Menu

Recommend a good biography or memoir

Rachel

dh loved "the boys in the boat" about the UW crew team who went to the 1936 olympics.  (he loved it so much, he had me get him a hardback copy because he had only borrowed the book from someone).

I'm currently reading "jimmy stewart bomber pilot" by starr smith,  about his wwii military career.  (when Gen. Jimmy Doolittle says if the war had lasted one more month they would have made him a group commander - that's saying something about JS.)

• Like 1

A memoir that has stuck with me since I read it as a child is Eighth Moon, by Bette Bao Lord. It's about a young girl under Mao in Communist China. Just...wow. That's when I realized how much a person can endure and overcome.

I think I may have read this, does the story start out before Mao took control? Was the author was sent to a Catholic boarding school?

I don't have this book marked on Goodreads but it seems familiar.

The Art of Soviet Cooking

Cakewalk

The End of Your Life Book Club

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

The Devil that Danced on the Water

When All the World Was Young

A Girl Named Zippy

A Girl Named Zippy is what got me into reading memoirs, I enjoyed the sequel as well.

• Like 1

I think I may have read this, does the story start out before Mao took control? Was the author was sent to a Catholic boarding school?

I don't have this book marked on Goodreads but it seems familiar.

Sounds like a different memoir. In Eighth Moon, the young girl is in school and they get sent to camps to work in rice paddies and such, and horror stories of what happens in their neighborhood as the people become more impoverished and desperate.

• Like 1

Gotta agree with The Glass Castle.  I read it due to recommendations on here as I doubt I'd have discovered it otherwise.  Mom and middle son also read it and enjoyed it.

Another good one I need to add is Becoming Dr. Q: My Journey from Migrant Farm Worker to Brain Surgeon.  It also came from a recommendation on here.  I ended up buying copies of that one for my mom/guys and both our library and ESL classroom at school.  All who have read it in my circles (so far) have been impressed.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/becoming-dr-q-alfredo-quinones-hinojosa/1100083788

Not a whole biography, but The Lunatic Express: Discovering the World... Via it's Most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Trains, and Planes was also a worthy read detailing out what a huge portion of the world experiences on a daily basis.  Hubby gave that one to me knowing I enjoy travel books.  It's one I also shared with the rest of my family, and again, they liked it.  I actually don't recommend too many books that they don't end up liking.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6915507-the-lunatic-express

• Like 1

A memoir that has stuck with me since I read it as a child is Eighth Moon, by Bette Bao Lord. It's about a young girl under Mao in Communist China. Just...wow. That's when I realized how much a person can endure and overcome.

Oh, I love that book! Bought it so my dd could read it, too.

• Like 2

Off the top of my head with some added from my 2013 book list:

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller

The Latehomecomer by Kao Kalia Yang

Paddle to the Amazon by Don Starkell

Below Stairs:  The Bestselling Memoirs of a 1920s Kitchen Maid by Margaret Powell 

Wilderness Mother by Deanna Kawatski 

Red Azalea by Anchee Min 

• Like 2

Peter the Great by Robert Massie (okay maybe not so much overcoming hardships).  I 25th The Boys in the Boat and 10th Unbroken. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom was inspirational as well.

ETA: Into Thin Air by John Krakauer was fascinating (and I have no desire to climb Mt Everest).

Edited by bugs
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I've requested several books from the library. It looks like I'll be expanding my horizons some.

"The Hiding Place" and "Unbroken" are two of my favorite reads. I have read "The Glass Castle" from recommendations on here.

Another good one I need to add is Becoming Dr. Q: My Journey from Migrant Farm Worker to Brain Surgeon. It also came from a recommendation on here. I ended up buying copies of that one for my mom/guys and both our library and ESL classroom at school. All who have read it in my circles (so far) have been impressed.

I know you didn't ask for recommendations but you may enjoy a book called "Spare Parts" about a group of undocumented Mexican high school students in Arizona. They built an underwater robot that beat MIT students in a competition. It also challenged some of my thinking about immigration.

• Like 2

-All three Call the Midwife books by Jennifer Worth - best read in order but not completely necessary

-Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape - Jenna Miscavige Hill

-I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had:My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High - Tony Danza

-Love, Lucy - Lucille Ball

-If You Ask Me - Betty White - I listened to this one on audio book read by Betty White herself. I don't know how it reads in print or if listening to her is why I liked it so much.

-Bossypants - Tina Fey

-Stories I Only Tell My Friends - Rob Lowe

I know you didn't ask for recommendations but you may enjoy a book called "Spare Parts" about a group of undocumented Mexican high school students in Arizona. They built an underwater robot that beat MIT students in a competition. It also challenged some of my thinking about immigration.

I haven't read that book, but we learned about that group in school via Channel One.

There are plenty of intelligent folks out there living in places they'd rather move away from.  Areas they go to could really benefit if they were given decent chances.  Not all are.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head with some added from my 2013 book list:

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller

The Latehomecomer by Kao Kalia Yang

Paddle to the Amazon by Don Starkell

Below Stairs:  The Bestselling Memoirs of a 1920s Kitchen Maid by Margaret Powell 

Wilderness Mother by Deanna Kawatski 

Red Azalea by Anchee Min 

I absolutely loved the books by Alexandra Fuller!

• Like 1

Looked at some that I read from my goodreads account:

- Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

- Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West

- Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt  (he has several others as well)

- Enslaved by Ducks (not hardship related, but hilarious, especially if you like animals...if you like it, he has several others)

- A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout (this one had me on the edge of my seat much of the time)

- Night by Elie Wiesel

- Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

- Unbroken (loved this one so much!)

- The Last Lecture (totally different than my other recommendations, but excellent)

- Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (same author as The Glass Castle)

- The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love

- Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found by Jennifer Lauck

I'm kind of addicted to memoirs, and will definitely add others on this thread to my list to check out!

• Like 3

Losing Mum and Pup by Buckley

Wild - by Strayed

Call the Nurse - by MacLeod

Twelve Babies on a Bike - by Dunn (esp. if you like the TV show Call the Midwife)

Lost for Words by Longden

My Father's Paradise - by Sabar

Facing East - by Matthewes-Green

An Irish Country Childhood - by Walsh

Enjoying some of the other recommendations, I love reading memoirs

• Like 1

I'll suggest Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character which is a compilation of two of Richard Feynman's earlier books -- "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think?".  The edition I've linked above is wonderful because it includes a CD of Richard Feynman telling some great stories of his time at Los Alamos.

Regards,

Kareni

• 3 months later...

This thread is old. I'm just barely catching up on old threads. I love memoirs and have been reading quite a few lately. I didn't even notice that I was doing so until my daughter pointed it out.  :lol: Here are some of the memoirs I've read, many of which I love, and some of which were just okay. I've rated/reviewed them all. 

Great list.  I've got several on my audible list and others I'd never heard of.  Thanks!

One I read recently (a book from the 1940s) & loved, loved, loved is Beryl Markham's West with the Night. Fabulous book.

Beryl Markham's West with the Night is a true classic, a book that deserves the same acclaim and readership as the work of her contemporaries Ernest Hemingway, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and Isak Dinesen.

If the first responsibility of a memoirist is to lead a life worth writing about, Markham succeeded beyond all measure. Born Beryl Clutterbuck in the middle of England, she and her father moved to Kenya when she was a girl, and she grew up with a zebra for a pet; horses for friends; baboons, lions, and gazelles for neighbors. She made money by scouting elephants from a tiny plane. And she would spend most of the rest of her life in East Africa as an adventurer, a racehorse trainer, and an aviatrix―she became the first person to fly nonstop from Europe to America, the first woman to fly solo east to west across the Atlantic. Hers was indisputably a life full of adventure and beauty.

And then there is the writing. When Hemingway read Markham's book, he wrote to his editor, Maxwell Perkins: "She has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer . . . [she] can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves as writers . . . It is really a bloody wonderful book."

• Like 1

We are currently reading The Boys in the Boat as a read-aloud, so it's interesting to see it mentioned here a few times.  I'm really enjoying it.  We're reading the kids version because we have a wide age range, but it's still really good.

Not to thread-steal. . . but how do you find the kids version? I just see one Boy in the Boat at the library.

Thanks!

Alley