Menu

What good books are YOU reading??

I have a few days coming up next week where I will have time to myself.

Did I say that?   Who said that. .  time to myself.

Wow.  What nice 3 words those make when put together like that.  :laugh:

I'm heading to the library and need some ideas. I'll dig up the 52 books thread but thought I'd ask for shouts.

What have you read this year that you have really enjoyed?

Up for anything other than horror :ack2: , and drippy romance.

• Like 1

Just got the "new" Harper Lee book. Only 14 pp in so far. Hard to read a story that comes after To Kill A Mockingbird. I don't want the characters to change!

It didn't. There is a huge backstory to the book's release and I am torn about reading it. I have made the decision that I will not be purchasing a copy. If I read it, it will be a library copy. The "new" book was actually a rejected first draft before To Kill a Mockingbird was conceived and written.

You might be interested in these 2 articles: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122318/harper-lees-go-set-watchman-should-not-have-been-published

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122290/suspicious-story-behind-publication-go-set-watchman

I've read three books by Lisa Genova in the last couple weeks: Still Alice, Love Anthony, and Left Neglected. Very enjoyable & easy reads, but I wouldn't call them fluff. I have a couple of Anna Quindlen's books waiting in my library bag that I'll take on a weekend getaway today. Ah July, how I love thee!

• Like 1

I've been poking my way through the Mensa Excellence in Reading lists (http://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/), mixing from the junior high and high school lists. It's been fun going back and reading some of he classics I enjoyed previously and reading some that I had never gotten around to before. Currently reading Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

• Like 3

I had actually never read "To Kill A Mockingbird" before (I feel like I should hang my head in shame over that one, given that I have an English degree...though my emphasis was not literature)...so I just finished that and my plan was to immediately start reading Go Set A Watchman.   But I just haven't been able to start Watchman yet.  I need a few more days or weeks to think on "Mockingbird" first! 

• Like 2

It didn't. There is a huge backstory to the book's release and I am torn about reading it. I have made the decision that I will not be purchasing a copy. If I read it, it will be a library copy. The "new" book was actually a rejected first draft before To Kill a Mockingbird was conceived and written.

You might be interested in these 2 articles: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122318/harper-lees-go-set-watchman-should-not-have-been-published

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122290/suspicious-story-behind-publication-go-set-watchman

I meant that it is set after TKaM, not that it was actually written later. I expressed it poorly.

I wouldn't have purchased it either. It was a gift.

I have a read few good books lately:

Inside the O'Brien's  by LIsa Genova

Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Good Girl  by Mary Kubica

How Dante Saved my Life  by Rod Dreher

The House of Silk  by Anthony Horowitz

A Presumption of  Death by Jill Patton Walsh

I'm 3/4 of the way through The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. It's the first thing of hers that I've read, but I think I'll look for more. Really enjoying this one. (ETA: Finished it tonight, and it was excellent.)

Just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt (guess I've got a thing about secrets). Pretty good. A little weird, but good writing.

Also read the first two books in the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo in the past week. They weren't highbrow lit by any means, but fun easy reads, if you like fantasy and/or YA.

I usually have one "heavy" book in the works while I'm reading others -- something that takes awhile because I have to read a little, then stop and digest. Right now, that's The Genius of Luther's Theology by Robert Kolb and Charles P. Arand. Very dense, but I HIGHLY recommend if you're into that kind of thing!

• Like 1

Reading (back and forth) Charles Martin's Where the River Ends and a review copy of Emily Freeman's upcoming release Simply Tuesday.  The latter is a great non-fiction about living in the small, unassuming places instead of the pull of hurry. But, it won't release until next month. Put it on your list though if you like non-fiction!

I've been poking my way through the Mensa Excellence in Reading lists (http://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/), mixing from the junior high and high school lists. It's been fun going back and reading some of he classics I enjoyed previously and reading some that I had never gotten around to before. Currently reading Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

I'm doing the same. I finished Anna Karenina about a month ago. Since then I've taken a break from the list and I've read The Core, Why Students Don't Like School and I have 20 pages left in Climbing Parnassus (LOVE this book). I think realizing my daughter is going into 5th grade spurred me to rapidly educate myself as much as possible. I have dabled in classical education for a while but now I really want to solidify my teaching methods and figure out a path towards high school. After summer I will get back to the mensa reading list.

Just filled up on some Sherlock Holmes. Before that was A Passage to India. Currently reading "Raising a Thinking Pre-Teen" and instructor guides for next year's curriculum :p

One of my favorites of all time. I had a huge crush on Aziz when I was a teen. :) I plan to re-read it soon!

I've finished all the Kate Mortons that I could get my hands on. The Secret Keeper was quite good but I feel that The Distant Hours is her best.

I'm re-reading Jane Eyre and Middlemarch in preparation for a planned Brit Lit study. Also on my nightstand are The Teenage Liberation Handbook and The Complete Stalky by Kipling.

I just bought a used copy of Clifton Fadiman's The Lifetime Reading Plan for ideas. We have put Watchmen on hold for later, after the hype dies down. I don't think I can take it right now.

So far since May I have read, The Girl on the Train, All the Light We Cannot See, Unveiling Grace, Ghost Boy, Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture. Currently reading Viper Pilot, and after that I have Monuments Men. I have been in a reading frenzy of late....

Well, based on some recommendations from a thread I started back in May ("Any good sci-fi or fantasy book recommendations (pub. in 2000 or more recently)? For me, actually…"), I've really enjoyed these light sci-fi works:

- The Martian (Weir)

- Ready Player One (Cline)

- Ancillary Justice (Leckie)

Sadly, for the past 6 weeks, I have unexpectedly had very little time to read due to difficult life circumstances beyond my control. However, I have read some new-to-me books since January; these are titles I esp. enjoyed:

Fun, "Complete Fluff" Reads

- William Shakespeare's Star Wars (Doescher)

- Sorcery & Cecelia, Or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Wrede & Stevermer)

- Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Sloan)

- The Deception at Lyme  (Bebris) -- #6 in the Mr. & Mrs. Darcy mystery series -- says it all ;)

- Austenland (Hale) -- chick lit and a bit too romance-y, neither of which is a genre I ever read, but the Austen connection made me willing to try this one, and it made me laugh out loud a few times

Good Reads

- The Doomsday Book (Willis) -- future time travel/pandemic mash-up with detailed historical fiction

- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Shaffer & Barrows) -- charming

- Daughter of Time (Tey) -- mystery; such quality writing makes this a delight to read

Really Good Reads

- Invention of Wings (Kidd)

- Name of the Wind; Wise Man's Fear (Rothfuss) 

- The Thief (and the 3 sequels) (Turner) -- the first 2 in the series were esp. good; the 4th is weak, but still enjoyable

"Classics" -- okay, I confess... I read these last year, not recently ;)

- Never Let Me Go (Ishiguro)

- The Thirteenth Tale (Setterfield)

- Jane Eyre (Bronte)

- Northanger Abbey (Austin) -- while this may be her lightest work, it's really quite fun and well-executed

Still trying to get to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (Clarke) … sigh...

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword by Anne Leckie, mentioned by Lori.  Ready Player One was a fun read, especially if you played video games in the 80s!  Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey was really great, too.  These were all 4-star reads for me this year.  A few others:

Set This House in Order - Matt Ruff - about a character with multiple personality disorder

World War Z - Max Brooks - I enjoyed this much more than I expected to. It's written in the style of an investigative report, interviewing survivors of the zombie war.  Light on horror, heavy on the human impact.

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

I hope things get better soon, Lori.  :grouphug:

I am very encouraged that any of you have time to read anything. The more I read about homeschooling, the more it seems impossible. I guess it is summertime though.

I don't read fiction usually because I really need to eat and sleep and I never had the discipline to put it down.

I am presently reading The Core and Thimerosal, which is about the extreme folly of still allowing mercury and aluminum in vaccines. I am a fast reader and love to read but I have still been taking months to read The Core. I'm pregnant and would just rather sleep.

I've been taking some time to read a few novels. Junk that I won't mention. I think it's been good for me though.

Books worth mentioning

Everyday Matters and Art Before Breakfast by Danny Gregory.

The Artist's Way

One Day in the Life of the English Language. It's a surprisingly readable grammar book. A small hardcover. I have an elastic band around it and have been keeping it in my bag and using it to distract myself while waiting. I've been having to do some waiting lately. This book is calming to me. Partly I like how it feels in my hands, I guess. It's very light for a hardcover.

• Like 1

Guest rachelleoliver

I just finished Unbroken. So worth the read.

My favorite novel from the last year though was The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Such a good book!!!

Terry Pratchett, at present!

Me too! Those novels are so delicious. Yum yum yum.

I'm also reading,

"Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow". P Høeg. (In English)

Various works. J Dewey.

Various works. N Noddings.

"Godel Escher Bach". D R Hofstadter.

"The Pure Gold Baby". M Drabble.

The library didn't have Philosophy of Tolkien but DD did get The Hobbit. I came home with Deconstructing Penguins, The Soul of Discipline, Science Matters and The Knowlege Deficit. I need to take a break after this and do some fun reading. My brain is about to explode with information overload. To many idea's at one time. 

This summer I decided to take a break for the most part and concentrate on me,my development and sanity.

So far I have read:

The War Against Grammar

The Latin Centered Curriculum

Aesop Fables

Grimm Fairy Tales

Memoria Press magazine articles (Classical Teacher)

The Read Aloud Handbook (reading now)

Grammar land Audio book ( I know I am a big kid )

Plan to read:

What the Internet is doing to our brains

The price of privilege

The Miseducation of black children

Is Google making us stupid

Excellent sheep the miseducation of the American Elite

Where you go is not who you will be : an antidote to the college admissions mania

Read Recently:

Ghost Boy-Martin Pistorius

The Miniaturist-Jessie Burton

Salvage the Bones-Jesmyn Ward

Ocean at the End of the Lane-Neil Gaiman

Room-Emma Donoghue

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time-Mark Haddon

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August (just started this)

Want to Read:

Shock of the Fall-Nathan Filer

Night Circus-Erin Morgenstein

The Martian-Andy Weir

Still Alice-Lisa Genova

Swamplandia!-Karen Russell

ETA: Room has a lot of sensitive topics. The main characters are a 5 year old boy (Jack) and his mom. The mom has been kidnapped and Jack is a result of rape by her captor. She also mentions that she had a miscarriage before Jack, and tries to commit suicide about 3/4 of the way through the book. It's told from the perspective of Jack who sees nothing wrong with living in 'Room' because he has never seen 'Outside' so it's not a super dark and depressing book, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Jaber Crow by Wendell Berry. Love it

I reluctantly read that for a book club a few years ago and really enjoyed it too. I've since read his other books set in the same area, they aren't really a series but many of the characters overlap. I love his writing style.

Not necessarily in order but this is what I've read this year.

Arabian Nights (In progress)

How to Talk so Kids Will Learn (in progress)

The Bluest Eye

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Slaughterhouse 5

It Starts with Food

Never Let Me Go

Of Mice and Men

The Greatest Show on Earth (IP)

The Stand

Siddhartha

The Red Tent

Brave New World (IP)

Beyond Outrage: What has gone wrong with our economy…

A Perfect Life

Strong Curves

I'm 3/4 of the way through The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. It's the first thing of hers that I've read, but I think I'll look for more. Really enjoying this one. (ETA: Finished it tonight, and it was excellent.)

Just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt (guess I've got a thing about secrets). Pretty good. A little weird, but good writing.

Also read the first two books in the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo in the past week. They weren't highbrow lit by any means, but fun easy reads, if you like fantasy and/or YA.

I usually have one "heavy" book in the works while I'm reading others -- something that takes awhile because I have to read a little, then stop and digest. Right now, that's The Genius of Luther's Theology by Robert Kolb and Charles P. Arand. Very dense, but I HIGHLY recommend if you're into that kind of thing!

I just started Secret Keeper! I like it so far.

I finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I enjoyed it. Oh and I just finished My Antonia.

I'm also reading The Core.

Next up: What Alice Forgot and A Homemade Life

I'm in the middle of A Taste For Death by PD James.  I realized after i brought it home that I have read it before, but her novels are good enough to re-read.

I am also part way into Spirit of Place by Lawrence Durrell which I am enjoying.  i haven't read anything of his before, but I have read most of his brother's books, (Gerald Durrell the naturalist.)  He has one which is also a collection of essays that he titled Fillets of Plaice which I own and very much enjoyed, so when I saw Spirit of Place on the shelf I thought I would give it a try.  Though I find it hard to take Lawrence too seriously after reading so many of Gerald's descriptions of him.