Menu

Moms of daughters...do you let them wear black?

I remember when I was growing up, my mother didn't let me wear black. It was considered "fast" or too sophisticated. I guess I usually consider the cut and style of clothes when buying for my dds and not so much the color. Is black still considered inappropriate or is it OK?

Dd11 now loves to wear black. Not ALL black, but like a black shirt or jacket paired w/ denim or black pants w/ a bright colored shirt. I also purchased some black for dd3 who is rather fair and she looks cute in it! I love black myself b/c it's a "thinning" color and I need all the help I can get in THAT area! :D

You know, I had completely forgotten -- but when I was 14 or so, I tried on a black dress in a store (my mother was with me). She commented that I wasn't really old enough to wear black yet, but that it fit and looked nice on me. (It was a perfectly appropriate dress, style-wise, cut-wise, and all other wise.) She did allow me to buy it, and I wore it for a couple of years.

My girls wear black, by the way. Like I said, I had completely forgotten about my mother's comment. When I read your post, it came back as clearly as if it had happened yesterday!

My grandmother used to make a big deal about little girls wearing black. She said the color was "too old" for them. I never knew what she meant.:)

I love black but I do think it looks kind of dreary on anyone younger than say 12 or 13. I don't mind a black skirt with a different color top, though. Black is such a nice neutral color - you can mix and match it with just about anything.

I agree with the notion that the cut and fit should be the main consideration. Modesty is always my first concern with my daughters. They don't wear anything low cut, clingy or above the knee. That's just our way, though.

I remember bringing home a black jumpsuit from a trip to the mall the summer between 7th and 8th grade. My mom nearly fainted, but she didn't make me return it!

I wear lots of black now. But my dds don't have very much black. My mil bought younger dd a white/black dress for Easter and she did not like it, so she wore another dress to church. But I have never told them they shouldn't wear black.

I've never questioned my kids' choice of color, even when they manage to mix orange and blue. :confused:

Living outside of Gainesville, and having a dh that is a big Gator fan, we wear lots of blue and orange together. :D

To answer the original question - all of my dds wear black. Mostly in the winter, as it is too hot in the summer.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that black is inappropriate but I do not put black dresses on my little girls (both 7 and under). I think a black dress is too, (hmm I want to write mature but that may not be the best word choice) and dull for a young child. Both dd's have black pants and have had a couple black t-shirts over the years, but not many. I prefer colour on little kids.:)

I think it's fine. The style, the fabric, etc... are more important.

An anecdotal story...I attended a small Christian school from 7th-12th grade. My older sister liked to wear black a lot, sometimes all black. One day when she was wearing all black, she passed the principal in the hall. He made a comment to the effect that she shouldn't wear all black, that it was like the devil. She said to him, so if I wear all white, am I like God? Zing!

YEs they wear black. I have never heard of it being seen as fast. Even baby girl wore a black onsie as a newborn and now has a black yoga suit. DD has some black skirts and tops. I think it has more to do with style of the outfit itself as opposed to colour. short little mini skirts, or low cut dresses are inappropriate even if they are done in colours other than black, where as a block yoga suit is soft, comfy and full coverage.

My girls are allowed to wear black, but only one looks good in it. Like a PP stated, warm climates aren't great for black so it's usually just winter sweaters or a tank top. DS loves black t-shirts b/c you can't see the dirt. LOL

I do remember black not being appropriate for young girls, but that has gone by the wayside--just like no white after Labor Day. (Does anyone in our generation still subscribe to this?)

We did tease my daughter for a year or so about her "goth tendencies," because she wore so much black. But it wasn't a conscious fashion statement, really, just a coincidence based on the fact that most of the t-shirts she liked happened to come in that color.

I've never before heard of there being any stigma associated with wearing black. Hmm. Learn something new every day, I guess?

My girls wear some black things. Black leggings are awesome, for example, because they can be paired with many tops. If I can find leggings, I try to have black and navy blue in their drawers.

Emma has a black Gymboree dress with pink ballet slippers embroidered on it. It has a drop waist and a mock turtle neck and a wide pink satin sash. She loves it. I don't think it's too old on her or anything. Don't know what we'll do when she outgrows it!

I've seen lots of black and white holiday clothing, for example, and it's not my favorite. I prefer dark green on my redheads. :D

I think it depends far more on the style and cut of the fabric than whether it's black.

just like no white after Labor Day. (Does anyone in our generation still subscribe to this?)

I don't wear white after labour day, mainly because by October we have snow and I would rather not camoflouge with the snow lol My kids still wear white with the exception of white shoes, because as soon as they step out in the snow they are no longer white anyway.

I wear white after Labor Day. The only people I've heard say "no white after Labor Day" are my MIL and others her age or older. Present company excluded! I'm sure you're not "that old"!

It's usually only an issue with dress shoes paired with a dress for Sundays. But if white shoes look better than any other color shoes, then we wear them.

DD11 has black tee style shirts from Target that she pairs with colorful print tanks or wears under jean jacket style blazers. She also has a black church skirt and dress that are paired with colorful or print shirts. I have not thought about black as being pegged to an age. DD is not into the "goth" look and at this time (I'll never say never...) isn't attracted to that look or culture in our community.

My favorite black story is from my mother. In the 50s she was meeting her future MIL. She worked in the fashion industry as a model (as did her mother). When she met her future MIL, she was worried about wearing black nylons. They were VERY cutting edge at that time and was afraid she might have been thought of as a "tart". Well, low and behold... when she stepped out of the car, she was greeted by her future MIL who too, was wearing black nylons! For many today, a negative connotation to wearing black is just a remnant of a past cultural mores.

I always leaned toward black because it looks good on me. I never knew there was a stigma attached to wearing black. I'd say the color isn't as important as cut and style and how appropriate those are for the age of the wearer.

All three of my dd's are varying shades of blonde. My oldest has the lightest blonde hair and the fairest skin of the three girls. She looks very good in black, but then I've heard all blondes tend to look good in black.

I would agree with Angela; the color isn't as important as the cut of the dress or clothing and style, and whether or not the outfit is age-appropriate.

HTH!

I remember when I was growing up, my mother didn't let me wear black. It was considered "fast" or too sophisticated. I guess I usually consider the cut and style of clothes when buying for my dds and not so much the color. Is black still considered inappropriate or is it OK?

You know, this is really an important cultural question. Colors and other attire, including hair styles, do take on meaning in a culture and when we choose to ignore such cultural messages, it's important to do it thoughtfully.

Black is definitely sophisticated. On the other hand, there's a prevalent goth culture that's full of it's own meaning.

At first I thought this was a trick question, lol! :001_smile:

Yes, my dds both wear black. They had black leggings when they were toddlers and they wore black turtle-necks with cute pleated, plaid skirts when they were children. Now as teens they wear black as well. I like black.

However, I would never let them wear black dresses that were cut to be slinky or to resemble a woman's evening dress. I think that is the 'black' that has the stigma attached to it.

Also there is the possibility of black being the color worn during mourning and why some of our mothers and grandmothers thought black was too 'mature' or that someone was 'too young' for black. They just didn't want anyone young to have to mourn, kwim?

But I don't think that applies at all in this day and time. Any color is ok. It's the cut and style that matter to me.

My dd do not wear black. I don't forbid it; I just never buy them anything that color. My oldest dd had to wear a black turtleneck for a play she did, and it looked great with her hair, but I still don't like to see her in black. I tend to like my girls to wear light colors. I agree with the grandmas who say it is "too old" for them. :)

I also had not ever heard of black being "too old". Both my kids wear black. Not head to toe black, but one piece. I would be more concerned with cut and style than the color also. We have to carry lint brushes with us when wearing black. We have 3 furry babies who love to rub on you when wearing black ;)

I don't black is so much considered "Fast" now as its looked at as more that metal/evil/anarchist/rebel/"bad" boy/girl kind of thing. I wear a lot of it. :D Its my favorite color anyway. I like the mystery of it.

And it all depends on the context its in too. Obviously a black evening dress is going to send different signals. As is black worn in more of a preppy style. It all depends on the way in which it is worn. A "hooker dress" is a hooker dress, no matter what color.

As for little kids, I have no problem with them in black. Its just clothes. Like a PP said: boy there's lots of other things much more important than that.

Just my $.02.

Black is timeless, classy, slimming and easy to mix and match with most colors. Now, my children are only 6 and 7 so I would object to all black head to toe or black every day, but if dd wants a black turtleneck or tights that's fine with me. Black nail polish and lipstick will never be acceptable for me.

I never heard of this. My older daughter wears black t-shirts, black two piece dresses, etc, She is a golden blonde with long wavy hair and she looks great in black. She doesn't resemble a goth at all since she wears no eye make-up, no chains, no tattoos, no pins, etc. She either looks practical or classy. It is sort of funny because for a girl who cares nothing for her looks usually, she ends up looking terrific.

huh, I never heard that about black

I like black.

:iagree:

My Mom didn't want me to wear red lipstick or nail polish because it was for "harlots and Jezebels," but I did it anyway. :D I still wear black and red whenever the heck I want.

Sorry, I don't have any daughters or any advice, I just found your post very interesting.

I'd never heard that before. Was she just talking about evening wear or black on all clothes?

I remember back in the 80's reading one of those "How to tell if your kids are on drugs" articles and wearing black often was listed as a warning sign, we got a big laugh out of that one.:lol:

As others have have said I'm much more concerned with style and cut being age appropriate then what color it is.

My youngest daughter has had black Christmas dresses the last 3 years. She already has a black velvet skirt that will be the basis of her Christmas outfit for this year. She wears black tights, black shoes, black hair dodads in the winter as well. This summer one of her favorite outfits has been camouflage capris with a black t-shirt.

I never knew black was controversial!!!

Growing up, MY mother always said "black is too old for children" and I NEVER had anything black. Well, my riding boots were always black, after I grew out of paddock boots and jhodpurs, but I don't recall one solitary piece of clothing I owned that was black!

And now that I am a mom, I guess I've never really thought much about it until now because dd is a pink, purple, blue, pastel-ly kind of girl. I don't think I've ever seen her in anything black except a Halloween costume!

But I guess I don't have anything against it, if she'd like to wear it. Hmmm....never thought of it before now!

Astrid

...I was working at my first job out of college (1984). I wore a lot of black and never thought a thing about it, nor did my mother. But, we had a crotchety older secretary who used to murmer under her breath and to co-workers about what a ho-bag I looked like in all that black. Pity she had no sway over me, the old poop. :glare:

I wear black. My daughters wear black, one more so than the other because it was, for a long time, her "favorite color" (no she's not Goth). But, you do know, don't you, that Green is the New Black? ;)