Menu

Why does low-carb work so well for weight loss? Isn't there another way?

LarlaB

I'm so annoyed. Why does eating LC work so well for me for weight loss, but basic watching calories doesn't do a thing?  

I ate LCHF for 18 months, lost 25lbs and maintained it with consistent effort.  I learned a lot about LCHF, ketosis and what it took for my body to release fat.  I had to stick to a pretty strict diet of 1500-1700 calories and less than 50g of carbs to keep up w/ weight loss- it feels like my body hates carbs.  

Due to a knee injury that resulted in 6 months no exercise and finally knee surgery on July 1st, I gained back 10-12 pounds.  I also found out I have Celiac Disease last year, so it helped me see that not all carbs are 'evil', it was the gluten that was making me sick. 

Anyway-  I want my old clothes to fit.  I KNOW eating LCHF will take the pounds off, but I don't want to eat that way anymore. I'm burned out on food being such a job.  With Celiac Disease most of my food effort is being super strict w/ avoiding all gluten, but I would really just like to ease up on the strict eating!!  I want to be able to be more moderate and normalized in my approach to food.  

My frustration is that I have been eating moderate carb around 100-150g, closely tracking calories/portions and adding back real exercise for 4 weeks now and haven't lost a pound.  The numbers don't add up!  No inches, nothing.  My 'small' pants are just as snug, although yes I see more muscle definition but com'n!!!!    I'm in the 'I'm doing everything right but its not working' category. Grrrrrr

Any suggestions, tips or advice?  

I'm firmly in the nutritarian camp.  It just seems to make a lot more sense to me to eat nutrients rather than avoid a large portion of them.  And I believe we're supposed to eat a lot of plants.  We *could* eat animal products but should do so in moderation. 

Anyway, maybe watch a few documentaries like Forks Over Knives (probably some huge debate thread I missed about that one) and check out a few gurus (Fuhrman, McDougall, etc).  Dr. Garth Davis has an interesting FaceBook page.  

Anyway, I know LCHF and Paleo.  I just think that plant based diets are healthier.  And it allows you to release the weight too :)

Check out the 5:2 thought toward eating -- fasting two days a week (and by "fasting" it means 500 or so calories).  You eat normally (not "make up for it" normal!) on the other five days.  It has a LOT of health benefits, one of which is losing weight.  Calling it "5:2 diet" is new, but eating like this is a very ancient practice.  I, too, can't be constantly low-carb, although I do understand why it works. The book I read is called The Fast Diet.

There was a study done in the UK (I think) that showed doing LC (under 50 grams) two days per week lead to substantial changes in blood sugar as well as weight.  My take away is that even if you can't do it 100% of the time, many people can do two days per week and still benefit. 

Edited to Add: I believe the reason they even tested this was because of intermittent fasting (5:2).  

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/weight-loss-plan-2-day-diet

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45587821/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/cutting-carbs-just-days-week-can-spur-weight-loss/

"One third of the women were put on a Mediterranean-type diet that restricted calories to about 1,500 per day. A second group was told to eat normally most of the time, but two days a week to cut carbs and also calories to about 650 on those two days. The third group was also to cut carbs two days a week, but there was no calorie restriction on those days.

At the end of four weeks women in both of the intermittent dieting groups had lost more weight — about 9 pounds — than the women who ate low calorie meals every day of the week — about 5 pounds.

Women in the intermittent dieting groups also had better improvement than daily dieters in the levels of hormones — insulin and leptin — that have been linked with breast cancer risk, Harvie said."

Check out the 5:2 thought toward eating -- fasting two days a week (and by "fasting" it means 500 or so calories).  You eat normally (not "make up for it" normal!) on the other five days.  It has a LOT of health benefits, one of which is losing weight.  Calling it "5:2 diet" is new, but eating like this is a very ancient practice.  I, too, can't be constantly low-carb, although I do understand why it works. The book I read is called The Fast Diet.

I've been eating 5:2 for eighteen months.  I lost thirteen pounds gradually over the first year and am maintaining now.  I put on a pound when I went off the programme on holiday, and another pound when I was ill, but the extra weight is falling off now that I am back into my normal routine.  

I find the rhythm pleasing and easy to maintain.  It doesn't involve any very special cooking: on '2' nights I cook a lean protein and lots of steamed veg (all of which I eat) then a good-fat-heavy carbohydrate for my boys.

L

I hear you sister! LC is really the only thing that works for me, and I just fell off the low carb wagon once again! I hate it. I hate eggs, so South Beach phase 1 is even more limited. And I like to cook and I do just want to eat. I hate food being such an issue all. the. time. But, I did try counting calories for a while, didn't work. I actually gained weight. I have no advice. Just sympathy.

I lost 40lbs doing the LC thing, but it made me nauseous. Sure, when you feel ill you eat less, but it's no fun to live that way. I had the same experience no matter what flavor of LC I did (South Beach, Primal/Paleo, Eat fat Lose Fat, etc). There's just no way I could talk myself into eating that way again so I get how you're feeling.

In January, I decided to go vegetarian and transitioned to near vegan. I also cut out a large percentage of the oils I use when I cook. I'm not super strict - I will flex when we go out to eat or may add some oil when I'm baking - but it works for me. I've lost 28lbs this year and am about 5lbs away from what I weighed before my oldest was born. I do tend to plateau a bit more along the way by doing this, but I figure being able to maintain the weight I have lost is a good thing.

I'm sure it would go faster if I picked some kind of crash diet or were even more strict about eliminating oils and didn't flex. On the other hand, my adherence would probably be worse. If I exercise I tend to lose a bit faster. If I flex less I lose more. As the year has gone on, I've avoided dairy more and that helps quite a bit (dairy can be very calorie dense). I also cut down even more on refined sugar, though I eat quite a bit of fruit. I find most everything (diet soda, fancy coffee drinks, ice cream, desserts, etc) way too sweet these days so if I have dessert, it's a small portion or something I've made myself.

I've counted calories very carefully in the past (meaning a scale and everything) and it mostly drove me crazy. It did give me a better feel for how small some serving sizes were.

The thing is, though, what I'm doing is working for me and I can stick with this for the rest of my life. Above all, I think, that has to be true for you. If you can't imagine yourself eating some particular way for the rest of your life, then it's time to find one that you could. It probably won't be instantaneous, though.

it's how the body processes it.

I cut sugar (including high sugar fruits.), that includes fake sugar.  (I don't do fake food at all.  eg: I use butter, not margarine.)

I'm losing weight without being hungry.  oh yeah - sugar messes with the brain's ability to register satiation.  iow: you eat more.

years ago I did no sugar - I didn't eat bread, because it had sugar (I did eat pasta), I didn't eat milk because it had lactose, I didn't eat fruit because it has fructose.  I ate as much as I wanted, didn't count calories, just made sure the food met my criteria.  the weight melted off. I had TONS of energy, and I was in better shape than I had been in high school.  I felt fabulous. I kinda wonder if I am gluten intolerant as I wasn't eating any kind of bread - but pasta supposedly has gluten.

I want something I can live with for the long haul.  I am currently only eating a high protein multi-grain bread (the very rare any other kind), non-fat greek yogurt (I wanted the probiotics), and mostly berries for fruit - but other kinds too.  and lots of veggies.  trying to make sure I get protein.  the weight is steadily coming off.  I feel good too.  I have a health issue so I see my dr regularly. she wanted to know what I gave up. she was very please how this is working for me.

I also do yoga (it will build muscle) and walk.

eta: fake food.  since thinking about it (and having been raised on it and the health problems my family had) I've not been fond of it.  since dd did research in college about tinkering with molecules to deceive the body as to what they were - I'm even more opposed to fake food.

(she was doing NIH research on potential cancer drugs.)

I'm vegan & definitely not low carb & I lost over 25 lbs in 2 yrs without really trying.

I think the issue with carbs is that they're very calorie dense. In terms of cal/g it goes fat, carb, protein.

It's easy to overeat on starchy carbs & take in way too many calories. If you stick to veg, lentils, beans & eat bread/pasta/baked prod in moderation, you can still have the majority of your cals from carb & be very healthy & losing weight.

I'm old :) and have been overweight my whole life. I started LCHF in June on advice from dr when I complained about not being able to lose weight. It was hard the first month....I felt yucky which if attribute to the withdrawal of sugar.

Now my diet consists of eggs, salads, veggies, berries, meat, fat, etc. I eat a lot of veggies...I think a lot of people think LC means no veggies or fruit. I do limit fruit but usually eat berries most days. An apple here and there. Dark chocolate most days and even a glass of wine for dinner often.

The reason it works for me I believe is the addition of fat (which someone on this board suggested). I do not have cravings and am never hungry. This is sustainable I believe. And I'm of German decent (aka bread and sweets are in my genes ect.) and I love to bake and cook. (Here's a funny. When my dr said eat no carbs for six weeks I shrieked "no carbs! But I'm German! ". Followed by "what about a glass of wine with dinner?" I also asked what happens after six weeks. He told me I'd love the diet and want to continue. So far I concur.)

Who know how long this will work but I've lost 25 pounds...I have more to go....and I feel better.

The high fat thing was tricky for me to wrap around my brain....I watched FatHead documentary and have watched Dr Timothy Noakes (recommended by my dr) on YouTube for some information.

One day at a time. I live under a lot of stress so I know staying on the wagon isn't always easy.

I really recommend reading Dr David Katz who is at the Yale University School of Medicine & offers evidence based advice.

This is his recent article about the low-carb v low-fat stuff going around the past couple weeks
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140902121017-23027997-diet-research-stuck-in-the-stone-age

The videoblog on the same topic http://www.vidoyen.com/questions/low-carb-versus-low-fat-is-there-really-a-winner/answers/david-l-katz-m-d-m-p-h?utm_content=buffer48e3d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I like him because he really tries to focus on evidence and I enjoy how irritated he gets with a lot of the media coverage - which is just designed to click bait &/or sell books by yet another author....

One of his best recent columns is this one:

Knowing What to Eat, Refusing to Swallow It

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140702184601-23027997-knowing-what-to-eat-refusing-to-swallow-it?trk=mp-reader-card

The data is actually quite clear. There isn't a lot of controversy among people who seriously study this topic. We just need to heed the evidence. :) THAT's the hard part.

The problem is it varies soooo much from person to person.  At one point I was a healthy and ideal weight as a dairy free vegetarian who ate tons of bread and cookies.  Then one day I just couldn't lose weight after my baby.  I've tried everything.  It seems entirely random.  Sometimes I'll lose weight eating tons of whatever I want and gain weight when I eat healthy and lower amounts of food. When I eat tons of carbs my arthritis gets better.  When I eat lower carb and more primal, I feel leaner and less bloated.  It's a trade off.  I think at this point my body is conspiring against me.  :glare:   

So I would work with what helps you and makes you feel good.  What works for other people may not work for you now or a year from now, or ever. And if you find a magic pill, let me know. :p  And now I'm insatiably curious as to what an average day is like with all of these diets!

The reason low-carb works so well, IMO, is that people HAVE to eat something to replace the carbs, so they tend to have more veggies.  Well, having more veggies is good for *anyone*, low-carb or not, because they are very filling and have fiber.  For me, it's a matter of eating the best I can of each food group, not eliminating or nearly eliminating a food group.  So I eat carbs, but not crap carbs.  I eat fats, but GOOD fats.  Very little white flour stuff and a lot of good grains like quinoa.  I also work out regularly because I cannot lose weight if I don't.  But that's the way it should be, too, IMO.  lol

Going on any "diet" can be helpful in the beginning because one is so much more conscious of what they are taking into their body.  I had no idea the sheer number of calories from carbs that I was eating until I started a food diary.  So yes, counting calories does work, but only if you are taking care that the calories aren't crap calories.  :P

Sometimes I get frustrated that high fat, low carb, minimal dairy is the only thing that works for me. But mostly, I get MORE upset at the suggestions that some form of "moderation" will work is I just do it right.

I used to be an ethical and health vegetarian: this worked until it didn't for my body anymore.

And regular low carb worked (including full fat dairy) until it didn't work.

WW never worked for me: I was a miserable shaking yelling mess and never lost weight even while compliant.

And Whole 30 "worked" until I was told that 3 meals is the pure program.

I am nearly 50, female, multipara, and I know what works and what doesn't.

Tonight I am going to a Brazilian Grill. Tomorrow I start a diet in preparation for a challenge I have sought and accepted. I am hiring a fitness professional who is "moderate carb, low fat" and I am trying to wrap words around how to talk to her about my meal plan needs.

I was on a low carb diet for a limited period of time some years ago and I could not believe how quickly and easily I lost weight.  I looked great.  However, it also made me exceptionally irritable.  

Fortunately, counting calories also seems to work reasonably well for me.  It's not as effective as low-carb, but at least I don't feel like I have permanent PMS.  Kinda hungry, yes, but not so cranky.  

I am intrigued by the 5:2 approach mentioned above. I am not overweight and am not looking to lose a lot of weight, but that sounds like something I could do.  

When I do really low carb I feel like garbage.  I have no energy, I get shaky and I have a fuzzy brain.  I am also not a big meat eater, so I feel sick on that much meat.

And no, it isn't "detox" as I don't eat all that much sugar or junk to begin with.  

I did better as a Vegan, or almost Vegan in terms of energy and feeling fantastic, but I didn't lose much weight.

Honestly, the only thing that has worked for me is counting calories and I HATE it, but I am getting ready to go back to it......weighing/measuring/accuracy.

When I do really low carb I feel like garbage. I have no energy, I get shaky and I have a fuzzy brain. I am also not a big meat eater, so I feel sick on that much meat.

And no, it isn't "detox" as I don't eat all that much sugar or junk to begin with.

I did better as a Vegan, or almost Vegan in terms of energy and feeling fantastic, but I didn't lose much weight.

Honestly, the only thing that has worked for me is counting calories and I HATE it, but I am getting ready to go back to it......weighing/measuring/accuracy.

Switch "counting calories" or "plant based" for low carb in your post and it would be me.

Honestly, for ME, if I ate 1700 calories per day I would gain weight.

Menopause is not my friend. :glare:

I have to be strict, strict, strict with my calorie intake. I eat vegetarian because I don't even like meat, and I still count calories. It sucks. But, that's how it is for me. Either I can accept it or I can deny the facts and gain weight.

Thank you for the responses- especially those who have found themselves in the same camp of "LC is the only thing that helps me lose weight!"  It helps me feel a bit more normal.  I'm 38 and maybe my body is just starting to change....sigh.  The 'rules' don't seem to apply like they used too!

RE LC, well I feel terrible for the first week on LCHF until I get into ketosis and then I steadily lose 1lb+ per week, feel fantastic and have very little appetite.   I KNOW the drill- I just think that since I was diagnosed Celiac, the 'fun' went out of even more food rules and I'm just sick of thinking about it. 

I feel resigned that I should just get it over with-  being fluffier is worse than eating meat, butter & veggies.  :) LOL  My best bet to not waste more willpower is just go back on LCHF until December, lose the 10lbs, get back comfortably into my clothes and then work on finding what CAN work to maintain. 

Switch "counting calories" or "plant based" for low carb in your post and it would be me.

I don't think she was respondng to you specifically, but sharing how it worked for her. I understand that it works for you, but like DawnM, I feel physically ill well past the standard "detox" window to where it isn't an issue of detoxing, but how one's body handles that sort of reduction.

I also think it threads like these the tendency is for a number of very fervent LC believers to present LC as *the only way* and as if the science is so unbelievably settled that everyone else is wrong.

The thing is...the really settled scientific answer is adherence. What's important is not necessarily how you choose to maintain a healthy weight, but that you do and that you do so in such a way that you can stick with for the rest of your life. It works for you? Go for it!

If it doesn't? It's ok to do something else or several other something elses.

ETA - Ooops lost the quote: from GinaPagnato "Honestly, for ME, if I ate 1700 calories per day I would gain weight."

Yup, if I work out I can maintain at around 1750-1800 cals/day. That's not a lot of food. 

Most convenience foods, restaurant meals & some of the recipes posted here - I could eat close to that in one meal.

I know that with every passing year I have to shave that down a bit &/or increase exercise just to stay in the same place. As we age, our metabolism slows down. Exercising, building muscle mass helps alleviate that but if you're not losing weight, or are actually gaining weight,  keep a strict food journal (weigh your food so you know how much you're eating exactly), add up your calories and then cut that by a couple hundred cals. 1400 cal deficit per week is not fast weight loss though so you have to be patient (most stuff says 3500 cal deficit/week = ~ 1 lb loss) 

If you're still not seeing movement, cut it by a couple hundred cals more. I believe in small, incremental, manageable change. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle choice that you'll follow for the rest of your (hopefully long, active & healthy) life.

"Real food, mostly plants, not too much."  (Michael Pollan) 

Honestly, for ME, if I ate 1700 calories per day I would gain weight.

Menopause is not my friend. :glare:

I have to be strict, strict, strict with my calorie intake. I eat vegetarian because I don't even like meat, and I still count calories. It sucks. But, that's how it is for me. Either I can accept it or I can deny the facts and gain weight.

Thank you for the honesty.  My husband just gave me a similar speech- I can fuss all day long at how its 'not working' and gain weight, or simply choose to work with what I've got!

I've had a smidge of denial and body anger this past year---- Celiac Disease, knee surgery and now a fluffier physique. Sigh.

I don't think she was respondng to you specifically, but sharing how it worked for her. I understand that it works for you, but like DawnM, I feel physically ill well past the standard "detox" window to where it isn't an issue of detoxing, but how one's body handles that sort of reduction.

I also think it threads like these the tendency is for a number of very fervent LC believers to present LC as *the only way* and as if the science is so unbelievably settled that everyone else is wrong.

The thing is...the really settled scientific answer is adherence. What's important is not necessarily how you choose to maintain a healthy weight, but that you do and that you do so in such a way that you can stick with for the rest of your life. It works for you? Go for it!

If it doesn't? It's ok to do something else or several other something elses.

I wasn't arguing. The post I quoted wasn't personal or an issue. I was using her content and experience to reinforce the reality in this thread that everyone's body is different.

I feel resigned that I should just get it over with- .

Be thankful that you already know what to do. Before you start, maybe spend some time planning it out, meals and such (look for new "recipes" or simple combinations you can have with whatever the family is having? Something new to you and more interesting?) and make sure your kitchen is well-stocked with your special essentials. Don't forget broth or electrolyte supplements if you tend to need those. Prepare the path as smoothly as you can. You know it'll be ok, more than ok once you get back in the habit.

My downfall is still the chocolate chip bag from Costco (stress reliever). If I have alternatives around that I can have without thinking, that works better.

If you need to build more motivation, re-read Volek and Phinney (didn't you point me to their books?)

ETA - Ooops lost the quote: from GinaPagnato "Honestly, for ME, if I ate 1700 calories per day I would gain weight."

Yup, if I work out I can maintain at around 1750-1800 cals/day. That's not a lot of food. 

Most convenience foods, restaurant meals & some of the recipes posted here - I could eat close to that in one meal.

I know that with every passing year I have to shave that down a bit &/or increase exercise just to stay in the same place. As we age, our metabolism slows down. Exercising, building muscle mass helps alleviate that but if you're not losing weight, or are actually gaining weight,  keep a strict food journal (weigh your food so you know how much you're eating exactly), add up your calories and then cut that by a couple hundred cals. 1400 cal deficit per week is not fast weight loss though so you have to be patient (most stuff says 3500 cal deficit/week = ~ 1 lb loss) 

If you're still not seeing movement, cut it by a couple hundred cals more. I believe in small, incremental, manageable change. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle choice that you'll follow for the rest of your (hopefully long, active & healthy) life.

"Real food, mostly plants, not too much."  (Michael Pollan) 

No joke- its NOT a lot of food- I'm 5' 11", 158lbs and well, no its not a lot of food!!!  LOL  I work out 3-4x a week, pretty hard so that offsets what may seem to some as 'high' calories.  

Actually, I just checked on myfitnesspal (I've logged in for 42 days in a row) and my 30 day net calorie average is actually just over 1500 calories (myfitnesspal deducts calories burned via exercise), so I'm definitely not over-eating.  

And yes, I'm logging EVERYTHING- I learned a lot time ago that if I don't record every bite I'm just cheating myself.  So my point is more that I know what I've been doing & eating these last 4 weeks and am so frustrated that 'move more/eat less' doesn't seem to work anymore. 

Be thankful that you already know what to do. Before you start, maybe spend some time planning it out, meals and such (look for new "recipes" or simple combinations you can have with whatever the family is having? Something new to you and more interesting?) and make sure your kitchen is well-stocked with your special essentials. Don't forget broth or electrolyte supplements if you tend to need those. Prepare the path as smoothly as you can. You know it'll be ok, more than ok once you get back in the habit.

My downfall is still the chocolate chip bag from Costco (stress reliever). If I have alternatives around that I can have without thinking, that works better.

If you need to build more motivation, re-read Volek and Phinney (didn't you point me to their books?)

Oh wow- you're in my head!  I  just said that to my DH this morning..."at least I know what WILL work and exactly how to do it".  :)  You're right. 

Great suggestions on finding new recipes and making a meal plan.  I got in a rut w/ the same basic foods all.of.the.time...and need to find some new flavors. I love veggies so that part isn't hard, I just am sick of the same things, especially when we eat out- there are so few things I can safely eat being GF.

And yes- I do love Volek & Phinney :) They changed my 1/2 marathon racing forever!

I need to make peace with the fact that any kind of weight loss effort is restrictive....and instead of 'try it an hope" I need to be thankful for something that I know works, and just get it done!  

I seem to be the only person on earth who does not lose weight LC, which leads me to believe individual chemistry must be at play in some way. I have followed the sort of Michael Pollan school of thought. I pretty much avoid anything " processed". I mostly eat fruits and vegetables. A lot of them! I have fish or unprocessed meats. I have brown rice or quinoa or barley if I want but mostly keep breads or sweets to one "special" meal a week. This means I can eat a lot, it's not hard to find something to eat, no fussy ingredients and my whole family can eat the same foods. Today we've had scrambled eggs and strawberries for breakfast, a roast chicken, cauliflower, carrots and salad with baked apples for dessert for lunch. For dinner I'm having portobello pizzas and the kids and dh are having English muffin pizzas. We've got broiled pineapple spears. Popcorn for a snack if anyone wants.

No joke- its NOT a lot of food- I'm 5' 11", 158lbs and well, no its not a lot of food!!!  LOL  I work out 3-4x a week, pretty hard so that offsets what may seem to some as 'high' calories.  

Actually, I just checked on myfitnesspal (I've logged in for 42 days in a row) and my 30 day net calorie average is actually just over 1500 calories (myfitnesspal deducts calories burned via exercise), so I'm definitely not over-eating.  

And yes, I'm logging EVERYTHING- I learned a lot time ago that if I don't record every bite I'm just cheating myself.  So my point is more that I know what I've been doing & eating these last 4 weeks and am so frustrated that 'move more/eat less' doesn't seem to work anymore. 

Fall/WInter is alway tougher for me. I swear my body thinks it has to lay down an insulation layer.

Maybe add more resistance muscle work? What about leaving the weight alone & just converting to muscle?  (there's a new place near me which apparently does body fat % testing without the water dip thing. I'm going to find out how much it is because I'm really interested. My bmi is at low end but I want to change my muscle/fat ratio)

I also think there occasionally are these natural resistance levels (what did people call them? Set points?) where the body doesn't want to budge but if we just keep at it & be more stubborn than the body, things start moving again....  Also, maybe are you fighting off an illness? Something viral or bacterial that's mild but lingering?

And hormones screw up everything. :glare:

GL! You're not alone!

The short answer:

Carbs cause your blood sugar to go up, which causes insulin to be released.  Insulin, along with lowering blood sugar, promotes fat storage.  So more carbs=more insulin=more body fat.

Dietary fats and proteins don't cause the same spikes in blood sugar, so you have less insulin floating around, so your body doesn't store fat.  If you eat few enough calories, your body will start to burn excess body fat.

It's all about hormones, although calories matter too. 

I believe so much I low carb and I so admire the late Dr. Atkins. He was a man way ahead of his time.

That said, I still struggle with getting back in the groove. My body fights me and I get weak and have terrible headaches long after I think I should be done suffering from the "Atkins flu". Then I eat something carby to feel better and I give up.

Look into the "No S" diet. It is so simple. No sweets, no snacks, no seconds, except on days that start with the letter S (Saturday, Sunday, and special occasions). I started it in January and I've lost 10 pounds. It isn't super fast weight loss but I can't imagine gaining it back. Eating only three meals a day with no snacking is just a way of life for me now. There is a website and a book but they aren't necessary. I did find the book helpful though. They even have a message board.

Elise in NC

Seriously, you are 5'11" tall.  How much do you think you should weigh?  158 does not seem abnormal.

Hey hey hey...lets not hate on the tall girl!   :tongue_smilie:  

I'm not worked up about scale numbers or clothing sizes.  I simply want to be back.in.the.clothes I wore LAST YEAR (and the year before that) and moreso in that process, regain control of my body. I'm a size 8/10 and want back in 6/8- hardly an irrational or ridiculous goal. 

I seem to be the only person on earth who does not lose weight LC, which leads me to believe individual chemistry must be at play in some way. I have followed the sort of Michael Pollan school of thought. I pretty much avoid anything " processed". I mostly eat fruits and vegetables. A lot of them! I have fish or unprocessed meats. I have brown rice or quinoa or barley if I want but mostly keep breads or sweets to one "special" meal a week. This means I can eat a lot, it's not hard to find something to eat, no fussy ingredients and my whole family can eat the same foods. Today we've had scrambled eggs and strawberries for breakfast, a roast chicken, cauliflower, carrots and salad with baked apples for dessert for lunch. For dinner I'm having portobello pizzas and the kids and dh are having English muffin pizzas. We've got broiled pineapple spears. Popcorn for a snack if anyone wants.

My sister (and you'd think our metabolism would be similar) does and feels better on a plan like this one.

Health wise, fitness matters more than being thin...as a society, I think we need to shift our focus - especially for women - onto fitness. And then just eat sensibly.

Neither of which I do...yet :)

I agree. For a long, long time I was overweight but very healthy and with endurance.

I have lost the health and endurance for a variety of reasons. I plan to work out with my lifestyle and schedule change. Not to lose weight (it will have to be diet for that) but for better sleep, better breathing, better stamina, better immune function, better stress response. Maybe I'll even get to experience better sex.

I agree. For a long, long time I was overweight but very healthy and with endurance.

I have lost the health and endurance for a variety of reasons. I plan to work out with my lifestyle and schedule change. Not to lose weight (it will have to be diet for that) but for better sleep, better breathing, better stamina, better immune function, better stress response. Maybe I'll even get to experience better sex.

I agree- I exercise for endurance & strength & health.....its been a huge part of my life for the last 10 years - and its not to lose weight!!  

Weight loss, for me, is 90% in the kitchen!  

I'm not worked up about scale numbers or clothing sizes.  I simply want to be back.in.the.clothes I wore LAST YEAR (and the year before that) and moreso in that process, regain control of my body. I'm a size 8/10 and want back in 6/8- hardly an irrational or ridiculous goal. 

I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to sound like I was being too critical.

I know I have body size image problems.  I get hung up on numbers.  

I am 5'9" and a couple of years ago got down to 132 pounds (stress).  It was a number I always thought I'd like to be.

I was very muscular--I lifted weights.  The veins in my arms looked like ropes.  You could see every bone in my chest, and all my ribs on my back.  My butt cheeks didn't meet in the middle anymore.

I don't look that way anymore and don't weigh myself because people had commented on how bad I had looked at that weight but still there is the little voice in my head that says it was a good number.  Folks say I look skinny at 150.

Perhaps having your body fat measured would be a better approach (NOT bmi).  It would certainly give a better picture of if you need to lose weight or not.

Really, a lowish carb diet is the only thing that works for me as well. I love the Trim Healthy Mama plan, which does allow some carbs. Basically, you either eat an S (satisfying) meal, which is low-carb, high fat, or you eat an E (energizing) meal, which contains some carbs and little fat. The idea is that it is better for your body to not mix fat and carbs. I still consider THM a mostly low carb diet because even when eating E meals, you can only go up to 45 carbs. And the carbs are what I consider to be healthy carbs, like brown rice, fruit, oatmeal, etc.

Some people dislike THM because it is a giant book that is definitely Christian based. If you're not a Christian, I can see where it may be an annoying read. Also, others find it to be complicated.

What I like about it is that you don't really have to count anything. Instead, there is a food list that you stick to. I also like that I can still eat berries, dairy, and nuts. Instead of counting carbs in them I just use the portions that the book recommends.

THM is certainly not for everyone, but if you like the idea of low-carb, but you'd like to include some healthy carbs, this is a good option.

The thing that helps me is to look at low carb as a liberation from the kitchen. I buy salmon and sirloin patties from Costco, a few steaks, bulk sausage for breakfast, big bags of power greens and brussel sprouts, and sometimes a rotisserie chicken. I hit up a local produce stand for other veggies. It's not fancy, and maybe downright boring, but OTOH no meal takes more than ten minutes to prepare which frees up a lot of time and energy to put into other projects. I keep meals moderately interesting with different dressings and specialty cheeses. At my ideal weight I find I can have a small cheat meal once every few weeks as well - not a dozen doughnuts or anything crazy, but a handful of fries, a taco, or a few pieces of sushi to keep from feeling deprived.

It helps if the whole family is low carb so you don't have to make a separate meal or have carbs around the house. I keep tortillas and beans around for my son, but there are no crackers, pretzels, rice, pasta, or other carbs lying around except fruit. My son is welcome to put anything we eat in a tortilla for meals, and I'll make some carby veggies for him like carrots or corn, but aside from that he eats what we eat. All of this makes low carb eating "just the way we eat" rather than a job.

Hey hey hey...lets not hate on the tall girl! :tongue_smilie:

I'm not worked up about scale numbers or clothing sizes. I simply want to be back.in.the.clothes I wore LAST YEAR (and the year before that) and moreso in that process, regain control of my body. I'm a size 8/10 and want back in 6/8- hardly an irrational or ridiculous goal.

I understand. I'm 5'5" and ~143 lbs. according to some charts I'm very overweight and some say I'm ok or borderline. I'm a size 12-14 because I have a very small bone structure and I'm pear shaped. So while you may see my collarbones and pokey wrists, I struggle into a size 12 and my waist is not a healthy size. People get upset that I would want to lose weight when even my docs agree that my usual 120-125 is a good weight for my frame (and arthritis). So don't worry about other people judging you for your height!

I found some fun exercise videos and I think I'll try 5:2 again Wednesday. I already promised deep dish pizza tonight and we are busy tomorrow. :p

I could never do the LC thing.  I need the energy.  Also, I have some friends who are doctors who convinced me that it's very unhealthy.  Your body thinks it's starving when it is forced to burn fat for energy and that puts it under a lot of stress.  Then if you go off the diet, your body wants to build the fat reserve back up.  I know people disagree about this, but it sounds good to me.  (I want my carbs!!!)

I have been running three miles a day and watching what I eat (smaller portions,fewer sweets, mostly water to drink, etc.).  At first I didn't lose any weight and I almost gave up.  After the first month though, I started losing.  My weight-lifter boys told me I didn't lose at first because my body was turning fat to muscle. :) Anyway, since then, I've been losing about a pound a week.  I have lost ten pounds, plus I am feeling really good.

Nope. But it's much, much harder to lose the weight once you reach where you're losing it for vanity rather than health (I am in the same boat myself, so please don't think I'm trashing you when I say "vanity"). Age doesn't help.

My doctor recommended low carb this past spring when I had my yearly exam. He is sold on low carb, though he says some people can handle more carbs than others. He thinks those people are in the minority though.

I did low carb for a short while and then...just stopped. I'm trying again now. Dh is a naturally thin guy who can eat anything. He loves his bread, potatoes, ice cream, and desserts. He would love it if I made cookies and pies, but I rarely do. I cannot contain myself while baking homemade cookies!! He brings stuff into the house that tempts me. He recently bought peanut M&M's and some other candy that was on sale. Sigh.

What do you do when you live with someone like this??? It's maddening.

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to sound like I was being too critical.

I know I have body size image problems. I get hung up on numbers.

I am 5'9" and a couple of years ago got down to 132 pounds (stress). It was a number I always thought I'd like to be.

I was very muscular--I lifted weights. The veins in my arms looked like ropes. You could see every bone in my chest, and all my ribs on my back. My butt cheeks didn't meet in the middle anymore.

I don't look that way anymore and don't weigh myself because people had commented on how bad I had looked at that weight but still there is the little voice in my head that says it was a good number. Folks say I look skinny at 150.

Perhaps having your body fat measured would be a better approach (NOT bmi). It would certainly give a better picture of if you need to lose weight or not.

You don't really want to look like that again, do you? Seeing every bone in your chest and all your ribs in the back? Are you healthy now? That is the main thing.