Menu

Spices for oven roasted vegetables

Rachel

What do you use?

My go to is olive oil, salt, pepper (sometimes white instead of black), garlic powder, and smoked paprika. I use that on sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus.

On zucchini and onions I use cumin, salt, and pepper.

Since I've started roasting vegetables my entire family is eating a lot more vegetables and more variety.

My kids are not big on smoke paprika though and I would like to have more variety of flavors, make some suggestions of spice combinations please.

• Like 1

I love the Johnny's Garlic Spread powder at Costco (found with the other spices). Coat the veggies in olive oil, then sprinkle with the powder, and roast. It has Parmesan cheese and other spices beyond garlic in it, and is very yummy. I love it best on cauliflower, but it also works on broccoli, zucchini, and green beans.

• Like 1

My basic is just salt, pepper, and garlic with olive oil. Depending on what I'm having them with I might also add rosemary and thyme, or cumin, or 5 spice powder, or curry powder. Occasionally other flavors too, something that echos what I'm using in the entree, but those are my most frequent.

• Like 2

My go to is olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Sometimes I jazz things up by adding fresh rosemary.

I do something similar but I use cider vinegar and a little honey.  I'll add rosemary, or sometimes a little cinnamon, or summer savoury.

• Like 1

I tend to open the spice cabinet and see what jumps out at me that day. Rosemary is a favorite as is basil. Mrs. Dash's table blend is great, as is any garlic and herb sprinkle. Also, Chef' Paul's poultry magic is, indeed, magic :) 

• Like 1

I mix up this Italian Seasoning mix & love it on everything, including roasted veggies. (When roasting veggies, I'll toss them in olive oil, then toss in the seasoning to coat.)

ETA: I don't use a food processor or anything. I have all these spices on hand & just measure them out & put them in a small jar together, then shake. LOL. I guess shaking is my 'food processor' part.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 2

I use montreal steak seasoning on roasted vegetables WAY more often than I use it on meat. I just like it and the flavors seem to be open to any fresh herbs I might add.

Eta: I always coat the veggies in a little olive oil first.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

On carrots, pumpkin and butternut I usually use cinnamon, paprika, ground ginger and sumac. Sometimes also cumin and coriander.

Broccoli I just roast straight with olive oil and fresh garlic.

Mediterranean type veggies (eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes) will get garlic, basil, chilli and cumin and coriander.

I may throw in olives or pinenuts depending on which vegetables I'm roasting.

• Like 2

I love these ideas. I discovered smoked paprika only recently -- agreeing that it is so good.

Ethiopian berbere (Penzeys has it) is amazing on cooked greens. Bland spinach becomes exciting!

Did anyone mention turmeric? I have an Indian style recipe that uses it on roast cauliflower. Beautiful color and all kinds of health benefits.

Btw, one of my dd's favorite activities is to go to Penzey's with me a smell all the samples. That store is absolutely worth a visit!

• Like 1

I love these ideas. I discovered smoked paprika only recently -- agreeing that it is so good.

Ethiopian berbere (Penzeys has it) is amazing on cooked greens. Bland spinach becomes exciting!

Did anyone mention turmeric? I have an Indian style recipe that uses it on roast cauliflower. Beautiful color and all kinds of health benefits.

Btw, one of my dd's favorite activities is to go to Penzey's with me a smell all the samples. That store is absolutely worth a visit!

I've never heard of Penzeys, but there is one an hour from me. Next time I get that way I'll stop by.

• Like 1

Lots of options!

Brown sugar, cinnamon, and a little nutmeg

Dill and lemon (after you pull them out of the oven)

Thyme and a little garlic

Ginger and cinnamon

Garlic, oregano, parmesan cheese, and a little nutritional yeast (optional)

Sage, tarragon, and marjoram

Fennel seeds and coriander seeds

Rosemary and a little thyme

Cumin, fennel seeds, black pepper, and sesame

Lots and lots of options!

Berbere is easy enough to make. Here's one recipe, but there are others. I believe my recipe calls for a few bay leaves. It's always better to blend your own spices in small batches than to purchase ready-made spice mixes. That way, your spices are fresh.

Edited by Tanaqui

I really like to keep it simple: salt, pepper, an oil, and an acid. Usually that's olive oil and lemon wedges from our overproducing tree. I like to cover in foil for the first half/third of cooking time, so the veggies can steam in the lemon juice, and then open it up for the maillard reaction to do its magic.

I use montreal steak seasoning on roasted vegetables WAY more often than I use it on meat. I just like it and the flavors seem to be open to any fresh herbs I might add.

We frequently do the same thing.

My favorite for roasted potatoes is olive oil, salt, pepper, dried minced onions, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and marjoram.

For asparagus, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic.

Sweet potatoes - butter, chili powder, paprika, and cinnamon

Zucchini - S&P and parmesan cheese

Peppers, onions, squash, mushrooms - S&P, garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary

I like turmeric on cauliflower but my family isn't crazy about it.

Lana

• Like 2

I love that Montreal steak seasoning too. I almost always use it on roasted vegetables and when I'm sautéing cabbage.

On carrot coins I drizzle butter and sprinkle pepper and garlic salt - they are simple and oh so very yummy!

On mixed roasted veggies I just use olive oil and sale and pepper (zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, bell pepper, asparagus, red onion)

On butternut squash I used nutmeg, Rosemary, salt, tiny bit of sweetener

On cauliflower I use olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika (sweet, not smokey)

On asparagus I use bit of olive oil and lemon pepper

On acorn squash I use maple syrup

I pretty much use olive oil for any veggie cooking.

Lemon pepper is a must for greens like kale or chard. I also like it on asparagus.

Depending on mood and entree being served, seasoning will vary. Typical ones I use (besides lemon pepper) are

Salt

Seasoning Salt

Turmeric

Paprika

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Italian seasoning

Oregano