Menu

S/O Off the Grid/ Homesteading... Do you think you could live in a post apocalyptic world with no technology?

Anne in CA

I am pleasantly surprised by how many people could do well. Of course, there would be trouble from lawless people, and how much damage they could do would be anyone's guess. It would really depend on lots of variables. Melissa, I am amazed!

not really so amazing where I live. it is only a generation ago that mostly everyone around this area lived like I do. DH and I absolutely love trying to perfect the live on very low income  and as self sufficient as we can lifestyle.

• Like 5

Up to 12 years ago, I had no worries. Practically lived in a tent doing field work anyway. :)

Now I'm dependent on meds - to stay alive. So, yep, I'd only be good as long as the supply of meds lasts. DS would have the same issues. DH and DD would be in better shape. If they could make it to my parents', they'd be fine.

I'm with Farrar, hoping to be in the city and go down quickly.

• Like 1

I've thought about this a lot. DS's scout master is the "store ammo, survive the apocalypse" type, and he's quite vocal about it.

We've got lots of old style camping gear and know how to use it; we don't hunt, but DH has a compound bow and is getting quite proficient; we have some basic gardening knowledge, and being LDS, we've got some food storage, but...

... within a week of running out of psych meds, we'll probably kill each other off.

ETA:  to fix the "auto-correct" errors introduced by my phone.

• Like 2

Would there still be toilet paper??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We could probably make it. We know how to live off the land provided there is usable land and nothing is toxic. As far as toilet paper goes, I suppose we could use the leaves on all those trees around us...

• Like 2

Assuming this is about skill and not luck, yes.

Not because I know how to dig and maintain an outhouse, though I do, and I have (though, in a group).

Not because I know how to purify water using nothing but solar power and a rainwater catchment system, though I do, and I have.

Not because I know how to bake bread from air, grain, and water (though I do, and I have).

Not because I can start a fire in the rain with flint, and keep embers going (though I do, and I have).

Not because I can garden (I know which plants don't die, at least).

Not because I know how to light an entire room with a hand-powered flashlight (though I do, and I have).

ETA: Not because I know how to make old books into soft toilet paper, though I do, and I have.

Not because I have marketable skills post-apocalypse, such as experience teaching English, math, Latin, Bible Greek (I'd teach it to the church in exchange for sewing, why not), and American history, among other things.

Nope, it's because I know people who have many skills and have a place where my good name means something and can walk there. We don't have guns ourselves, but I have skills, particularly cooking, teaching, and gardening, that would complement family skills like hunting and first-aid, and THEY have guns. :) And a generator! We would walk, probably all of us, down to my home town and all together tough it out. If we had to go to the mountain, we could: most of us have climbed the mountain or at least halfway up. We have cabins, not just my family, but families with whom I have suffered, shared child care, and food before. My ability to cook without fuel and to cook well would be my best complement to the hunter. Besides that, I am also a very good diplomat and have effectively managed village affairs before, even in a highly armed, highly conflict-prone society. I am very good at organizing people and do so for my job. It's one reason I don't work in the private sector--I don't listen to the boss. :)

I am still counting on the town. And no life-threatening diseases.

Funny, because my skills in civilization are very.. civilized. I program, I write. But my survival skills are nothing like that.

I don't think it's a fun scenario. It's a lot of tedium. There is a reason I love civilization. I love the Internet. I have lived without it. It sucks more than you'd think... even if you have a ukulele with you.

• Like 5

We could probably make it. We know how to live off the land provided there is usable land and nothing is toxic. As far as toilet paper goes, I suppose we could use the leaves on all those trees around us...

start saving your Sear's catalogs.  Wait. . . do they even make Sear's catalogs anymore?   :scared:

• Like 6

You would be surprised who is addicted to nice soft toilet paper.

When I was in a deployable unit in the military, it was the big macho guys who bought their own toilet paper and put it in with our big box of government issued stuff...because evidently the government toilet paper was too scratchy, LOL. They were very serious about their soft tp. I did contribute a few dollars and use some but I would not have gone out of my way to shop for it...

• Like 1

You would be surprised who is addicted to nice soft toilet paper.

When I was in a deployable unit in the military, it was the big macho guys who bought their own toilet paper and put it in with our big box of government issued stuff...because evidently the government toilet paper was too scratchy, LOL. They were very serious about their soft tp. I did contribute a few dollars and use some but I would not have gone out of my way to shop for it...

In fairness, between military food and that TP, hemorrhoids are to the modern military a plague unrelenting.

• Like 1

Why does everyone assume people will turn cannibal? Civilizations have collapsed without things going that far.

I think it would happen, at least in this country, because of our overconsumption of meat and the fact that most people don't know how to garden or forage. We're used to a lot of protein, and that will be the easiest way for most people to get it. 

I really don't think civilization is going to collapse, though. There would have to be complete worldwide destruction. Otherwise, if it was just our country, we'd limp along with assistance from other countries until we could get our basic infrastructure up and running again. And if there was something that could take out the entire world and collapse civilization, such as a virus, the small population that was left could subsist on the remaining resources for years. Plenty of time for people to figure out gardening and all that stuff.just

I just can't imagine a scenario where there would be a worldwide catastrophe that would permanently destroy infrastructure on a global scale, while also leaving the population intact to the point that there wouldn't be enough resources for the near future.

• Like 3

Yep, prepping is part of our lives. Pioneer skills are something I have taught to the kids. We know how to garden, hunt, can, sew, filter water, etc. We have taken "primitive survival" classes (mostly for fun or historical reasons.) Firearm safety and skills are part of our household philosophy. We don't live in a city, which I actually think is rule one to surviving a societal meltdown.

• Like 2

If it's an EMP that takes out civilization, all the gardening skills in the world aren't going to keep you alive. Other people will kill you long before starvation does. In that kind of world, with murder and cannibalism happening daily, I'd rather just die rather than live like that.

This is true for those who live in or near civilization.  The masses need food and will do whatever they can to get it, but there's a short supply of huntable animals and farms.

For those of us who live more than a week's hike from any major city (and even then people would have to get the direction correct AND find us), we've got a much better shot.  There are fewer people here and those who are are very like minded, so banding together is a given.  We know how to hunt and how to grow food.  Some of us have military backgrounds and know a fair amount about defense.  There are tons of critters (so who needs to eat humans?).  We have a good supply of water, but not one people can easily use to boat here.  We're used to surviving power outages for a while.

I think we have pretty good odds.  We would need someone with better medical skills, but if the end can wait until after middle son is through medical school, we'll have that too.

While the city folks are killing each other off and decimating anything close to them, we have time to set up properly.

I am pleasantly surprised by how many people could do well. Of course, there would be trouble from lawless people, and how much damage they could do would be anyone's guess. It would really depend on lots of variables. Melissa, I am amazed!

I think most (overall) would NOT do well, but this board has more people who think outside the box and could be used to doing things their own way with a "can do" attitude.

• Like 1

I know we'd be fine in Southern, Midwestern, or Eastern climates, because my dad went out of his way to teach survival skills and DH is an engineer who grew up in the country. He might not know as much about things like gardening or building fish traps as I do, but he's smart and a hard worker.  I'm terrified of being in a desert when that type of thing happens though- I wouldn't know how to find enough water or which plants are edible and I'd be afraid of catching rabbit, squirrels, or other small game because of things like plague.

Taking a desert survival course is on my someday list.

• Like 1

My family would survive. We can grow and preserve our own food, have chickens for protein, and are experienced campers. We all have survival skills training except dd, but we'd teach her quickly if the need arose. 

I probably enjoy no technology for awhile at least.

• Like 1

Nope, my family wouldn't survive. We don't know how to fend for ourselves. In fact, the only gun I've ever seen in my life is a BB gun and I didn't even see that shot. I don't grow my own food and would never in a million years think of owning animals beyond the common house pet like a dog or cat. We would be killed off easily. Maybe I shouldn't have chosen this as an early morning post to read. What a way to start the day.

• Like 5

Nope.  I wouldn't have trouble with stuff like no TV or phone.  The climate here makes it difficult to grow stuff and it would be impossible for us to grow enough to sustain us throughout the year.  I also live in a city with no yard.  But then stuff is so spread out and dependent upon transportation that would also be a major difficulty.   The only animals are squirrels and tiny birds.  So nothing to hunt.  Unless we started eating human.  But ewww I don't want to eat human.

• Like 1

I'm revealing my rural roots here, but has anyone else found themselves humming "A Country Boy Can Survive" all morning?

😄

(BTW, We have a pretty diverse skill set between us, and fairly close knit rural neighborhood, so I think we'd do just fine. Right up until I had to shoot someone because they were hungry and wanted my carrots or whatever. Then we'd be sunk, because I don't think I could do it.)

• Like 3

I think most (overall) would NOT do well, but this board has more people who think outside the box and could be used to doing things their own way with a "can do" attitude.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, I think people are likely overly optimistic about how well they'd do; similar to almost everybody thinking they're an "above average" driver.

• Like 4

I suspect many who think they'd do well wouldn't, and many who think they'd quickly be goners might survive fairly easily.  Sheer luck would be a huge factor for everybody.

True, but I think if you're going into it thinking "we're dead meat", that's likely going to turn out to be true. Attitude matters so much (with everything).

• Like 1

Yep. After the map of gun permits just north of NYC was published, I believe once the horde gets thru there, their numbers will be diminished enough that we can survive in the rougher terrain. Most people up here still hunt. I am the 2nd generation not living self sufficiently in my fam, so it wont bother me to live like I did over the summers at the gps. Most homes here are 90+ years old, so have working fireplaces. I suspect the mammals will be eaten quickly though...my 90 year old or older neighbors recall that taking a deer was very difficult when they were young men, as they were nowhere near as plentiful as now.

At least there'd be a lot less road kill to compete with, not to mention, plentiful to start with is a really big plus.

• Like 2

I'm revealing my rural roots here, but has anyone else found themselves humming "A Country Boy Can Survive" all morning?

😄

(BTW, We have a pretty diverse skill set between us, and fairly close knit rural neighborhood, so I think we'd do just fine. Right up until I had to shoot someone because they were hungry and wanted my carrots or whatever. Then we'd be sunk, because I don't think I could do it.)

No.  I never heard that tune.

• Like 1

True, but I think if you're going into it thinking "we're dead meat", that's likely going to turn out to be true. Attitude matters so much (with everything).

They do, but it is impossible to know how one would react to something like this.  I don't think it is typical for most humans to instantly give up.  Even though my first thought is, "I'd just give up."  I probably wouldn't. 

• Like 2

Attitude certainly does matter, but it's way more complicated than just the initial mindset of "we're dead meat" or "we'll be okay."  I don't rule out the possibility that those who embrace the idea that they'll be dead meat would be so much less stressed about things that psychologically they'd fare much better than those intent on surviving at all costs or those who (perhaps) overestimate their abilities.  How one deals with the psychological stress would be at least as big a factor as sheer luck.  And in reality none of us can accurately predict how we'd react psychologically.  We can guess, but we just can't know.

And in almost all of TEOTWAWKI books I've read (and I've read a lot) there's been at least one clueless, carefree person who seems to come out just fine.  So it must be true, right? ;)

• Like 3

Attitude certainly does matter, but it's way more complicated than just the initial mindset of "we're dead meat" or "we'll be okay."  I don't rule out the possibility that those who embrace the idea that they'll be dead meat would be so much less stressed about things that psychologically they'd fare much better than those intent on surviving at all costs or those who (perhaps) overestimate their abilities.  How one deals with the psychological stress would be at least as big a factor as sheer luck.  And in reality none of us can accurately predict how we'd react psychologically.  We can guess, but we just can't know.

And in almost all of TEOTWAWKI books I've read (and I've read a lot) there's been at least one clueless, carefree person who seems to come out just fine.  So it must be true, right? ;)

I agree. Incidentally this reminds me of some joke about two boys running away from a cheetah (or some other wild animal). The smart boy quickly does the math in his head and stops running, because he calculated that he'd never be able to outrun the cheetah. The other boy keeps running, and the smart boy asks why*, since people are just too slow. The other boy answers: "I don't have to outrun the cheetah, I just have to outrun you!".

*Realistically, there shouldn't be time for him to ask anything after stopping running, but w/e.

• Like 4

I agree. Incidentally this reminds me of some joke about two boys running away from a cheetah (or some other wild animal). The smart boy quickly does the math in his head and stops running, because he calculated that he'd never be able to outrun the cheetah. The other boy keeps running, and the smart boy asks why*, since people are just too slow. The other boy answers: "I don't have to outrun the cheetah, I just have to outrun you!".

*Realistically, there shouldn't be time for him to ask anything after stopping running, but w/e.

Ahh, but the factor being overlooked is the wild predator's instinct to chase.  I wouldn't bet on the cheetah gobbling up the boy who stopped.  The cheetah would be smart enough to know he could catch the still fleeing one, and he might feel like having a few extra seconds of fun. ;)

• Like 2

Yes. In fact, my friends have told us that if there were an apocalypse, they would head here. I told them, fine, but I'd put them to work!

My biggest fear would be that certain family members would show up, expecting to sit on my couch and have me do all the work...you know, the ones who don't drink water because, "I just don't like it." Those who live on take out...

Sigh.

But yeah, here on the farm we *could* do it. My children wouldn't be very well educated though, and it would be a struggle.

We'd have to install a hand pump on the well, and probably would have to downsize our cattle herd to deal with feeding them, but I think it could work out.

• Like 4

Yes. In fact, my friends have told us that if there were an apocalypse, they would head here. I told them, fine, but I'd put them to work!

My biggest fear would be that certain family members would show up, expecting to sit on my couch and have me do all the work...you know, the ones who don't drink water because, "I just don't like it." Those who live on take out...

Sigh.

But yeah, here on the farm we *could* do it. My children wouldn't be very well educated though, and it would be a struggle.

We'd have to install a hand pump on the well, and probably would have to downsize our cattle herd to deal with feeding them, but I think it could work out.

I know what you mean. I have an aunt and her daughter with five children that lead a lifestyle that would not be compatible with survival. The kids are always in trouble with the law, a near constant problem, and the two adults (none of the fathers of these children have an active role in parenting and some of them are in prison) drink, smoke dope constantly, and think everyone else owes them something. They would make it profoundly difficult for everyone else. As harsh as it sounds, I would send the two adults and the teens who have so much history with juvie packing, but I would keep the two younger children if she was willing to leave them.

We have solar panels to operate the well pump and the electronics on the wood boiler. But, I think it would also be wise to have a hand pump available in case the system needed repairs or the battery array that stores the power wouldn't take or keep a charge any longer when the batteries got to the end of their lives.

• Like 1

We'd be fine. It would be rough, especially if someone got sick, and my health isn't the best, but in terms of day to day living we have the needed skills, supplies, and contacts.

I used to think I could do it, but some of my family members have joined the ranks of the millions being kept alive by modern medical technology.

So if we lost our hospitals, pharmacies, labs, and cadre of health care professionals, I wouldn't have time to even plant my garden. I'd be on a mission to track down purveyors of essential oils, as I've frequently been assured that EOs can take the place of western medicine...we'd probably all die of starvation and exposure while I searched in vain for those post-apocalyptic healers with their little miracle vials.

I know you're kidding, especially in light of the recent threads, but there is a whole lot of preserving life and health one can do with an antiseptic like alcohol, herbal tinctures and poultices. Essential oils can be a big part of wound dressing and analgesia - clove and TTO, in particular. And with a good herb garden or sourced dry herbs you can deal with a number of modern health maladies whose pharmacological solution is derived from these sources.

That's what drives me nuts about the EO people. Many of them have other practices and knowledge that are great - but they're overpromising big time on one point and it undermines their credibility for the rest. I have EOs in my medicine tackle box, but they're not the entirety of that box! A little iodine, rubbing alcohol, and goldenseal helps immensely, too ;)

Don't be grossed out, but flannel squares make awesome reusable wipes with cloth diapering. The solution is the same for adults - deal with laundering out feces and wash your hands. A few times.

I think we'd be fine as long as something doesn't happen to dh.  He grew up living in the mountains, off the land.  We couldn't stay where we are though.  We have half-jokingly picked a spot where we would meet up if something awful happens and we are separated.

• Like 1

We'd probably be okay. I grew up in a rural area with animals and gardens so there's still a few skills there. We know how to hunt and fish, although we've never processed our own meat. Dh can build just about anything, and we're hard workers. Water would be difficult once we're past our emergency supplies ( tornado area ). There are close lakes, but we'd have to haul the water which would be labor intensive.

I realized after I went to bed that I hadn't mentioned my husband in my ponderings. I feel I should clarify that, while he has some physical limitations that would make it difficult for him to contribute directly in terms of hands-on work, he would be a tremendous asset when it came to planning and keeping everyone focused. 

And when I shared this thread with my son, he commented that I had forgotten to mention his natural leadership abilities (and his humility, of course). He's not wrong. He does have a real gift for making people pay attention to him and get enthusiastic about his ideas. 

All four of us are just pretty no-nonsense, capable, intelligent people. Most of us are not easily intimidated by change or challenge. I'm not saying it would be easy, but if we assume the biggest issue is simply providing for ourselves (in other words, barring things like zombie attacks and nuclear fall-out), we'd manage.

• Like 1