed are sharing themselves with me; in this way, FB is the social lubricant I desire it to be.

Besides - WRT a profile - I'm sure I already have a profile as thick as the walls of Alcatraz. Target probably knows me better than my own mother does. I am hopelessly dependant on digital purchasing and those activities leave a marketing gold mine treasure map.

• Like 5

I find Facebook convenient for staying in touch with what my numerous relatives and friends in different continents are doing.

My husband doesn't have Facebook on principle. He thinks it is just a way to advertise to people and in general just rather stupid and scammy

My husband doesn't have Facebook because interviewers and colleagues do check Facebook profiles. My kid's flute teacher makes sure she keeps her public profile professional.

• Like 1

I totally agree.   Plus, every activity we are involved in uses facebook for communications.  It's so nice having all those communications in one convenient place.

I have gotten quite liberal with the "unfollow" and "see fewer posts like this" buttons lately.   A lot of people get hidden from my feed during election season.  Christmas time I'll probably go through and see if people can be un-hidden. 

• Like 2

I'm really flummoxed at all the passionate "I block people" posts here and in the other thread.   Gee, we are talking about words on a screen.  People are entitled to opinions, even wrong opinions.  I might unfollow if someone persistently posted intentionally offensive stuff (and it would have to be intentional), but other than that, Facebook is merely an undesirable tool to me. 

No one can screen me.  I don't post enough to do that, as I don't appreciate Facebook selling all my personal information to everyone everywhere.  I don't even identify my own relatives. 

You might get an idea of my age range because I occasionally answer some quiz and make a lighthearted comment about it, but that is the extent of my interaction on Facebook.     I truly don't understand the concept of spilling your guts on a public forum for comment from everyone you personally know.  I really don't get those stupid posts ranting at some unidentified person.  You know, the "Some people are just so awful!  How dare you do that to me! Karma is a ****" (without identifying the culprit).  Oh shut up, I want to say.  Gossip to someone who cares because it isn't me. 

I'm just not the ideal Facebook participant.  I only have it because it was demanded for a group to disseminate information.  

I've only blocked a few people completely and those are all people I wouldn't consider safe to be around IRL.  Most of those blocks occurred when they tried to friend me and I was like, um, yeah, no.   No need to respond just block them.  I think I was only FB friends with a single person when I blocked them and it had nothing to do with what they posted on FB.  I will unsubscribe or hide people from my feed for excessive vaguebooking, excessively venomous  political posts (on any side) and the sharing of to many stupid FB chain letters.  That's just making it so their posts don't show up in my feed.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

FB told me about a talk on local, native, edible plants that was both *free* and being held two blocks from my place on a morning I could attend! The chap spoke a bit about the commercial side, which gave me a few ideas to take home to my brother. He is running for parliament and is very interested in agricultural ideas that might be of use to farmers surrounding a town in our electorate, who are struggling because they no longer have large enough parcels of land to support themselves on using their traditional crops. There's even a guy a few towns further along who has had a trial plot for the last 10 years and neither of us would have known about it otherwise.

So yay for FB. :)

I love Facebook, too.  I don't have any family anywhere nearby, so having FB allows me to see pictures of my mom's new condo, and my nephews at their baseball games, and my cousin and his kids playing basket-ball, and my aunt and uncle celebrating their anniversary. I love that my aunt posts video of my 94 year old Grandma playing piano - seriously, there must be about 25 videos of my Grandma playing different songs.  She still plays piano everyday and my kids have been able to see those videos - even though they've never met my Grandma.  

It also gives me the opportunity to share some of my life out here with my family and friends.  Yesterday I saw an iceberg and posted a picture of it on FB.  

I don't have any weird friends who post annoying or disturbing things.  My family is fantastic and has never done anything that bugged me. 

Also, I don't spend a ton of time on it.

I don't see a downside for me.

• Like 3

None of us would stand around listening to an obnoxious person if we didn't have to and tell ourselves, "Gee, we are talking about words in the air." We'd leave.  We'd chose not to be in earshot.  We'd not invite them to join us at home or in public. That's what FB is, it's the online equivalent of meeting friends for social interaction.  The same rules usually apply.  The online equivalent of walking away and not inviting an obnoxious person to join you for social interaction with friends is to block them or unfriend them. 

And it isn't just words.  I've blocked 2 men because they post pictures of women in simply bikinis posing provocatively with or without men and half naked men making out with each other.  Your FB friends may have sense enough to know sexually charged posts aren't universally acceptable, but not everyone else does.  We give people the benefit of the doubt and when they show poor social judgement they experience the consequences.  People choose to block or unfriend them.  Welcome to real life. I have kids in the house and I don't want to look at that kind of thing anyway.  Of course I block them. 

Then there are the incessant posters.  If they post more than 3 posts a day on a regular basis, then they're gone. They can go over 3 if it's a big fat hairy deal, like they're competing in the Olympics, they're getting married, they're having a baby, or they're getting a transplanted organ, but if it's piddly crap all day, most days, they're gone.  It's the equivalent of someone in person who dominates conversations in social situations. People don't like that kind of person. One woman I blocked posted, and I'm not exaggerating, links to 10 or more news articles a day, every. single. day.  I've blocked people who post political stuff I agree with because they broke my 3 post a day rule. 

Then there are the complainers.  If everything they post is negative, martyred or corrective, I don't need their crap in my life.  I don't want to read about their interpersonal conflicts online anymore than I want to hear about them in person. If they have an issue with someone, they need to go directly to that person and not gossip about them in cyber public.  Gossips are not pain I need to tolerate. Neither should I have to sift through them to find the posts of pleasant people. Same with those who think it's their job to correct or instruct regularly.  Sure, now and then it's OK to dispel misconceptions or vent in a general, non-personal way,  but when that characterizes the majority of their posts, it's time they were blocked or unfriended.

If someone adds me to a page without asking me first, they're immediately confronted.  Never connect my name and likeness to anything without my permission first-especially to political/religious stuff I don't agree with. Yep.  That happened.

The Jimmy Kimmel National Unfriend Day video is well done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdrpTqw3SGE  Not all of them are inherently bad, but when they're done with the wrong attitude or done to excess, they're bad.

whoa- you're tough.

I'm going to add the self-righteous friends.   I'm getting pretty tired of the smug Memes pointing how how someone else's stance is flawed or why the *other* person is an insensitive neanderthal. Or that if they vote for so and so they are an ill-informed child.   This goes for both sides.

I've collected a complainer on my friends list recently.  It's getting old real quick.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

Another facebook lover here. Most of what was already mentioned are my reasons. My top reasons:

-I love that I can keep up with far away family.

-I find it a convenient way to keep up with groups like my IRL book club.

-I don't get out as often as I used to since we have 2 cars and 3 drivers and I'm usually last on the list for getting one of the vehicles, so I "talk" to my local friends on facebook (as well as using texts and Messenger). Sure, I can call them and sometimes I do, but with fb and Messenger I can talk to several friends at once.

-I like the local virtual yard sale groups and local groups that tell me what's happening in and near my city. 

There are a few things I don't care for. Like other facebook lovers I hide, see fewer posts, or unfollow (but only rarely unfriend) someone who posts too much of what I don't want to see Occasional posts are fine, but when those posts become frequent I make use of facebook's various tools to manage my preferences. I also use a browser extension called Social Fixer that allows me to weed out even more (for example I can put in a candidate's name and say I don't want to see anything with that person's name in it). Social Fixer gives me even more tools to personalize my newsfeed and wall than facebook alone.

I get annoyed at many of the pseudo-science memes and articles I see posted, and I just scroll by those or tell facebook I don't want to see that kind of thing. Occasionally I'll share a science-y article on my own wall, but I don't do it in retaliation. If I share a science article it's because I found it interesting. I'm sure some of my friends who prefer pseudo-science (and I do have some friends like that) probably don't want to see my stuff. I would hope they just scroll by or tell facebook they want to see fewer posts like mine.

All in all, I find it a nice way to stay connected. I do think how one views facebook is partly due to luck, partly due to smart use. I'm lucky not to have nutty family (with one or two exceptions) that I can't unfriend because they're family. I use it smartly by making sure I don't see the nutty stuff I don't want to see. 

Do you have anyone here at WTM on ignore? If so, how is that different than hiding or unfollowing someone on facebook? Do you find this forum a mostly undesirable tool because of a few people who rub you the wrong way? If so, why would you stay? I'm not trying to tell you "love it or leave it", just trying to show you why people would hide or block or unfollow someone and yet still enjoy the rest of facebook.

No one can screen me. 

You might get an idea of my age range because I occasionally answer some quiz.

Do you realize that most of those quizzes are designed to get from you the very information you say you don't give out? Many fun quizzes are simply data-mining.

I truly don't understand the concept of spilling your guts on a public forum for comment from everyone you personally know.

I totally agree with you! Some people over-share, whether they do it on facebook, twitter, here at WTM, or some other forum or online social media. I don't understand it either, but I'm a somewhat private person.

I really don't get those stupid posts ranting at some unidentified person.  You know, the "Some people are just so awful!  How dare you do that to me! Karma is a ****" (without identifying the culprit).  Oh shut up, I want to say.  Gossip to someone who cares because it isn't me.

That's called vague-booking and those of us who don't vague-book also find it annoying. Those are the people you unfollow, hide, see fewer posts, or as a last resort, unfriend. If you would avoid a certain type of person IRL, then avoid them on social media as well. 

That's fine. There's currently a facebook bashing thread, but Quill started this one in order not to hijack that one. Many of us do enjoy facebook and we like to know we're not alone, without taking away from the other thread.

• Like 2

I disagree.  Facebook is no substitute for meeting friends for social interaction - not even close.  It is merely a conduit for information.     At any rate, if someone in personal interaction does say something really offensive, I would confront it head on.  If it is bad enough to never want to see the person again, it is significant enough to confront.

Blocking and unfriending would have to be for really serious stuff, if I were sensitive enough to have to use it.  Anyone on my Facebook is already someone I feel I know well enough not to be offensive or obnoxious. 

There is always "unfollow" for that person that posts 50 times a day, though I haven't used it more than once or twice.  That seems more appropriate to me. 

I've only blocked a few people completely and those are all people I wouldn't consider safe to be around IRL.  Most of those blocks occurred when they tried to friend me and I was like, um, yeah, no.   No need to respond just block them.  I think I was only FB friends with a single person when I blocked them and it had nothing to do with what they posted on FB.  I will unsubscribe or hide people from my feed for excessive vaguebooking, excessively venomous  political posts (on any side) and the sharing of to many stupid FB chain letters.  That's just making it so their posts don't show up in my feed.  

If you wouldn't consider them "safe" to be around in real life, then why are some on your Facebook in the first place? 

Safe?  Are you related to the mafia or something? 

I don't even know any "unsafe" people, to my knowledge.  I do know people who blather on about nonsense or post excessive political memes, but oh well, let them.  Some of them only have Facebook to talk to, so what's it to me? 

FB told me about a talk on local, native, edible plants that was both *free* and being held two blocks from my place on a morning I could attend! The chap spoke a bit about the commercial side, which gave me a few ideas to take home to my brother. He is running for parliament and is very interested in agricultural ideas that might be of use to farmers surrounding a town in our electorate, who are struggling because they no longer have large enough parcels of land to support themselves on using their traditional crops. There's even a guy a few towns further along who has had a trial plot for the last 10 years and neither of us would have known about it otherwise.

So yay for FB. :)

Exactly.  A conduit for information. 

I love Facebook, too.  I don't have any family anywhere nearby, so having FB allows me to see pictures of my mom's new condo, and my nephews at their baseball games, and my cousin and his kids playing basket-ball, and my aunt and uncle celebrating their anniversary. I love that my aunt posts video of my 94 year old Grandma playing piano - seriously, there must be about 25 videos of my Grandma playing different songs.  She still plays piano everyday and my kids have been able to see those videos - even though they've never met my Grandma.  

It also gives me the opportunity to share some of my life out here with my family and friends.  Yesterday I saw an iceberg and posted a picture of it on FB.  

I don't have any weird friends who post annoying or disturbing things.  My family is fantastic and has never done anything that bugged me. 

Also, I don't spend a ton of time on it.

I don't see a downside for me.

That sounds great.  Wish I had that much family.  Are you very far away from them? 

I've only blocked a few people completely and those are all people I wouldn't consider safe to be around IRL.  Most of those blocks occurred when they tried to friend me and I was like, um, yeah, no.   No need to respond just block them.  

If you wouldn't consider them "safe" to be around in real life, then why are some on your Facebook in the first place? 

Did you actually read what Katie wrote that you quoted? They tried to friend her. She said to herself no way and blocked them. They were never actually facebook friends. 

• Like 1

Do you have anyone here at WTM on ignore? If so, how is that different than hiding or unfollowing someone on facebook? Do you find this forum a mostly undesirable tool because of a few people who rub you the wrong way? If so, why would you stay? I'm not trying to tell you "love it or leave it", just trying to show you why people would hide or block or unfollow someone and yet still enjoy the rest of facebook.

Do you realize that most of those quizzes are designed to get from you the very information you say you don't give out? Many fun quizzes are simply data-mining.

I totally agree with you! Some people over-share, whether they do it on facebook, twitter, here at WTM, or some other forum or online social media. I don't understand it either, but I'm a somewhat private person.

That's called vague-booking and those of us who don't vague-book also find it annoying. Those are the people you unfollow, hide, see fewer posts, or as a last resort, unfriend. If you would avoid a certain type of person IRL, then avoid them on social media as well. 

That's fine. There's currently a facebook bashing thread, but Quill started this one in order not to hijack that one. Many of us do enjoy facebook and we like to know we're not alone, without taking away from the other thread.

No, I have no one on ignore, though I bet I am on a few ignore lists.  ;)  I am just not that delicate that I cannot withstand viewpoints contrary to my own.   I have never used ignore, to my knowledge (It has been a long time - I should go check, if I can figure out where it is). 

If those who compile information from quizzes are interested to know that I can recognize any movie star, no matter how far back (got Louise Brooks on a quiz yesterday!), then that is information that they are welcome to have.  I had a mom who watched a lot of movies growing up,  so she shared them with me.   I would never answer anything significant or personal or that asks me to link with anything. 

Regarding vague-booking, I either ignore it, or just say, "Hey, who are you talking about here, because it's vague!" if I feel I know the person well enough. 

Sorry, if I posted on the wrong thread.  I just happened to see this one and respond to something someone said.