Menu

Low-rise and even mid-rise jeans are made to fall down

Tranquility7

So I just bought new jeans. The highest rise ones I could find at Target (which is where I've bought jeans f or the last ten years) were midrise, and they are lower than my previous jeans. They slid down my hips ALL.THE.TIME. How could they not? The way they are shaped, there is no hope that they will do anything but fall down! If I put a belt on, they will just make a muffin top on me if I actually tighten the belt enough to keep the pants from falling down. So unflattering. :blink:

I am definitely not small, but neither am I huge. The jeans are "tighter" than I want already, so I can't get a smaller size. But these drive me NUTS. I wish pants *at the waist* would simply come back in style. They just make more sense!!! Am I the only one who is so tired of the low-rise, mid-rise trend??

• Like 10

I have a long torso so I can only wear high rise without being obscene. The low and even mid rise don't cover much of anything.

I did see a pair of high rise shorts at target recently, but I actually found some high rise capris and pants at Rue 21 when I took my son to try on shorts. I don't normally shop there for myself, but I'm going to start if they keep carrying high rise bottoms.

• Like 2

I have to go for Levis Curvy range for ladies or go for the boys jeans of any brand because those sit just below my belly button. My hips are big so I just deal with jeans being too loose at the waist.

I find plenty of dress pants that sit on the waist but I prefer jeans.

• Like 3

I think some of it's the fabrics too. I have a couple of pairs of non-stretch jeans that I love but the fabric sags and grows when it warms against your body to the point I can just slide them over my hips. My actual stretchy jeans don't ever do that. 

Personally I don't care how un-hip I am at this point. I will wear mom-jean rise jeans. To the belly-button rise. No one in the world needs to see my squishy mid section. I get Faded Glory dark rinse or black jeans at Walmart ($15). They are nice looking and no one would think "Walmart" looking at me. 

Edited by pinkmint
  • Like 4

I also do well with Eddie Bauer jeans. But once I started buying jeans with a little stretch, I had to get a smaller size. When I got jeans that felt comfortable in the dressing room (like my old non-stretchy denim), the lycra or whatever it is that's in them makes them loosen up within a short time of putting them on and I have to pull them up all the time. So even though I consider myself to be about a size 10, I need to buy the size 6 Eddie Bauer jeans.

I'm gonna have to give a shout out once again to the Jag Pull-On Jeans. As long as you don't feel the need to tuck in your shirt, you can wear them all over town and not have them fall down or be uncomfortable at the waist. The band is a lot like a maternity pants panel. I love how flat and nice it lays under a shirt. http://www.amazon.com/Jag-Jeans-Womens-Malia-Shadow/dp/B00J8XRQPC/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1459462915&sr=1-3&nodeID=1040660&keywords=jag+pull+on+jeans

• Like 2

High rise is coming back (think Taylor Swift's outfits) 

The trendy stores have them. like this 

Gap had some too when I was shopping in Dec. 

Those have the same kind of rise I wore in high school in the early 90's. :coolgleamA: I think it's great they're coming back! 

I'm gonna have to give a shout out once again to the Jag Pull-On Jeans. As long as you don't feel the need to tuck in your shirt, you can wear them all over town and not have them fall down or be uncomfortable at the waist. The band is a lot like a maternity pants panel. I love how flat and nice it lays under a shirt. http://www.amazon.com/Jag-Jeans-Womens-Malia-Shadow/dp/B00J8XRQPC/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1459462915&sr=1-3&nodeID=1040660&keywords=jag+pull+on+jeans

ok I am trying them.  Tho very concerned about 33 in inseam.  Holy cow.  I will have to take off 5 inches.

• Like 2

I've seen you mention these before and I keep eyeing them. The best part about maternity jeans is never having to mess with a zipper or button. These look amazing. I hate to buy jeans online though when I can't try them on.

Have you tried the bermuda shorts? It's about to be a billion degrees here and I won't wear jeans again until October. Are the shorts as amazing as the pants?

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 1

I love mid-rise jeans  :wub: because they're so comfortable.  I don't think I can ever go back.  I have a whole closet full of high-rise that never get worn anymore.

Same here. I'm so short-waisted that jeans that come up to my waist cut into my stomach and make me feel ill.

• Like 1

I've seen you mention these before and I keep eyeing them. The best part about maternity jeans is never having to mess with a zipper or button. These look amazing. I hate to buy jeans online though when I can't try them on.

Have you tried the bermuda shorts? It's about to be a billion degrees here and I won't wear jeans again until October. Are the shorts as amazing as the pants?

I do have a pair of the jeans shorts, but I really should have gotten the smaller size. I waivered between two sizes but chose the bigger one. If I had chosen the smaller size, I would probably wear them more when out and about, but with them being bigger, I mostly wear them around the house/gardening/cleaning in the summer. I have thought about getting one or two of the bermudas; if I do, I'll be trying the smaller size for a more put-together appearance.

And yeah...I love never buttoning and zipping those jeans!

• Like 1

ok I am trying them. Tho very concerned about 33 in inseam. Holy cow. I will have to take off 5 inches.

That's so funny to me because I'm on the tall side for a lady and always struggled to find pants with a long enough inseam until longer leg lengths were "in style."

• Like 2

How I found what fit best for me was to go to the thrift store and try on a bunch of different brands and cuts. I ended up really liking Loft's Modern Straight jeans, as well as skinnies, styles 917 and 312, from The Limited. Even though I swore I'd never wear skinny jeans, these particular ones are so comfy. Those are both stores that I would usually never shop at so I'm glad I was able to discover I liked them without ever having to step foot in the mall or order online. Those jeans are the first I've had in a long time that truly fit and the price was right. :)

I wish high rise waists would come back, too  (ETA: and by "Come back" I mean not just  $90+ jeans but come back enough to have trickled down into my price range for jeans!)  I have the same problem with pants falling. It's also hard for me because I am not "curvy" and pants that fit at the waist are way too big in the thighs. I have to buy skinny jeans for that, but still have the slippage problem at the waist. 

Edited by Laurie4b

Same here! I love low and mid rise jeans; they're so much more comfortable! Butt :) you do have to try and find different brands to see what fits you well.

I love mid-rise jeans :wub: because they're so comfortable. I don't think I can ever go back. I have a whole closet full of high-rise that never get worn anymore.

• Like 1

How tall are you btw?

I find they simply don't make these sorts of jeans to fit short people.  Usually the mid rise comes up a lot higher than that on me. 

Earl Jeans has a midrise that works well on my 5'2" body, size 12 body. They have a decent selection of petites. And they don't fall down!

• Like 1

I have some Ann Taylor skinny jeans I love that come to my belly button(I have a pretty short torso). I always wear a belt too, always, keeps pants where they are supposed to be. Depending on your body type different things look flattering on different people(as the same jeans fit different women differently) but I do think for most mom age low rise jeans are not the best look, even a lot of teenagers really, pants that accentuate belly and hip fat no thank you. For me jeans that come up to my belly w/ a bit of stretch in them keep my lines a lot more smooth and I don't have to keep pulling anything up or worrying about what is hanging out.  I wore a high waisted retro skirt for Easter and felt like a movie star (as to what anyone else thought I don't know or care). 

Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans are my favorite. :)

:iagree:  I like the high rise, because it is comfortable and doesn't expose anything to the world that I'd rather keep covered. The Amanda jeans from Kohls have been working well for me, and they come in a variety of colors. I don't care how the waist looks, because I never tuck in my shirts anyway.

• Like 1

Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans are my favorite. :)

:iagree:  I like the high rise, because it is comfortable and doesn't expose anything to the world that I'd rather keep covered. The Amanda jeans from Kohls have been working well for me, and they come in a variety of colors. I don't care how the waist looks, because I never tuck in my shirts anyway.

:iagree:

I'm super short and the GV Amanda jeans fit me w/o needing to be hemmed!  There are no adequate words to convey how happy that makes me. :)   And for that alone I love them.

I love lands end for jeans. You can get the rise you like and the length you like.  As a petite person (I am 5') I love that I can get TWO sizes of short jeans.  I can get the standard petite instep that I use for my boot cut jeans and a heel or a clog...but...BUT...they also have an even shorter length (or at least they did) that I can wear with flats. I have NEVER been able to wear flats with pants without the pants pooling up around my feet.

But they also have different rises as well. I have 3 pair that are going on 3 years old and they have not faded or torn and I pretty much just rotate through them as my pants. So, that is a lot of wear over the years.

I knooooowwwww but they are twice as muuuuuch she whines.

I will probably end up returning them but Im thinking I can *maybe* alter them myself.  I have to look at them first.

Jeans are horrible! I cant seem to find a pair that is not SKIN TIGHT on my thighs or butt... and if they are loose there then it looks like I have man parts between my legs because of all the extra material... I cant stand jean shopping, skirts are my new thing - they are freeing :laugh:

Maybe there are the perfect pair out there but they are probably not in my price range...

When I was thinner (about a size 6) I found that men's jeans fit so much better. No one knew they were men's (I am pretty feminine) and they fit awesome. I still have my favorite pair even though I will never see that size again. They were sold by waist/length so I got a good fit and they didn't get so stretched out.

Now I am a regular middle age mom body and can't find jeans :(

I knooooowwwww but they are twice as muuuuuch she whines.

I will probably end up returning them but Im thinking I can *maybe* alter them myself.  I have to look at them first.

Ugh, I hadn't even noticed the price on the regular length. No way I would buy them because I have no altering skills. I also find that regular sized things don't fit well even if shortened, but that's just me. 

I don't know if this happens with other brands or if Jag is just cheap or weird. But the dark colors have a very strong odor at first. I almost returned them because it seemed like it would never fade but it did. They fit me well so I kept them since my out-of-proportion lower half makes pants-shopping difficult. I ordered several sizes because my waist is huge and my hips are not, and had no problem with returns for the ones that were too big.

Gotta put in a good word for Lee jeans at Penney's. Try some on in various sizes in regular and short. They have a regular sewn waistband but it is wide and actually fits which is advertised as making you look a size smaller - this is true. I have been systematically eliminating all my pants (not just jeans) and replacing them with Lees. They also carry Lees at Wal-Mart although some of them look like they are not made as well as the ones at Penney's with the exception of the straight leg jeans which are just as good if not better. There are all types of styles and colors, too. I own several dark blue jeans and also bought two pair of tan colored jeans. I also bought shorts and capris. With sales they run about $24 because they have buy one, get one half price and other discounts.

When I was thinner (about a size 6) I found that men's jeans fit so much better. No one knew they were men's (I am pretty feminine) and they fit awesome. I still have my favorite pair even though I will never see that size again. They were sold by waist/length so I got a good fit and they didn't get so stretched out.

Now I am a regular middle age mom body and can't find jeans :(

That's a great idea!!!

Not Your Daughter's Jeans are magical.

They sit at the waist.

They make you look a size smaller.

They wear like iron.

Nordstrom Rack has them at prices I consider reasonable.  Full priced ones are priceyish, but the first pair I bought was full price (I was desperate) and I wore them all the time for several years.  I definitely got my money's worth out of them.

Before curvy jeans were a thing, I wore at-the-waist relaxed fit jeans because they were the only ones that both fit in the hips and didn't gape horribly in the back.  But I *much* prefer mid-rise curvy jeans, which are cut high enough in the back to fully cover my derrière but are mid-rise in the front - I hate how tight at-the-waist jeans are over my (not exactly flat ;)) stomach.  But regular mid-rise jeans are an exercise in frustration - if they fit in the hips, they inevitably gape horrifically in the back.  Heck, jeans can be uncomfortably tight in the hips *and* stomach, and still gape horrifically in the back.  I don't even bother to try on non-curvy jeans anymore.  (Although I'm apparently curvier than most curvy cut jeans are designed for, because I've only found *one* brand that (mostly) doesn't gape - Levi 529 curvy.)