Menu

Diagnosed with uterine cancer

Ethel Mertz

Many (((hugs))).

I have had close family deal with stage one uterine cancer. It is certainly less fun than a root canal or an extended family holiday in the home of the family teetotaler. But it is far from the worst prognosis one can receive.

Warning: irreverent cancer story ahead

More than a decade after being declared cancer free (uterine cancer stage one) my crazy (not of the clinical but of the cracker dog variety) grandmother shares her story of how the doctor used the radiation wand with strangers and at holiday meals. She is determined "the cancer" is going to kill her. She may die 30 years after her cancer treatment from being run over by a Mack truck, but it will really be "the cancer"'s fault!

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:

Don't let the surgeon do the surgery where they cut up and remove organ(s) through a small incision (sorry my terminology is bad). Evidently, that can spread this type of cancer. I've read two articles recently where the outcome was bad because of that. A search should turn them up, if you need me to try to find it, let me know. The conclusion was to remove all organs intact so cancer cells cannot spread.

If it were me, I would ask for surgery asap, then make decisions after when you know what you are dealing with.

Uterine morcellation. It's not used with known cancer diagnosis, but the question bears asking.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm393689.htm

• Like 2

Hugs for you, Ethel Mertz. ((((( )))))

My sister was diagnosed with uterine cancer last fall. She had a device inserted in her uterus that delivers progesterone, a sort of IUD (??). She's had it in for about 9 months or so and as of last week they cannot find any cancer cells.

They put in the device because my sister was obese and had to lose weight before her doctor would do a hysterectomy. She has done really well with the weight loss by eating healthier foods and exercising, and she will be getting a hysterectomy soon. She recently told me that she's never felt better and is ready to go forward with the surgery.

Anyway, it is scary to hear news like that but it does appear that yours was caught early which is very, very good.

More hugs for you! ((((( )))))

• Like 4

I'm sorry. My MIL was just diagnosed with uterine cancer in May. We were hoping for a surgery- only fix for her, but it had spread and is now stage 4. She's doing chemo and feels pretty good. Having said that, my advice is not to wait too long to do the surgery. If you want a 2nd opinion, do it as soon as you can and then move forward.

Praying for a good outcome for you.

• Like 1

First time ever: I ran out of "likes." Weird to wake up this morning as a "cancer patient." However, I feel pretty positive, so I will hang on to that feeling! I will be talking with a friend who has gone through ovarian cancer this morning about "cancer anxiety." I'll be doing pre-surgery Reiki as well. The oncologist was in surgery yesterday, so I still have to wait until Monday to get a call from them. Thank you so much for your good thoughts and prayers.

First time ever: I ran out of "likes." Weird to wake up this morning as a "cancer patient." However, I feel pretty positive, so I will hang on to that feeling! I will be talking with a friend who has gone through ovarian cancer this morning about "cancer anxiety." I'll be doing pre-surgery Reiki as well. The oncologist was in surgery yesterday, so I still have to wait until Monday to get a call from them. Thank you so much for your good thoughts and prayers.

Uh, we need to be able to like your posts... ;)

Serious medical issues do send our brains spinning.  That's normal.  Staying positive is well worth it.  Start planning something terrific you want to do as a reward for having to put up with everything.  I got my month in the Bahamas that way.  It was quite enjoyable (the month - not the rest of the crap).  Bribes Rewards aren't just for children.  They give you something mentally to look forward to - something much needed by the brain.

• Like 7

I'll be back in Boston after August 15.  I would be happy to help you if you need anything in the area. Groceries, errands, whatever.

Thanks, Yael! Not sure what the timing of everything is yet. We actually live 2 hours away from Boston, but I will be having surgery at Beth Israel.

Ethel, I am so sorry you had to get this news.  I haven't read any of the other responses, but a couple of thoughts: do they anticipate you will be cured by surgery?  Or do they anticipate probable chemo\radiation? In terms of quality of life and your capacity to keep teaching your son, that matters. 

Endometrial cancer is pretty curable when it's not at an advanced stage, and usually, it's not, so that is good!  I hope you are in that category!  

• Like 2

Ethel, I am so sorry you had to get this news.  I haven't read any of the other responses, but a couple of thoughts: do they anticipate you will be cured by surgery?  Or do they anticipate probable chemo\radiation? In terms of quality of life and your capacity to keep teaching your son, that matters. 

Endometrial cancer is pretty curable when it's not at an advanced stage, and usually, it's not, so that is good!  I hope you are in that category!  

I don't know yet, Catherine. I am waiting for the gynecological oncologist to call (probably tomorrow - Monday) to schedule an appointment and from there we'll schedule surgery. And, then they won't know until the pathology report comes back from surgery what stage it is. The good news is that the cells from the biopsy were graded and came out as a one; grading is a totally different thing than the stage though. Basically, I'm in the hurry up and wait position at the moment.

I don't know yet, Catherine. I am waiting for the gynecological oncologist to call (probably tomorrow - Monday) to schedule an appointment and from there we'll schedule surgery. And, then they won't know until the pathology report comes back from surgery what stage it is. The good news is that the cells from the biopsy were graded and came out as a one; grading is a totally different thing than the stage though. Basically, I'm in the hurry up and wait position at the moment.

Not sure if it helps, but I was happily surprised at how fast my pathology report came back on my breast biopsy....and I live in SWFL...not near a major medical center.  I had results within 24 hours.   I'm betting that Beth Israel may even have somebody look at your cells while you're on the table to give an initial read...and you should know something rather quickly.  

:grouphug:  again

I wish I could send you one of these cards. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/05/06/empathy_cards_by_emily_mcdowell_are_greeting_cards_designed_for_cancer_patients.html

• Like 4

Not sure if it helps, but I was happily surprised at how fast my pathology report came back on my breast biopsy....and I live in SWFL...not near a major medical center.  I had results within 24 hours.   I'm betting that Beth Israel may even have somebody look at your cells while you're on the table to give an initial read...and you should know something rather quickly.  

:grouphug:  again

I wish I could send you one of these cards. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/05/06/empathy_cards_by_emily_mcdowell_are_greeting_cards_designed_for_cancer_patients.html

I absolutely love those cards! Brilliant!

I know you are trying to keep your spirits up, and wanted to share a blog with you, written by a breast cancer patient. She was just diagnosed a few weeks ago, so fresh off the news. Her blog is...not the usual cancer blog, put it that way. It is also a bit crass, but has a lot of humor. I thought it might help. http://winningtheboobyprize.com/

She's also a wonderful person and writing friend. nice as can be. 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you have to face this trial. I can't offer any advice, but you've received tons of great ideas from people who have BTDT. So I'll just add prayers for restored health, laughter, and comfort and help from the people around you. (Special prayers for your DS.)

• Like 1

Praying for successful treatment, easy recovery, and God's loving arms around you at this time. 

You've received great advice.  I want to third or 4th the advice to bring someone with you who can take notes and listen objectively without being as emotionally involved.  When I had surgery 12 years ago, I brought a friend to appointment with the surgeon and she helped me ask lots of questions - some I might not have thought of until we had gotten home. 

• Like 2

Sending prayers for you and your family. May you be wrapped in peace and in the love of friends and family as you navigate this journey. One of my closest friends was diagnosed with uterine cancer a few months ago (just a few months after her daughter was diagnosed with thyroid cancer). BOTH are doing very well now. I'm so glad that you are being proactive. Hugs and more hugs.

• Like 1

I know you are trying to keep your spirits up, and wanted to share a blog with you, written by a breast cancer patient. She was just diagnosed a few weeks ago, so fresh off the news. Her blog is...not the usual cancer blog, put it that way. It is also a bit crass, but has a lot of humor. I thought it might help. http://winningtheboobyprize.com/

She's also a wonderful person and writing friend. nice as can be. 

I love the blog! Thanks for the link!

I now have an appointment with the oncologist for the afternoon of August 5th. Thank you all so much for the suggestions, prayers, and good thoughts.

Not sure if it helps, but I was happily surprised at how fast my pathology report came back on my breast biopsy....and I live in SWFL...not near a major medical center. I had results within 24 hours. I'm betting that Beth Israel may even have somebody look at your cells while you're on the table to give an initial read...and you should know something rather quickly.

:grouphug: again

I wish I could send you one of these cards. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/05/06/empathy_cards_by_emily_mcdowell_are_greeting_cards_designed_for_cancer_patients.html

What the cards say, as I have trouble finding words of my own.

• Like 1

no advice, just :grouphug:

and best wishes.

do have a piece of advice from a friend who had breast cancer (cancer free) and almost every side effect there was, she had - take it one day at a time, and the sun always rises.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness.  Haven't read all the posts.  Just saw this.  I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer almost three years ago.  My advice is to do your own reading and try to understand everything you possibly can about your particular kind of cancer.  They are all different, and what worked for someone else, may not work for you.  Listen to your gut.  Don't listen to stories of other people's cancer. They are not you.  Hear your doctor out, but don't be afraid to question him or her.  Don't be afraid to get a second opinion or switch doctors.  It's your body and your life.  Grade 1 is good.  That's a good position to be in.  I know you're scared as hell.  That's okay.  It will get less scary over time. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice, good thoughts, and prayers. We told DS12 this afternoon and he had a really hard time. He's upstairs drumming now, after a family supper at the beach. We'll take it day by day. I have a friend who has been through ovarian cancer who is going to call tomorrow to talk me through "cancer anxiety." I'm also going to have pre-surgery Reiki treatments. When I have more news, I'll update in the original post. Again, thanks so much for your support.

I have also had Reiki and I love it.  I still have it occasionally when I get a lot of stress build up.  Many hugs.

• Like 1