Menu

Were you read to much as a child?

We did do audio books on long car trips. We vacationed with 2 other families (6 kids total), all the kids would cram into my parents' van to listen to the books. The other parents thought we were all nuts. I mostly remember hearing War of the Worlds.

• Like 1

Yes. 

My dad tells the story of being at a bookstore one time. A woman came over and asked how big a child had to be before being read to.

"Big enough to hold." :-)

He also read aloud to me every night before bed until I was in 4th. He tells my kids stories (and every slumber party I had included my dad telling stories) and reads books to them over Skype. My mom read to me, too, but in less splashy ways.

• Like 4

I was read to, I suppose, until I was able to read myself. I don't remember being read to. I do remember always having books around and my parents teaching me to read, but not actual reading to me. I still would rather read myself. My mind wanders when I listen to a person reading, and I don't enjoy it at all. I love reading though.

• Like 1

Yes, I was read to. My grandmother in particular I remember. She started selling World Book encyclopedia products in her early 50s (which was when she learned to drive), door to door and with some leads from schools, etc., which she did until she was 80. I still have the lovely set of Childcraft she read to me and I'll always remember their beautiful technicolor artwork that went with the poetry book and all the others. The Childcraft poetry book is now my 6yo's favorite and will be a read-aloud rite of passage for all my kids.

• Like 1

My mom must have, she taught me to read when I was 4-5 years old but I don't remember it.  She was working 40+ hours a week by the time my sister was born (I was 6) so she didn't have the energy. I could read well on my own, I read Narnia series and Sherlock Holmes in 2nd grade so i read to my sisters some but mostly my dad told us stories every night.  They rarely turned out the same and all the characters had their own voices. Probably my absolute favorite childhood memory (that or my mom singing to us).

• Like 1

Rarely, if ever. No memories of it. I taught myself to read at 4 and never looked back. We were expected TO read. 

My dad, however, discovered that my younger sister was illiterate at the end of 8th grade when the school told my parents that she could not go on to high school until she learned to read. He spent that summer teaching her phonics and she went to high school in the fall. 

• Like 1

I remember my mom reading books like Are You My Mother and most of the Dr. Suess and Berenstain Bears, and I loved reading those books to my kids too.   When I was older, I read a lot--Nancy Drew, Harriet the Spy, Archie comics were my favorites.  Sadly, when I got to my teens, I didn't enjoy reading anymore. 

• Like 1

Yes. 

My dad tells the story of being at a bookstore one time. A woman came over and asked how big a child had to be before being read to.

"Big enough to hold." :-)

He also read aloud to me every night before bed until I was in 4th. He tells my kids stories (and every slumber party I had included my dad telling stories) and reads books to them over Skype. My mom read to me, too, but in less splashy ways.

I puffy heart everything about this post.   

• Like 2

Didn't read other responses

The only time I remember being read to, is when my mum read the entirely of the Lord of the Rings to me, and that was because I'm legally blind and the letters were too small but I loved the movies, and we didn't really have audiobooks or anything. 

That is the ONLY time I remember being read to, and we were homeschooled!

That's why I take all this stuff about needing to read to your kids with a grain of salt. I became a voracious reader, and excellent writer, without it. Even my dyslexic sister read a fair bit. It would have been very strange for my mother to read to us, and frankly I suspect I am going to feel rather strange reading aloud once my eldest is old enough to read independently. 

• Like 1

Both of my grandmothers yes lots, but only the Bible. I was reading well before I began school but I'm pretty sure the only book I had actually read or been read to from was the King James Bible. Once I began school I have vivid memories of being read to by teachers well into the 4th grade. My parents, never read to me. In fact I remember trying to get my father to do so when I was about 9 and he did it once and then said, "This is really stupid, you can read" and I never asked again. I was however a very strong reader with a life long love of books and earned a degree in English literature. 

• Like 1

Not at all. I think it did impact somewhat my lack of reading when I was a teen/young adult, but now I read a lot because I read to my kids all the time :). I remember in highschool literally falling asleep when teachers read to us (philosophy, history), it was bad! And even today, I don't grasp a whole lot if it's read to me, I have to read it myself. My kids can sit, listen and understand so much of what I read to them (and stay awake), but they have been read to since they were babies.

I also have poor comprehension when things are read/said to me, and understand much better when I read it myself.

But my parents read to me and my siblings a lot. I don't remember too many picture books though. My memories are clearest between Kindy and 3rd grade - nightly chapters from chapter books. I was a strong reader from age 4 or 5, and was tag-team reading paragraphs from chapter books with them then. 

I wonder if my comprehension is worse, not because I wasn't read aloud to (I was), but because I preferred to read on my own, and sometimes did so for 8+ hours a day.

Maybe this experience makes a case for reading aloud to older children/encouraging audiobooks in addition to "silent reading time."

• Like 2

A neighbor who watched my sister and I as preschoolers used to read to us every day.  That was an enjoyable time.  We each got to go to her shelf to pick a book out - usually one of the Little Golden Books.

My mom read my school library books to me when I was in K and 1st grade.  After that I preferred reading by myself and read a lot throughout my school years - not so much now that I'm an adult and have work/chores/computers.  

We read to our kids a lot up until they were old enough to read themselves.  Two of my boys never liked reading.  One did and still does.

• Like 1

Not by my parents. I have zero memories of them reading to any of us (I'm one of six). My paternal grandmother, with whom we spent lots of time, read to us, though. When she died, my sister and I divided up her collection of children's picture books. They're among my treasured possessions and are now being enjoyed by my kids.

• Like 2

No, I have no memories of someone reading to me.  I have been told my older siblings did though.  However, we were a very book rich household and I was reading by the time I went to Kindergarten (not that I remember learning to read.)  I'm guessing that once I could read on my own no read to me anymore.  There were a lot of us kids and my mom was as hands off as possible, but that's a whole different story.

I do remember that from K-8th grade, my teachers reading to us the last half hour of the day.  We would clean up, pack up, and then sit in our desks or on the rug and listen.  I loved that last half hour so much and was so eager for the story to continue.  

• Like 1

I have a pathetic memory, and I do not recall being read to by my parents.  I do however recall my grandmother reading to us when my sister and I stayed with her for a month or so each Christmas.  One book I remember she read to us was I Am David by Anne Holm.  I also have a few children's books that were given to me by her and are inscribed.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

My mom was a elementary school teacher, so, yes! I think she read to me any time I asked until I learned to read chapter books in second grade. After that, she read the Anne of Green Gables & Little House series to me, which took a few years.

I always joke that my grandfather was the "book whisperer." He'd see a bored child, spouse, or friend at a family gathering (always held at his house) and wander off, returning shortly with an article or book that perfectly suited the bored/gloomy/otherwise disinterested individual. He'd say, "Have you seen this? I think you'll really like it." He's always right. Whether it's a recent article about theoretical time travel, a National Geographic from 1957, a classic book, or a toy catalog, he always finds something perfectly appropriate for the audience. I took it for granted when I was younger, but now it's probably the thing I find most fascinating about him. He was a farmer; he never went to college. His mother and his daughter (my mom) both taught elementary school.

In other words, I come from a long line of book hoarders! :D

• Like 5

Nope. The only book my mother ever read to me was the 101 Dalmatians. And I lived to tell about it. :001_smile:

That is my 9yo dd's favorite book. She's an avid reader and is reading it for the third time now.

I don't remember my mother reading to me at all. I remember my father reading a Bible story to me maybe a handful of times.

• Like 1

I don't remember anyone ever reading to me, including my school teachers, not even in Kindergarten. I remember wasting countless hours watching television. I remember reading for hours on my own, but I have no memory of anyone ever reading to me.

I still somehow learned to read before I entered Kindergarten, graduated from high school with honors, graduated from college with honors, and earned a Masters degree, so I suppose it didn't ruin me.

• Like 1

My grandmother read to me a bunch, but she lived out-of-state and I only got to see her once or twice a year.  My dad never once read to me that I can remember.  I can remember my mom reading to me, but only in 3rd and 4th grade.  I'm pretty sure she started reading to me in response to the school wanting me in special ed (which she refused to allow) because I couldn't read.  I believe she was trying to "help me along" or something like that because as soon as I started reading, she stopped.

• Like 1

Yes, but I don't know how often or until what age.  I started reading at 4yo, so I assume my mom didn't see the need to read much past then.

I remember the books more than the interactions.  We had the Dandelion Library and some other nice books.  I remember our picture Bibles as well.

When we were older, my mom would only read on special occasions.  Like when the lights went out and she read some Lovecraft or Edgar Allen Poe.  :)

• Like 1

I also have poor comprehension when things are read/said to me, and understand much better when I read it myself.

But my parents read to me and my siblings a lot. I don't remember too many picture books though. My memories are clearest between Kindy and 3rd grade - nightly chapters from chapter books. I was a strong reader from age 4 or 5, and was tag-team reading paragraphs from chapter books with them then.

I wonder if my comprehension is worse, not because I wasn't read aloud to (I was), but because I preferred to read on my own, and sometimes did so for 8+ hours a day.

Maybe this experience makes a case for reading aloud to older children/encouraging audiobooks in addition to "silent reading time."

Very interesting! I wonder if there's some study or something out there to correlate comprehension/retention level when being read to with the fact that you actually were read to a lot or not? But...I'm afraid it kind of depends on the individual, maybe many other factors could affect the results of such study. Neat how you remember reading so much! I have no idea when did I learn to read, and definitely was never an avid reader
  • Like 1

I don't remember being read to, not even in school (I do remember being read to in 5th or 6th grade -- A Day No Pigs Would Die -- and being the only one that cried).

I remember my mom reading paperback novels when she wasn't keeping house (romance, mostly).

I know that there were books available for me...and I remember reading fairly young.

I also remember my parents telling me bedtime stories...but maybe those were from books and I just don't remember.

• Like 1

My dad was unable to read books, but he would tell us elaborate bedtime stories. :)

Storytelling is as important as reading books. It has to be, or we would have lost many cultural traditions a long time ago. I tell my students' parents this all the time. Tell stories with or without books.

• Like 3

I think they stopped reading to me when I could read myself.  I have a distinct memory of my aunt reading to me and I was staring hard at the words because I wanted to read myself.  They definitely read to me, even then I think it was one story before bed and that was it.  Nothing like DD gets.  

I think part of the reason I loved to read is because there wasn't much else to do.  We had one TV, and except for Saturday mornings and Wonderful World of Disney, Mom and Dad controlled the TV.  There were several years where there wasn't a neighborhood child to play with.   I liked crafts, but you can't do them all day.  Atari didn't come along until the reading bug was firmly planted.  Mom did take me weekly to the library.  We were poor then and that was our entertainment.  So, without electronics or a playmate there wasn't much else to do.  

• Like 1

Our mom read aloud to us all the way up through middle school; at high school, life was too hectic, and it was a natural stopping point. Both my sister and I could read before we started school, we visited the library every week, and all of us were voracious solo readers; the read alouds were a nice way to wind down before bed; we shared loads of wonderful book memories that way. :)

I also remember my 5th grader public school teacher reading aloud to us for about 15-20 minutes every day after the lunch recess as a fabulous transition time back into the rest of our school day. But, I'm old, and was in public school just before everything started to go down hill...

DH and I continued the read aloud tradition here with DSs all the way through high school and into adulthood, although we are all so busy, we don't have the opportunity to do read alouds very often anymoreĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ On his last break home from college, DS#1 brought a book over to me and asked if we we could read it aloud together while he was home. :) Clearly, the love of books and read alouds as one of various reading experiences continues here! :hurray:

• Like 3

I also remember my 5th grader public school teacher reading aloud to us for about 15-20 minutes every day after the lunch recess as a fabulous transition time back into the rest of our school day. But, I'm old, and was in public school just before everything started to go down hill...

:

My 5th grade teacher did that too and I still remember some of the books. It was really nice.

• Like 2

My school teachers did read to us, at least up to 6th grade.  I know my kids' teacher still reads to them (4th grade).

When my kid sister was little (she is 13yrs my junior), I kept reading to her after she could read.  It went on until she was 8yo (when I left for law school), and my siblings and dad would even listen in.  I guess that is when I realized that reading aloud only gets better as the kids get older.  I now read aloud to my kids when we can fit it in.  It is a cherished time.  (And yes, the other adults still love to listen in.)

• Like 1

This is fascinating. Such a high number of posters who say they were not frequently read to, but also a high number of avid independent readers.

I wonder just how skewed this sample is. :) Is a person who loves to read independently from early childhood more likely than average to become a person who is heavily invested in education and possibly more likely to homeschool? The read-to/not-read-to results here don't seem to match the stats we hear from studies (regarding education and adult literary engagement), but perhaps personality and interest in education are weighted in a forum like this as opposed to the general population.

Or, perhaps the number of people who were read to in early years to but don't remember it is higher than the number who weren't read to at all. I know I was read to from very young (many conversations with my parents), but have very little recollection of it before older years. So there may be a bit more reading that happened than is being reported from memory? My own early childhood memory is appallingly empty.

Anyway, very interesting thread!

ETA: clarity

• Like 3

I don't recall being read to as a child but it may have happened when I was very young. I'm really not sure there is any strong correlation between reading aloud and developing reading skills. Both my parents were avid readers and my brother and I also read a lot despite not being read to as children. I've spent a lot of time reading aloud to my own children but they do not enjoy reading on their own for entertainment. The oldest now reads more but only non-fiction books.

This brings to mind the analysis by the authors of Freakonomics - Do Parents Matter?. They contend that reading aloud by itself is not correlated directly with a child's test scores but the number of books in the home and the focus on education are related. 

• Like 1

...Or, perhaps the number of people who were read to in early years to but don't remember it is higher than the number who weren't read to at all. I know I was read to from very young (many conversations with my parents), but have very little recollection of it before older years. So there may be a bit more reading that happened than is being reported from memory? My own early childhood memory is appallingly empty.

Anyway, very interesting thread!

ETA: clarity

There might be a lot to that.  My mother kept the books that she read to me.  So, before I was pregnant and mom passed on the kid stuff that she saved I probably would have answered a little differently, i.e. that they read even less than they did.   But, looking at the books brought back memories of being read those particular books many many times.  I even remembered some of my thoughts.  Like there was a Golden Book with a picture of Mickey(?) tripping on the deck of a boat.  I was always disturbed because I thought he'd lost his dolly through the deck.  Don't know where I got that idea.  

I did make sure to tell DD we will continue to read to her even when she is reading to herself.  

• Like 1

This brings to mind the analysis by the authors of Freakonomics - Do Parents Matter?. They contend that reading aloud by itself is not correlated directly with a child's test scores but the number of books in the home and the focus on education are related. 

There are studies that back this up. "Focus on education" is also referred to as "press for achievement."

Yes my parents read to me, all the time.

My mother was an elementary librarian and my grandmother was a middle school librarian.

I am also dyslexic so my parents read aloud to me into highschool when they started investing in renting audio books because they really didn't want to read The Jungle, and Le Mes to me.

One of my favoret memories was taking a long car trip with my family before my senior year of highschool. My mom had an advance coppy of Harry Potter. She wanted to get to enjoy the view but when ever she stopped reading we would all complain.

I love being read to, my dh will do it now.

I read to my girls (6 and 2) but the older one prefers to read to herself because it is faster.