Menu

Another menopause Q just for women: planning

SKL

So ... once you miss your first period, do you wear protection 365 days a year until you know you are really done?  Or, how do you plan to prevent mishaps?  (I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I have nobody I can ask.  My mom had a hysterectomy before menopause.)

Just keep supplies with you. I don't typically spend a great deal of time away from home so it hasn't been much of an issue. If you do spend lots of time in situations where you wouldn't be able to get home if needed, then at least carry a spare pair of underwear with the supplies of choice.

I usually know, plus it doesn't start full force. Mine are still fairly regular, but if I don't keep track (I write down start dates) then I forget, but my body will remind me. I usually keep supplies in my purse anyway. If you're having those, I'm not sure days, you could do light pads or liners. 

I was supposed to start on Dec. 24th or thereabouts.  I was travelling continuously (mostly in less-developed countries) from 12/24 until 1/7.  Plane rides, bus/boat tours, mountain hikes, etc.  I was afraid to go anywhere without full protection, which I ended up not needing.  That's what made me wonder - is this how it's going to be for xx months?  Yuck.

To make it even MORE fun, there were times over the past year when I felt I was starting...woke up with some cramps, etc.  But nothing happened.   Once we were in Chicago and I was SURE I was starting. Took me about half an hour to get to a bathroom. Nothing.   In August we were leading a caravan of 300 Corvettes and I was about 95% sure I had started a period, and we were an hour into a three hour route.  Stopping hundreds of cars to check on that? Embarrassing.  Nothing. 

And then when I did start, we were at a museum and I had NO warning at all. None. I did have supplies with me, in the car. In the parking garage.   But a quarter in a machine saved me. 

You are smart to be thinking ahead about this.  I'm not quite there yet (46; some pre menopausal stuff going on but my cycle is still pretty regular)... but I think when the time comes I'll just keep my moon cup in my bag at all times. 

ETA: Oh, and I'll probably switch to all black undies for a while. ;)

To make it even MORE fun, there were times over the past year when I felt I was starting...woke up with some cramps, etc.  But nothing happened.   Once we were in Chicago and I was SURE I was starting. Took me about half an hour to get to a bathroom. Nothing.   In August we were leading a caravan of 300 Corvettes and I was about 95% sure I had started a period, and we were an hour into a three hour route.  Stopping hundreds of cars to check on that? Embarrassing.  Nothing. 

And then when I did start, we were at a museum and I had NO warning at all. None. I did have supplies with me, in the car. In the parking garage.   But a quarter in a machine saved me. 

Yeah, I have these moments too.

I wear a liner at all times, and I'll whip out a pad ahead of time if there is any chance I will be stuck in such a situations. Drives me nuts. Carrying supplies doesn't factor in all the variables. I am young for this, so even other women won't really know if I need to drop hints that I am inconvenienced and need to make some kind of arrangements in a pinch. 

I guess I'd better add quarters to my list of things to carry at all times, lol!

Cloth pads can be very useful for "just in case".  They are comfy and cute and much cheaper per use than disposables.  Nothing to stick to you, and usually no shifting or bunching.  If you're worried about starting your flow (because you're traveling or in otherwise-challenging circumstances), you can just wear one to be sure, and throw it in the wash with your undies with no fuss afterwards if it wasn't needed.  (A bit of a soak and a cold water wash will do the trick if it did come in handy.)  They also usually fold up nicely for tucking into your bag.  No need to commit to using them exclusively; they are a nice option to mix-and-match with other kinds of protection.  Bonus - they double as minor sneeze leak protection!

If you sew, you can make your own.

These are made with leak-proof PUL fabric:

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/crafts/pads/padspul/padspul.html

These are made with things you may have around the house:

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/crafts/pads/pads.html

So ... once you miss your first period, do you wear protection 365 days a year until you know you are really done?  Or, how do you plan to prevent mishaps?  (I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I have nobody I can ask.  My mom had a hysterectomy before menopause.)

heh heh.

NO!  But I did carry it.  No way would I wear a tampon all the time and I don't like the crinkle or bulk of pads. 

Everybody's mom had a hysterectomy, I think!    Hysterectomies must have been big business, back in the day, though my own mom did have debilitating periods, so it was a godsend for her.   Like you, I had no idea what to expect, but did not stop until my mid-fifties. 

Once the periods get closer together and heavier, they begin to grow farther apart and lighter (in my experience).  So if you missed one, you may have one at the regular time the next month.  I skipped about two periods a year for a couple of years.  Then it will be three or four, and then suddenly, you will notice months have gone by.   The ones you do have will be LIGHT - except of course, if you need them to be light, like when I had my appendix out, and a simultaneous 9 day period from you-know-where (in which I discovered a great use for Depend underwear, when you are in bed).    Your body will overreact in trauma, but generally they will get lighter so you won't have a huge deluge.  Just carry stuff and you will be fine. 

Cloth pads can be very useful for "just in case".  They are comfy and cute and much cheaper per use than disposables.  Nothing to stick to you, and usually no shifting or bunching.  If you're worried about starting your flow (because you're traveling or in otherwise-challenging circumstances), you can just wear one to be sure, and throw it in the wash with your undies with no fuss afterwards if it wasn't needed.  (A bit of a soak and a cold water wash will do the trick if it did come in handy.)  They also usually fold up nicely for tucking into your bag.  No need to commit to using them exclusively; they are a nice option to mix-and-match with other kinds of protection.  Bonus - they double as minor sneeze leak protection!

If you sew, you can make your own.

These are made with leak-proof PUL fabric:

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/crafts/pads/padspul/padspul.html

These are made with things you may have around the house:

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/crafts/pads/pads.html

This.  Regular store bought liners every day would tend to put me more in yeast-infection mode, which can happen more often anyway during perimenopause.  I think I'm slightly reactive to some of the fiber or plastic or something.  I have no problem with the cloth ones, and they can just be tossed in the wash.

I was supposed to start on Dec. 24th or thereabouts. I was travelling continuously (mostly in less-developed countries) from 12/24 until 1/7. Plane rides, bus/boat tours, mountain hikes, etc. I was afraid to go anywhere without full protection, which I ended up not needing. That's what made me wonder - is this how it's going to be for xx months? Yuck.

A menstrual cup would be ideal in a situation like this.

Oh, I see you are regular like clock work.  That may change, heck it's likely to change, but then it will likely change again and again.

I've also enjoy prolonged pms symptoms and find I'm more regular, but often surprised when it hits; there have been plenty of times without pms and just tada :crying: and I'm like you're kidding...already .

:iagree:  Carry necessities with you as a routine.  One thing I miss is the predictably; no more planning things like outings and vacations with any reliable schedule.

I was supposed to start on Dec. 24th or thereabouts.  I was travelling continuously (mostly in less-developed countries) from 12/24 until 1/7.  Plane rides, bus/boat tours, mountain hikes, etc.  I was afraid to go anywhere without full protection, which I ended up not needing.  That's what made me wonder - is this how it's going to be for xx months?  Yuck.

TMI but after 2 rough pregnancies my pipes are leaky and I wear liners for that reason anyway.  So I've got that covered.

It would be difficult otherwise because I tend to spot unpredictably for days before it officially starts.  And at this point I feel like I have my period 25 days out of the month.  Some slight exaggerating there, but it's been a lot sometimes. 

That's how it was for me last month. 46 days late. Peed on a stick on day 41, negative, thought maybe I'd hit the menopause jackpot and for the first time in 14 days, went around without, and bam, the next day. SHEESH!

This month was 31 days this time. No warning either.

So, I think that from about day 25 ish to day 50 I'm just going to have to go around with protection. If I hit 50 days apart and still nothing, I'm going to the OBGYN and telling her I hate my uterus and figure something out. As it was, back at the beginning of November, the calendar indicated that I would get my period just before I left for France and have it mostly over for the trip. Sigh...good...very happy with that. NOW???? Who knows! I'm going to be there for two weeks, leaving on what would now be day 30 so I'm pretty certain that I'm going to be stuck dealing with it while there. GRRRRR....

That's the thing. I'm not miserable or having a lot of issue though some swelling of the uterus due to a few fibroids that at the moment do not need treatment. But, the not knowing how to plan is annoying, the having to wear pads for so many days out of every month is VERY annoying. I don't think it can be helped though.

heh heh.

NO!  But I did carry it.  No way would I wear a tampon all the time and I don't like the crinkle or bulk of pads. 

This is where the cloth pads are nice.  No crinkle, no bunching, and thin ones with a PUL layer are usually more than sufficient for "just in case", so they don't need to be bulky.  

I thought cloth was a crazy idea until I tried it and found out how very much more comfortable it is compared to disposables.  It's like the difference between a nice pair of comfy flannel jammies vs. jammies made of paper and plastic and sticky tape and weird bunchy padding.  

Plus, again, cute fabric!

That's how it was for me last month. 46 days late. Peed on a stick on day 41, negative, thought maybe I'd hit the menopause jackpot and for the first time in 14 days, went around without, and bam, the next day. SHEESH!

This month was 31 days this time. No warning either.

So, I think that from about day 25 ish to day 50 I'm just going to have to go around with protection. If I hit 50 days apart and still nothing, I'm going to the OBGYN and telling her I hate my uterus and figure something out. As it was, back at the beginning of November, the calendar indicated that I would get my period just before I left for France and have it mostly over for the trip. Sigh...good...very happy with that. NOW???? Who knows! I'm going to be there for two weeks, leaving on what would now be day 30 so I'm pretty certain that I'm going to be stuck dealing with it while there. GRRRRR....

That's the thing. I'm not miserable or having a lot of issue though some swelling of the uterus due to a few fibroids that at the moment do not need treatment. But, the not knowing how to plan is annoying, the having to wear pads for so many days out of every month is VERY annoying. I don't think it can be helped though.

For the last four months I've been at about every 16 days. It's a viscous cycle of PMS-flow-PMS-flow-PMS with no good days in between.

All that to say, I have been formulating the "I hate my uterus" speech to my GYN for a while now. If I felt sure she'd agree with an ovary-sparing hysterectomy, I'd have marched in there by now. I'm just not ready to give up the entire hormone factory quite yet.

I have a related question.  If you haven't done something permanent for birth control, do you keep a supply of pregnancy tests at home as there is no birth control that is 100% effective?  I am 48 and my cycles are crazy once in a while.  I have had to take pregnancy tests several times because I wasn't sure why it had been so long. 

I have a related question.  If you haven't done something permanent for birth control, do you keep a supply of pregnancy tests at home as there is no birth control that is 100% effective?  I am 48 and my cycles are crazy once in a while.  I have had to take pregnancy tests several times because I wasn't sure why it had been so long. 

I have a couple in the drawer, but due to the fact that another pregnancy would have killed me, dh had a vasectomy 14 years ago. So, with this kind of distance from the procedure, I tend to feel fairly confident that his tubes are not growing back. But at 46 days a part and knowing I am probably still too young yet to be done, I did a test just for peace of mind.

I have a friend who has not done anything permanent nor has her husband. She has health problems and lives in real fear of getting pregnant again. She has a whole drawer full of tests, and has had a couple of times this year she was really holding her breath. Lots of stress. So, I think they may consider something permanent. She's having a lot of issues so I think she is close to getting a hysterectomy. She developed a blood clot while on the pill, and has elevated blood pressure so I think hormonal treatment is simply not an option.

LOL -- you really don't know.  I used to always know when my period was coming right up until last year even though I'm older than most. I was never 100% predictable, but I always knew a day or two before and it was always within a range of days.  That was easy to plan for.  

Then last year I had a few "faker" ones, all the pre-symptoms and then nothing.  Then a normal cycle the next month.

And now three months of nothing at all.  No symptoms at all of any kind.  I'm getting paranoid about it, so I have a pad in the car, a pad in my college briefcase, and have a pad in my winter coat's inside pocket right now just in case I start at the gym.

Maybe this is it, but maybe not.  I've never been this late other than pregnancy, which I always knew very early on.  No reason to test because I'm over fifty and have zero pregnancy symptoms anyway.

What a time!

Thank you op for asking and WTM sisters for answering.

I have been wondering about this too but was too embarrassed to bring it up.

I had to giggle about wearing black (or dark) underwear.  I have noticed my preference is now toward darks and I seem to be making regular purchases of Shout stain remover.  I also have secret stashes of products in my car, my hiking daypack, my purse, DH's car, my work bag, a pocket in my life jacket (had to grab that one out real quick when I loaned the jacket to a boy scout).

(I can't believe I just put that on the internet.)

Yeah, I tend to have emergency supplies in various places also, but usually not enough to get me through 2 weeks of "who knows when."  LOL.  I packed enough for a normal cycle but still had to buy and borrow.  I guess I will have to change that.

I do use cloth pads at home for backup, and I like them, but I don't see them as practical for traveling.  You know that with my luck, the security people would choose that time to check through my dirty laundry.  No thanks.

I had to giggle about wearing black (or dark) underwear. I have noticed my preference is now toward darks and I seem to be making regular purchases of Shout stain remover. I also have secret stashes of products in my car, my hiking daypack, my purse, DH's car, my work bag, a pocket in my life jacket (had to grab that one out real quick when I loaned the jacket to a boy scout).

But, if women don't complain LOUDLY, medicine will never advance to find us relief.

I have a related question. If you haven't done something permanent for birth control, do you keep a supply of pregnancy tests at home as there is no birth control that is 100% effective? I am 48 and my cycles are crazy once in a while. I have had to take pregnancy tests several times because I wasn't sure why it had been so long.

I probably would not be so relaxed about perimenopause if dh hadn't had the V thirteen years ago!

I just got to thinking.  How can I be planning for menopause when I have Mirena?  My periods did not stop with Mirena; they are just trickles of my former cycles. Hmmm.....

I have about 18 months left until removal and replacement.  I wonder if inserting another one for 5 years will get me through the whole menopause thing.  Then once that is removed!  Bingo, no more periods!!

Is that just wishful thinking?

To be honest, it didn't strike me as a lot different from all the years before.  Because before, it if started (sometimes unexpectedly) I could be caught somewhere with terrible cramps and throwing up.  (But I always always carried supplies.  Cause things weren't always that predictable)

Just -- carry your supplies and have a couple changes of underwear handy.  Usually, you'll catch it soon enough.  I couldn't wear "protection" every day.  I'd get a rash.

The big problem has not been when it starts, but when it ends.  Cause it'll look like it's ended.  Might go a day or two.  And then, with no warning, big time bleeding. And THAT doesn't start slow.  Nor will any feminine products anywhere do anything to stop it, if you're unlucky like some of us.  You just have to find a toilet and sit for an hour or so.

But, if women don't complain LOUDLY, medicine will never advance to find us relief.

Medicine for unpredictability?  I would not be interested in that.  I would worry about what new issues that would create.

More comfortable and convenient products, sure.  Though I really can't complain too much.  I think things have improved a lot over the past 100 years.  :)

Of course I might have a different opinion after a year or two of this ....

To be honest, it didn't strike me as a lot different from all the years before. Because before, it if started (sometimes unexpectedly) I could be caught somewhere with terrible cramps and throwing up. (But I always always carried supplies. Cause things weren't always that predictable)

Just -- carry your supplies and have a couple changes of underwear handy. Usually, you'll catch it soon enough. .

Just reading this I had an aha moment. We end much as we began.

One of the things on my to-do list is to assemble a purse kit for my dd - fresh undies, a little pad, etc - for when the big day arrives. Crazy girl, seems to be looking forward to it...

The big problem has not been when it starts, but when it ends.  Cause it'll look like it's ended.  Might go a day or two.  And then, with no warning, big time bleeding. And THAT doesn't start slow.  Nor will any feminine products anywhere do anything to stop it, if you're unlucky like some of us.  You just have to find a toilet and sit for an hour or so.

:iagree:  I'm rarely jealous, but when I read about ladies with "warning" being normal... it's caused twangs of the green eyed monster.

And this is where school (ps) and travel can get "interesting." :cursing:

But sooner or later, this too shall pass - at least I'm going with that thought!

I'm not stopping my life.  (We might have a better shot at seeing sharks when scuba diving!  Gotta look at the pros... and know what kind of sharks are around I suppose!)

After my sil had her hysterectomy, she couldn't wait to tell all the ladies she knew how really wonderful it was.

I never knew, she kept saying.  This is how the other half LIVES.

No carrying stuff around.  No wondering if it's going to start.  Or not start.

But that solution doesn't interest me at all.  I keep reminding myself that for oodles of years women dealt with this just fine.  This too shall pass - someday!

But that solution doesn't interest me at all. I keep reminding myself that for oodles of years women dealt with this just fine. This too shall pass - someday!

While I agree that there must be a better way than removing a major organ, I disagree with the idea that oodles of women go through it fine. Literature is full of stories about the crazy aunt or grandma that hides out in the attic. I remember when I was a child, I thought my grandmother was insane. She was always sick and the rumor was that it was all in her head. She's a perfectly normal, lovely woman now. I think it was menopause but no one talks about it. Some women are fine; some are not.

TMI but after 2 rough pregnancies my pipes are leaky and I wear liners for that reason anyway.  So I've got that covered.

It would be difficult otherwise because I tend to spot unpredictably for days before it officially starts.  And at this point I feel like I have my period 25 days out of the month.  Some slight exaggerating there, but it's been a lot sometimes. 

This was me, too.  And it seems to be a condition I've passed on to my daughters!  But menopause was easy in comparison.

I can't remember the last time I've seen one of those machines.

I'd overlooked all of them too - often considering them ancient relics.  But there was one in the movie theater restroom when I was surprised.  I was VERY thankful.  And our movie theater is less than 20 years old - maybe closer to 10.  After that I noticed them in many places - haven't needed one since as I stay prepared - but I notice them now.

Thank you for posting this!! I thought I was the only one with weird "endings".  What is up with that?!

This was a big problem for me for several years because I would not have much in the way of warning and then suddenly just start....big time.  I remember walking into a store and thinking "oh, no"  Barely made it to the restroom before a significant wardrobe problem. 

I wore a lot of jeans.  Jean shorts in the warmer months and jeans in the cooler months.  I avoided any light colors...white, cream, khaki...and any fabric that was likely to not absorb.  I agree with other posters who said wearing liners can cause problems.  And they are pretty uncomfortable IMHO.  I did purchase some nice liners from Party in My Pants and used those sometimes.  They were especially nice to have for events I couldn't duck out to get to a restroom if I had to. 

I haven't had a period since the last week of April but I still carry supplies of all types and sizes.  I've been surprised by how many times a friend, or a friend of dd, has asked to borrow something.  I also keep some things in the glove compartment of my car.  I remember years ago, dh couldn't understand why I was packing a change of clothes just to drive 2 hours to visit a museum.  :)

Okay, the one solid piece of advice I can give you is:  drop all expectations.

I'm serious.  I have discovered that part of the reason why I could never get a straight answer out of anyone regarding menopause is that it's different for absolutely everybody.  I have be "peri"menupausal for 8 years and counting, and I still don't know when I will officially cross over into menopause.  It's been dragging on that long for me.

For many women it's over and done with quickly.  For others "it can take years, perhaps as many as 5" I was told.  I'm here to tell you there's no way to tell how long it will take until you are finally finished, and then you still can't be absolutely sure.

During the past 8 years I have had times of unceasing flow -- I'm talking 6 months and longer -- and I have had spells of no period at all for several months to almost a year, too.  I've had fibroids, and pain so bad my OB/GYN started talking hysterectomy (they cleared up and the pain went away just as we were planning to go through with it -- this happened twice).  I've had gushers that would overwhelm the largest pad in minutes, and I've had spotting at any time during the month.  I've had all of the PMS symptoms with a vengeance, too.

I carry.  I know, this sort of conversation might sound like a guns discussion to guys, but I've got the concealed carry thing down.  I know how to sneak a pad into my hand and not have it seen as I discreetly wend to the bathroom yet again at any feeling of dampness.  I keep pads in my purse (much to my teen's relief, when she discovers she forgot to put pads in her own purse), and flushable wipes.  I keep two kinds of pads, though -- period pads, and incontinence pads.  I sneeze hard and loud, and since pregnancy my bladder doesn't seal as tightly as it used to.  I also keep pads in every bathroom in my house, and in my coat pockets, too.

If I am worried, if I know I will have to wait a while for a restroom, or if I have been spotting I will wear a thin pad or liner.  This gives me a little protection in case of the onset of a flow, or something that makes me sneeze or cough.  My assortment of pads in my purse includes a couple of liners (of both kinds), a couple of regular pads (of both kinds), and one behemoth incontinence pad in case of emergencies.

My recommendation on this point: menstrual pads are best for menstruation, and incontinence pads are best for incontinence.  You can use either pad for either issue in a pinch, but having the proper pad for what is occurring will help.  If both flows co-occur I recommend an incontinence pad if you can't change quickly, and a menstrual pad if you can change quickly.  Incontinence pads have a filling that is better able to quickly absorb and hold runny liquid, which you need if you leak.  However, their surface isn't as comfortable to have against you when your flow is flowing, since the thicker blood tends to gum up the surface a bit.  Menstrual pads can catch a leak if you cough or sneeze, but they can't hold as much liquid volume as incontinence pads, and can't sock it away as quickly.  They also can't handle the odor of a leak as well as an incontinence pad, not even the odor-fighting menstrual pads.  They are designed to combat a different odor than urine.  Whichever pad you use, if incontinence is part of what you must deal with don't use pads with wings.  The wings will carry some of the urine to the other side of the panty, and it might stain your pants or skirt. 

I've also faced the problem of not having someone I could talk to about these sort of things.  Because of this, I'm already sharing information and realities with my own girls.  If they ever decide to compare notes with their friends they may find that I have been sharing rather more than other Moms tend to, but I don't want them facing the same frights and issues I faced due to a simple lack of information.

Welcome to the club!

Panty liners every day.

There are times when I will do this.  However, I find myself getting "chapped" down there when I do for too long, so when needed I will go commando during the night and sleep on top of a thick towel.  Lanolin baby wipes (Lansinoh is one brand, but Target and other stores have store brands that are cheaper) also help when things get chapped.

I had to giggle about wearing black (or dark) underwear.  I have noticed my preference is now toward darks and I seem to be making regular purchases of Shout stain remover.  I also have secret stashes of products in my car, my hiking daypack, my purse, DH's car, my work bag, a pocket in my life jacket (had to grab that one out real quick when I loaned the jacket to a boy scout).

Go find my first response on this thread.  I shared even more on the internet!