Menu

If you don't like how your legs look--like down to your knees!--what do you wear to the pool?

6packofun

To actually swim laps, I mean, not lounge about.  I keep telling myself to just suck it up and buy a suit with shorts and even if they're too short, why do I care if people see my legs?  Well, I hate them.  They are hideous.  Gross.  And I don't have a bad self-image, I don't think, they are just a hereditary unattractive thing I have to live with.  So, I feel more comfortable overall, even though my legs will be underwater (hello, water is CLEAR?!!) if they are covered.  Skirts float about and don't cover anything.

What do you suggest?  Links to some choices are a great thing!  Thank you!

• Like 1

I'd just wear what ever is most comfortable to swim your laps. Seriously, NO ONE is looking at your legs while you swim. There are people of all shapes and sizes doing their thing in the water. Just enjoy yourself, and wrap up nice and warm in a giant cover-up or towel afterwards.

• Like 4

My girlfriends like the O'Neil wetsuits for themselves and their kids (boys and girls) for swimming laps

http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Womens-Reactor-Full/dp/B00880B95E

ETA:

The pools at the swim center where their kids have competition swim training are cold.

ETA:

Also we are near to where Mavericks is held and many adults and kids surf locally. Not unusual for people to have wetsuits for swimming/surfing and bikinis for lounging.

Edited by Arcadia

I don't love showing off my thighs but I suck it up and wear those little swim shorts and a rashie.

I think there's no way to avoid it. Honestly, if you wear something longer, people are going to look *more* unless you're in a heavily Muslim area or something.

• Like 5

When we lived in Hawaii, I had the cutest pair of knee length board shorts by Roxy or some other surf brand.  Something sort of like this: http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Rippers-Womens-Board-Stretch/dp/B017DYIFAC/ref=zg_bs_15835971_19

I thought they were cute without looking frumpy.  I liked that they weren't too stretchy, so they didn't get all bogged down while swimming. There was some stretch without being knit/swimsuit material. And since they are made for surfing, they stayed on while going in and out of the water.  I wasn't worried about modesty, but I tended to get a rash on my thighs when trying* to surf from laying on/falling off/trying to get back on the board. I can imagine swimming laps in them.

You could always wear the shorts to the pool-side, then take them off just before you jump in to swim laps!

*eta - heavy on the trying - I wish I had really learned to surf!!

Edited by wendy not in HI
  • Like 2

I wear a tank top and short swim suit set. I got it from Lands End.  There was a woman at the pool last year who wore a one piece but also a pair of board shorts. I doubt it was to cover her legs, she was quite athletic. I think she just felt more comfortable in them. She had more of a 'sporty' vibe. But, TBH, I think she took them off when she swam laps. But I know she had them on when she was out of the water.

I think covering up too much does just draw attention to it poolside. I have a friend who clearly has some body issues, and she practically wears a full outfit for the water. It does seem to draw a bit more attention than I think she would get if she just wore a short set. I am not saying that everyone who wears a big outfit swimming has body issues. It's just clear, as her friend, that she does.

And the coolibar stuff is nice. A friend got the whole deal, the pants and the long sleeved shirt etc. She said it was great when her kids were toddlers and she was spending all her time knee deep in the baby pool, or holding a non-swimming kid in the shallow end, etc. But she did not find it easy to actually swim in. She got a short and tank set and a tank and a swim skirt, for actual swimming laps.

Lounging and laps, I'd have different answers.  For laps, as little swimsuit as you can get away with (in terms of feeling comfortable).  So, shorts. Laps: no one cares, really and truly, just be comfortable.

I just wear a long-torso tank.  I do not have a long torso, but that 2 inches of extra fabric makes me feel less exposed.

• Like 1

I got a swimsuit custom made by this company: https://decentexposures.com/Swimwear

They make swim shorts, plus you can get the top fitted for your bra size. It's a lot more modest than anything I could find in stores.

Ruth

I didn't know they made swimsuits!  I bought a couple nursing bras from them and they were outstanding. They were super comfortable and lasted a very long time.

now I want one!

Edited by redsquirrel

Laps. No one, not even you is going to notice your knees. So, I think the answer is in how you cover up. I have a casual dress cover up that goes to my knees. I've seen women come to the pool in knee length bath robe like things. Where the cover up to the pool and onto the deck. Set up your equipment (kickboard, wateebottle, fins, etc) in front of the lane you will work in, then take off you cover up quickly drop it on a chair and jump in.

• Like 1

I don't love showing off my thighs but I suck it up and wear those little swim shorts and a rashie.

I think there's no way to avoid it. Honestly, if you wear something longer, people are going to look *more* unless you're in a heavily Muslim area or something.

Well, I don't want capri length leggings or whatever, but Bermuda short length, you know?  Would that really attract a lot of attention?  I saw these and thought it looked neat if I could find a plain black sporty top to go with:  http://www.amazon.com/Coolibar-Womens-Skirted-Swim-Shorts/dp/B00K7HZEAM/ Just not sure it's quite long enough.  This is totally not about modesty, per se, just my comfort because my legs are blahh.

And I definitely don't need a full technical suit with my pear shaped body!  Oh my Lord.  LOL

• Like 1

Well, I don't want capri length leggings or whatever, but Bermuda short length, you know?  Would that really attract a lot of attention?  I saw these and thought it looked neat if I could find a plain black sporty top to go with:  http://www.amazon.com/Coolibar-Womens-Skirted-Swim-Shorts/dp/B00K7HZEAM/ Just not sure it's quite long enough.  This is totally not about modesty, per se, just my comfort because my legs are blahh.

And I definitely don't need a full technical suit with my pear shaped body!  Oh my Lord.  LOL

I think if you can find longer board shorts, that doesn't attract much attention. I was thinking you wanted something to cover most of your legs. That always makes me go, oh, um, interesting, when I see people in really long things.

Though, even my shortish board shorts and rashie get lots of attention in some places. Not around here in an urban area where most kids and increasingly adults wear rashguards pretty routinely, but in rural areas where people clearly haven't all clued in about skin cancer.

Lots of drag with the shorts and skirt, so they will slow you down a lot with your forward glide through the water. Might as well just do water aerobics with those on. And honestly the only one who cares is you. People aren't doing laps to look at other bodies. They do their thing, get out, shower and go home. I'll bet a ton of the people can't even see so good because they don't have their glasses on.  You know, at some point in your life you just have to laugh and say to yourself, "This is my body. I'm going to enjoy doing things with it while I can."

• Like 1

I wear a regular bathing suit and don't care what anyone thinks. At least mine fits!!!

I can't tell you how many women (and a few men) squeeze into bathing suits they last wore in high school. Leaves nothing to the imagination because most is hanging out!!!

If you swim a lot you want a chlorine resistant bathing suit. I had a lovely bathing suit from lands end that literally disintegrated from the chlorine.

I like www.swimoutlet.com

Edited by gingersmom

Put on a cover up (robe or such??) before/after using the pool? While you're in it no one is looking and right as you step in well that's like a few seconds at most?

My most recent suit came from Target in a mix and match area and I found a tank for the top and shorts for the bottom. I usually wear some type of swim shorts over my suit, but since the bottoms are shorts I think I'm covered. Literally lol!

• Like 1

I can't help with the laps, but I understand the desire to cover up.  There's nothing I particularly detest about my legs or hips, I just generally don't want much showing.  I would be totally fine never going to a public swimming place, but I don't want to deprive my kids of beach experiences or invitations from friends to swim in their neighborhood pool.  So I'm one of the people with lots of lycra on them.  :D  I hope you find something workable.  I second the recommendations for Coolibar and Hydro Chic.  

I don't hate my legs particularly but I do prefer something a little more modest than a typical bathing suit... for the last couple of years I've worn a pair of past-mid-thigh women's swim trunks (Got them at Dillards but couldn't find them online though I KNOW that they had them in store two weeks ago)

I wear them to our combined water park/amusement park and  can wear them on rides where they don't allow 'bathing suits' because they look like shorts.

Something like these from Land's End. I have some from REI and I saw at one point that Columbia was making something similar. I LOVE mine. So great for rafting and stuff where I'd rather not scrape my legs up, but they are close fitting enough to not be boggy and weighty in the water. 

Edited by chocolatechip

I wore a bikini nine months (hugely) pregnant. No one said anything, except the lifeguard who told me not to drop the baby in the pool. It's okay to wear what ever you feel will be comfortable. Have you considered jammers (long, tight swim shorts) as bottoms?

Edited by ErinE

Have you considered jammers (long, tight swim shorts) as bottoms?

Yes, this is actually what I prefer but I can't seem to find many options.  There is Speedo, although I'm not sure they make the sizes quite high enough for me (hence the need for me to be swimming for exercise, LOL).  Do you think compression shorts would work?  I don't want to spend a lot on something that is going to be eaten up by chlorine, but I might be willing just to feel comfortable!  

(I literally do NOT have a swimsuit to wear so it's not like I can just "be proud" of my mom body and throw on something I already have, everyone's opinions of me be d*mned.  It's actually about ME and how I feel since I *have* to get something.  lol)

• Like 3

To actually swim laps, I mean, not lounge about.  I keep telling myself to just suck it up and buy a suit with shorts and even if they're too short, why do I care if people see my legs?  Well, I hate them.  They are hideous.  Gross.  And I don't have a bad self-image, I don't think, they are just a hereditary unattractive thing I have to live with.  So, I feel more comfortable overall, even though my legs will be underwater (hello, water is CLEAR?!!) if they are covered.  Skirts float about and don't cover anything.

Some women at our pool wear men's swim trunks over their suits to swim laps. I heard someone ask one of them (rude question, IMO, but whatever) and she said "I like the way it looks and feels better."

I have to cover up in the sun and wear swim capris and a long-sleeved shirt, both from Coolibar, when hanging out at the pool with my kids.  I think it looks cute enough but but it's a terrible outfit for swimming laps.  The shirt in particular throws off my stroke and in fact the last time I did a few laps with the shirt on I pulled my right shoulder.  

However, my 74yo mother swims laps every day and i'm pretty sure she wears some kind of shoulder-to-knee bathing suit to cover up her upper legs . . . I just poked around a bit on swim outlet.com and I think she wears a combination of a regular bathing suit (IIRC, she gets them at Costco) and something like this -- although not this exact pair, which is $$$ -- over it:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/oneill-womens-24-7-hybrid-surf-capri-8137619/?color=11046

Edited by JennyD

Several posters have mentioned that more coverage leads to more attention. That may be so, but it has zero influence on my choice of swimwear. I wear what makes me comfortable. I'm not going to wear the equivalent of lycra underwear just so I don't attract extra attention, KWIM?  :) People can look all they want--everything I want to be covered is covered (and my husband thinks I look awesome). 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

I have swim capris and long sleeve swim shirt.  When I first got them, I got a few looks, but now I have seen more adults and children wearing full body swim suits.  And I don't think it is a conservative dress issue, but rather a sun exposure.  In fact, I've been asked several times where I got mine because they are not in the stores around here.

I'd just wear what ever is most comfortable to swim your laps. Seriously, NO ONE is looking at your legs while you swim. There are people of all shapes and sizes doing their thing in the water. Just enjoy yourself, and wrap up nice and warm in a giant cover-up or towel afterwards.

Honestly this is where I am.  I feel swimsuits do not cover enough. I feel seriously un-modest in them. But my husband has told me that he's okay and the suits with skirts (a little bit more modest, though not by much) take a lot longer to dry. So I just tunnel vision. Focus on what I am doing and pretend no one else is there. Tell myself that I'm the one that cares the most. Etc.  It is good that I am there, at the gym, swimming laps. Good for me. Good for my fitness level. Etc. That's the goal. Full stop.

I don't hate my legs particularly but I do prefer something a little more modest than a typical bathing suit... for the last couple of years I've worn a pair of past-mid-thigh women's swim trunks (Got them at Dillards but couldn't find them online though I KNOW that they had them in store two weeks ago)

I wear them to our combined water park/amusement park and  can wear them on rides where they don't allow 'bathing suits' because they look like shorts.

Interesting. I'd be more concerned the other way around. Several local pools don't allow you to wear street clothes into the pool. I've been asked to show them I have a swim suit on because I wear a rash guard in the water to keep from burning and they want to make sure there is a swim suit as well. (And T-shirts are not allowed at all)

Several posters have mentioned that more coverage leads to more attention. That may be so, but it has zero influence on my choice of swimwear. I wear what makes me comfortable. I'm not going to wear the equivalent of lycra underwear just so I don't attract extra attention, KWIM? :) People can look all they want--everything I want to be covered is covered (and my husband thinks I look awesome).

This. A million times over. I know we get looks but myself and all my girls will not wear "Lycra underwear" in public. I think our suits are cute and we get comments on them and people ask wear to get them. We have a backyard pool and I am glad they get good sun coverage as well. But yeah mostly it's because I don't believe even one piece suits cover enough of the personal bits to be appropriate. And I don't care if that attracts attention. I'm ok with being different.

ETA: my boys wear rash guards with trunks. I would never allow speedos which is the boy equivalent to girls suits. We are equal opportunity coverage around here. ;)

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 2

I would be hesitant to wear compression shorts because the fabric may not handle the chlorine as well as swimsuit material.

Here's a website with jammers in larger sizes.

http://m.aerotechdesigns.com/mefiswjabl.html

I'm not familiar with this brand. The jammers I've purchased go by a different sizing so I don't know the fit.

Edited by ErinE

I would be hesitant to wear compression shorts because the fabric may not handle the chlorine as well as swimsuit material.

Here's a website with jammers in larger sizes.

http://m.aerotechdesigns.com/mefiswjabl.html

I'm not familiar with this brand. The jammers I've purchased go by a different sizing so I don't know the fit.

Ohh, do you wear men's?  I don't mind, but would like a liner...  lol

I have bad legs, very knobby knees that turn in, overall a bad shape, but really, I don't care what people think.  When I swam laps I just wore one of my dd's old lap suits.

But a friend of mine did like to cover more, and she wore men's jammers with her lap suit.  They don't cover your knees but they come down to just above the knee.  They cover and are comfortable for swimming laps. 

They also sell women's suits that are long, but they are for racing, and the material would not hold up well for everyday use. The Speedo one is on sale, but again, I don't think they would be good for everyday use. They stretch out quickly and wear out fast.

Good luck. 

Interesting. I'd be more concerned the other way around. Several local pools don't allow you to wear street clothes into the pool. I've been asked to show them I have a swim suit on because I wear a rash guard in the water to keep from burning and they want to make sure there is a swim suit as well. (And T-shirts are not allowed at all)

I haven't actually had any trouble. The top I wear is a tankini top (Rashies make me itchy - wet short sleeves are not my friend). Of course, I don't really swim that often, mostly I've used it at hotel pools and water parks. But it IS officially a bathing suit and made of appropriate materials -- I think those places are mostly bothered by cutoffs and things with bedazzlements that might come off in the pool on bottom and materials that will cling in a revealing manner (especially without appropriate underclothes) on top.

Swim shorts are not the way to go! Please do not buy these. In the water no one will see your legs. Even on deck, no one is going to see your legs. No one cares. Link to aquatic fitness suits: http://www.swimoutlet.com/womens-aquatic-fitness-swimwear-c9468/

Rather than being concerned with how you might appear, what are you going to do once you are in the water? Laps can be easy or challenging. Have a plan so when you are in the water you can accomplish a goal. Most other people in the pool are more focused on their goal than what your legs look like in the water. heck, most people would cheer you on for even trying lap swimming. 

I swim with a masters group 3x a week with women of all different shapes and sizes, young and old. For all of us it is just getting in the water and doing the workout that matters. Truth be told, the larger women are some of the faster more accomplished swimmers in the group. Get over your legs and get in the water!