Menu

Tweens and leggings

SKL

I have two 9yo daughters.  One in particular is difficult to dress for casual times.  She will not wear jeans or "pants."  She likes dresses/skirts, but they are not ideal for every activity.  She's short (about 4') and slim with muscular legs.

Up until now, she has worn leggings like pants for casual wear.  I know there comes a time when that doesn't fly any more.  Is 9yo too old for a T-shirt and leggings?  How about 10yo?  11?  And what then?  Skirts all the time?

Anyone have some nice casual fashion ideas for a tween who won't wear pants/jeans?

I have my 12 yo DD (who's adult size) wear shirts or tunics that cover her rear. Leggings are fashionable these days, and it seems like anything goes. Personally I don't prefer them on my older kids with tops that don't cover the rear. 

• Like 3

My tween wears a lot of dresses and skirts with opaque leggings. Many of them are 'skater dresses' that are t-shirt material and slim fitting. She also has a few things that are tunic length, including blouses, sweaters and some long t-shirts.

If she didn't want to wear her pants and shirts, she would certainly have enough to go on with her existing legging-based options. But I wouldn't let her pair an ordinary t-shirt with leggings... Unless the were very pants-like in appearance, I guess. Her leggings (that she has) aren't very pants-like.

• Like 3

I have a 10 and a 12 year old who are similar. The 12 year old just got her first pair of jeans. I just started insisting on longer t-shirts. It's not ideal but I decided it wasn't worth fighting about. And social pressure eventually encouraged the 12 year old.

Leggings are still trendy for the tween and teen crowd.  We just bought several from the JCPenney Juniors section.  Wear them with whatever shirt you want.  My dd likes leggings and t-shirts.  This is acceptable fashion among the girls she knows.

Black yoga capris (fit like leggings) are also completely acceptable fashion for her age (15).  Walmart carries some.

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 1

I'm struggling to find clothing for my 9 year old.   She doesn't love jeans (though she's currently wearing a pair of jean capris that I bought 2ndhand -- they're well-broken in).  Around the house, she wears a lot of leggings and t-shirts (we go for longer tees that cover the rear).  She also wears these pants from Target, which are very comfy.  They feel like jogging pants but are nicer looking.  

For nicer casual, we do leggings and these tops (casual, t-shirt dresses).

• Like 1

DD11 wears a lot of dresses with leggings.  She's slender, long legged, with muscular legs (she's a tumbler, and it shows), but isn't curvy yet.  I tend to buy leggings that are more like pants than like tights. She likes long t-shirts and pajama pants, too.

She likes dresses like this-http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00X3OIV8I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=6O0HYE4U0W0L&coliid=I1BEY849P1OMC0&psc=1

My dd is 12. She wears leggings or yoga pants almost every day. Sometimes her shirt completely covers her bottom but most of the time it doesn't.

These are true leggings, not tights.

She usually has on tights and a leotard under her leggings but I don't think that matters.

She does have a couple pair of stretch jeans (I think one pair is labeled jeggings, but they have a waistband and zipper) that are so stretchy that she finds them comfortable.

• Like 1

...She likes dresses/skirts, but they are not ideal for every activity....

You can do most anything in a skirt/dress, with the possible exception of tending an open fire (in large, long skirts which might swish into the flame - a short mini would be just fine). There are any number of sports that women do in short skirts.

Underneath, if need be, you can wear leggings, bike shorts, bootie shorts, or thick tights (in winter), all of which come in basic colors and a variety of patterns.

• Like 5

DD14 wears long shirts (hip-length) and leggings ALL.THE.TIME.  Or tunics (mid-thigh) and leggings.  She is a curvy person, but her friend all wear the same thing and are a variety of shapes.   They also all wear work-out style capris (knee and mid-calf lengths) with longer t-shirts and sweatshirts.

So do I.   I totally rock that look.

• Like 6

My 13 yo does not like jeans. When she was about 8-10, she wore Lands End dresses a lot--sometimes with leggings, sometimes not. They're too baggy for her tastes now. She has worn a lot of athletic clothing the last couple of years--she plays soccer, runs cross country and track. So lots of athletic shorts (need to be pretty long for school but she has a couple of pairs), tees, and sweats. Just this year she is returning to leggings, black only, because she can wear nicer shirts/sweaters with them than with sweats. Black leggings are "in" at the high school where I tutor. As long as they're decent quality (material not too thin) I don't mind them at all, even if shirts don't cover buns. My kids are pretty slim and look fine in them (i.e. I'm not so sure that I personally could pull off the look).

I have two 9yo daughters.  One in particular is difficult to dress for casual times.  She will not wear jeans or "pants."  She likes dresses/skirts, but they are not ideal for every activity.  She's short (about 4') and slim with muscular legs.

Up until now, she has worn leggings like pants for casual wear.  I know there comes a time when that doesn't fly any more.  Is 9yo too old for a T-shirt and leggings?  How about 10yo?  11?  And what then?  Skirts all the time?

Anyone have some nice casual fashion ideas for a tween who won't wear pants/jeans?

DD10 refuses to wear jeans or "anything scratchy like that". Right now she is wearing a kids' size 12, so she wears Gymboree leggings almost exclusively. Since Gymboree only goes up to size 12, I've been thinking about this lately. 

There are Jeggings, which she is ok with, but she doesn't love. Skirts and dresses are always appropriate, and she likes them. I can't think of much you can't do in a skirt, especially if you pair with leggings underneath. I figure I'll get her some longer tunic-style shirts as she gets older to wear with the leggings. Older dd loves her yoga pants, so that's an option too.

Summers should be easier at least since she'll wear shorts (no zippers, though).

Edited by beckyjo

She can still wear the leggings and look good if she wears a slightly longer tunic style top or a really short skirt over them.

Also you might be able to get her into a very soft pair of skinny jeans as they don't feel too different to leggings - if it's the feeling and not the look she doesn't like.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

I personally think leggings or jeggings (the kind that are thick like pants -- not tights) are super cute on tweens and young teens, even with a regular shirt. I think my dd is adorable in them. The ones she wears are fitted but no more so than skinny jeans.

My biggest problem with dd is getting her to actually care what she looks like, though. I am happy for her to wear what she likes, but I do insist on her being neat and clean. Some days that's a challenge. (Neat, I mean; she's always clean. But she could go for a week without brushing her hair and wouldn't even notice!)

• Like 3

Or, you can just wear your knickers.

Seriously, I did not care one whit if my girls did a cartwheel and their undies showed. I mean, isn't that the point of undies ? To cover the genitals ? So why then do we need a second cover over the undies ? (rhetorical question, not directed at you justaque )

Tights/leggings in winter for warmth, yes.

For my dd it would be because the undies often seem not to be a great fit with her body shape and more than undies would be quite likely to show.

• Like 2

I think build is more important than precise age - for one 12 year old leggings might work, for a particular nine year old they might not.  At some point they move from having a kind of skinny kid body to a more mature looking body with a layer of fat, and clothes start to fit differently.

However, I think as long as the shirts are longer, leggings are still ok for those girls.  Look for thicker ones with more details like pockets.

I personally think leggings or jeggings (the kind that are thick like pants -- not tights) are super cute on tweens and young teens, even with a regular shirt. I think my dd is adorable in them. The ones she wears are fitted but no more so than skinny jeans.

I feel the same about my kid, but I'm not sure what others think.  :)

My daughter has such a small waist and butt, the leggings seem like perfectly fitted pants for her.  I also think she personally likes the look.  But ....

• Like 1

I feel the same about my kid, but I'm not sure what others think.  :)

My daughter has such a small waist and butt, the leggings seem like perfectly fitted pants for her.  I also think she personally likes the look.  But ....

Yeah, I'm totally jealous! If I wasn't too old and chubby to pull it off, I would!

I'm only one vote, obviously, but even on older girls who are more filled out, I think it can be done tastefully and look cute.

• Like 1

Seriously, I did not care one whit if my girls did a cartwheel and their undies showed. I mean, isn't that the point of undies ? To cover the genitals ? So why then do we need a second cover over the undies ? (rhetorical question, not directed at you justaque )

At 4 I wouldn't care. At 12, my DD looks like an adult. She would be embarrassed if her underwear showed in public now, and has been since about age 6. She hated when jeans gapped and showed the waistband of unders and refused to wear them for a while. 

• Like 1

I get leggings that are not too tight but most are not super tight since my dd's are on the skinny side. I have started to wonder if people are judging after all the threads on how leggings are bad but one dd will not wear jeans and other types of soft pants are often to big on her.

Edited by MistyMountain

The best leggings I ever bought were from Hanna Andersson and were ribbed and not overly tight.  I got them on a Black Friday sale. 

We do leggings under dresses in winter...or for playing at the park....but usually capri length.  (DD is tall, and it's far easier that way for fit.)  In the summer, we go for skorts or those little shorts designed to go under dresses as DD is happiest upside down at the park. 

I've seen them on adult women so I don't think there's a time when she's too old.  Actually, she'll just move on to yoga pants. :D

• Like 1

I LOVE Hanna Andersson leggings.  They don't stetch out and have much longer wearing power than other things.

I have no problem with girls in leggings how ever they want to wear them.  Super common in my circles for youngers and olders of all shapes and sizes.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 3

Can't say we ever had this problem - maybe it's the style of undie ? I remember in primary school we all liked to hang upside down on the monkey bars, and we just tucked our skirts into our knickers. We were more concerned about exposing our chests rather than our undies.

It would get so hot wearing an extra layer under a skirt during spring/summer/autumn....at least it would here.

Hmm well I had two big sisters who were constantly pointing it out every time they could see my undies so I figure Id rather dd had the freedom to flip upside down without anyone telling her that. I'm not strict though it's pretty much her choice and some days it's skirt and leggings some days it's a dress and others just leggings. I deal with hot anyway because we are on a farm and often jeans is the safer choice even in hot horrible weather.

• Like 1

I am of the mind that as long as they are covered, and that the leggings are designed to look like pants, they can wear them whenever they want. Some leggings are too thin and clearly designed for layering, those I don't go for as a stand alone item, but if the are thick, like athletic material or very thick t-shirt...I'm ok with it.  I live in the PNW where women wear workout clothes everywhere though.  DD17 wears Athleta yoga pants and sweatshirts to school quite often and she is definitely not built like a little girl. DD9 wears woman's sizes so I buy her the capri pants designed for women to work out in.  

DD's highschool has a rule that you shouldn't be able to see undergarments with leggings/yoga pants.  A  panty seam bulging through the fabric is ok, but the fabrics shouldn't be so thin, that you see the color of panties underneath.

• Like 1

For me, it depends how "casual" you mean. I think leggings are cute on little girls, and are appropriate in all but the most formal settings. On tweens/teens they look very, very casual - fine for hanging out at your best friend's house, or while doing physical activity, but not really appropriate for school, restaurants, birthday parties, etc. In those cases, I would have her wear a skirt or dress with leggings underneath. 

Dd wears leggings under a flippy little skirt. When the leggings get old with holes in the knees and too short, she cuts them off to more of a bike short length and wears those under skirts. She's 16 and has been anti-jeans her entire life.

Edited to add: She was so excited to go to Paris where women wear skirts and dresses more often -- it's her view of how the world should be.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 2

My DD is 10 and will wear jeans or corduroy pants if 1. the waistband is elastic and 2. there is nothing else clean.  I have these nice ones from hanna: http://www.hannaandersson.com/pdp.aspx?styleid=41976&clr=A91

They are comfortable like leggings but more substantial.  I've also made a fair push for more relaxed yoga pants styles.

We're pretty conservative dressers so straight up thin leggings + shirt isn't great but the sort of more pants-like ones are okayish with me.  I hated jeans at that age too so I don't push too hard for real pants.

She also prefers skirts and dresses over leggings, which is great.

The problem with leggings is the knees wear out so fast.  It's expensive to keep buying them!

We live in Lululemon territory. Yes, leggings as pants. I think it is boring, but I will not die on that hill.  This brand is very thick, so really, it's a smooth line. (Spendy, but they last a long time and don't pill or get thin.) Sometimes my kid will throw a short dress over them, but mostly regular shirts, and if cool, a longer flow-y sweater. With short boots. It's a look. 

ETA: I forgot your kids are still young. I think leggings and shirts are absolutely fine (and at any age). I see little girls wearing stripey leggings with shirts all the time. It's comfy and cute! 

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh, I would have melted!

Nope. My peers and I went through 12 years of school uniforms of dresses or skirts with only undies underneath most of the year.

Much healthier, imo. You have to let those areas breathe a little! Especially in humid climes.

Must be a culture thing. I think it would be nearly universal for our elementary school kids to be highly embarrassed to have their underwear seen by peers (except in change room or something).

I do shorts or tights under dresses/skirts to encourage active play and a sense of freedom: so my girls won't ever worry about anything showing during any activity. Then again, it's not *that* hot here, even in summer. And they are used to the necessity of tights from cold winters.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1

My girls wore yoga pants with shirts that were to short to mostly cover their bum.  With leggings, I preferred longer shirts, but I wasn't too strict about it.  

They always wore bike shorts under dresses, and skorts instead of skirts, or they'd wear skirts over brightly patterned leggings for a funky look.

I got almost all of the yoga pants and leggings from Lands' End.

I think this all about body type.  DD9 cannot wear leggings as pants it just doesn't look right she has a butt and is sway back giving her the appearance of a tummy. Her bff can she is not smaller just a different less curvy body and she looks cute in leggings and a tee.

PS DD has a couple of pairs of gauchos from target that are comfy and cute.

Edited by rebcoola

FWIW, in Seattle, it totally flies to wear yoga pants and leggings whenever the heck you want, outside of the office.

Maybe you can move to the West Coast?

If not, then perhaps leggings with a little skirt to cover the leggings.

My 15 year old lives in leggings. When the shirt is too short she will wear jean shorts over the leggings. Once the curves started appearing the leggings and just a    t-shirt outfit was no longer ok for us. 

She likes legging so much I learned to make them for her in all her favorite geeky fabric.

Jenn

Speaking of shorts under skirts, we never wore them as kids either.  I remember having a navy blue "skating skirt" and navy blue undies to match, with the idea that he undies *would* show when we spun around (or more likely, when we fall on our butts).  Other times, we just did our thing until we were old enough to realize that our underwear was showing when we played on the monkey bars etc.  Not sure how old that was, but probably not later than 3rd grade.  At that point we stopped doing a lot of things at school, and wore exclusively pants outside of school / church.

I didn't want my kids to have to worry about their undies showing, so I just always had them wear something under their dress.

Funny, this past Sunday we were walking to the car and my kid said, embarrassed, "oh my gosh, I just realized I'm only wearing underwear under my skirt."  It was a strange feeling for her.  (The skirt is knee length, so no problem as long as she doesn't do gymnastics.)  I still encourage her to wear shorts, because she tends to be unaware of herself and might not think about how to sit in a skirt etc.

In some children the panties move and then actually show the genitals. Personally, I don't want my girls showing their underwear. They wear bike shorts, tights, full-length or capri leggings. We wear skirts full-time as a matter of religious preferences.

I think it must be! It's not like Sydney girls are running around flashing everyone; it's just never been a 'thing', this shorts under skirts business.

A lot of public schools now allow girls to wear shorts for their sports uniform, so that's probably good.

My friends and I just had black sports undies to put under our sports skirts! Didn't stop us playing though.

Oh the sports undies and the netball skirts! The memories... And death drops off the monkey bars.

So glad shorts are a thing now. - way more practical.

• Like 1