Menu

Kitchenaid Stand Mixers - bowl lift OR tilt head

sheryl

Counter stand mixers   

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which stand mixer style would you prefer?

I have a tilt head. It can be tricky to add a cup of flour with the dough hook on. Also, I didn't need it before I had a family, but now that I prefer to double recipes to feed my family, a larger capacity would be nice (I'm not sure that applies directly to the head type).

Downside could be weight of the machine? Mine stores in a lower cabinet with a slide-out drawer. Any heavier than my current one and I would have to rearrange the cabinet to not have to bend so far with that awkward weight.

• Like 1

I hate the bowl lift and that is what I have now.  What I don't like is adding extra flour it is really hard to get something in there because the bowl doesn't drop very much.   Of course, I got a large capacity professional grade one refurbished on Amazon for $100.   So, I'd do the same thing again.  But, I know that when I have just a little bit of flour left to add I am going to need to disconnect the paddle/beater and remove the bowl in order to add that last bit of flour.  

As a teenager my parents had a tilt head and I loved that.  

I love my tilt one. It's just so easy. Also, there are only four people in my family so the capacity of the Artisan is perfect for me. I almost never make more than two loaves of bread or dough for more than two pizzas. I mostly do single recipes of things and the smaller model suits the way I cook. I also have a plastic lid thingy that easily lets me add ingredients while it's running.

I just found out that there is a more powerful motor available in the tilt model. I was excited because if I kill this one and want more power I can upgrade without getting the lifty kind or the bigger bowl. Mine's been going strong for about 8-9 years now, so so far the bottom-of-the-line model holds up to once or twice weekly use fairly well. I don't think it would be a good fit if I were cranking out 4-6 whole wheat loaves in a week.

• Like 1

I hate the bowl lift and that is what I have now.  What I don't like is adding extra flour it is really hard to get something in there because the bowl doesn't drop very much.   Of course, I got a large capacity professional grade one refurbished on Amazon for $100.   So, I'd do the same thing again.  But, I know that when I have just a little bit of flour left to add I am going to need to disconnect the paddle/beater and remove the bowl in order to add that last bit of flour.  

You can put your flour on a piece of parchment or wax paper, fold up each side and make a sort of sliding board for the flour, thus eliminating the hassle of disconnecting the paddle and removing the bowl. :)  There's an attachment available as well, I think, but the paper trick is cheap and easy.

• Like 3

I had a tilt machine, (which I prefer), but it was too small so when I wore it out (ruined gears) I went with the bowl lift.  It has a larger capacity and stronger engine.  I couldn't find the tilt with larger capacity. I use it to knead bread and often double recipes. 

• Like 1

I've had a tilt one for like 16 years and it's still working perfectly.  I've been super happy with it and I use it weekly or more.  I think there is no wrong answer!

ETA - I do use it for pizza crust, bread dough, everything you might use a kitchen aid for. 

Edited by WoolySocks

my preference is capacity and motor size.  those tend to go with the lift.

eta: costco currently has a 6qt glass handled bowl with a 575 watt motor, lift, on sale.  my current 5qt mixer (which sometimes is too small) is 25 years old, and is making interesting sounds, so I'm very tempted. . . . (I prefer a stainless bowl.)

Edited by gardenmom5

You can put your flour on a piece of parchment or wax paper, fold up each side and make a sort of sliding board for the flour, thus eliminating the hassle of disconnecting the paddle and removing the bowl. :)  There's an attachment available as well, I think, but the paper trick is cheap and easy.

the pouring shield.  it also keeps things from splattering.  that said, I hardly ever bother with it. I just put the speed on low while I add flour at the side of the bowl.

• Like 4

It depends on your storage.  I had the option of either but the tilt head was the one that fit in my storage space.  I don't know if they are still different heights, but you should take that into account.

FWIW, I bake a lot an use my mixer several times a week. I have been just fine with the lift head model. Occasionally I have to make something in two batches, but not as often as I expected.  For example, it does fine with a double batch of muffins or cookies. It's when I try to quadruple the batch (double my double) that I run into trouble. I have one particular cookie recipe that I got from a friend and I have come to suspect it is already doubled, because if I double what she gave me, it doesn't fit in the bowl.

I got my tilt-head KA early in marriage and cost was the deciding factor. It was a Black Friday special and was way cheaper than the bigger lift model. For the most part it has been just fine. Every once in awhile I wish it could handle a recipe with more than 6 cups of flour (that seems to be about the limit). And something about the motor did go out once--maybe it was the gears as mentioned above?? All I remember is that dh was able to diagnose the problem, order the part, and fix it (as he does so many things around here). The mixer is probably about 20 years old, dh's repair is at least 10 years old, so all in all the $169 investment has been a good one.

I like the tilt head because it's easier to access the bowl.

I typically make things that don't need to be mixed much but have successive additions of ingredients.  So for the recipes I actually do, the tilt head is much better.  It also facilitates scraping the bowl mid-recipe.  But then, I don't use it for making bread dough, and if I did, I might feel differently about it.

I have the bowl lift. I don't think I could use the smaller tilt head models because I mostly use mine for bread dough and I'd burn them out. The Pro models are beasts, though they're definitely bigger than the Artisans. I have to keep mine in a cupboard when I'm not using it because it doesn't fit on the back area of the counters.

I have a 20 yo tilt head that is almost daily use.  It is one of the least-powerful models but has been a workhorse.  No motor problems.  I like the tilting versus the lift.  I have a baking area with no upper cabinets so space is not an issue.  I actually do not find that to be an issue even when I do use it on my regular counter tops.  I just have to pull it out from under the cabinets.

But.

The pin in the tilting hinge works it's way loose when I am using the machine for difficult things (like double batches of ww bread).  I have to stay right there and push it back in or hold it for fear that it will work itself completely out. That has never happened and I'm not sure it actually would but it seems to come really close.  I don't know of anyone else having this problem so it could just be a fluke.  I could probably get it fixed or even consider replacing since it is 20 years old but have chosen to just deal.  I should probably not walk away while it is working anyway.

Wow, thanks y'all!

This is eye-opening.   I have a 30'ish year old Sunbeam Mixmaster.   It is a tilt head.  It's been good and reliable even though I haven't used it for a few years as I use the KA hand held Dh and Dd got me one Christmas. 

However, it seems the tilt head is so top heavy. Mind you, I'm referring to the Sunbeam.  I have no experience with KA stand mixers.  Are the new KA tilts sturdy?  When you lift it, does it easily stay on the counter and not lift up the base?

I'm really wondering what to do.  I thought that bowl lift was the way to go but it seems this poll is down the middle, maybe.   HELP!   :)

Wow, thanks y'all!

This is eye-opening.   I have a 30'ish year old Sunbeam Mixmaster.   It is a tilt head.  It's been good and reliable even though I haven't used it for a few years as I use the KA hand held Dh and Dd got me one Christmas. 

However, it seems the tilt head is so top heavy. Mind you, I'm referring to the Sunbeam.  I have no experience with KA stand mixers.  Are the new KA tilts sturdy?  When you lift it, does it easily stay on the counter and not lift up the base?

I'm really wondering what to do.  I thought that bowl lift was the way to go but it seems this poll is down the middle, maybe.   HELP!   :)

I don't think you'll have to worry. That thing is a beast!! I remember when I had to lift it to get a model number to ask KA something and it was a huge PITA. ha

I have both - my tilt is my everyday one that is on my counter. My lift is stored beneath the cabinets and I can probably count on one hand how many times I've used it in the last few years. I got it as an Amazon special one year, and it's just a little too big for our family of 4. Probably user error, but I can't get it to mix well; I don't think I put enough in the bowl. As for the tilt, it locks, so yeah, you can lift it by the head and it's pretty sturdy. Love my tilt.

Wow, thanks y'all!

This is eye-opening. I have a 30'ish year old Sunbeam Mixmaster. It is a tilt head. It's been good and reliable even though I haven't used it for a few years as I use the KA hand held Dh and Dd got me one Christmas.

However, it seems the tilt head is so top heavy. Mind you, I'm referring to the Sunbeam. I have no experience with KA stand mixers. Are the new KA tilts sturdy? When you lift it, does it easily stay on the counter and not lift up the base?

I'm really wondering what to do. I thought that bowl lift was the way to go but it seems this poll is down the middle, maybe. HELP! :)

My mom has the sunbeam. It's completely different. The Kitchenaid is a MUCH heavier machine. It's like an anvil. There isn't even a remote chance that the tilt will cause the machine to go off balance. Really, you want to look at the capacity you need and just live with the style that goes with it.

• Like 3

I have a tilt head and I have to twist it funny when I want to tilt the head because there's so room due to cabinet height. Also if I want to add anything with a cup to the bowl  I have to remove the bowl and either put something under the dripping hook/whisk or hope that I'm quick enough to pour and get the bowl back before too much of a mess is made.  I get a new mixer this spring/summer and this is the one I want.

On Amazon

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

If the stand/lift one fits under your cabinets, get it.  If it doesn't fit, you may need the tilt.

I have the stand and it doesn't fit.  I am not getting rid of it yet because we are moving, but in our next house, if it doesn't fit under the cabinets, I am getting a tilt.

Btw, I don't think it matters a flying fig which you get, but get two bowls.  I really like the pretty new glass bowls too.  I yearn for more capacity, so I would lean toward capacity and whichever unit leaves you with money to get the 2nd bowl.  As long as you do that, you'll be happy with either one.  I don't dislike mine at all.  I just think dd is such an aggressive, big quantity cook, she'd like the one with the lift, which typically has a larger capacity.  I'm content with mine just fine, and I really like having the 2nd bowl for when I'm really going at it and making several things at once.  :)

You know you could solve this by getting the KA handmixer while you wait.  :D  I mean, seriously, if you have a killer hand mixer, you'll find yourself using it a lot.  Then you'll be able to say ok, I'm going to get the stand mixer with the really insane capacity, because for small things I just use my gorgeous little hand mixer.  :)

You know you could solve this by getting the KA handmixer while you wait.  :D  I mean, seriously, if you have a killer hand mixer, you'll find yourself using it a lot.  Then you'll be able to say ok, I'm going to get the stand mixer with the really insane capacity, because for small things I just use my gorgeous little hand mixer.  :)

I understand it's personal preference but I'm seeking one that is user-friendly AND up for the task - what does Bobby Flay use! LOL!

And, I do have a KA hand-held.  It's only a couple of years old so relatively new but it's stull not as strong as a stand.

Edited by sheryl

If you're going to keep it on the counter, measure your upper cabinet height.  If there's not room for the bowl lift type, your decision is made for you.  You may need to pull the mixer out from under the cabinet in order to tilt it, but it will fit back when not in use.

Don't worry about stability.  The KA tilt model does not tip over, ever. 

The Artistry tilt model generally comes with a funnel lid thingy that you can use to add dry ingredients without spilling.  No need to make a paper funnel, or remove the bowl.  Liquids can easily be added with the head either in the down or up position, without making a mess.  (I'm not sure why the one previous poster fought with this -- I've never needed to remove the bowl to add ingredients).

If you make a lot of bread dough, or you need a larger capacity, and you have the vertical space for it, the bowl lift may work better for you.  

I have a tilt model, and it's red, and I love it.  :)  I don't use it to knead bread dough.  I have to slide it out to lift it, which is challenging because it has a rubber base -- it doesn't like to slide).  It cost less than the professional bowl lift model.  I've been very happy with it for 10 years.