Menu

Baby Girl Name Opinions!

justme824

I'm due to have a baby girl sometime in the next two weeks and I cannot for the life of me decide on a name. I thought naming a girl after two boys would be easy, but nope!

Right now I am considering these two names:

Lila Brooke

Brooke ??? (leaning towards Abigail or Eleanor - If I go this way I know I want a three syllable middle name, preferably beginning with a vowel, but not Elizabeth)

My issue with Lila is that I feel it might be a tad too popular, and I prefer not to go that direction. I personally do not know anybody with that name, so this is based on my research only. I've only ever heard the name in public once, and have seen it surface online twice, so I'm not sure how popular it really is. I wonder if it is more that names similar too Lila are popular (Lily, example). However, I keep circling back to this name for some reason.

I do really like Brooke as well. It was on our list of girl names before we found out our first two were boys.

My preference has always been for one syllable first names to avoid nicknames, but I think we'd be safe from a nickname with Lila, even with two syllables.

I'll probably leave both on the table, but I'd love some opinions on these two names.

I like all of your options, but I think I favor Lila Brooke the most.  It is very pretty!  I don't know of any girls with the name Lila around here (I have two daughters so we know many girls), but perhaps it is more popular with younger ones?  I don't know, but I think it is a lovely name and would choose that if you find yourself constantly drawn to it.   :001_smile:

ETA:  I don't currently know any girls with the name, but I'm very familiar with it and am surprised to hear several people say that they've never heard it before!!  I know of several "older" people with that name.  It is classic and beautiful and not overly popular like several of the "returning classics" like Emma and Ella, etc.  I also never considered that it could be mispronounced.  There is only one pronunciation of it in my mind.  

I like the name "Laila" (also spelled "Leila", and pronounced differently).  It is a beautiful name of Arabic origin.  I have not seen the spelling "Lila", and probably would think it a mistype. 

Not drawn to the name "Brooke" because I prefer names that are not usable by both boys and girls.  In fact, I have heard the name used more for boys than for girls.  Others, living elsewhere, may have experienced the reverse.  

Congratulations on your baby!

I've been a member here for years, but this is my first post. :-)

I really like Lila. I've never heard or seen it before. It's very feminine and pretty. I prefer it to Brooke, because there are a million Brooke's, male and female. She'd probably be the only Lila in her entire school.

I know quite a few Lila's...it's popular in Australia but if you love it..use it. Lila Brooke is very pretty...Brooke is kind of 80's to me.

Two of my kids have super common names .... who cares really. Lila is classic so it won't be dated like a Mckayla or Jayden. To me that is more important then popularity.

I'm due to have a baby girl sometime in the next two weeks and I cannot for the life of me decide on a name. I thought naming a girl after two boys would be easy, but nope!

Right now I am considering these two names:

Lila Brooke

Brooke ??? (leaning towards Abigail or Eleanor - If I go this way I know I want a three syllable middle name, preferably beginning with a vowel, but not Elizabeth)

My issue with Lila is that I feel it might be a tad too popular, and I prefer not to go that direction. I personally do not know anybody with that name, so this is based on my research only. I've only ever heard the name in public once, and have seen it surface online twice, so I'm not sure how popular it really is. I wonder if it is more that names similar too Lila are popular (Lily, example). However, I keep circling back to this name for some reason.

I do really like Brooke as well. It was on our list of girl names before we found out our first two were boys.

My preference has always been for one syllable first names to avoid nicknames, but I think we'd be safe from a nickname with Lila, even with two syllables.

I'll probably leave both on the table, but I'd love some opinions on these two names.

I haven't read responses....

Lila - It's near the 200th mark in names used in 2013 in the USA, so I don't think that is too popular.

I'd be more concerned about pronunciation. Is it LEE-lah or LIE-lah? Either way, I could see people just calling her Li with either pronunciation.

I like Lila, but I think I would spell it Lyla.  Lyla Brooke is pretty, but in case you might have another girl, you might want to save Brooke.  As someone else mentioned, I'm not fond of names that are neutral gender, so Brooke wouldn't be my first choice.  Have you thought of Lydia?  Lydia Brooke is pretty - 3 syllables and then 1 syllable.  I like Abigail or Allison, both very feminine. 

I know more Brookes than Lilas. Especially with Brooklyns who are now called Brook/Brooke.

I personally adore Lila. I used it myself. ;) I've met two who are younger than her and one who was in her early 20s. Mine is Lila Evangeline. We do have people call her Lill-a, Leela, and Layla before landing on Lie-la though. 

Lila was not in the top 1000 names (US) between 1983 and 1997.  In 1998 it appeared on the top 1000 list at #929, and then rose fairly steadily until hitting its peak at #155 in 2010.  Since then, it's been falling a few places each year.

The pretty quick rise means that it's a name that will probably be a bit "dated" to this decade, but that will be less of an issue if it continues its slow fall, more if it drops off suddenly.  However, my oldest's name is just a bit higher in the charts than Lila, and meeting someone who shares her name is infrequent enough that she gets really excited about it when it happens.  So I wouldn't worry about every other girl being named Lila.  

Lily, on the other hand, is #27 on the 2013 list after being in the top 20 for the previous four years.  I'd think a Lila would end up being called Lily pretty frequently, by people who see her name but don't look at it carefully.  But people who hear it won't have that issue since the initial vowel sound is different.  (My oldest's name works the opposite way - people mishear her name as a similar one, but they don't generally misread it.)

I like Lila a lot and had it on our name list during one of my pregnancies - can't remember why we crossed it off the list.  Brooke is not my favorite, but Lila Brooke does flow nicely.

Well, I'm biased because I have a sweet little Lila Grace, 2 years old. I love the name and when I tell people her name, the reaction is usually "awe, that's beautiful". All smiles.

A few people have mispronounced it, saying Lee-la. But not enough to bother me. I think most people know how to pronounce if.

I think both names are lovely. Congratulations on your daughter!

Three syllable names beginning with a vowel, and which aren't Elizabeth:

Brooke Isabelle

Brooke Emerson

Brooke Olivia

Brooke Analise

Lila Evangeline has one too many syllables for you, but I love that combination!

I like Brooke Elizabeth, but Brooke Abigail is nice too. I personally wouldn't go with Lila because of how many times she'd have to spell her name in the future because of how different it is, but I guess that could come with Brooke too.

She'd be spelling her name all the time anyway with that e at the end of Brooke.

Thank you everyone! I am 90% sure I'm going with Lila at this point (my two boys will be thrilled since both of them voted for this name weeks ago!), but now I keep wondering if I want Brooke to be the middle name. It is our last baby, so I don't need to save Brooke for the future.

Naming babies is hard work :)

I have a Lila.  She was born in 2008.  We definitely run into other Lilas but not too many. 

Spelling not really an issue.  I think it would be if we spelled any way other than "Lila".  I thought it should be "Lilah" but my dh disagreed and I am glad we went with "Lila".  It seems to be the most commonly accepted spelling.  In fact, there was a girl with another spelling in dance with Lila and I did hear people distinguish by calling the other girl  the "weird spelled Lila".  And when I do spell it, it is short :) The issue with the name, and one that doesn't bother me, is that similarity with other more popular names.  She is frequently called Lilly or Layla.  This really doesn't bug me but it could someone that was sensitive about names.

I have always tried to steer away from popular/trendy names but the popularity of Lila hasn't bothered me. 

I hear on you on difficult girl names -- we only ever had one girl name, and it was easy and obvious.  We used it.  We never have agreed on a second girl name.

I love Lila Brooke, and I think it's not too popular, although I have heard of a few Lilas/Lilahs in the past few years.

I also love Brooke Abigail (I love Abigail; it is one of my two top choices if we ever have another girl), and Brooke Eleanor is pretty too.

We like Lila Brooke.

I'd be more concerned that Lila would be mispronounced than misspelled.  Around here, it would be pronounced Leela

For a middle name, how about Brooke Elliot.

I have a friend (a woman) named Michael, and she and her husband named their daughter Elliot.  I think they just like strong names.   No one will ever be able to discriminate on either of them based solely on their names.  

I have a Nyla so when I hear Lila I notice it. I've heard the name a few times over the years at playgrounds or wherever mother's call their children but it's not common. I like the name Lila.

If you're worried about mispronunciation consider spelling it Lyla. Lola would be another option. Sometimes when I read Charlie and Lola I wonder if I should chosen that.