Menu

Want to help me brainstorm a Mom-made gift for my son?

Jenny in Florida

I have a tradition of making each of my kids something for Christmas. This is in addition to the ornament and the personalized PJs I do every year. I like to have one package under the tree for each of them that contains something Mom-made.

I'm already working on a crocheted throw for my daughter, inspired by something similar she has on her Pinterest wish list. That works because she lives in NYC, where it actually gets cold. And she has recently started slowly redecorating her room using different colors. 

However, my son is in college here in Florida. When he returned to campus this year, he didn't even take with him all of the stuff he bought before his freshman year. So, he doesn't need any cold-weather gear and doesn't need cute, non-useful items to clutter up the room he shares with two other guys. He doesn't drive. He doesn't do or like most traditional "guy" things like sports. And he's also crafty and perfectly capable of making his own stuff when he decides he wants something.

I do a variety of crafty things, including cross stitch and crochet and some basic sewing. I'm willing to learn a new skill, if it would result in something he might like and use, but I'm fresh out of ideas.

Thus far, the closest I've come to a thought is that I could make something in his school colors, but I have no idea what.

Anyone have brilliant (or otherwise) ideas to share?

I was going to suggest pj pants until I saw his age. I don't know if college guys wear them, my husband and brothers never did.

A few years ago I made my husband a holder that has slots and then rolls up to hold his wrenches. I used vinyl for his since it needed to be heavy duty. I've also made him a rice warmer you heat in the microwave. Other than that, it's food or blankets for my husband.

What are your son's interests?

I was going to suggest pj pants until I saw his age. I don't know if college guys wear them, my husband and brothers never did.

A few years ago I made my husband a holder that has slots and then rolls up to hold his wrenches. I used vinyl for his since it needed to be heavy duty. I've also made him a rice warmer you heat in the microwave. Other than that, it's food or blankets for my husband.

What are your son's interests?

He does wear PJ pants, but he'll already be getting the traditional set, which doesn't "count" as the "gift."

He's a dancer (especially tap) and musical theatre performer. He likes to read, although he doesn't have a lot of time now that he's in school. He makes boffer weapons and spares with a couple of buddies at school. He tinkers with various tools and projects and works part-time in the prop shop on campus. He's a decent amateur magician. He likes movies and music and does a bit of online gaming. When he can make it home on weekends, he plays Dungeons & Dragons and other RPGs with my husband and his gaming group. He enjoys making costumes for conventions and other events.

I have a tradition of making each of my kids something for Christmas. This is in addition to the ornament and the personalized PJs I do every year. I like to have one package under the tree for each of them that contains something Mom-made.

I'm already working on a crocheted throw for my daughter, inspired by something similar she has on her Pinterest wish list. That works because she lives in NYC, where it actually gets cold. And she has recently started slowly redecorating her room using different colors.

However, my son is in college here in Florida. When he returned to campus this year, he didn't even take with him all of the stuff he bought before his freshman year. So, he doesn't need any cold-weather gear and doesn't need cute, non-useful items to clutter up the room he shares with two other guys. He doesn't drive. He doesn't do or like most traditional "guy" things like sports. And he's also crafty and perfectly capable of making his own stuff when he decides he wants something.

I do a variety of crafty things, including cross stitch and crochet and some basic sewing. I'm willing to learn a new skill, if it would result in something he might like and use, but I'm fresh out of ideas.

Thus far, the closest I've come to a thought is that I could make something in his school colors, but I have no idea what.

Anyone have brilliant (or otherwise) ideas to share?

Do you have any photos of some of the shows he has been in? I like to take the scripts and rewrite them in prose. Then I alter the photos with filters and some digital scapbooking stuff to turn all the photos into a storybook.

• Like 1

I make personalized card games.

Two years the board game love letter was popular. I got pictures of various family members and used our pictures and made a set of cards p.

Last year the game, "one night ultimate werewolf" was popular. I worked really hard and made personalized cards for all the family members. For example Dh was the werewolf. My mother was the villager card. My brother was the village idiot. (That was fun)

• Like 2

How about survivial braclets in his school colors? Our scouts call it "guy macrame".  But you can get paracord in a variety of colors.  If you can't find one that has both colors in it, there are patterns that use two different cords so which ever colors you need.  There are a lot of different patterns you can make them in. 

• Like 1

When my nephew went away to school, his mom made him a perpetual calendar. It's small and spiral-bound, about the size of an index card. Since he's a musician, she put a few lines of lyrics on each day, plus any special family days (birthdays, anniversaries).  She decorated each page with a doodle or drawing that tied in with the lyrics or the special family day.  He's in his late 20s now, and still uses this calendar. His girlfriend uses it, too, to acknowledge our birthdays LOL.

I really like the idea of a laundry bag! I'm going to use that for the two we're sending to college this year.  Definitely some great ideas on this thread.

• Like 2

Is he motivated by food? I'm giving my older kids a "Mom of the Month Club" ticket book I'm basing it on fruit of the month. Each month I'll send them 1 doz. or a bag of some treat I make. So for example Jan. will be a bag of " our" snack mix we eat when watching football, spring will be " our" Easter cookies,Sept. a jar of my homemade jelly. I have no idea if they will be thrilled but who doesn't like getting stuff every month?

• Like 4

I have a seriously minimalist college-age son, who wouldn't want anything else brought into his dorm room, and even turned down the last homemade treats I brought him. (I know, what kid does that?!) So if this were my kiddo, it would be the year I would be breaking with tradition. Speaking for my situation only--it might make me feel good making him something, but he wouldn't appreciate getting it. To him it would just be more unwanted stuff to deal with.

Do you have any photos of some of the shows he has been in? I like to take the scripts and rewrite them in prose. Then I alter the photos with filters and some digital scapbooking stuff to turn all the photos into a storybook.

I really like the idea of a printed photo book. Even if he doesn't take it to college it's a treasure for life.

Thanks for the thought. Unfortunately, I already make scrapbooks for him semi-regularly, so it won't work as a Christmas gift.

A family friend made me a denim laundry bag with drawstring when I went to college.  (And it's still in fine shape now that I have a college graduate of my own!)  Perhaps you could make one in his school colors.

Regards,

Kareni

He has a heavy duty plastic/rubber hamper with handles that he uses to tote laundry around.

• Like 1

What about putting together a cookbook for him?

He does not have access to a kitchen on campus.

I have been pondering the same question for my 20-something this year.

Spice 'racks' like this are really cute and also compact and functional. I am going to stamp the lids with spice names and somehow personalize the metal holder.

She can take it back to her apartment for senior year and then wherever she lands after.

Interestingly, he made one of these for me for Christmas a few years ago. 

How about survivial braclets in his school colors? Our scouts call it "guy macrame".  But you can get paracord in a variety of colors.  If you can't find one that has both colors in it, there are patterns that use two different cords so which ever colors you need.  There are a lot of different patterns you can make them in. 

My husband made a couple for our son last year.

I have a seriously minimalist college-age son, who wouldn't want anything else brought into his dorm room, and even turned down the last homemade treats I brought him. (I know, what kid does that?!) So if this were my kiddo, it would be the year I would be breaking with tradition. Speaking for my situation only--it might make me feel good making him something, but he wouldn't appreciate getting it. To him it would just be more unwanted stuff to deal with.

I'd be happy to do that, but he is deeply invested in "traditions." Plus, with his sister receiving a Mom-made gift, he'll notice and be hurt if he doesn't get one, too.

How about a scarf in his school colors? This is more a soccer fan thing, but it would be handy to wave at a football or basketball game too. I know he's not into sports but he's probably going to go to at least a few games with friends as a social activity.

I like the mug idea a lot, too. If he's already got a favorite, you could branch out to a flower pot and give him a seed packet or a small rosemary plant. That wouldn't take up tons of space and it would be nice decoration for a dorm room. Another option is a pencil holder for his desk.

When my nephew went away to school, his mom made him a perpetual calendar. It's small and spiral-bound, about the size of an index card. Since he's a musician, she put a few lines of lyrics on each day, plus any special family days (birthdays, anniversaries).  She decorated each page with a doodle or drawing that tied in with the lyrics or the special family day.  He's in his late 20s now, and still uses this calendar. His girlfriend uses it, too, to acknowledge our birthdays LOL.

A birthday calendar!   Those are such a great idea.  My parents gave us all birthday calendars - it's a tradition where they used to live.  A great help for remembering birthdays and annual events.  We hang it on the bathroom door.  A tiny one for a college kid is a good idea.  I'm not sure my college guy would've used it or appreciated it, but for the right kid - great gift!

OP, does he keep a journal?  What about making a journal or date book?  ...Gaaah, he probably does all that with a device of some kind.  Maybe not.  :)

Good luck!  Keep us posted on what you decide?

• Like 1

Can you personalize something for him, clothing or bedding of some sort, with fabric paint?  I know that for someone who makes costumes, putting fabric paint on ordinary clothing seems rather tame, but on the other hand, it would be something he could wear every day.  Not that we don't know people who wear their D+D clothing every day, but you get the idea...  Maybe put favourite quotes on a shirt in an alternate alphabet?  Or something?

What about a sewing kit?  I don't mean the tools that go into the kit, but the ditty bag they all fit into?  Various specialized bags are a favourite handmade gift in my family.

Nan

You could crochet some shorts for him.  (Sorry--feeling a little punchy this morning.)

Knitted leg warmers?  Do male dancers wear those?  A knitted beret might look jaunty.

I feel your pain on the warm weather thing, though--a whole massive category of homemade and Christmas gifts is off of the table.

Well, there are always swants. (go to the bottom of the page for the Swants Dance video)  Too bad this won't be very useful in FL weather.

• Like 4

Well, there are always swants. (go to the bottom of the page for the Swants Dance video)  Too bad this won't be very useful in FL weather.

:lol: Love the poem, if you scroll down!

Swants

A pair of swants a day keeps the chilly chills away.

Your bum will thank you and friends may spank you.

Envelop your thighs with cozy knit stitches.

You’ll be the envy of all in your stylish new britches.

Swants require courage, attitude, and spunk.

Every pair you wear is a bingo, yahtzee, slam dunk!

Strangers may sneer, but have no fear

Because you are a pioneer discovering a new frontier.

• Like 2

When my daughter went to college, I thought about personalizing a pillow case with the words "Sweet dreams" since this is what I typically say to her each night when she's home.  Do you have a similar saying that you might use?  You could embroider or use fabric paint for the message.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I made a small bag for my DH out of Star Wars fabric for him to keep in his car or desk. I filled it with nail clippers, floss, band aids, travel tube of Aleve, etc. I made a matching earbud case too. I used patterns from Dog Under My Desk. The earbud case is free.

ETA: She has patterns for device cases too. I really like her patterns. No affiliation! :) The FB group is helpful and there's a code in it for a discount.

• Like 2

Do dancers use shoe covers? Cheerleaders often do-basically think cloth versions of the things Surgeons (or HVAC workmen) put over their shoes, with some rubber (or puff paint) lines across the bottom, to keep the shoes clean (and I could see them also helping to avoid slipping. I ended up carrying my DD back stage for her first tap recital because the school had tile floors, and it was extremely hard for the tap dancers to walk without slipping. On stage, they were fine).

Lots of great ideas here to choose from!

What about a shoe bag(s) for his tap/ ballet shoes? My ds hates having random loose shoes in his bag, but all the ones we find are pink.

Or, what about some fleece feet warmers to go over his shoes when he isn't dancing?

I've seen black mesh shoe bags.

Capezio made one--not sure if this is the one my daughter has:

http://www.capezio.com/mesh-backpack

Bloch makes one:

https://cherrycreekdance.sites.zenplanner.com/retail-product.cfm?ProductId=9DE74D90-4F5F-4964-97A4-508575834337

Here's another:

https://www.nydancestore.com/catalog/frontend/model/id/1543

As aside for you dance families, my dancer is getting this tshirt for Christmas. Although we might have to add the word "flute" at the bottom.  :laugh:

http://sugarandbruno.com/product/keltie-more-dance-crewneck-tee/

Seeing as he is creative himself could you do some kind of tote for storing all the art and making gear. Maybe something that rolls up with elastic or pockets for stowing stuff?

Otherwise some after dance feet relaxing slippers.

Does he use or need any kind of mat for dance training?

I also like the idea of a dance shoe carry bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to come back and thank everyone for pitching in with ideas. It helped me understand a bit better why I'm having such trouble with this, seeing how many of the suggestions are either things we've done before or don't work for him for one reason or another. (For example: He has bags for his dance shoes but never uses them. I've already done the personalized pillowcase thing. I already make him scrapbooks regularly. Etc.) At least I know I'm not just being lazy!

He enjoys dressing up. So, I'm considering the possibility of making him a couple of ties and matching pocket squares. I've never sewn ties before, but I'm thinking that, with a pattern, I'm capable of handling that.

I'd still appreciate any thoughts anyone might be willing to share?

• Like 1

How about braiding, or knitting, or crocheting, or weaving a rug out of his old t-shirts (or other soft, stretchy clothes).  There are a zillion ideas for doing this if you google "t-shirt rug".  

Or, you could make a soft, cube pillow (again, you could knit or crochet or weave six squares, sew them together into a cube, and stuff it).  He could toss it around the room, or use it as a pillow.

Maybe make a dream catcher, and "fill" it with sweet dreams (metaphorically)  It wouldn't take too much space in his room to just hang it up somewhere.