Menu

Families of 7+, what kind of dining table do you have?

Ewe Mama

We have been eating in shifts for 6 years. I would love to find a nice dining table and chairs/benches set that isn't fancy schmancy and doesn't get scratched up simply by breathing on it. We need something sturdy, country/casual in feel, and affordable. It needs to seat at least 8, but I would love it to have self storing leaves that could extend up to 12 seats.

Any ideas?

Our friends with twelve kids ate from two 6' banquet tables put together ($100 solution) while they saved for a custom table to be made.

Oh, that's a good idea! 

We are about to grow out of our table. I'm looking at farm tables with benches (hand made) and picnic tables. The picnic tables are disappointingly short, though. 

I've asked D to make this one, but so far, it hasn't appeared. http://ana-white.com/2009/11/plan-modern-farmhouse-table-knock-off.html

We have a six-foot table that very comfortably seats 8.  We could (and have) added an extra chair at each end, and it still quite comfortably seats 10.

We bought it at a local furniture outlet store.  It is a nice wooden table, although we've kept it covered from day 1 to protect it.  We keep an ivory colored vinyl cloth on it covered by a machine washable ivory lace cloth.  So, pretty enough to be in our dining room but protected very well!  It's also where we did all of our school work and even our craft projects.

It seems like dining room chairs are so big right now...that's the style.  We didn't like the big ones that went with the table so we opted out.  We ordered a dozen from some online outlet store for a very good price.  They are dark wood too, just like our table, but slender and with cushioned seats.

I've got a 4x4 square table with 4 leaves that extends to up to 4x8 ft, which is very comfortable seating for 8, and can get in 10 comfortably if we use smaller side chairs. If we have 12 and it includes kids, we can put 2 on each end and squeeze in 12, but it's not spacious! In general, we use the table for up to 10, but add a second table if we have more than 10 or 11 adults. 

Our table is an antique, and I know tables that large aren't common. It is awesome. I just spent a bundle to have it refinished and repaired/tweaked so it can last us another generation. :) (It's about 100 years old.)

Our table is 6ft that can expand to 7.5 or 8 (little ledges on both ends can pull out). I picked it up at Goodwill about ten years ago -- I love it because it's both functional, decent looking (basic stained/painted wood) and because I don't stress if it gets scratched since it's from Goodwill and I didn't pay much for it.  We cover it with a table cloth if we want it to look extra nice.  I've seen doors turned into tables and thought that looked pretty cool, too. 

Well, we're a family of six, but my Mom (thankfully) gave us her old gigantic Pottery Barn wooden table that has two different leaves that go in it.  It can seat 10-12.  It's 108 inches long when all the leaves are in.  I looked on their site, and they don't have it anymore...but it's basically a very modern looking one. Kind of like something you'd find at Ikea or Scan Design.  Light colored wood.

I love it with all my heart and soul.  Before we were crowded around a round one... and basically we didn't fit.

We have a square oak table that seats two people on each side. There are only eight of us, tho.

Sounds like our table, only there are only seven of us. It gets tricky when we have company, but we've made it work so far. The space we have for a table really wouldn't be able to handle anything larger, anyway.

Right now we have a teak Scan table that expands to seat 10 comfortably and we can squeeze in another 2-3.  It's very fussy but it was cheap off craigslist.  It works for now.

My hope is to someday get one of these:

http://www.amishtables.com/amish-made-dining-room-tables

that way I can buy more leaves as we add more family members. 

Ours is from World Market, too.  It's the Verona model.  I like it and it fits all 8 of us, but no more.  Also, we use a tablecloth on it because crumbs get into the spaces between the planks!  It didn't occur to me when we bought it but I still like it a lot.  We have a bench on one side and chairs on the ends and three across from the bench even though the picture shows only two.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/mahogany-verona-trestle-table.do?&from=fn  They are having a 25% off sale now!  Check out their other models!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30116264/ This... plus: 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40259040/ Two of these for the kiddies.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10242838/ Two of these for DH and I.

It's a decent price and has held up pretty well. Not exactly what I wanted but it's all I could find in our budget and it works very well for us. 

Our 8 ft table (96x40) seats 8-10, barely enough just for the eight of us. I would have a longer one but that's the max length our dining room can accommodate unless I move a wall or we move to a new house, neither of which is likely anytime in the next 15 yrs. We use this table constantly for computers and schoolwork.

The trick, IMO, is choosing chairs that are not terribly wide.

Eta, if you are on a tight budget, check craigslist periodically.

We don't fit!  I was having some sit at the bar, but it is creating dinnertime chaos.  I got some folding chairs this week, and plan to keep 7 chairs around my table only meant for 6.  I have found some pretty oak tables at some nearby stores, you have to ask if similar styles are available in larger sizes.  THe Amish make them, so places that sell amish-style furniture should be able to order something like that.

BTW< the suggestion for banquet tables is great!

After 20 years of having hand me downs, hubby insisted that we get the nice dining table I had always wanted.  It's from an Amish builder, via a guy in Texarkana whose business is traveling back and forth to Amish country and buying furniture.

We haven't been rough on it, but it has lasted very well, and we really enjoy putting 16 teens at it when we host church things.  It will hold three leaves, and we normally keep it with none. :-)

Worth every penny.

We have the Stornas from Ikea.  It comes in the average family seats 4-6 size, and the "are they all yours?" expands up to 10 size.  The price was right, looks better in person than in the picture, and for this point in our lives where the table takes much abuse, it was a good choice.  We have it set up for 7/8 right now, with the other leaf stored underneath.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152340/

I really want one of the large ones from the Amish furniture store, but that will be several years down the road.  This one will last us until then.

We have what looks like the Keaton Extending Dining Table from Pottery Barn, though ours doesn't extend and we got it used for $200. Dh built a long bench for one side and the other sides have ugly chairs that I hope to replace some day. It is about 90" and will seat 10 people without too much crowding. The wood top is rustic and worn, and very very child friendly. :D

We knew a family of 11 who had a beautiful custom-made round table with a giant lazy susan in the middle. If I had the space I'd love to have one like it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! My dream is to have an Amish-made table, but the sticker shock has me reeling! I know it is worth every penny, but wowzaa! We live about 35 minutes away from Amish country, so I get to dream frequently. :biggrin:

I run into difficulty because our dining room is such an odd shape. It is part of an addition and is just very strangely designed. It houses our laundry room large enough for a side by side washer, dryer, and utility sink behind bifold doors, a pantry, a coat closet, the door to the garage, and a small entry way to our back porch. It is a large room, yet there is a lot going on in it.

I used to have two IKEA tables running lengthwise down the room, but they took up too much space for our daily routine. For special occasions, we made it work , but otherwise, no. I tried them in an L-shape for awhile, but that was a disaster. Maybe I'll have to give it another try as the kiddos are older and more self-sufficient now, so they won't require so much help to move chairs out of the way for tidying up, wiping up spills, etc. the room is comfortable to sit and eat in, but trying to move furniture around for cleaning can get a bit tricky.

For those of you who use benches, we you happy with them? I was thinking of doing benches on one side and chairs on the other, or benches on both side and chairs at the head and foot. What do you think works out best?

Oh, that's a good idea!

We are about to grow out of our table. I'm looking at farm tables with benches (hand made) and picnic tables. The picnic tables are disappointingly short, though.

I've asked D to make this one, but so far, it hasn't appeared. http://ana-white.com/2009/11/plan-modern-farmhouse-table-knock-off.html

I was originally planning to make one of Ana's farmhouse tables, but I ran out of carpentry steam for awhile. I love the one you linked!

Right now we have a teak Scan table that expands to seat 10 comfortably and we can squeeze in another 2-3. It's very fussy but it was cheap off craigslist. It works for now.

I have spent a lot of time on that site, ogling the beautiful tables! Which one is your favorite?

Right now we have a teak Scan table that expands to seat 10 comfortably and we can squeeze in another 2-3.  It's very fussy but it was cheap off craigslist.  It works for now.

My parents had an Amish Traditional Double Pedestal table with the self storing leaves.  I hope to one day get an Amish table as well, although I lean toward the Mission style.  :)

Ours is from World Market, too. It's the Verona model. I like it and it fits all 8 of us, but no more. Also, we use a tablecloth on it because crumbs get into the spaces between the planks! It didn't occur to me when we bought it but I still like it a lot. We have a bench on one side and chairs on the ends and three across from the bench even though the picture shows only two.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/mahogany-verona-trestle-table.do?&from=fn They are having a 25% off sale now! Check out their other models!

I took a peek at the World Market site. I saw one that I kind of like online, the Anya style, but I will have to see if they stock it in their store. The legs might be a little too fussy fru-fru for easy cleaning. I am all about smooth, easy to clean surfaces!

Thanks for the suggestion!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30116264/ This... plus:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40259040/ Two of these for the kiddies.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10242838/ Two of these for DH and I.

It's a decent price and has held up pretty well. Not exactly what I wanted but it's all I could find in our budget and it works very well for us.

That's the kind of set-up we tried originally, only with all chairs. I like your selections better!

Mine is square. I do not recommend a square table for a big family. It's a huge waste of space.

I was wondering about square tables, but had decided against one for us, as our room is too narrow. We are friends with a family of 10. They have a lovely square table that works perfectly for their dining area, but it does seem to allow for a lot of wasted space in the middle. They would have been unable to use any other shape, though.

We have the Stornas from Ikea. It comes in the average family seats 4-6 size, and the "are they all yours?" expands up to 10 size. The price was right, looks better in person than in the picture, and for this point in our lives where the table takes much abuse, it was a good choice. We have it set up for 7/8 right now, with the other leaf stored underneath.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152340/

I really want one of the large ones from the Amish furniture store, but that will be several years down the road. This one will last us until then.

I do like the look of the Stornas. What do you use for seating? Chairs? Benches?

We have what looks like the Keaton Extending Dining Table from Pottery Barn, though ours doesn't extend and we got it used for $200. Dh built a long bench for one side and the other sides have ugly chairs that I hope to replace some day. It is about 90" and will seat 10 people without too much crowding. The wood top is rustic and worn, and very very child friendly. :D

We knew a family of 11 who had a beautiful custom-made round table with a giant lazy susan in the middle. If I had the space I'd love to have one like it.

That sounds perfect, right down to the ugly chairs! We bought 12 stackable bright yellow IKEA chairs several years ago because they would be very easy to clean with a house full of children. I bet my yellow chairs are uglier than your chairs! :D

I have found it pretty easy to find large tables at antique stores.  It seems as if most people do not want such a large table.  Our table currently seats 10 comfortably, and 12 in a pinch, but when all of our children come home we add an extra table on the end.  We moved recently and our new house has a very long dining room, so our plan is to buy one of the Amish tables that can open up to seat at least 20.  

Our dining table is designed to seat 4 without the leaf and 6 with it. However, I have no trouble adding just one more chair to each side in either configuration. Right now the leaf is out and all six chairs fit just fine. With the leaf I can have three chairs on each side for a total of eight. Seating for 7 just doesn't seem like a super-sized, special order situation to me.

Just a funny story about tables.  I'm from a nuclear family of four, with only one uncle on each side of my parents' families--small even when everyone is all together.  My husband is from a family that numbered about 20 when three generations of local folks got together, double that when everyone ended up at grandmas each and every Christmas.  At the smaller gatherings, there was always an adult and a kids' table.  Adults were known to sneak a plate to the kids' table, because that's where all the fun stuff happened.  One aunt was known for teaching the youngsters how to squish jello through their teeth.  :laugh:

We use chairs for seating.  We had a bench on one side with our last table but opted to go with chairs this time around, the kids are happier with the chairs (and none of the adults ever wanted to sit on the bench).  We have 8 of these chairs in the same finish as the table and just keep the extra (2 for now) in the garage.  One reason we liked this set is we could get it in a medium/light finish that went better in our dining room.  Most of the larger tables we found locally were a very dark finish which would have looked great in my mother's formal dining room, not so much in ours.  Plus I did NOT want chairs with upholstered seats since we still have young kids, I need something that can be wiped down after every meal!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10242838/

We have a regular oval shaped table that seats 6 and we just put 2 on each end.  We've been doing that for 8 years and ...  it works.  I have looked at bigger tables but could never decide.  Our table is going strong at about 18 years old.

when we have company we put up folding tables and seat kids separately or put them end to end (in some places w e have lived).

I do like the look of the Stornas. What do you use for seating? Chairs? Benches?

We have the Stornas table too. I love it. I does look prettier in person than in the picture. We put chairs around it. IKEA has chairs and a bench that matched the table.

This conversation made me start thinking about buying the huge Amish made table that we've always thought about getting.  So, some info for you all...  The kind we want will run at least $2000 without the chairs.  AND, Craigslist has loads of Amish made tables in our area.  Now we're rethinking it all.  Even though we haven't found a table on Craigslist that would seat up to 20 we have found many that will seat about 12.  

I only have a family of 5, but my aunt had 12 kids, so a family of 14.  They had a dining room, but they almost never ate there.  They always ate in this tiny breakfast nook, which was a fairly small table with a wrap-around bench, and then there was a little table across the narrow walk-through that sat two more.  I have no idea how they all fit, and that was far from ideal, but it makes me think benches are a good solution when there's a lot of people... :lol:

They also lived in what was officially a 2-bedroom house.  They had a dorm-style setup in the basement, there was another tiny room off the main basement, two kids slept in play houses outside (warm climate), and a kid slept on a shelf over the clothes in a closet.  Sorry, I'm getting OT... :tongue_smilie: