Menu

What would your ideal "once a month box in the mail" contain? Like Stitch Fix or Book Riot or Paper Pumpkin?

unsinkable

Mine would have:

*a seasonal cocktail (bc I am always interested in those types of drinks at restaurants but I never want to spend $10+)

*a sweet-savory-crunchy snack to go with my cocktail (bc yum),

*a cooking magazine (bc I love to read them)

*a small seasonal craft (bc I'm a serial crafter and I never get motivated to do anything seasonal until the seasonal stuff is all picked over at the craft stores)

*a piece of fun, casual jewelry (bc I don't accessorize and I have very little jewelry but I'd like to have some)

That's off the top of my head. And of course, the cost would be perfectly reasonable (cheaper than I could find on my own, even with coupons!) and I'd feel no guilt that I am spending money on myself!

So what's in your box?!

• Like 5

A full 20 days of a unit study with all pieces included. LOL  Not a handful of things, but 20 days planned for an entire subject: a tie in lit book, a weekly activity, pamphlets or study materials, printed worksheets, and manipulatives.  Kind of like a try-before-committing-to-a-year.

Oh, for me? :D A surprise knitting pattern with the yarn included, preferably being able to choose a box based on skill level.

• Like 6

I gotta say, Unsinkable, that your list looks pretty good to me.   Maybe my magazine would be a little more general - what they used to call "women's interest" - I can't imagine that designation is OK anymore. Southern Living, BH&G, even Family Circle (as I out myself as an old fogie).   

Fun!  Are you putting boxes together for all of us?  :D

• Like 4

I gotta say, Unsinkable, that your list looks pretty good to me.   Maybe my magazine would be a little more general - what they used to call "women's interest" - I can't imagine that designation is OK anymore. Southern Living, BH&G, even Family Circle (as I out myself as an old fogie).   

Fun!  Are you putting boxes together for all of us?  :D

This!!!!

What a fun idea!

• Like 3

Fun idea!  I'd want a new lovely pen, snacks that the kids won't steal, an outfit complete with coordinating shoes and purse, and one fabulous recipe to try out.

Hmm... maybe we should put together a Christmas swap.  

• Like 4

Preaddressed, stamped envelopes for everyone I ever write to, which would be a lot more people if I didn't have to do this myself.

A good book that I have never read.  Maybe two. 

One good recipe that includes the seasonally ripe produce that is available locally.  One good recipe for something that fits the current holiday.

A day trip description that is within 100 miles and is seasonally appropriate, complete with route, places to visit, what to wear, what is there to see or do, and what to bring.  For instance, "Wear water proof hiking shoes.  Go to the XXX to go on the Los Trancos Earthquake geology walk, a 2 mile loop that is wide, flat, and child-friendly.  Print out an interpretative brochure at this website:  xXXX, and bring it along.  Be sure to bring your camera and wear layers as it can be windy.  Afterwards, enjoy a gourmet pizza at the Woodside Brick Oven Pizza restaurant on your way home.  Time:  6 hours, including travel, walk, and dinner. 

Two skeins of some awesome yarn.

• Like 2

Doctor Who stuff!

A DW novel

A funkoPOP figure

Some extra surprise like a mug, sonic screwdriver, t shirt...

A small poster/8x11 to frame and hang (like a series of each doctor)

Maybe a classic DVD (these are generally sold by story, not season, so there's a LOT of them and they don't run too much)

If I'm not going the DW route:

A paperback book (you would choose which genre's)

A small magazine of puzzles like sudoku, logic, number puzzles....

A yummy but not too unhealthy snack

A small box of a new tea to try

• Like 2

I'm going to write mine out then go back and read the rest of the posters' ideas. Mine would include:

- a new coffee to try each month

- a new snack (dye free so I could actually eat it since I get migraines from them...m&m's, I miss you)

- a new pair of fun socks 

- a book to read (preferably YA or Juvenile fantasy or Science Fiction as those are, for some reason, my favorites)

- a new movie (no bloody action or horror as I don't enjoy those ever)

• Like 2

I seem to always have a hard time recruiting people that I know into trying out "lifestyle" thing with me, so what I'd like is a box that I, AND a group of committed people, get each month encouraging us to try a lifestyle project for the month, complete with some kind of internet group where we talk about how it's going over the course of the month.

Jan...Konmarie box, which actually just contains the book and a bunch of boxes labled with each category you're going to get rid of, and maybe a schedule for going through the categories (like 2 per week or something)

Feb...exercise clothes and a bunch different exercise DVDs or other workout plan or fitbit or something, with a schedule to try the different types over the course of the month

Mar...a home management notebook with instructions for working out a cleaning and maintenance schedule that works for your family

Anyway, you get the idea.

• Like 2

Creekland's travel box sounds ideal for me.

I'd like a ticket or gift certificate to do something locally...

Symphony

Museum

Historical site

Play

Opera

Ballet

Class or workshop to learn something new

Comedy show

Other show

Cafe (might be fun to get a book in a box with this one so I could get a coffee & read)

Vegan or vegetarian restraurant

Other restaurants or cafes

• Like 3

Creekland's travel box sounds ideal for me.

I'd like a ticket or gift certificate to do something locally...

Symphony

Museum

Historical site

Play

Opera

Ballet

Class or workshop to learn something new

Comedy show

Other show

Cafe (might be fun to get a book in a box with this one so I could get a coffee & read)

Vegan or vegetarian restraurant

Other restaurants or cafes

This would be a fun idea to do for a spouse. date-of-the-month.

• Like 4

* a natural lipstick

* a few yoga pose cards or new exercise moves

* a new exotic ingredient to cook with in the kitchen and a recipe to try it out with

* a new book

* a cardstock 4x6 poster meme--artwork with an inspirational phrase printed over it

* a new piece of jewelry with pictures of it being worn with a few different outfits so I get some ideas---pieces that layer together nicely over time would be fun!

ETA: ooh & new stickers or a pen for my paper planner

• Like 2

Ooh, I like this game.

Mine would have...

* a cooking magazine - a different one every time

* a craft to try - something little like a felting thing or a jewelry thing or an origami

* one single logic puzzle

* a great chocolate bar

* a wonderful short story to read

* a new shirt in some cool fabric or design suitable for the season

* a surprise

• Like 3

I think this thread has a lot of Christmas gift potential. I wonder how I could make something like this work for my sisters or maybe nieces and nephews without getting too out of hand on cost. Hmm...

I agree. One way to save money would be to do it quarterly...so a Christmas box, then Spring, Summer and Fall boxes.

I like the idea of picking an activity a month for date night. I was thinking like a Best of <Our City> theme bc we have great seasonal stuff where I live like free outdoor plays and concerts, sports teams every season, patio restaurants, etc.

• Like 2

My boxes might include

*pens, a new kind every month, not the Pentel RSVPs that sell for 96 cents at Walmart either. 

*calligraphy box - I'm trying to get back into calligraphy, new papers, nibs, or inks would be nice

*Shakespeare in a box - a different book and movie version each month, maybe a couple of movie versions including the retellings, like the classic Romeo and Juliet movie with West Side Story, then a nice annotated version of the text

*English Heritage History - using a different focus each month, includes photos or postcards from that English Heritage site, the tourbook, a primary or secondary source book for that site. 

• Like 1

Now I'm thinking about doing this for dh for Christmas. My only issue would be gathering everything at once and therefore not being able to get brand new things vs. not properly keeping it up. But dh is hard to buy for. He enjoys some little things, but he rarely needs or wants anything big.

I'm thinking dh's box would have...

* a new graphic novel to read

* a new fun T-shirt

* a fancy coffee sample

* a sweet and sour candy

* a surprise (there always should be a surprise!)

I wonder if I can make this work...

Now I'm thinking about doing this for dh for Christmas. My only issue would be gathering everything at once and therefore not being able to get brand new things vs. not properly keeping it up. But dh is hard to buy for. He enjoys some little things, but he rarely needs or wants anything big.

I'm thinking dh's box would have...

* a new graphic novel to read

* a new fun T-shirt

* a fancy coffee sample

* a sweet and sour candy

* a surprise (there always should be a surprise!)

I wonder if I can make this work...

So are you going to go ahead & make a box for every month & just have them ready for each month? Or give the year's supply at once w/ directions to open one per month? Just curious....

FYI, 6 Dollar Shirts has all kinds of funky t-shirts & they're pretty cheap. You can get ten for $50. (Don't know their quality.) Check Day of the Shirt to see an overview of lots of those 't-shirt design available for a day or three' sites.

• Like 1

So are you going to go ahead & make a box for every month & just have them ready for each month? Or give the year's supply at once w/ directions to open one per month? Just curious....

FYI, 6 Dollar Shirts has all kinds of funky t-shirts & they're pretty cheap. You can get ten for $50. (Don't know their quality.) Check Day of the Shirt to see an overview of lots of those 't-shirt design available for a day or three' sites.

I don't know. I'm thinking maybe every other month? It's a tricky thing... if I go ahead and make the boxes, I risk putting things in that, by the end of the year, he may have already read. And maybe it's weird to put food things in a box that won't be opened for months, even if it's something like candy? Must think on this. I think if I do it I'll definitely make the actual packages and partially fill them but maybe I'd also wait on some of the stuff.

I don't know. I'm thinking maybe every other month? It's a tricky thing... if I go ahead and make the boxes, I risk putting things in that, by the end of the year, he may have already read. And maybe it's weird to put food things in a box that won't be opened for months, even if it's something like candy? Must think on this. I think if I do it I'll definitely make the actual packages and partially fill them but maybe I'd also wait on some of the stuff.

Fill them with random stuff (catalogs, old shirts, recycling) and switch it out before it's time to open them. With a big note on top I TOLD YOU NO PEEKING! Just in case he opens too early. :lol:

• Like 2