Menu

Tell me about homeschooling in your state - Best and Worst States/Laws

We might be considering a move and I have only lived in "easy" homeschooling states.  Tell me about your state and why it is good or not good.  How bad are the states with more laws?  I'm especially interested in the NY, PA, VA, CA, CO and a few others.  Thank you!

I'm in DC. Bad on paper, but easy peasy in reality. The law gives them the ability to review your homeschool three times a year - you have to present a portfolio about what you're doing. However, in reality, they have never reviewed anyone. Ever. So in practice it's notification only.

That's why it's good to ask the people who live there, I think. Sometimes the reality is much simpler.

• Like 3

California is an easy state for homeschooling.  You have several different options:

1) You can file a private school affidavit in the fall.  You're now a small private school and you can teach your children however you like.  I think you're supposed to keep records, but it's unusual for anyone to check up on them.

2) If you are a credentialed teacher, you can tutor your students for 3+ hours a day, 175+ days per year.  Or you can hire a credentialed teacher to tutor your children in your home or elsewhere. 

3) You can use an independent study program offered by a public or private school.  With this option, your child is a student of the public or private school and subject to its rules.  I've written about our family's experience using a public charter school here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/559621-homeschool-charter-school-opportunity-thoughts/?do=findComment&comment=6503764 

• Like 1

IL: Super easy. In fact, I do nothing at all for the state!  However, it did not prepare me for the horror that is figuring out NY laws, where we're moving.  I know NY people keep telling me it's really not bad, but figuring out a metric ton of paperwork with a huge move and house selling/buying is making me nauseous.  I'm a loose planner and usually have an outline of the year and we do a lot of rabbit trails.  I record from there.  Now I have to do the opposite and do quarterly reports, an approved IHIP, annual testing for some of my kids, an end of the year evaluation, and a bunch more that is pushing my already stressed self over the edge.  That said, I looked at living across the border in PA, and I'll stick with NY, tyvm!

We might be considering a move and I have only lived in "easy" homeschooling states.  Tell me about your state and why it is good or not good.  How bad are the states with more laws?  I'm especially interested in the NY, PA, VA, CA, CO and a few others.  Thank you!

In California, children must be enrolled in a public school or a private school or tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher.

Private schools file an affidavit annually, even if there is only one child enrolled.. Most homeschoolers file their own affidavits. There's no accountability other than filing the affidavit. There are a number of PSPs (Private School Satellite Programs), which is where someone else files the affidavit and you enroll your child in her school. Most PSPs have their own, additional requirements, as well as some sort of annual tuition/fees. 

Public school enrollment includes home-based charter schools and Independent Study Programs (ISPs); they either provide stipends of some kind to purchase instructional materials and whatnot, or they are Internet-based and provide/require either K12 or some other similar stuff, such as Connections Academy. Children enrolled in the charter schools are public school students, not homeschooled students and are subject to public school requirements such as attendance and end-of-year testing.

WA is not on your list but its easy, you have to qualify have 45 college credits or take parent qualifying course which is just a helpful homeschooling seminar. Test or have a portfolio review but you never send in the results just file them & turn in your intent to homeschool form.  

I'm in Virginia, and it's easy to homeschool here.  Send in a letter and a list of subjects you are teaching each year, along with a narrative or test assessment at the end of the year, and that's it.  If you get a religious exemption, you don't even have to do that.

If you stop east of Cali, but west of CO then you are in Utah (if you aren't in Nevada!). 

Utah is easy- You send in your Letter of Intent to the school district where you are living. That's it. No portfolios, No state assessments. No national assessment tests. Then the next year you will automatically get a copy of your original letter back from the school district. Easy peasy!

Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

I live in Florida. We are required to keep a portfolio of each child's work and a log of all education activities. Once a year, each student has to be tested or have a portfolio evaluation by a certified teacher. All of this may sound intimidating but it's really easy. The portfolio just needs to have samples of work done throughout the year. My lesson planner is the educational log and there are tons of certified teachers who homeschool themselves. You just find one that chooses to line up with the law and not her own, personal beliefs. ;-) We've been using the same evaluator for 10 years and she's wonderful! We really enjoy our annual meetings with her. The Florida law states that each child has to show progression commensurate with his/her ability. Most (if not all) children meet this requirement easily.

The authorities do have the right to view your portfolio and log at any time but they have to give you notice-something like 30 days. I've been homeschooling here for 13 years and I've only met one or two people who have had this experience. It depends on which county you live in-some are more homeschool friendly than others. I've never heard of anyone in my county being called in for a portfolio check.

• Like 1

We are in FL and find it very easy like the above poster said. We keep a portfolio which I'd do anyhow just to have a sampling of/memory of their year. I've got a friend and a mother who are certified teachers who sign off on my portfolio (I use whichever one I'll see first when I need it done). But I know in local homeschool groups there are other teachers available. It is no big deal.

I'm in DC. Bad on paper, but easy peasy in reality.  <snip>

That's why it's good to ask the people who live there, I think. Sometimes the reality is much simpler.

This is PA as well.  The written law looks super scary, but it's cake really.  Esp now since the law changed last year.  Minus a few districts, homeschooling here has never been hard or horrible.

Beginning of the year turn in a notarized affidavit and list of (very vague) objectives (Language arts: continue to read books, continue to use writing in our daily lives; Math: continue to use math in every day life... yes they can be this vague and simple, they can not disprove them and they can not use them to gauge if you have done enough) to the local district.  

Keep a log which designates the reading material used.  You also need to show sustained progress in the form of a portfolio that is reviewed by your own chosen evaluator.  My log last year was mostly a scrap book of brochures and pictures with a few writing and math samples.  I have an unschool friendly evaluator.  She tells us to make the portfolio something we would want to keep. Before our port was more "worksheet" and it wasn't super fun... but before, the port went to the district and I always worried that they would throw a fit if it didn't look like school.  Now our port only goes to our evaluator.

We have to test in 3rd, 5th and 8th grades, you can choose the test.  The results really mean nothing.  

We turn in the letter from the evaluator saying we have complied and sustained progress has been shown.

The district has no right to question any of this.

They can request an eval at any time during the year if they have reason to believe a proper education is not occuring... again you choose your evaluator and have her/him look over a port and send in the letter.

Many districts try to get away with things the law doesn't entitle them to, but usually a mom pointing out their rights in the law they back off.

• Like 3

NC is easy.

1) File one letter of intent with the state (covers all children) with a copy of your high school diploma. They don't ask for curricula lists or anything. And

2) Maintain (but no one is ever asked for) for each child aged 7-16:

• a vaccination record (our ped printed one out for us),
  • a record of instructional days (i.e., check off dates on a calendar to say that you did school--no particular number of days is required), and
  • an annual nationally normed standardized test, such as the Iowa Test.

No portfolios, meetings, or anything like that. You don't interact with the public schools at all.

I've homeschooled in Idaho, Utah, Washington, and Virginia (plus Kyrgyzstan twice and Mexico, but you're probably not interested in those) and what I've learned is that the state's laws matter a lot less than the specific neighborhood you live in. High regulation states might be different, but there are only a handful of those, and people who live in those say it's not so bad anyway. The legal part of homeschooling has never been a problem for us no matter where we've lived. It hasn't ever been more than a minor irritation once or twice a year in a very few places. Finding a good neighborhood and plenty of activities has always been much, much harder than getting the legal part right.

Utah and Idaho are very flexible places to homeschool in. Washington and Virginia had a few more requirements, but the testing/assessments aren't a big deal and you don't have to submit them to anyone to be allowed to keep homeschooling in Washington. You do need to turn in something in VA, but if you do standardized testing, your children only need to score in around the 23rd percentile and you can administer the test yourself. It really isn't a big deal.

I started in Utah and Idaho where it's really easy to homeschool and went to Washington and Virginia later. I thought it would be more of a hassle than it was to move to higher regulation states, but I quickly realized that homeschooling laws are quite accommodating all across the country and homeschooling laws are now one of my smallest concerns when moving to another state.

• Like 1

In Missouri you have to count hours. That's much more annoying than counting school days. But you don't have to inform anyone or turn anything in unless you get in trouble somehow. I've never heard of anyone having to do this. You might have to prove what you've been doing with a high schooler if you enroll them after ninth grade has begun.

I use a public school charter but apparently OK is super easy. I know AR is as well. In AR all that is required is sending in a Notice of Intent two weeks before you begin homeschool (or by some day in August....the 15 th maybe). And you have to go for very limited standardized testing in the spring. Very easy.

We're in Maryland. I think it is a great state for homeschooling! All I have to do is (1) send a letter of intent to homeschool each year (to my county) and (2) meet with a county representative at the Board of Education two times per year to share my child's portfolio. (We typically meet once in January and once in June--it's an event they offer on a few different days each semester and all the homeschoolers come at once. You make an appointment for a specific time slot and meet one-on-one with your evaluator.) All I have to do is prove that "regular, thorough instruction" has occurred in 8 subject areas (English, math, science, history, health, music, art, and physical education). I have never had a problem--always "pass" with flying colors--and if you're a classical educator (which I'm guessing you are, at least in part, since you're on these forums), you'll have no issues at all meeting the criteria. (The county doesn't "grade" you; they can only deem you "compliant" or "non-compliant," in which case you would have 30 days to remedy the deficiency.) Plus, there is no standardized testing required of homeschoolers in Maryland!! (I could opt in to testing if I wanted to, and perhaps I will at some point, but for now, I find it completely unnecessary.)  

Hope this helps! 

PA -- hard on paper, not so bad in reality. The portfolio isn't really a big deal, and we end up with a nice keepsake that we might not bother to get to otherwise. Testing -- not that big of a deal, and you get to choose from a list. The yearly objectives -- I turn in the same educationalese every year and have never been hassled about it. They can't use that to determine if you've homeschooled effectively. You choose your evaluator. The law changed last year, in some very good ways. I've heard from other people here that the oversight from PA was actually helpful when their kids applied to college because they didn't have to provide so much documentation for what they'd studied, because colleges knew they'd already been seen by an evaluator.

The big community college around here and the big university are both happy to have dully enrolled students and offer discounts on tuition. They're happy to work with homeschoolers.

The law allows for homeschoolers to take one or several classes at the school district, as well as to participate in sports and activities. I haven't tried those things, but I think it's great that we are allowed to do them. My district is homeschool friendly, though, and I know not all are. You do have to know the law for yourself.

The area I'm in, south central, is super homeschool friendly. Lots of homeschoolers, lots of community support. Nobody bats an eye. My kids take schoolwork and sit at the cafe area of the grocery store while I shop, and nobody even blinks at them; in fact, they get complimented. I've never gotten anything but compliments from doctors and such. A local college offers high quality science classes for homeschoolers, and we have homeschool martial arts classes during the day. Lots of support groups for field trips and parties and such, lots of co-ops if you want, lots of library programs and other enrichment activities, easy access to cultural and historic stuff. (The whole area is very pro-family support, IME, very pro-kids, pro-education, which is reflected in the libraries, parks, and general attitudes. It's really a wonderful place to raise a family.) Free access to the Free Library of Philadelphia (lots of e-books and audio books).

The biggest thing that I see right now is that you are considered to be part of the public school, for vaccination purposes. In some states, you can choose to vaccinate on the expected schedule, or you can choose to homeschool. In PA, currently you have to vaccinate even if you homeschool, unless you get a medical exemption, or claim the religious or similar to religious exemption. That is easy right now, but there are lawmakers who want to get rid of the similar to religious exemption and make religious harder to get. So if you don't vaccinate on schedule, you may want to be cautious about PA. (Legislation doesn't seem to be going anywhere terribly quickly, and I expect that it won't fly as written, but there you go.)

• Like 2

California is great because there are so many homeschoolers, of all different persuasions.  There is a group, program, or class available for everyone.  I like filing as a private school because I feel it gives me a bit more protection from unwanted interference.  No requirements other than telling the Department of Ed. that I have my own private school, and then I don't have to answer to anyone.  

I also like that California has good community college systems with transfer programs to public universities.  Something to think about as your children get older.  

The downside is that California can be expensive.  

• Like 1

NY State has a few regulations.  

1. In June you write a letter of intent to homeschool (just a quick few lines but must be sent every year)
  2. In August you send your intended plan of instruction (a general outline of subject topics is fine.  Some send book titles.  This should be less than a page long.)
  3. In even increments throughout the year you send quarterly reports of progress.  (just basic info, like the student is progressing at a satisfactory level, maybe throw in a few arbitrary grades, and that you met the required hours of instruction for that quarter)
  4. Then in June you send an annual assessment.  (Similar to the quarterlies, but more cumulative.  Maybe throw in some highlights of the year.  A peer review is ok, too.  If it was a testing year for you, then a copy of the scores could serve as your annual assessment.  Testing is required in NY is grades 5 & 7 - or 4,6, & 8 - and 9-12.  These are usually administered at home by the parent and sent back to the testing company for scoring.  Costs about $25-$35.  Students may take tests at their local schools as well.)
  5. No meetings are required.  No one comes to your house.  You don't need a portfolio.  And you can homeschool any way you like.  

Many districts in the state are laid back and accommodating (NYC being one of the better ones).  And many are a bit hard-assed and strict about the regs.  But it's really not a big deal and I don't think I spend more than an hour a year on paperwork.  

• Like 1

1. In June you write a letter of intent to homeschool (just a quick few lines but must be sent every year)
  2. In August you send your intended plan of instruction (a general outline of subject topics is fine.  Some send book titles.  This should be less than a page long.)
  3. In even increments throughout the year you send quarterly reports of progress.  (just basic info, like the student is progressing at a satisfactory level, maybe throw in a few arbitrary grades, and that you met the required hours of instruction for that quarter)
  4. Then in June you send an annual assessment.  (Similar to the quarterlies, but more cumulative.  Maybe throw in some highlights of the year.  A peer review is ok, too.  If it was a testing year for you, then a copy of the scores could serve as your annual assessment.  Testing is required in NY is grades 5 & 7 - or 4,6, & 8 - and 9-12.  These are usually administered at home by the parent and sent back to the testing company for scoring.  Costs about $25-$35.  Students may take tests at their local schools as well.)
  5. No meetings are required.  No one comes to your house.  You don't need a portfolio.  And you can homeschool any way you like.  

Many districts in the state are laid back and accommodating (NYC being one of the better ones).  And many are a bit hard-assed and strict about the regs.  But it's really not a big deal and I don't think I spend more than an hour a year on paperwork.  

NY's law has lots of words, but really, when you look carefully at what it actually says, it's not that bad. Even I could hs there. :D

• Like 1

You seem to have all the states around us but not New Jersey. :( We are not all mobsters here! ;)

We are a "don't ask, don't tell state". No record keeping needed, no anything. You don't inform the school district or anything. You just don't enroll your child in school. Theoretically they could make you prove your child is being educated but it isn't likely to happen. From what I have heard from the long time homeschoolers in the state, once NY and PA started putting in their regulations, NJ got a FLOOD of homeschoolers. Making it so we have a homeschool lobby in this state that will not allow any regulation to really come forward. Could it happen in the future? Theoretically, but it is VERY unlikely to change. 

• Like 2

New Hampshire is easy, also.  You only have to send your intent to homeschool once, for each child.  You have to have a portfolio reviewed by a teacher or standardized testing each year, but you don't send it to anyone.  There are a few other parts to the law, like what has to be taught, all the basics including health, and the US constitution.  The law does specify that the homeschool has to teach at least 50% of the classes. Also, the homeschooled student may participate in sports at the middle school and high school level, and take classes.

• Like 1

You can't get any easier than Idaho for homeschooling. The law states that I have to provide an education from the ages of 7 to 16. That's pretty much the extent of the regulations. I'm happy to not have any hoops to jump through, but it is terribly easy to hide educational neglect. However, the state needs to correct the educational neglect happening in the public schools, before it can make a dent elsewhere :/

We are in NJ -- easy, peasy. We are considered a "no regs" state. We don't file anything. No NOI, no tests, no assessments, no portfolios, no syllabus, no notarized anything, nothing. Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada. We just do what we do. It has pros and cons, but I prefer to have the state out of my life, KWIM?

And, this helps to make up for the taxes. :laugh:

It is my understanding that PA is a high-reg state. I've heard that CA is fairly easy. I don't know diddly about VA or CO. HTH.

I live in OH, it's a moderately regulated state. It's not bad at all. We have to do a portfolio assessment or standardized test every year, the portfolio assessment is relatively easy and cheap. I have no complaints.

We were house hunting in philly at one point, and the PA stuff was only a little bit more than what I already do. I think in generally even the "heavier" regulations are probably not too hard to comply with.

Vermont is another one with a lot of regulations, but it's not that hard in practice. 

1. submit a form that identifies who will be teaching the student

2. submit a form filled out by a pedi or teacher that states the child does not have any disabilities. If the child does have disabilities, we need to send in addition information as to how we plan on accommodating. 

3. Submit a minimum course of study for the first 2 years of homeschooling and again at 12. This is an outline of everything you plan on teaching for the year and we have 7 (I think) subjects to cover. 

4. between March 1 and labor day, we need to submit either a portfolio, standardized testing results or a teachers evaluation for the year. If we do testing, we also need to send in portfolio work for the subjects not covered in standarized tests (Health, PE, fine arts, literature, vermont history)

I've found the people that work in the home study office here are quite easy to work with and they're former homeschoolers themselves. 

Agreeing with previous posters about PA.  And you do *NOT* need to pay to use a diploma program- the PA law recognizes a homeschool diploma, and even provides you with a really ugly one for free. :coolgleamA: 

scroll down for the clickable link when you click on this: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/home_education_and_private_tutoring/20311/diplomas/974322

Home Education Programs (Homeschooling)

Occasionally the Department is asked to verify the home education program diplomas of individual students. While PDE does not provide or track individual diplomas of students participating in home education programs, home education programs have multiple paths to a state-recognized diploma.

- Parent-issued diploma: Act 196 of 2014 modified the law to allow parents to award a state-recognized home education diploma to their children. The Act became effective for diplomas granted beginning October 31, 2014. The requirements for this diploma follow.

Requirements:

(1) The supervisor must submit an affidavit to the superintendent of schools in their district of residence for the studentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s twelfth grade (graduation) year

(2) The student must complete the graduation requirements of the law while enrolled in the home education program (see the Curriculum section)

(3) The home education evaluator fulfills the legal requirements as a secondary level home education evaluator (see the Evaluators section)

(4) The evaluatorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s twelfth grade evaluation for the student is submitted to the school district and this evaluator co-signs the diploma confirming the student has completed the graduation requirements of the law

(5) The diploma is awarded to the student on a standardized form developed by PDE

The form for a parent-issued diploma may be downloaded and printed from this link: Home Education Diploma (PDE 6008) and Definitions.

• Like 1

PA -- hard on paper, not so bad in reality. The portfolio isn't really a big deal, and we end up with a nice keepsake that we might not bother to get to otherwise. Testing -- not that big of a deal, and you get to choose from a list. The yearly objectives -- I turn in the same educationalese every year and have never been hassled about it. They can't use that to determine if you've homeschooled effectively. You choose your evaluator. The law changed last year, in some very good ways. I've heard from other people here that the oversight from PA was actually helpful when their kids applied to college because they didn't have to provide so much documentation for what they'd studied, because colleges knew they'd already been seen by an evaluator.

The big community college around here and the big university are both happy to have dully enrolled students and offer discounts on tuition. They're happy to work with homeschoolers.

The law allows for homeschoolers to take one or several classes at the school district, as well as to participate in sports and activities. I haven't tried those things, but I think it's great that we are allowed to do them. My district is homeschool friendly, though, and I know not all are. You do have to know the law for yourself.

The area I'm in, south central, is super homeschool friendly. Lots of homeschoolers, lots of community support. Nobody bats an eye. My kids take schoolwork and sit at the cafe area of the grocery store while I shop, and nobody even blinks at them; in fact, they get complimented. I've never gotten anything but compliments from doctors and such. A local college offers high quality science classes for homeschoolers, and we have homeschool martial arts classes during the day. Lots of support groups for field trips and parties and such, lots of co-ops if you want, lots of library programs and other enrichment activities, easy access to cultural and historic stuff. (The whole area is very pro-family support, IME, very pro-kids, pro-education, which is reflected in the libraries, parks, and general attitudes. It's really a wonderful place to raise a family.) Free access to the Free Library of Philadelphia (lots of e-books and audio books).

The biggest thing that I see right now is that you are considered to be part of the public school, for vaccination purposes. In some states, you can choose to vaccinate on the expected schedule, or you can choose to homeschool. In PA, currently you have to vaccinate even if you homeschool, unless you get a medical exemption, or claim the religious or similar to religious exemption. That is easy right now, but there are lawmakers who want to get rid of the similar to religious exemption and make religious harder to get. So if you don't vaccinate on schedule, you may want to be cautious about PA. (Legislation doesn't seem to be going anywhere terribly quickly, and I expect that it won't fly as written, but there you go.)

Can you please show me where it the law it allows for classes? I know it allows extra-curriculars and that didtricts *may* permit homeschoolers to take classes. THANKS!

• Like 1

I live in Florida. We are required to keep a portfolio of each child's work and a log of all education activities. Once a year, each student has to be tested or have a portfolio evaluation by a certified teacher. All of this may sound intimidating but it's really easy. The portfolio just needs to have samples of work done throughout the year. My lesson planner is the educational log and there are tons of certified teachers who homeschool themselves. You just find one that chooses to line up with the law and not her own, personal beliefs. ;-) We've been using the same evaluator for 10 years and she's wonderful! We really enjoy our annual meetings with her. The Florida law states that each child has to show progression commensurate with his/her ability. Most (if not all) children meet this requirement easily.

The authorities do have the right to view your portfolio and log at any time but they have to give you notice-something like 30 days. I've been homeschooling here for 13 years and I've only met one or two people who have had this experience. It depends on which county you live in-some are more homeschool friendly than others. I've never heard of anyone in my county being called in for a portfolio check.

Yep.  Whether you choose to do testing or portfolio eval, the certified teacher just has to sign off saying that the child is making progress commensurate with ability.  The test results or portfolio don't have to be sent in to the district or anything like that.  And on the district's right to view your portfolio (I think it's actually 15 days' notice) - the only thing they can do is look at it and say "okay, you're keeping it and you're in compliance" or "you're not keeping it so you're not in compliance."  They can't actually make any judgments about what's *in* the portfolio.  

In my county, I've been told that the only time they would ever ask a parent to provide the portfolio is if the parent is already not in compliance by not providing the annual eval report (i.e., the "this child is progressing" sign-off).  I've also learned recently that the home education person in the district office is trying to help homeschoolers whose transcripts are not accepted by out-of-state colleges, which is certainly above and beyond what she has to do!  

Can you please show me where it the law it allows for classes? I know it allows extra-curriculars and that didtricts *may* permit homeschoolers to take classes. THANKS!

You are right, I have never even heard of a school letting homeschoolers take classes there in our state. They have to let you borrow nonconsumable curriculum, that is it as far as school. I have been homeschooling in PA a long time, I'm sure in over a decade of reading the law every year,I have not missed something saying they have to let our kids take classes at the PS.

• Like 1

No, I was typing quickly and didn't state it very well. I believe you are actually right, that they may be permitted to but aren't specifically allowed to by the law. I just meant that the law does not prohibit us from taking classes.

Our district sends us a letter every year to remind us that we can do stuff at the school, and I think they do mention classes. But I haven't really looked into it, because the idea of dragging everyone out to take one kid to the school every day does not appeal to me. Maybe when they're older and can bike or drive themselves.

• Like 1

No, I was typing quickly and didn't state it very well. I believe you are actually right, that they may be permitted to but aren't specifically allowed to by the law. I just meant that the law does not prohibit us from taking classes.

Our district sends us a letter every year to remind us that we can do stuff at the school, and I think they do mention classes. But I haven't really looked into it, because the idea of dragging everyone out to take one kid to the school every day does not appeal to me. Maybe when they're older and can bike or drive themselves.

(about homeschoolers taking classes in PA)

OK, that's what I thought, but I know several people who want to do this, so if you had better information than I do I wanted to share! :thumbup1:

personally, it is NOT worth the effort- being at the mercy of the school districts schedule, including different bellschedules for assemblies, half-days, early dismissals, snow delays... not to mention I live 25 minutes from the high school, plus wait time during the class. I did the math once- gas money alone would pay for weekly private lessons in voice rather than the chorus at school. If I were going to go to that much trouble I'd just send them to school.

• Like 3

(about homeschoolers taking classes in PA)

OK, that's what I thought, but I know several people who want to do this, so if you had better information than I do I wanted to share! :thumbup1:

personally, it is NOT worth the effort- being at the mercy of the school districts schedule, including different bellschedules for assemblies, half-days, early dismissals, snow delays... not to mention I live 25 minutes from the high school, plus wait time during the class. I did the math once- gas money alone would pay for weekly private lessons in voice rather than the chorus at school. If I were going to go to that much trouble I'd just send them to school.

LOL, that's what I've thought too.  Definitely not worth it at this point.  We live only two miles from the school complex, though, close enough that we can see lights and hear football games, and it's a quiet road to get there (the cross country runners come up our road all the time).  So it would definitely be doable for older kids who could get themselves there.  I could see doing it for sports or clubs or things like music or foreign languages, but the headache of trying to figure out the class schedule rotation and everything else make it not a terribly attractive idea.  But I'm not willing to dismiss it completely.

DH wants me to call and see what geometry book they use at the local high school, since DD will need it the year after this one, and we don't have one yet, and free/cheap is always nice.  I'm not wild about it, and I can't imagine they'd give me the teacher's manual anyway, so I probably won't bother, but I guess it's cool that we have the option.  Maybe?  Lol.

• Like 2

:iagree:

I've homeschooled in two different suburbs outside of NYC and they were both easy-peasy. 

My IHIP for both districts just listed one (of many sometimes) of the books I planned to use for that subject. That's it.

My quarterlies were 2-3 sentences long! Something along the lines of: "For the second quarter, child has successfully completed at least 85% of the planned material in Math, English, Biology... etc. He has had no absences, and has had 225 hours of instruction."

• Like 1

In Virginia, unless you homeschool under a religious exemption, which I would advise most people not to do even if religious, these are the requirements. In August, you send a notice of intent to homeschool to your superintendent with a course of study, which is just a list of "planned" subjects, not specific curriculum. By the following August, you need to submit standardized test scores (any test of your choosing) OR meet with an evaluator who goes over a portfolio and submits a letter. The evaluator can be of your choosing. That's it.

In California, homeschooling is "technically" non-existent. However, CA has several options for home based instruction, and all are homeschoolers in my mind.

1. File a private school affidavit by Oct. 15 to form a private school. You are supposed to maintain attendance records and medical records for the students, but these aren't submitted to anyone. No one asks to see them unless you have some sort of run-in with CPS. This is the easiest way to homeschool, and there are no test requirements or restrictions. Children aren't required to be in school until 6 years old.

2. Hire a certified teacher as a private tutor. This is popular in Hollywood.

3. Join a PSP, which is a private school that oversees your work and considers you their student filed under their affidavit. These can vary as to what they require. They maintain all of your official records and transcripts, but you submit paperwork to them. There is usually a fee for this service. Some are connected to private schools and allow you to attend school events and even an occasional class.

4. Enroll in a public charter school that is home based. I have many friends who do this. Some have classes two days a week and homeschool the rest choosing their curriculum. Others are much more flexible. Some have both options. There are often stipends of up to 2000 paid per student for educational activities, including art and music lessons or athletic activities. Each has their own rules as to how the funds can be used. They also cover curriculum. Some are quite flexible, and some are more religious friendly than others. You usually cannot use any of the funds for religious materials or curriculum. But many still allow you to use it on your own dime. There is oversight for these, usually regular visits with a teacher, portfolio samples and state testing. You have to follow state health screenings, etc. There is attendance with some flexibility, depending on the school calendar, but you can't do year round schooling or anything too different from the school calendar. But there are still several options for home based instruction here. Some also have online school options.

Both states had active co-ops that I found.

I was surprised when I moved here, but California actually has more options for homeschoolers than any state I have encountered. It will fit any style of homeschooling you prefer, and that may even change over the years. Transcripts don't mean much to me in elementary, but I like that I have several options for high school here to meet my child's individual needs.

AZ is super easy. You just have to file an affidavit with the intent to homeschool by age 6. Thats it! AZ has a huge homeschooling community. Mesa has free homeschool coops through the public school system. Most schools offer homeschoolers participation in sports programs and band. There are very large active homeschool groups throughout Phoenix and the surrounding areas. All the field trip venues (museums, zoos etc) offer significant homeschool discounts. Love it here!

• Like 1

:iagree:

I've homeschooled in two different suburbs outside of NYC and they were both easy-peasy. 

My IHIP for both districts just listed one (of many sometimes) of the books I planned to use for that subject. That's it.

My quarterlies were 2-3 sentences long! Something along the lines of: "For the second quarter, child has successfully completed at least 85% of the planned material in Math, English, Biology... etc. He has had no absences, and has had 225 hours of instruction."

LOL, just as a quick aside, it looks similar to the sample I created 10 years ago.  I wanted to send something without grades, but still included what the regs asked for.  And a more detailed IHIP could allow for these shorter quarterlies:  http://homeschoolinginnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/2005/08/sample-quarterly-report.html

• Like 1

I homeschool in NY. There is a good amount of paperwork, I guess, but not a lot of nosiness into what you are actually doing. Most parents send the LOI, IHIP, quarterlies, and administer their own standardized tests or provide short narrative assessments at the end of each year. The state does give the district the ability to approve or deny the person who performs the assessment, so some parents end up having to use a peer review group (two or more other homeschoolers) or a certified teacher.

We have a great network of experts through NYHEN that will walk new homeschoolers through the regs, which is great if you live in a picky district. My district sends me a note if I'm late on a quarterly, extending the date by two weeks. My mom's neighbor, meanwhile, had her quarterly dates denied (which the school can't do but they did...) and child services came to her house to make sure she wasn't neglecting her children.

I personally do a very detailed IHIP, and then copy and paste from it for my quarterlies. My district, like many, encourages email, so that's a nice thing :)

• Like 1

In California, homeschooling is "technically" non-existent. However, CA has several options for home based instruction, and all are homeschoolers in my mind.

1. File a private school affidavit by Oct. 15 to form a private school. You are supposed to maintain attendance records and medical records for the students, but these aren't submitted to anyone. No one asks to see them unless you have some sort of run-in with CPS. This is the easiest way to homeschool, and there are no test requirements or restrictions. Children aren't required to be in school until 6 years old.

2. Hire a certified teacher as a private tutor. This is popular in Hollywood.

3. Join a PSP, which is a private school that oversees your work and considers you their student filed under their affidavit. These can vary as to what they require. They maintain all of your official records and transcripts, but you submit paperwork to them. There is usually a fee for this service. Some are connected to private schools and allow you to attend school events and even an occasional class.

4. Enroll in a public charter school that is home based. I have many friends who do this. Some have classes two days a week and homeschool the rest choosing their curriculum. Others are much more flexible. Some have both options. There are often stipends of up to 2000 paid per student for educational activities, including art and music lessons or athletic activities. Each has their own rules as to how the funds can be used. They also cover curriculum. Some are quite flexible, and some are more religious friendly than others. You usually cannot use any of the funds for religious materials or curriculum. But many still allow you to use it on your own dime. There is oversight for these, usually regular visits with a teacher, portfolio samples and state testing. You have to follow state health screenings, etc. There is attendance with some flexibility, depending on the school calendar, but you can't do year round schooling or anything too different from the school calendar. But there are still several options for home based instruction here. Some also have online school options.

Both states had active co-ops that I found.

I was surprised when I moved here, but California actually has more options for homeschoolers than any state I have encountered. It will fit any style of homeschooling you prefer, and that may even change over the years. Transcripts don't mean much to me in elementary, but I like that I have several options for high school here to meet my child's individual needs.

Actually, because of the 2008 court case, "homeschooling" does exist. A court case trumps law and itself becomes law. :-)

Legally, the compulsory education code says that children must be enrolled in a public school or a private school, or tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher. Filing your own affidavit and enrolling the dc in a PSP fall under the private school option; home-based charter schools fall under the public school option. Tutoring is its own critter. :-)