Menu

What kinds of dogs are popular where you live? (And region/country).

Ginevra

This is pure idle curiosity. It kinda just follows a train of thought I had earlier; I was thinking about the Doberman my MIL had several years ago. That was a great dog. But I was also thinking, "Come to think of it, I have not known anyone to have a Doberman since." They may be "out" as dog fashion goes, maybe.

An awfully large number of people have Doodles or other Poodle crosses. It seems as though I barely hear someone say their dog's type anymore without saying "-oodle" in there somewhere. But I do not like Doodles or any kind of Poodle cross; this would not be the kind of dog for me.

Retrievers seem perenially popular. I see them often. I love German Shepherds, and a few other herding types. I see Border Collies, Aussies, Shelties and some mixes of those types. I would happily have another GSD, or other herding type dog.

Toys and terriers are not my style, although my neice fostered a very dear Rat Terrier-looking dog once; I wouldn't be opposed to one of them.

So, what kinds of dogs are popular where you are? And/or what kinds of dogs do you like and are they common or uncommon where you live?

• Like 1

I think many people around here are trying to rescue and most of the rescue dogs are pit mixes.

We have a boxer and I have not seen another one at the dog park. When we had a mastiff, there was a bull mastiff that came to the dog park. They played well together. Haven't seen him in some time either.

ETA: This is CA, greater Sacramento area.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

Labs & Goldens, mixes like Labradoodles

Terriers

Malteses, Shih Tzus, Bichons, Lhasa Apsos and similar small, "girlie" breeds

Some beagles and German Shephers, though these seem less popular than when I was a kid

I don't think I've seen any Huskies, Malamutes, Samoyeds etc. out here, probably because it gets too hot in the summer.

• Like 1

Chihuahuas. Omg, I swear every third house has one. San Antonio, Texas.

Haha! No offense to those who love them, but those dogs...well, they are not for me. :D

• Like 1

At the shelters and rescues -- Pit mixes, Labs and Lab mixes, beagles and plain old all American mutts

Outside of shelters/rescue groups the most common that I notice are Labs, beagles and Shih Tzus.  We just moved and in our new neighborhood so far I've met three other Shih Tzus (besides our own!) and a miniature Doxie.  Dogs I've seen but not yet met include a whole bunch of beagles, a GSD, two what appear to be Lhasa Apsos, a mediumish shaggy terrier type and a couple of big all American mutts.

ETA -- I"m in North Carolina.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I see a pretty good variety around here.  Central NC.

Lots of toy breeds and chihuahuas in the rescues I follow on FB.

Lots of pits and lab mixes and large mutts in the shelters I follow.

Tons of rescued hounds in my area, beagles and feists and more.

My neighbor had a boxer that just got put down (age).  At the trail we frequent, we see small terrier (the fluffy sort, as well as rat and Jack), as well as bigger dogs of the shaggy, friendly, nondescript variety.

• Like 1

In our neighborhood I see a lot of goldendoodles and standard poodles, Aussies, golden retrievers,  yorkies, and shitzus. We see others, but those are the most common. I saw a guy walking 2 beautiful collies last week. I used to see more of those as a kid, but those were the only ones I've seen in a while. 

I've seen several dobermans the last few years. A friend of mine had 2 and we've seen a couple at parks. 

--We are in VA

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

DC - It seems like nearly everyone has a pit mix. I honestly get surprised when I see other types of dogs, especially little dogs. I'd wager that at least 75% of the dogs in my neighborhood are some sort of pit mix. I'm pretty sure it's because pit mixes are pretty much the only dogs you can adopt here and there aren't as many people who want to do breeders.

• Like 2

I'm in the southeast, I see: huskies, Great Danes, boxers, chihuahuas, pit mixes, yorkies, beagles, poodles, and poodle mixes.

There always seem to be a lot of lab mixes at the humane society but I never see labs. Bird hunting isn't popular kind here so I guess that's why. I don't see Rottweilers around here either and they seemed popular where I grew up.

• Like 1

Well, I run in dog circles, so I see a bunch of everything. Among our agility friends, I've learned that way more Border Collies exist than I ever thought possible! We are in a very hot climate, and I still see a bunch of Husky/Malamute, furry dogs - mostly snowbirds, I imagine, though. We have a lab, a mini australian shepherd, and two rescue mixes (most likely pitt/boxer/lab). The one dog I will say I don't seem to see a bunch of is chow chow; I probably notice because I grew up with 3 of them!

Huskys do fine in hot weather.  They shed most of their undercoat.  Ours lived in Texas and Florida for awhile.  If we had to leave him outside for any length of time we filled up a kiddie pool with water.  He was an indoor dog.  I loved him with all my heart and it broke my heart when we had to put him down due to old age.  However, unless I have a lot of land I will not likely have another.  They are very smart, very alpha, have a great desire to run, sees all animals other than dogs as supper and shed like crazy.  He was a lot of work for a dog.  

I now have a standard poodle who doesn't have the instincts that the husky did but is still pretty smart.  He gets upset easier and has some more health problems.  He is a great dog in a lot of ways and is great with kids.

I've seen lots of pits and mixes, shepherds, yorkies, labs, retrievers, and mutts.

• Like 2

I'm in Nova Scotia.  There is a fair variety, but among the types that people get on purpose there are a lot of labs, golden retrievers, and a fair variety of small dogs.  More of those seem to be crosses these days, like cocker/cavalier, cocker/apso, poodles with any of those, and so on.  They are just as expensive so I think people are generally looking for a small dog without the health issues, and they add in the poodle if they want to reduce fur problems.

In urban areas a lot of the picked breeds seem to include pugs and French bulldogs.

Quite a lot of people have more accidental mixes, and the most common include pits, German Shepherds, labs, and beagles - all the dogs who escape, I think.

• Like 2

I love Dobermans but have not seen any in years.

I definitely live in big dog country. Lots of labs and lab mixes, German shepherds, Rottweiler, boxers and several huskies in my neighborhood.

I have a Chesapeake bay retriever but have not met any others.

Dobermans were more common here a while ago.  I think they've gone out of style.

• Like 1

Organic, slave-free, non-gluten, nut-free designer mutts. If it's not a rescue, you'd best claim it is.

I laughed out loud, because I know (generally) where you live. :D

DC - It seems like nearly everyone has a pit mix. I honestly get surprised when I see other types of dogs, especially little dogs. I'd wager that at least 75% of the dogs in my neighborhood are some sort of pit mix. I'm pretty sure it's because pit mixes are pretty much the only dogs you can adopt here and there aren't as many people who want to do breeders.

When we adopted my dog, who is either a rare kooikerhondje https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kooikerhondje or a fluffy little mutt, there was a pretty wide variety of dogs available in DC area rescues. But I agree that many people rescue pits and pit mixes.

I now live in the suburbs, in a neighborhood of rental apartments, all of which ban pits. I see a lot of boxers and Old English Bulldogs which seem to be what you get when you can't have a pit, and lab mixes, and a lot of small fluffy designer dogs -- Cavachons and miniature goldedoodles in particular.

My friends who live in houses seem to have a lot of beagles, but beagles are too noisy for apartments.

Edited by Daria
  • Like 1

We live in a mix area... but lots of pits.

Also, a lot of small dogs.  My neighbor has something that looks like a mini-papillon - they have no kids.    She's really cute - will look like a puppy forever... but man- she barks at anything that moves and is very aggressive.   Our neighborhood has mostly small dogs like Maltese, Jack Russels, Bostons... with a few big ones thrown in - mostly labs and retrievers.   We even have a very large Huskie in the condo's in our neighborhood.  I feel very sorry for that dog.   It gets far too hot here for a dog like that - and that thing looks like a Huskie- Bernese Mountain dog mix.  It's that big and hairy. 

Not too many GSD (which I also LOVE).

And not too Spaniels - which I also like.

We have Coonhound mix ... everyone remarks at how beautiful he is.  I think it's because we don't see very many of them around here. 

• Like 1

Labs & Goldens, mixes like Labradoodles

Terriers

Malteses, Shih Tzus, Bichons, Lhasa Apsos and similar small, "girlie" breeds

Some beagles and German Shephers, though these seem less popular than when I was a kid

I don't think I've seen any Huskies, Malamutes, Samoyeds etc. out here, probably because it gets too hot in the summer.

I live next to a high density area full of young singles/young marrieds and retired people and the little dogs make sense in these small apartments/condos/houses.  I see a few people in the broader neighborhood with big dogs (newfies, standard poodles, alsatians), but mostly it's the "substitute baby" dogs.

My youngest has fallen in love with Corgis and now points them out whenever we pass them. And so it seems like we see a lot of them. There is one who must live in our neighborhood--we see him a lot. In fact, I think we keep seeing the same 5 or 6 dogs over and over. Did you know Corgi breeders want $1200-$1500? Yikes. And you can't run with them. If we get dd a dog I'd want she could run with.

• Like 1

Tokyo area, Japan: Pomeranians, Chihuahua, Dachsund,  mini Poodle, Golden Retriever, Husky (occasionally)  Housing is small so I think most people try to have smaller sized dogs. Owning pets here is expensive and seen as a luxury thing (like a status symbol almost) and it's mostly about dressing up your dog with bows, studded collars, skirts, sweaters,etc. May be different in a more rural area though. 

Edited by waa510
  • Like 1

I'm not much help since I just live on da Interwebz as far as da Interwebz are concerned, but there are only two kinds of dogs in my undisclosed location: pit bulls and not-pit bulls.

If you own a not-pit bull, you are in danger of people jumping to the erroneous conclusion that you don't like pit bulls.

• Like 1

Anything goes here...I can think of friends who have everything from registered Cockapoos, Labs, terriers.... to mini-sized dogs that would fit in your pocket, Chihuahuas, maltipoos...... to Great Danes, Akbash, Rots, 

We live 15 minutes from a large city, so small dogs are popular there.

We live in the suburbs so family dogs are popular in my neighborhood.

Ranches are 15 on the other side, so real working dogs are popular there. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

My youngest has fallen in love with Corgis and now points them out whenever we pass them. And so it seems like we see a lot of them. There is one who must live in our neighborhood--we see him a lot. In fact, I think we keep seeing the same 5 or 6 dogs over and over. Did you know Corgi breeders want $1200-$1500? Yikes. And you can't run with them. If we get dd a dog I'd want she could run with.

You can't run with them?  They are heelers though, wouldn't they have to run a lot for that?

• Like 1

I'd originally written "yippy" and changed it to "girlie" because I wanted to be fair. Not all the little "girlie" breed digs are yippy even if it seems that most are...

My SIL and her room mate rescued a chihuahua. NOT my favorite bred at all. I had never known a no yippy one and I can not tolerate yippy. But this one doesn't yip at all. She has actually grown on me.

No idea. Lots of medium-big dogs, but I'm not a dog person. And people look at you like you have decapitated heads stored in your deep freezer when you tell them that.

Totally a tangent, but I know! I'm really allergic to dogs. Not being able to breathe when handling them despite that I take a daily antihistamine pretty distinctly makes me not a dog person, but people seem to think it's a moral failure that I want to have nothing to do with your dog. People don't act that way about my comparable allergy to cats and horses. I wish it could be treated with the same moral neutrality as peanut butter.

Edited by MrsWeasley
  • Like 1

I don't have a clue. I see a lot of labs (both black and yellow but rarely chocolate) and lab mixes. Our shelter has a lot of pit bulls but I think that has more to do with the rescue situation than their popularity. 

I'm going to go with labs and lab mixes as well as general mixed breeds (aka mutts).

Well that's because nobody likes cats!

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding, please don't come after me Cat People!)

LOL, I have a cat and I'm not a cat person, either. The vet's office gets so irritated because we got the cat at 6-8 weeks old and I have no idea how old she is. I have to count back, but can't remember exactly which year and usually am off by 1-2 years. I'm not making her a cake or throwing a party, I barely get that much done for my kids.

Come to think of it, maybe I'm not a kid person either...

Anyway, back to dogs. Sorry.

• Like 1

Pitbulls and Boxers are pretty big around here.  GSDs and toy breeds after that, I guess.  Mutt rescues are probably the most common, thank goodness.

We had GSD/Rottie and Lab/Rottie mixes.  Now we have a <5lb rat-like thing, said to be a chi/pug/pom/shih mutt, but I'm guessing more chi/terrier/pug.

Forgot to add: semi-rural PA.

Edited by Carrie12345

I was waiting for someone to mention corgis :wub:.  Granted, idk anyone else in our area with one, but everyone seems to think our guy's all kinds of cute ;).  We managed to get ours for $850 last summer (did have to drive 2.5 hours to the breeder, but that's not bad), and there are many corgi rescue societies; granted, there's a lot more people wanting corgis from the corgi rescue than corgis being rescued, but my sis-in-law is connected with the corgi rescues groups and seemed to have no problem finding available corgis when we were looking.  Maybe friend all the regional corgi rescue groups on FB and your dd can get to know the people involved - have corgi fun even if y'all don't end up getting one of your own :).

(As for the actual question, I'm not very good with breeds - only size and color ;).  I'd say half the dogs in our area are biggish short-haired dogs, and the other half are various smaller dogs with longer or curly fur.  Lots of help, I know ;).)

You can't run with them?  They are heelers though, wouldn't they have to run a lot for that?

Our corgi at least runs pretty fast - my oldest can run with him pretty well.  But maybe that's more a jogging pace for an adult/teen, instead of a running pace (as it is for my 9yo).

• Like 1

Pitbulls and Boxers are pretty big around here. GSDs and toy breeds after that, I guess. Mutt rescues are probably the most common, thank goodness.

We had GSD/Rottie and Lab/Rottie mixes. Now we have a <5lb rat-like thing, said to be a chi/pug/pom/shih mutt, but I'm guessing more chi/terrier/pug.

Lol! I have heard chihuahuas being described at times as rats that bark...