How Do You Pronounce Nutella

BigMamaBird

How do you pronounce Nutella  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Pronounce Nutella

• Nut - Ella
    • New - Tella
    • Other

Okay, for my whole life I've pronounced it Nut - Ella but I saw a commercial for it the other day and they said it New - Tella.  

I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it tastes like heaven, who cares how you say it.  But, it's driving me nuts that I have been wandering around the Earth saying it wrong for all these years.

So you do you say it?

Okay, for my whole life I've pronounced it Nut - Ella but I saw a commercial for it the other day and they said it New - Tella.

It is an Italian word.

Old thread on the pronunciation

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/309017-how-do-you-pronounce-nutella/

ETA:

My boys pronounce Nutella as Nut-Teller. Asked older boy to pronounce Nutella in German and it does sound like new-tella

I voted "nut ella" because I keep the u short, but I pronounce the /t/ on the front of the second syllable. 

My husband says New tella. That's just wrong, wrong, wrong! I can't believe a commercial for the product would mispronounce it as terribly as my husband does.  The company needs to find a new advertising agency! Ew!  Something that delicious simply can not possibly make anyone say, "Ew."

Our youngest calls it "Tin nella".     

It's supposed to be made with nuts so it's Nut-ella.

This was my thinking, too, but Google says otherwise: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS507US507&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pronounc%20nutella

Nutella® (pronounced â€œnew-tell-uhâ€) is a tasty, unique spread made from the combination of roasted hazelnuts, skim milk and a hint of cocoa.

My kids now say "hazelnewts" instead of "hazelnuts" in protest over people pronouncing it new-tella.  I think the word "nuts" is also headed that way in our household.

To those who prefer to pronounce it classically or Italian or whatnot, can we discuss the word "lingerie"? Because if I pronounce it in French, people tend to be puzzled.  

"Forte" when used in the U.S. outside of music discussions is supposed to have one syllable, but it's pretty much a crapshoot whether anyone says it that way.

I'm sure there are more words that have changed pronunciation.

By the way, the only way I consume Nutella is in Nutella No-Bakes.  Really don't like the stuff otherwise.

I've heard it pronounced new-tella and it has always driven me crazy, because it's made from hazelNUTS. 

However...

http://www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm

What is Nutella® hazelnut spread?

Nutella® (pronounced “new-tell-uhâ€) is a tasty, unique spread made from the combination of roasted hazelnuts, skim milk and a hint of cocoa. Nutella® has no artificial colors or preservatives.

I'm going to have a really hard time adjusting to this.

I pronounce it Nu- tella (short u sound) and have only ever heard it pronounced that way

I believe that's the way Germans say it. Or maybe more like Nou- tella....

Before it was imported to Australia, and around 1983, I was getting parcels of the stuff sent to me by my aunty.

Long term lover here! ;-)

I've only ever heard new-tell-uh from the first time I ate it 20 years ago in Israel.  The other way sounds weird to me.

The stuff is too sweet anyway so I don't talk about it much with anyone.  It is good with cheese on a crepe though.

I've had my fair share of Nutella crepes....and Nutella with banana crepes... but I've never heard of Nutella and cheese crepes.  Are we talking a cream cheese type cheese or something else?  Do tell! :)

I've had my fair share of Nutella crepes....and Nutella with banana crepes... but I've never heard of Nutella and cheese crepes.  Are we talking a cream cheese type cheese or something else?  Do tell! :)

They sell them with cream cheese and grated Edam cheese here.  I can recommend both. :)

The commercial is totally wrong!

(OK, I realize that if it was pronounced Nut-ella, it would be spelled Nuttella, but I can't stand the sound of New-tella.)

I first had it in Germany where my host family called it new-tella so that's what I call it.

This, but with "France" instead of "Germany"! Though when I'm talking to Amuricans, I tend to say Nut-ella instead.

There is definitely confusion abounding here due to some of our dialects having yod-dropping in the word "new" while others do not.

New (nyoo) tella.

The "u" is legitimately long because of the "e" following the "t". It does not mean that we now say pea-nyoot. This is besides the fact that it's an Italian brand name and not an English word.

Hyundai rhymes with Sunday, not hyuhn-da-ee. Chanel is Shannell, not chay-nel, and so on.

My godmother used to call Target "Tar-jay" (soft g) because it's French. 😊

My kids now say "hazelnewts" instead of "hazelnuts" in protest over people pronouncing it new-tella. I think the word "nuts" is also headed that way in our household.

To those who prefer to pronounce it classically or Italian or whatnot, can we discuss the word "lingerie"? Because if I pronounce it in French, people tend to be puzzled.

"Forte" when used in the U.S. outside of music discussions is supposed to have one syllable, but it's pretty much a crapshoot whether anyone says it that way.

I'm sure there are more words that have changed pronunciation.

By the way, the only way I consume Nutella is in Nutella No-Bakes. Really don't like the stuff otherwise.

Hold up. Is there more than one way to pronounce lingerie? Lawn-zhuh-ray .... Right?

Eta: I looked it up and the non-American pronunciation ends in -ree? Woah.

My godmother used to call Target "Tar-jay" (soft g) because it's French. 😊

Huh? Target is not French! :). Not the word or the company. I hear this so often and usually people are serious (perhaps you are just joking though?).

As for nutella, I had it first in Italy so pronounce it the Italian way. I was so excited when I found it in the US, it's a great ingredient. Sudden dinner guests and nothing for dessert? Mix nutella with some crème fraîche or Greek yogurt and call it a mousse - that one has saved me many times. ;)

Other:

Noo -tella.

The original pronounciation.

This is a classical board - you'd think the Latin way of pronouncing an Italian word would be a poll option.

:iagree: 

I was introduced to -- and fell in love with -- Nutella while living in Germany. So I have always pronounced it Noo-tella. 

Nut-ella??? I've never heard that pronunciation. Never would have occurred to me.  :huh:  But as PPs said, if someone offered me Nut-ella I would gratefully accept LOL.