Menu

3.5 year old can't pedal tricycle/bike with training wheels? Therapy or normal?

slterry

So, I have the sweetest 3.5 year old little boy. He is amazing and SO smart- he is beginning to read and loves learning. When it comes to physical "milestones" he is a bit behind his peers. He is just starting to be able to jump off the ground well, and we've tried to get him to do the balance bike thing since he was around 2. He is okay at it, but nowhere near "riding a bike." We also have a bike with training wheels that we've tried to get him to ride lately and he just can NOT understand or perform pushing the pedals. He also had a trike at my parent's home that he never figured out (with pedals). 

I am starting to get worried as I see his peers riding bikes well and no friends have reported difficulty with their kids learning it. Would you start to look into occupational or physical therapy or would you see this as normal?

He can't pedal at all? Do you have a push bike? Does he make the correct motions with his legs & feet while the pedals are moving from you pushing it?

Does he get his feet off the ground at a playground? Like sliding, swinging, jumping on those moving bridges, monkey bars, etc.?

If some of these other things are also difficult, I would consider an OT evaluation for SPD (and I say this as the Mom of an SPD kid). I can't remember exactly when pedaling is supposed to occur but OT is most effective at younger ages if it is needed. I wouldn't be concerned about the balancing issue, but not pedaling might be a red flag if it occurs in combination with other gross or fine motor issues. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to posts like this too, because everyone told me to wait and I wish we would have gone in sooner so YMMV.

• Like 1

Gosh - he's only 3.5.  If you have concerns, I might mention them at your next well child visit.  I think the advent of the balance bike has made things look skewed on the young end for biking.

FWIW, my son was physically a late bloomer and an academic early bloomer.  It's been really good for him to try different physical activities.  About that age he was doing a parent/child tumbling class.  He has done many things since then he is still not the most coordinated kid among his peer group, especially because he's gotten kind of long and lanky as of late.  But he can do a round off back handspring and follow basic dance choreography when he's doing theater stuff.  So I totally think he's fine!  I'll just say, he's his father's son. ETA - I do think my kid has some sensory quirks, but was never dx-ed with anything.

So I'd consider something like a tumbling class.  Parent/child music can be fun too and that was another fun thing that we did at that age that was physical - up and down, little creative movement, small motor, etc. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't pursue therapy over whether he can pedal a tricycle/bicycle with training wheels at that age or not. I think most kids can learn at least the tricycle at that age without too insanely much trouble, but there's a difference between "below average" and "requires therapy". Now, if he still can't figure out pedaling at 5.5yo or so, I might consider therapy (but, odds are there are some clear issues in other gross motor areas as well if he's still not able to pedal by then). Pedaling just isn't that important in the grand scheme of things to get therapy for earlier than that IMO.

• Like 2

He can't pedal at all? Do you have a push bike? Does he make the correct motions with his legs & feet while the pedals are moving from you pushing it?

Does he get his feet off the ground at a playground? Like sliding, swinging, jumping on those moving bridges, monkey bars, etc.?

If some of these other things are also difficult, I would consider an OT evaluation for SPD (and I say this as the Mom of an SPD kid). I can't remember exactly when pedaling is supposed to occur but OT is most effective at younger ages if it is needed. I wouldn't be concerned about the balancing issue, but not pedaling might be a red flag if it occurs in combination with other gross or fine motor issues.

Nope, can't pedal at all. We don't have a push bike, but have been pushing him a bit and even using our hands to try to show him the correct movement and he just doesn't get it at all. He can definitely do sliding, swinging, jumping around on playsets- none of our playgrounds have monkey bars, I'd say he probably couldn't do those. He is definitely behind in his gross motor skills, but I've always just watched him. He only recently began jumping off the ground- it was like his feet were cemented to the ground! 

That is what I have trouble with- if it's normal versus recognizing it's time to get help. I'm a pediatric RN and know that, just as you've said, younger ages have better results for therapy. 

Some kids ride at five, but I'd expect 6-7.

That's the normal age range for learning to riding a bike without training wheels. Pedaling a bicycle with training wheels or a tricycle (which is even easier) is normal at younger ages than that.

I'm from The Netherlands. You know, that country with the bicycles and bicycle paths everywhere and more bicycles than people.

• Like 7

My 3.5 yos have been able to pedal tricycles and ride balance bikes.  None of them could handle a pedal bike without training wheels.  (They went on to master that between 4.5 and 5.5 yo.)  

FWIW, the tricycle was easier for my kids than a bike with training wheels because on the bike they would look down at the pedals.  

I wouldn't look into OT at this point.

Nope, can't pedal at all. We don't have a push bike, but have been pushing him a bit and even using our hands to try to show him the correct movement and he just doesn't get it at all. He can definitely do sliding, swinging, jumping around on playsets- none of our playgrounds have monkey bars, I'd say he probably couldn't do those. He is definitely behind in his gross motor skills, but I've always just watched him. He only recently began jumping off the ground- it was like his feet were cemented to the ground! 

That is what I have trouble with- if it's normal versus recognizing it's time to get help. I'm a pediatric RN and know that, just as you've said, younger has better results for therapy. 

The feet cemented to the ground thing does actually raise a red flag with me because that description is the first sign I noticed with ds and then gross motor delays (again only slightly behind) widened and came to include fine motor as he got older. It turned out the SPD gave him an incorrect balance of the world so he wanted to try and keep his feet planted to the ground to keep his bearings.

I don't think you need to go running to therapy immediately, but if it would help your peace of mind, ChildFind does free gross motor/speech/fine motor evaluations through the school district starting at age 3. I declined preschool or any school services at all, but it did lead me to seek a 2nd opinion with an OT in the private sector. Just a thought. I know it is so hard when it is your oldest. Trust your Mommy Gut when you make a decision either way. :) Good luck!

• Like 5

That is what I have trouble with- if it's normal versus recognizing it's time to get help. I'm a pediatric RN and know that, just as you've said, younger has better results for therapy. 

FWIW, I think part of the reason why therapy has better results with younger kids is that many of those kids would've learned those skills without therapy over the next couple of years if they hadn't been given therapy. So, kids who start therapy at an older age already represent a group with more severe issues to begin with.

If it's really pedaling that is your primary reason for therapy, I wouldn't worry. There are many people out there who live wonderful lives without having a clue about how to ride a bike.

Anyway, I think in this discussion we're missing an option: an evaluation. You can probably get the school district to do gross and fine motor skills evals for free to see how he scores (or have your insurance do it if that's an option/you prefer), before you make any decisions as to whether he needs therapy or not.

• Like 11

Try a scooter. That's what finally taught my older son the balance necessary to move to a bike.

We have one and he really enjoys it. I think this is going to be a matter of getting him playing, running and jumping as much as  possible in the next couple months. He starts preschool (two mornings a week) this fall, so I'm hoping being around other children helps him to learn how to master more gross motor skills. I will also get the scooter back out and let him play around with that. Thanks! 

• Like 2

So, I have the sweetest 3.5 year old little boy. He is amazing and SO smart- he is beginning to read and loves learning. When it comes to physical "milestones" he is a bit behind his peers. He is just starting to be able to jump off the ground well, and we've tried to get him to do the balance bike thing since he was around 2. He is okay at it, but nowhere near "riding a bike." We also have a bike with training wheels that we've tried to get him to ride lately and he just can NOT understand or perform pushing the pedals. He also had a trike at my parent's home that he never figured out (with pedals). 

I am starting to get worried as I see his peers riding bikes well and no friends have reported difficulty with their kids learning it. Would you start to look into occupational or physical therapy or would you see this as normal?

How does he handle a tricycle? Is he able to pedal the tricycle well? He has a lot more time to learn to ride a normal bike without training wheels. Mine did not touch his bike until he was 6 and I "mede him learn" to pedal without his training wheels. 5-7 years is the norm in my circle of friends.

FWIW, I think part of the reason why therapy has better results with younger kids is that many of those kids would've learned those skills without therapy over the next couple of years if they hadn't been given therapy. So, kids who start therapy at an older age already represent a group with more severe issues to begin with.

If it's really pedaling that is your primary reason for therapy, I wouldn't worry. There are many people out there who live wonderful lives without having a clue about how to ride a bike.

Anyway, I think in this discussion we're missing an option: an evaluation. You can probably get the school district to do gross and fine motor skills evals for free to see how he scores (or have your insurance do it if that's an option/you prefer), before you make any decisions as to whether he needs therapy or not.

Thanks- here, age 3 is "too late" for school sponsored help, so I'd have to go on my own and get one done. I have a friend who does the "smart start" state funded therapy (she's an occupational therapist), so I'll just pick her brain next time I see her. I think getting an evaluation might be helpful regardless, even just to put my mind at ease. 

• Like 1

How does he handle a tricycle? Is he able to pedal the tricycle well? He has a lot more time to learn to ride a normal bike without training wheels. Mine did not touch his bike until he was 6 and I "mede him learn" to pedal without his training wheels. 5-7 years is the norm in my circle of friends.

I'm not even trying to get him to learn without training wheels, this is difficulty even with training wheels on. He can't figure out a normal tricycle either. 

I have a child about that age who doesn't quite have the hang of the balance bike - but with some advice from my DH that child has started to actually balance it.  I think my 3yo was in the habit of not gliding on it, so actually balancing wasn't on the radar.

So, if the scooter works, I'd think the balance bike would too.  As far as pedal bike - pedaling is a tricky skill for some kids.  Keep it divorced from balance (trike) and it'll come.

Thanks- here, age 3 is "too late" for school sponsored help, so I'd have to go on my own and get one done. I have a friend who does the "smart start" state funded therapy (she's an occupational therapist), so I'll just pick her brain next time I see her. I think getting an evaluation might be helpful regardless, even just to put my mind at ease. 

Are you in the US? I'm pretty sure school districts have to do free evals everywhere in the US. That said, I'm not sure if they can turn you down if your kid seems too 'normal' (they can if your kid is school age, but I've been told that in my district they do all preK age kids whose parents request an eval - I just don't know if they legally have to at that age).

But anyway, if you can get an eval done without breaking the bank, get an eval done. I think with most evaluators they do the eval in a way that's kind of fun for the kid, so it's not like you'd be subjecting the kid to a horrible experience.

• Like 4

I'm not even trying to get him to learn without training wheels, this is difficulty even with training wheels on. He can't figure out a normal tricycle either. 

Btw, I'd probably stop trying the bike at this point and only work on the trike until he gets the hang of the trike.

• Like 2

However, it also says that 3yos should be able to tricycle.

I was just going to point that out. We are not talking about riding a bicycle or balancing without training wheels (which my SPD kid could not do until age 9). We are talking about pedaling which is a different motor skill and yes, should have developed by now according to standard time tables. Not a huge deal, but a red flag to watch and something to work on if nothing else.

• Like 1

I have one who had to have therapy in order to pedal.  She was already in PT, so the PT worked with her.  She walked in front of the tricycle pushing down on each leg as it should be pedaling.  It took a while for my dd to get the hang of the alternating legs (several months, actually).  Before this she would push the one leg forward and then pull the same leg back, so the tricycle was essentially wiggling back and forth.  Tricycles are easier, so I would definitely start him with a trike rather than a bicycle.

With this and not being able to jump until recently, I think you should maybe have it evaluated.  It maybe completely normal, but paired with other motor skill problems, it could need some therapy.  

• Like 2

Research bilateral coordination and see if there are other things he struggles with as well. If it is just one area, I wouldn't think twice about it.  But if a pattern emerges then you will know if that is something which needs a bit of effort to learn for him. 

Link

Link

Have you tried 'air biking' with him, to get some practice?  Laying on your back to peddle arms or legs in the air.

• Like 2

Research bilateral coordination and see if there are other things he struggles with as well. If it is just one area, I wouldn't think twice about it.  But if a pattern emerges then you will know if that is something which needs a bit of effort to learn for him. 

Link

Link

Have you tried 'air biking' with him, to get some practice?  Laying on your back to peddle arms or legs in the air.

Thanks for these links! He is pretty good with all of the other examples that require bilateral coordination. I will also try the air biking- great idea! 

He may not be able to get help through the district, but they are required by law to identify students that may need assistance through the evaluation process of Child Find. Here's info on the law: The portion that covers up to age 3 is Part C of IDEA. That part of the law only states that those children that have been identified already by age 2 should be receiving services by age 3. If states choose, they can use a certain percentage of the Part C funds to to extend coverage to ages 3-5 (depends on funding). This does not mean they can refuse to evaluate your son now. They are obligated to identify and evaluate all children from birth to age 21.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/child.find.index.htm

http://www2.ed.gov/programs/osepeip/index.html

• Like 2

He may not be able to get help through the district, but they are required by law to identify students that may need assistance through the evaluation process of Child Find. Here's info on the law: The portion that covers up to age 3 is Part C of IDEA. That part of the law only states that those children that have been identified already by age 2 should be receiving services by age 3. If states choose, they can use a certain percentage of the Part C funds to to extend coverage to ages 3-5 (depends on funding). This does not mean they can refuse to evaluate your son now. They are obligated to identify and evaluate all children from birth to age 21.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/child.find.index.htm

http://www2.ed.gov/programs/osepeip/index.html

thank you- I didn't know this. My friend told me that it was "too late" to get any state funded help for my son, and left it at that. I didn't know that they were required to evaluate. Thank you!! 

I think if you're concerned, it can't hurt to get an evaluation. My oldest child didn't learn to pedal until he was around five, and he passed his OT eval with flying colors. Right now, I have two three year olds, and one has mild cerebral palsy (which affects motor skills). She just learned to jump, and doesn't pedal. That being said, she is in the 1st percentile for gross motor, and has other very obvious motor delays. My other three year old can only pedal backwards a bit. I think her skills are age appropriate.

My kiddo couldn't ride a trike at 5. It was a motor planning issue.

It certainly wasn't a lack of strength. He sure could kick.  :sneaky2:  :laugh:

I wonder whether it was a retained spinal galant problem too. As in, I just wondered this right now and haven't looked into it at all. OhElizabeth might know whether that is plausible. Huh. Never mind me.

• Like 1

I think if you're concerned, it can't hurt to get an evaluation. My oldest child didn't learn to pedal until he was around five, and he passed his OT eval with flying colors. Right now, I have two three year olds, and one has mild cerebral palsy (which affects motor skills). She just learned to jump, and doesn't pedal. That being said, she is in the 1st percentile for gross motor, and has other very obvious motor delays. My other three year old can only pedal backwards a bit. I think her skills are age appropriate.

you know, I think mine can pedal backward- he kept trying to, but the bike has a pedal break and wouldn't allow him to keep going. Thanks for the advice! I think we will be getting at the very least, an evaluation. 

I'd say an eval never hurts. You can always choose what you do from there. My DD has had services twice already: from age 1-2 for speech and gross motor, and 3.5-current for gross motor. I'm always surprised when the gross motor scores are as low as they are.  Both times I have been thrilled by the services provided, and seen a lot of improvement.  Would she have learned to walk even without services?  Yes.  But it was at the point that it was interfering with her ability to care for herself---she kept getting scratched/bit at daycare because she couldn't move away from the other children.  

In any case, we send her for an eval the first time when it was interfering with her safety, and the second time on the recommendation of her pediatrician. She's still in therapy, Still can't pedal at all. Still does not have the motor control for potty training. But she's improving and that's good. 

Bike riding is not one skill. It is many skills. Not being able to ride a bike at 3.5 is totally normal. Maybe he just doesn't want to that badly. Maybe there is some residual reflex there. Who knows? Some of the kids in our family rode two-wheelers from the age of three. Others didn't want to have anything to do with a tricycle and didn't ride a bike until seven. They are all able to do everything they need to do to have fun at school, learn, and socialize. The less coordinated / less speedy ones tend to play the easier sports or individual sports. :)

Not jumping, however, would give me pause. Some children are just very cautious and won't jump for love or money. If, however, this child wants to be able to jump over, for example, cracks in the sidewalk, but trips every time--I'd get him evaluated.

I think there is too great an emphasis on norms sometimes. Some people just aren't that coordinated / attentive / creative / detail-oriented / whatever. Others are just late bloomers.

3.5?!?!?  My kids are athletic little buggers and they didn't learn to ride a bike without training wheels until 6 (DD) 7 (DS); they were not riding well at 3, either.  I wouldn't even begin to break a sweat about a 3.5 y.o. not riding a bike.

• Like 6

At that early age I would not have one worry.  Not even the tiniest worry. Nor would I spend any money on an evaluation for so young a child.  You can relax completely!  :001_smile:

• Like 2

All my kids had trouble pedaling at that age and went on to pedal just fine at 4 or 4.5. My current 3.5 year old seems to be on the same trajectory. Very little interest in pedaling (he is probably the closest that any of my kids were at that age)...but he is like lightning on his razor scooter! There's a range of normal and 3.5 is well within that range.

• Like 1

You're trying to teach a 3.5yo how to ride a bicycle? :blink: I don't think that's age appropriate. A tricycle would be age appropriate. That's where I'd start.

• Like 2

I've had highly dexterous children really struggle. Especially with trikes. The geometry of the, isn't great compared to a bicycle. Even at six or seven years old I'd still not worry overly much. My oldest is eight and only just became proficient enough at peddling to balance and break well.

I think that's totally normal. I recommend removing the pedal (including the piece they are attached to, not just the part the feet go on) and the training wheels, lower his seat so that he can touch his feet flat to the ground and let him putter around like that. Basically, you're creating your own balance bike when you do that. Kids around the world learn on balance bikes. 

• Like 1