Menu

"It literally killed me."

Pegasus

We've literally been using the word as an intensifier ever since we stopped using it to refer exclusively to letters. If you don't gripe when people use "really" to refer to things that aren't "real" (it really killed me) or "truly" to refer to things that aren't true (truly, I'm wounded), then you should join with Mark Twain and Dickens and other writers of that caliber and stop peeving.

• Like 5

I'm okay with a lot of uses of 'literally', but attached to 'dead' is beyond what I can handle. It's like 'irregardless', where I begin questioning the intelligence of the person using it.

*twitch twitch!*

Edited by Arctic Mama

I teach in a Catholic school, and one of our theology teachers talks about how the Bible should be interpreted "literally" by which they mean "as a work of literature".  So, the story of Adam and Eve should be read "literally", that is to say, it should be read as a fable and not as an actual historical account.  It kind of makes my head spin.

Maybe your facebook friend died "literally" as interpreted by my theology teacher.  For example, maybe they were given a potion by a priest that caused them to appear dead for 42 hours, and were locked in a tomb with their actually dead (he died in a previous act after all) cousin Tybalt, to wait for a visit from their secret husband.  According to our theology teacher, that would be "literally dead".  

• Like 7

Facebook drives me crazy sometimes!

I recently saw " Are new puppy" and "Flustrated". De-thaw makes me cringe.

I am hoping that "flustrated" was a typo.  Or maybe a new portmanteau of "flustered" and "frustrated;" I could see that one.  But "are new puppy??"  That's not even a complicated word!  ACK!!

Word crimes, indeed.

I'm okay with a lot of uses of 'literally', but attached to 'dead' is beyond what I can handle. It's like 'irregardless', where I begin questioning the intelligence of the person using it.

*twitch twitch!*

But irregardless is a double negative. Does that mean when someone says irregardless they really mean 'regard'?

I dunno... I gotta say I'm literally glad these types of things (hyperbole or typos) don't bother me - esp on a message board of any type.  Graded or published writing would be different.

I wonder what makes us different?  (General "us" - those who cringe vs those who wonder why anyone would cringe)

• Like 7

Irregardless is my favorite. :) I wonder if by using irregardlessly in a sentence around here, you would make someone literally bust a vein. :D

I actually quite like the way irregardless sounds - it is a nice combination in the mouth. 

I also like "For all intensive purposes."  I have a very visual image of what an intensive purpose would be like.

• Like 4

I dunno... I gotta say I'm literally glad these types of things (hyperbole or typos) don't bother me - esp on a message board of any type.  Graded or published writing would be different.

I wonder what makes us different?  (General "us" - those who cringe vs those who wonder why anyone would cringe)

Well, I'm not cringing, I'm laughing but I do wonder why some cringe, some don't care, and some are rolling all over the floor (probably some overlap there :) ).  My dad was a totally doesn't care/laughs kind of guy.  My mom is a cringe/laughs kind of gal.  

• Like 3

I am so glad y'all started this thread. I don't feel too good this morning and am literally cracking up over here. But that's a mute point. I think I'll go aks the kids if they have seen the Captain Literally video. :D: :leaving:

No, it's a Moo Point. Like a Cow's opinion. :)

My personal teeth-grinders are: suppose instead of supposed "I'm suppose to" and of in place of 've "I would of".

• Like 4

Well, I'm not cringing, I'm laughing but I do wonder why some cringe, some don't care, and some are rolling all over the floor (probably some overlap there :) ).  My dad was a totally doesn't care/laughs kind of guy.  My mom is a cringe/laughs kind of gal.  

Note I never said I wasn't laughing.  ;)  

We (my family) can have quite the enjoyable time seeing some of these when they happen.  We just don't cringe unless they are in more formal writing (like when my school district sends home a notice to parents that hasn't been proofread enough).

Note I never said I wasn't laughing.   ;)

We (my family) can have quite the enjoyable time seeing some of these when they happen.  We just don't cringe unless they are in more formal writing (like when my school district sends home a notice to parents that hasn't been proofread enough).

:)  Yeah, I'm the same way.

My neighbor when I was a kid was the seriously cringing and definitely NOT laughing type.  She was a super nice lady but she scared me to death.  Every time I opened my mouth with her around I would second guess what I was saying. Make a slip and I was  :scared: inside as she strongly corrected me.  I guess it really mattered a lot to her.