Menu

Do You Make Your Kids Play an Instrument?

classicmommy

I took lessons piano for eight years growing up and LOVED it and I still enjoy playing today. I would like my seven year old to play an instrument. I have taught her a few things on the piano, but she does not enjoy it. I asked her about taking lessons from an outside teacher on any instrument and she begs not to. Should I push it?

I know playing an instrument is good for the brain. :-) Can she do something else to meet this goal?

I make my older girls play both the piano and clarinet. They are enjoying the piano, but the clarinet is a work in progress. I feel it teaches them diligence and hard work.

My son will be starting piano this year and then moving on to the guitar in a few years. He also play a sport, so that teaches him hard work as well. :)

I think 7 is still young, in my opinion. Maybe you could let your child wait another year, if she is balking that hard against it.

• Like 1

Piano is my primary instrument but hubby plays my piano more than me :)

If you are looking at enjoyment at creating music, then singing was what my kids rather do at that age. They still love singing and making up funny songs.

If you are looking at playing an instrument, my boys didn't want formal lessons until this year when they are 9 & 10 year old.  For my oldest, formal lessons can be a kill joy for him.  They do however have a variety of musical instruments to self teach at home. 

I have a nephew who dislike formal piano lessons and his parents let him drop lessons after a year.  He is still a decent piano player and proficient saxophonist.

ETA:

Both kids prefer "slave drivers" for music teachers and aren't interested in the socialization aspect.  Nope to choir, ensemble, group lessons and what have you.

I have a few neighbors who are middle/high school kids in youth orchestra and love it.  So it depends on the kids.

• Like 1

Yeah. I set a 15 minute timer each day for dd to mess about on the piano.

She has dyscalculia so learning to read music is going to take forever.

She has auditory processing issues, so learning to play by ear is going to take forever.

But I make her do it anyway to help remediate the crossing midline issues. :rolleyes:

She has the pianimals books there to potter with. I have her do some left handed scales because her left side is weak. This is paying off. She's not crashing into the wall of the pool when she does back stroke nearly as much as she was.  :laugh:  Otherwise, she'll sit there and make noise, and that is fine too.

• Like 3

If you find a happy, upbeat teacher that likes kids that might make all the difference. With Mom it's just "another homeschool subject" with a teacher it's

-getting out of the house

- meeting a new person

- looking forward to seeing that person

- reaching goals in the book

- recitals (usually includes seeing other kids, snacks and refreshments as well as certificates)

So I would try that :)

• Like 1

Mine have had piano lessons for awhile now (this is my son's 6th year, I believe) and it's never come up that they wouldn't play. They've never asked not to play. I know my husband is very set on them having lessons (moreso than myself) but for now they do it and enjoy it. I know that my daughter did struggle a bit - not at first, but maybe the end of the first year? It definitely doesn't come to her as naturally as it does to my son; I have learned to push them in different ways, though, so while I encourage her and she has a set practice time daily, I am flexible about when she practices, how she practices, if she is really struggling a week I won't make her play all the teacher has assigned, etc. Their teacher is excellent, though, and also recognizes that my kids learn very differently, so she is pretty good about being flexible with her, as well. I know that my husband is pretty set on them having music lessons, though, so it does kind of take precedence in our home.

ETA: Just re-read your post; *I* would never try to teach my kids music. I think it is definitely taught better outside of the home. Just last week, my son was balking at practicing something and I told him to go ahead and do it how he wanted and sure enough at practice, the teacher brought it up and I just shrugged and said I told ya so! I'd look around for a teacher, though. You may find someone from a homeschool group or someone who teaches from their own home, and that can be a very warm, inviting environment for the kids.

I played the piano for eight years growing up and LOVED it and I still enjoy playing today. I would like my seven year old to play an instrument. I have taught her a few things on the piano, but she does not enjoy it. I have asked her about taking lessons for an outside teacher on any instrument and she begs not to. Should I push it?

I know playing an instrument is good for the brain. :-) Can she do something else to meet this goal?

Dance is also good for the brain, maybe she could try that?

I do. They have been taking lessons for years. I think they were 5 and 6 when they started.

My rule at the time is they had to take a weekly activity outside the house with a teacher that wasn't me. If they want to stop piano they have to find another weekly activity that meets those requirements. Till then it's piano.

with this rule they have leeway to pick something else if they don't like piano, but at the very least they development a skill and get to be with a teacher that isn't me.

ETA: this is a family rule. Everyone in the family takes a weekly class in something from a teacher. It's also about lifetime learning, meeting people, .. And all those mentally healthy reasons one should keep up that habit. For me it is almost always dance classes. For Dh is varies between dance classes, and computer classes.

• Like 1

We do have a rule at our house that everyone plays an instrument. They get to choose the instrument but they must play. My oldest picked the piano and loves playing. My almost seven year old picked the violin. She isn't as thrilled with playing as her sister, but I wonder if that isn't an age thing. If they really absolutely detested it, I might rethink it. I don't actually play anything (don't tell anyone) but my husband came from a very musical family and it seems quite natural to them. That said, both of my daughter's have danced and I think that's fantastic too.

• Like 1

I didn't make.  They asked.  One played piano for five years, then switched to a wind instrument, and then settled on a different wind instrument.  The other started on a wind instrument eight years ago and continues to love it.  They both like playing in band class and in community groups.

For both kids, the student/teacher bond has been very important. 

• Like 1

My mom tried to teach me - bad, bad dynamic between us. I took piano reluctantly from someone else complaining (I'm sure) the whole two years, but the benefits have lasted into adulthood.

So in our family it is my secret plan that everyone play at least 4 years. I have as little to do with the process as I can. It hasn't been an option, but no one has strongly complained, either.

• Like 1

I took piano for a year at age 8. It was a disaster. My mom just paid a teen she knew but the girl didn't have any teaching experience. I was so burned by how those lessons went down, that I didn't want to take any lessons. Now, as an adult, I really wish I knew how to play an instrument. So for my kids, they must take piano weekly with a PROFESSIONAL piano instructor. Around age 10 (exact age may vary based on maturity) they can stick with piano, choose a different instrument or drop it. Dd has already declared a switch to flute and ds says when he's 10 he doing drums and guitar. I can't wait to see if they stick with those choices!

In your situation, I'd let dd know your reasons for wanting her to learn and see if she would be willing to commit to 3 months of lessons with a new instructor and daily practice then reevaluate. She might find she enjoys it or she might still hate it, at which point you can look for something else to help with brain exercise and artistic expression.

• Like 1

Yes. But we are not a musical family so it is just the recorder, 5-10 minutes daily from age7. We have taken it fairly slowly - my eldest took 14 months to complete John Pitt's first book but I have been pleased with her progress. It also makes it easier to "prove" for registration we are covering music. I plan to make them all do it for 3 years. After that, I'm not sure.

Yes. But we are not a musical family so it is just the recorder, 5-10 minutes daily from age7. We have taken it fairly slowly - my eldest took 14 months to complete John Pitt's first book but I have been pleased with her progress. It also makes it easier to "prove" for registration we are covering music. I plan to make them all do it for 3 years. After that, I'm not sure.

And, do you know...you can actually make the recorder sound absolutely beautiful if you have a decent quality one (about 25.00) and the student plays it well.  A friend of ours went to a Russian school where they learned recorder along with piano, and when she plays her little recorder it actually sounds like pretty music!  Go figure!  I thought all it could do was squeak!

I haven't had to require it yet, as DS has been willing, but if he ever balked, I would still require playing something. 

Right now he's doing piano at home with Hoffman Academy (which is amazing and I highly recommend) and me helping. I never plan on being his official teacher, even though my background is in music. When he gets a little older and gets the foundation down, I sign him up for lessons. 

When he is 7 or 8, I'll require a string instrument. I'll highly encourage certain ones, but he will need to learn to play one. For me, it's as non-negotiable as learning to read, or basic math. It's a basic of a good education and a good life in our house, so I wouldn't leave it out. I understand not all families feel that way, and that's great, but for our family, it is a must.

Yes. My second DS and my oldest DD play piano. And it's not optional. They don't mind it. They just started last year and they did very well. Their teacher was very impressed. I think for music an outside teacher is best. My kids' teacher is an older lady. In her 80's, actually, but she's very good.

Our experience:

Dd12 and dd10 have been taking music lessons for a few years.  Dd 7 is starting recorder.

These are my children who were willing.  However, dd12 doesn't practice and I told her that I would not continue to pay for lessons if she wasn't going to practice.  A few days ago she chose to quit the violin.

Ds14 played trumpet for one semester.  His sister was going to be taking an intro to band class.  I told him he should take the class, too, since he had to ride along to the class anyway.  He chose trumpet because we already owned it.  He hated trumpet, but I made him continue for that semester.  After that I let him quit.

Dd8 has so far shown no interest in playing a musical instrument.

Where we live, it's almost a given that  educated children take at least 3-4 years of an instrument with a highly qualified teacher. At that point, most kids are really doing well...they are playing classical music, they are at level 3 or 4, they are able to play all the regular hymns, ....most kids at that point won't really want to quit, if their teachers are not pushing too hard.  But, I never made my ds try it because he has many other talents that he is really strong at (drawing, swimming, robotics, computer programming) and he is naturally very hard working and pushes himself in several areas.  So...since he HATED the idea, I just never pushed.  And I'm really really ok with that.  

You do have to just know your kid...as I said though, I wouldn't rule it out until you've tried a professional teacher, and also dance/ballet would be a really wonderful experience.    (same goes with dance/ballet though...make sure it's a highly qualified school.)  

We haven't required it, but we have encouraged it.  DH and I were both heavily involved in music growing up (and continue to play as adults.)  DH was a band guy, I was an orchestra girl.  It's been an unspoken rivalry in our home.  So far, I'm losing.  

Our 2 oldest kids asked to start taking lessons last winter.  Both wanted to play the trumpet.  So far, so good.  Both take private lessons.  Oldest is playing in public school band this year.  The younger of the two plans to switch to a different brass instrument (french horn) at some point, but for now, he's really too small to think about it.  He's just barely big enough for the trumpet.  (Stinkin' cute tiny trumpet player is what he is.)  

I've tried teaching 6 & 7 yo's an instrument. Didn't fare so well! But my kids were interested when they were a bit older. I wouldn't push at young ages, just expose them to music and see if they develop an interest. If they have an older cousin, friend, teen at church etc... who plays, often that can be an inspiring influence on a student. (I wanted to play violin after an older student visited our classroom at school, for example). 

Yes, I started them all early so that it would be normal for them. I require they learn an instrument as part of school, at least until the teen years - that gives them nearly a decade of music instruction. Enough that they get far enough to get very good and enjoy the rewards. Also enough that if they choose to quit, their skills and brain development is secure enough that they can pick it up again as adults - when they realise I was right! ;)

So far they all love it and don't want to quit.

If one said that they hated it and begged to quit I'd be doing some digging and solving the why, if possible, rather than straight quitting music lessons...

I'm weird, I think that music and drawing are lost essential skills (and yet have no patience for 'art and poetry appreciation', oops).

Piano is, I think, by far the most versatile instrument. You learn the full range of music theory, scales, chords, etc. I don't think you get that thorough a music theory education from anything else, but having a basic knowledge of music theory helps to understand and appreciate the music you hear more (we are a big music family. Modern stuff, but talented, not just popular). My husband is actually quite skilled with the piano, he took tests for some high-up certifications before giving it up, and he has taught piano. 

So, in our family, a certain standard of piano will be required, and then it will be optional after that (not sure where the line will be, we start them at age 4 so that it becomes normal as an above poster mentioned. We will probably continue to require it at least until the end of elementary school, maybe middle school) I don't think there is any problem with requiring it to a certain level, it is a skill which will have many small but meaningful uses as an adult. I'm not really one for 'well rounded and cultured' most of the time, but this, and drawing, are two skills I think adults could benefit from having. 

I tinker at the piano and my husband doesn't tinker, he plays the guitar with an excellent ear and working knowledge of theory. I believe a well-rounded person must be able to communicate musically - understand the language (read music and the basic of theory) and express it through performance.  Therefore, I require my kids to learn an instrument.  Oldest took piano for 1 year, then I taught him for a year and killed his love for music :(  I can teach my kids math, science, but not music - I am too passionate, perfectionistic, and out of patience by the time we sat down at the piano.  So he tried trumpet (self-selected instrument) with another teacher. It didn't take.  With my youngest I had better success teaching (learned some lessons with the first), but he still worked better under another teacher. Now all three of us are taking piano lessons again from this lovely old woman who lives 4 blocks from us, and we are thriving! Music is a must in this house - a highlight of my year is performing music for our family when they visit for Christmas.

Our kids take piano. One child is in the primer stage and one is towards the end of level 1. For me, it isn't a requirement to learn an instrument. However, it is a requirement to be involved in some activity outside of the 3 R's that requires constant discipline, practice, patience, and endurance to see results. If it wasn't an instrument it would be something like art, dance, sports, foreign language, sewing, or woodwork. I require basic music theory and the basics of the other mentioned options as part of our education. I think it is important to work towards mastery in something, but not everybody is cut out thrive in music study.

• Like 1

I never required that my children take music lessons. Both have requested to of their own accord. My son took guitar for two years and continued to self teach for several more years. He loves playing the guitar.

My daughter asked to try the violin and did that for two years and then asked to switch to the piano. She's been taking piano lessons for about 6 months and loves it!

I td my kids that I would only buy them an instrument and pay for lessons if they would agree to practice daily for 1 year. After that they are free to continue or quit. As long as I am paying for lessons, I require daily practice.

• Like 1

We are making our children do music.  We have not been able to afford it until now, when our son is 9.  I am not going to say that we will force him to do it for the rest of his school life but how will he know if he likes it or is good at it unless he tries it?  We are also offering to let him switch the instrument if after the year he does not like violin.  I just consider it a part of education to learn an instrument.  All the public schools around us start the recorder at age 9.  

• Like 1

Yes. I consider it a part of homeschool -- music class. I don't know how long I will require it -- at least long enough to be somewhat proficient and able to read music well. My kids asked to play something other than piano... I told dd after two years of piano she could switch instruments but now she likes piano ;) ds wants to switch to drums...we will have to see...:lol:

• Like 1

I wouldn't require it if I had a child who absolutely had no interest, but it's certainly something that we encourage and prioritize in our family. Thankfully both of the children enjoy their lessons, and their sweet, grandmotherly piano teacher has become like family to us. 

• Like 1

I've generally considered musical education to be a part of basic education.  I don't feel qualified to teach it though, so its something I've always had them go out for.

Both my girls have done a music program called Music for Young Children.  It's 3 or 4 years, and starts at age 5/6.  It does piano, theory, singing, and rhythm ensemble.  I've been very happy with it - its a group class that all the kids seem to love, it emphasizes developing a good habit of practice, they come out with a good knowledge of theory - ready to start looking at grade 1 level things, and for my kids they could both sight read pretty well at the end of it.  And - its a good deal less expensive than conventional lessons.  I think its really ideal for an introductory music class for that age group.

My girls have both gone on in piano and other instruments and choir, but I think that if I had a child really not that way inclined, I would probably just stop with the lessons at that point and carry on with just choir - the one we have available is very good, works at teaching musical concepts and familiarity with music, and is free, plus its a very nice group of kids.  I would consider that fulfills the need for ongoing music for school.

For a child that was really not keen on any music lessons, I would seriously consider a choir.

• Like 1

I let my kids play instruments. Right now it's piano.

I've never had the cash to outsource it so the quality of instruction is, to be generous, "better than nothing but not much".

I felt really bad about perhaps ruining my aspiring violin player beyond repair, but he desperately wanted to learn and enjoyed playing until he outgrew his instrument, sold it, and bought a video game system with the proceeds.

He started playing guitar in his early 20s and picked it up so quickly you never would have believed he hadn't been playing since early teens at the latest.

Then he suffered a significant hearing loss. The only music he has now is in his memory. There was no "later" for lessons from a professional.

So darned straight little dude is learning Piano, even though I hardly remember anything about the instrument at all, am self-teaching one lesson ahead of him in "Teaching Little Fingers to Play", and his "instrument" is a crappy program on a cheap tablet computer.

He'll never make it to Carnegie Hall, but at least he'll know that music is something people do, not just something people buy (or download illegally).

• Like 1

We required piano for two years for both boys (16 & 9), then gave them an option -- they had to do "something" that involved daily (or mostly-daily) practice and interaction with a teacher/coach/mentor, but we wouldn't dictate what that something was. It could be sports, martial arts, instruments, or other activities. Both have stuck with piano, while also dabbling in other things. DS16 genuinely enjoys it, though may drop it soon, due to other activities requiring a lot of time and commitment. DS9 likes when he really masters a song but still moans about the practice fairly regularly. :)

• Like 1

Yes. We consider it part of their education. Both of mine take piano and we have a fabulous teacher. I do think the personality match begween teacher and student is important. The accountability to a teacher who is not mom and lessons in a place not our home has been good for both of my kids, each in different ways. When they have done 4-5 years of piano, if they would like to choose another instrument instead, we will try to make that work. If they want to pursue other interests by middle school, we will likely go with that too. Both of mine also sing in choir at church.

Ds plays guitar, a little piano and mandolin and sings well. I am musically deficient. ;)

Glad kids got his genes on this trait!

• Like 1

Piano is required until graduation in my house; DS knows it. He also knows that if he wants to continue violin (or any other third/fourth/etc) instrument, it will NOT be at the expense of piano. So far, he's done fine putting in 1.5 hours of practice a day, but I think it helps that he's several levels in on piano + recitals, festivals and competitions whereas the violin is purely fiddling and no performances...so far anyways. It's not like he's playing classical on both ends or struggling at similar levels, KWIM?

So music is a massive part of our life and the kids education. I started them all young (2-5). I chose violin for them because I was a pianist, and really missed ensemble playing. Also violin is great for the ear, and there were great programs where we live. I totally make them do it. I see it as completely non-optional. Though I likely would let an older child (teen) quit if they really, really hated it. I practice with them every day except Sunday, though oldest is getting independant, and I'm starting to work on independence with T. They actually all really like/love it. My oldest is completely passionate, works like a dog, studies scores in his spare time, and plays piano as well. He asked to do this, and never complains about practicing. D also is starting piano this year. He will need a bit of support, but should be fine.

At least for my kids, we fight about practicing from about age 3-7, though M really seems to have accepted it much younger than the others. By 7, it's just what we do, and they are really seeing the results of their hard work.

Our programs involve lots of ensemble playing, orchestra, and performing, so it's very busy and very social. Most of their friends are from violin, so that keeps them motivated.

Anyway, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

• Like 2

I am totally un-musical.  I took two years of piano as a kid, followed by two years of violin.  I still can't read music.  (I'm more the artsy type.)  DH took piano lessons briefly and trombone lessons briefly (he's guessing until money ran out, since he never complained about either), but he wishes he had more.  So while neither of us is especially musical, we want to give our kids a) the chance to potentially discover a passion that can last a lifetime and b) a well-rounded education, which for us includes a basic understanding of music.

ODS has wanted to play guitar since he was three.  We recently started him on lessons (at nearly 7) and he is enthralled.  DD asks to play violin, but I don't think she has the maturity to practice yet.  YDS is a born drummer.  We also own a piano (which DH's parents were given by his grandparents) and I have the Pianimals books that the older two have been slowly working through.  I don't dare push them as their teacher on piano, though, because I really don't know what I'm doing and I have enough on my plate with the rest, so piano is totally as-they're-interested.  I have noticed that ODS does far more tinkering on the piano now that he's taking guitar lessons.

We also have a homeschool choir available in our area, and that teaches music notation, as well.  ODS started last year and the other two may begin in the next year or so if they continue to express interest.

• Like 1

I require the kids to do a daily music practice, although it doesn't have to be piano. 

I think it's a personal choice for each family to make. We prioritize music quite heavily, so letting them give up music would be like letting them give up numeracy (not gonna happen!). On the other hand, there are probably several learning areas which we don't insist on, which other families might afford higher priority. And of course there are many activities that are beneficial for brain development. So it really just comes down to how strong is your preference/need to have your daughter learn music. And if she objects, is there some alternative way to go forward? Perhaps she dreads individual lessons but would participate in a choir or class music lesson? Perhaps she would enjoy a non conventional learning method? Maybe there's an instrument you haven't considered but she would love? I would encourage you to think more fully about what you are wanting to achieve with the music lessons, so that you can identify other possibilities. Would drama, ballet, martial arts, chess or Chinese lessons fill the need? (Of course, some parents want their kids to learn an instrument because they, the parents, didn't have that opportunity during their childhood. In that case, the no-brainer solution would be for the parent to go ahead and take the lessons her/himself!)

We require a music but not a particular kind so my oldest did a year of piano at her request and than switched to choir and marimba,  the younger did choir last year and at her bequest is doing private violin this year.  Our ALE pays for these so that makes following their interests a easier as we haven't been investing gobs of money in each.

Yes, we require music lessons for all our dc, though they`ve been brought up with music as part of their lives since birth (and before) so formal lessons from another teacher is just a natural step in their lives. We did a lot of singing, percussion and movement to music at home when the dc were very young. We listened to the wonderful CD set Classical Kids (Beethoven Lives Upstairs), I played piano and dh played guitar, so music has surrounded them.

At about age 6 (+ or - a year), each child started formal lessons in either piano or violin. After a couple years 2 ds switched to classical guitar and the other 2 stayed with violin. They all sing in the church choir, and join the homeschool concert band at age 10 where they add another instrument to their repetoire (trumpet, trombone, clarinet or percussion). 

I`m a huge supporter of music education, and from what I`ve experienced myself and seen in dozens of other families, parental support and encouragement is key in a child`s music education. When my dc started violin, I learned to play along with them. They very quickly surpassed my abilities, but I was able to help their practicing and understand how difficult the techniques were by having the experience of learning the instrument myself. I also learned guitar along with my dc when they started guitar lessons. Again, it was really fun for them to see mom trying to play the instrument and experience the challenges of learning the techniques. And again, they quickly wizzed by me. 

All the best on your family`s musical journey!

Have you looked at My First Piano Adventures? One thing I like about it is the accompanying CD has tracks that are good ways to learn or review something without ever needing to sit down at the piano. Some things you would still need to sit down at the piano first to illustrate but otherwise you could teach quite a bit without requiring actual piano time. Maybe enough to get her interested?

I require them to learn piano...just as I require math, language arts, history, etc.  To me it's another subject that needs time and effort on their part.  Some of them aren't thrilled to practice, but I think they don't mind it too horribly.  If I give them an option of chores or piano, they always go for piano practice.  ;)

Right now he's doing piano at home with Hoffman Academy (which is amazing and I highly recommend) and me helping. I never plan on being his official teacher, even though my background is in music. When he gets a little older and gets the foundation down, I sign him up for lessons. 

I'm so glad you are liking Hoffman Academy. I just bought the license (Yesterday, in fact. They are having a sale) to use the materials for our family along with the free videos, but I haven't been able to find too many reviews of it. It looks perfect for us, though, because it is beginning piano (with teaching videos) and I would like to do it for a year or more and then hand the girls over to a more qualified teacher. I had years of lessons as a kid, and can play ok if I practice in advance, but I have bad technique and almost no theory knowledge, which I don't want to pass on.

For our family, piano will be non-negotiable. Other instruments may be added later, but they will all be able to play the piano. Growing up, my mom wanted her 6 kids to be able to at least play the hymns at church. After that, they could quit. I think that is a decent goal, and might do something similar if a child absolutely hates it. Although, in my experience, at least among my siblings, once you get to a certain point in skill, it becomes a lot more fun.