Menu

Distressed by clothes prices?

chocolatechip

What's your budget and what types of clothing do you need to buy?

The cheapest place I have seen for things like socks and underwear is Walmart, particularly at this time of year when Hanes and Fruit of the Loom usually have bonus packs with a few extra pairs of socks or undies in the packages. Target has them, too, but Walmart is usually a little cheaper.

You can also get things like men's and boys henley shirts for around $10 each at Walmart and they are well-made and wash very well. If you look around the departments, they also have very inexpensive jeans -- probably the Faded Glory brand but I can't remember for sure. I don't know anything about their women's and girls' clothing, though.

I'm distressed by all inflation.

I have baby clothes I bought in 2000 when my first ds was born that have gone through all 5 of my boys and a few nephews. They were not expensive, they were from Target, Old Navy, even a few things from KMart. They have held up well, I'm really surprised they are still in good enough shape that I'm not embarrassed for my 1 yo to wear them.

The clothes I've bought in the last 4 years since my daughters were born have not held up well at all, they are barely making it through my 2 girls. I'm still shopping at the same stores, but the quality has gone down hill. This is hidden inflation, where the prices don't go up dramatically but the quality and quantity go down.

I've noticed the same for the adult clothes. I have t-shirts I bought from Target 14 years ago that are still in decent shape, but the thin t-shirts I bought last year have not held up well.

It depends on what you're looking for, but ebay can be quite helpful. I've been looking at shoes for some of my children and even ebay "prices" are high. Hello - I don't want to pay $20-30 for used shoes! Other than that I just pay really close attention to sales or free shipping deals online. We live about 1 1/2 hours from good clothes shopping (1/2 hour from even a Wal-Mart), so I have to rely on my computer. :-)

I have found that Goodwill is full of themselves. I typically watch clearance racks at Target and Walmart. I pay $1 to $2 a piece. I can watch old navy or crazy 8 and pay about $5 a piece at times. I also combine 40% coupons for stores like hobby lobby and Michael's and purchase plain t shirts for my boys especially. I have gotten those t-shirts for 50-75 cents before.

Ever since my oldest crossed over from girls' sizes to juniors' ones, I've been in sticker shock. Consignment shops also seem to have fewer of the small sizes compared to a decade ago when I was thin enough to wear the sizes she needs. I guess it's a ripple effect from the obesity epidemic.

The popular teen boutique when I was in high school was called 5-7-9 because it was presumed that most teen girls would wear a juniors' 5, 7, or 9. With "vanity sizing" those are equivalent to today's 1, 3, & 5 but most of today's teen girls are far too large to wear those sizes. So those girls who are at a healthy weight and DO wear a small size have a hard time finding reasonably-priced clothes.

I'm distressed by all inflation.

I have baby clothes I bought in 2000 when my first ds was born that have gone through all 5 of my boys and a few nephews. They were not expensive, they were from Target, Old Navy, even a few things from KMart. They have held up well, I'm really surprised they are still in good enough shape that I'm not embarrassed for my 1 yo to wear them.

The clothes I've bought in the last 4 years since my daughters were born have not held up well at all, they are barely making it through my 2 girls. I'm still shopping at the same stores, but the quality has gone down hill. This is hidden inflation, where the prices don't go up dramatically but the quality and quantity go down.

I've noticed the same for the adult clothes. I have t-shirts I bought from Target 14 years ago that are still in decent shape, but the thin t-shirts I bought last year have not held up well.

I completely agree. I used to love Ann Taylor and now they will not see another cent from me because their quality is worse than Wal Mart or any of the cheap places for teens.

My youngest DD wears hand me downs from her twin sisters. They used to look good as new when she got to them and now I'm buying her more new stuff because the older kids' clothes didn't last. In the past, I could scrub stains out and they'd be fine. Now, if I try to scrub a stain out, I end up making holes! 

I try to buy the kids' clothes from Lands End if I can find a sale or find them used. For myself, I can't find anything I consistently like. All my old favorites have become cheap and flimsy. 

Well, most of my clothes are older than my children, but shopping the sales during the off season is the best way for me to get something new.

I am also always on the lookout for sales every time I walk into a store. I've hit some great clearance stuff for the kids that way.

I completely feel your pain.  Last week at Nana camp I purchased each of the grands(there are 4-ages 1,2-2 year olds, 3 year old)  3 pair of jeans, 3 long sleeve tops, 1 pack of undies, 1 pack of socks, 1 pair of shoes each and a sweat shirt each.   That was $300 bucks!  

I'm going to hit the thrift shops for some sweaters and boots -everything else I'll buy new though.

AND! Let's talk about how much flimsier current womens clothing is, Compared to mens! That really butters my biscuit. I can do with some mens things, like sweatshirts for example, but some women really can't because it looks or feels ridiculous.

I've noticed this as well. My husband has to maintain a nicer wardrobe for work, and it is much easier to find quality clothes for him at department stores than it is for the kids or myself.

What's your budget and what types of clothing do you need to buy?

Budget. . .as little as possible. $75 or less? (ETA: per adult person)

Pants and skirts are the main need here ATM, but everything else will cycle back sooner or later. (Usually sooner. Le sigh.) The issue is finding items of good quality that aren't going to bite the dust in a month.

I have not looked at Walmart. . .though one just went in not too far away from us. Might be worth the trip.

Thank you to everyone for all of the suggestions! 

I cringe every time my oldest grows.  He's so tall and thin that I have to buy his clothes new and even then I'm lucky to even find his size, there is no waiting for sales or clearance, it's more oh my goodness you actually have his size, I'll take your entire stock (which on a good day ends up being 2 pairs of pants).

My oldest daughter is just moving out of kids clothes into Juniors and yes I have serious sticker shock.  Why does girls sized shoes cost $10 and then next size up in women's cost $20?  Or why can I buy kids dresses for $5-6 but a similiar women's is $20-30?  Yes there is more material but not THAT much more.  I hate shopping with a passion so constantly haunting a store to get good clearance sales is not something I enjoy.  I'm thankful none of my kids are all that fashion conscious and will wear whatever I happen to bring home.

I completely feel your pain. Last week at Nana camp I purchased each of the grands(there are 4-ages 1,2-2 year olds, 3 year old) 3 pair of jeans, 3 long sleeve tops, 1 pack of undies, 1 pack of socks, 1 pair of shoes each and a sweat shirt each. That was $300 bucks!

I'm going to hit the thrift shops for some sweaters and boots -everything else I'll buy new though.

Did you get all of that for $300, or was it $300 each? Because if it was all 4 for $300 that sounds like a good deal to me. Am I out of touch? I feel like I have a terrible guage of realistic prices some times.

I second whoever mentioned Nordstrom Rack!  And regular Nordstrom clearance items.  You can really get good bargains on better-made clothing if you are willing to buy out of season/end of season.

I just picked up 4 of my favorite Caslon T-shirts there on the sale rack for $12 each!  And the nice thing about Nordstrom is that they back the quality of their items.  I had a t-shirt develop a hole just after a couple of washings, and they took the return, no problem.

I agree on clearance shopping with coupons! Most of my girl's clothes are Gymboree/Crazy 8/Old Navy and I rarely pay over $5 per item, usually $3-4 for tees, pants, or shorts. Maybe $8 for a dress.

Thrift stores are around here, but they are expensive to me (5.99+ for shirts, 8.99+ for pants).

I shop clearance for the rest and pick up basics (in sizes up from what they are wearing) whenever I see them on clearance.

ETA about grown up clothes: Clearance at Kohl's or Sears or JcP with a coupon for me. DH finds stuff usually at Kohl's or Nordstrom Rack. Burlington Coat factory clearance is usually good for all of us.

Did you get all of that for $300, or was it $300 each? Because if it was all 4 for $300 that sounds like a good deal to me. Am I out of touch? I feel like I have a terrible guage of realistic prices some times.

I agree. If you're out of touch, I am too. That sounds like a great price for all of that for 4 children!

If you have a Kohl's nearby and sign up on the customer mailing list, they will sometimes send you a $10 "gift card" that can be used on anything in the store, no minimum price. I have used this to buy p.j.s, underwear and socks for the kids (on clearance if I can find it - their regular price is ridiculous) and I have also purchased bOOkshelves for myself from their clearance rack - with the $10 off, the final price is usually between $2-$5.

Otherwise we are fortunate enough to get hand-me-downs from friends. We also shop the Goodwill .99 days.

I agree that all 4 for $300 sounds like a great price.

I bought 3 pairs of pants and 4 long sleeved shirts for my 3 year old last night and spent $67.

I have no trouble at Goodwill finding great clothes for my tiny daughter in size 0 ,1 or 2 or ladies x-small or small.  There are tons of options in her size and we often check the girls racks in the 14-16 size as well.

My other dd is a 10/12 petite with a rounder shape and she is harder to shop for.

Clearance sales are great.  Sometimes garage sales have great finds, esp. if you go to those that advertise the sizes you need, esp. those in nicer neighborhoods.  Often the clothes have been only worn a time or 2.

Consignment shops can be good as well.

If you are willing to DIG Kohls has some nice stuff at good prices but NEVER EVER EVER pay full price there.  Wait until they have the 30% coupons and the Kohls cash, etc.

As there is a large age gap between OP and me, perhaps my suggestions won't be as useful (?).

Wear separates, which allows mix-and-match, and results in a greater number of "outfits".  Have the "core" wardrobe consists of "timeless" pieces (jeans, non-mini-skirts, t-shirts, pullover sweaters, etc.) with a sprinkling of "trendy" pieces purchased from lower-end stores.  (Market researchers for Walmart, K-Mart, Target, and similar stores carefully study what is promoted to the public as "fashionable", in order to plan for low-priced copy-cat clothing.)

Since leaving the workforce, the bulk of my wardrobe combines carefully-selected pieces from Walmart and Target.  People will offer kind compliments, then be surprised that I have "assembled" an outfit from those two stores.  (I don't have the "trendy" pieces; however, I'm too old for such, anyway!   :001_smile:  ) 

I hate clothes shopping with a passion. The clothes I bought 17 years ago still look great. The clothes I bought a couple of years ago look like garbage. Shirts are see through and flimsy. Shoddy construction. Holes within the first year. Expensive store or not everything is just so dang cheaply made. It ticks me off and makes me wish I had any kind of sewing talent at all.

There's a book called "Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion" and it was really eye opening for. It's big among the seamstress circle right now, but it goes into the conditions of the factories, the cost to make clothing, and the economic cost. One thing I hadn't really thought about was that the lower quality means fewer clothes even make it to the thrift stores.  Many of them end up in a landfill after only 2-3 seasons....and lots of people are ok with that. "Hey! This shirt only cost $10 and it lasted me 6 months!!"

I picked a color scheme & now only buy/sew things that fit into it. That way I have somewhat of an instant "capsule" wardrobe.

Regarding sewing, I really thought that I'd be able to save money sewing but that hasn't necessarily been the case since I shop pretty cheap; not to mention the amount of time factored in. BUT I have found that I can get better quality for what I do spend, and it feels good to say "Thanks! I made it." Not to mention I can customize the fit. [shameless brag alert!] Last year I made a lined coat that I just adore for $60.

PicMonkey+renfrewCollage.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:  I have no intention of foisting a guilt trip on anyone.  I was musing at the keyboard on a side issue.  No more than that.  I gladly will delete this post if people want me to. 

OT, but either tangential or important, depending upon ones personal beliefs. . . .  For myself, I emotionally wince every time financial necessity forces me to purchase clothing that was made abroad, in one of the countries infamous for fires in a garment district, for sweatshop working conditions, and/or for use of child labour.  I no longer remember how to sew garments, and arthritis now would prohibit the attempt. 

OT, but either tangential or important, depending upon ones personal beliefs. . . .  For myself, I emotionally wince every time financial necessity forces me to purchase clothing that was made abroad, in one of the countries infamous for fires in a garment district, for sweatshop working conditions, and/or for use of child labour.  I no longer remember how to sew garments, and arthritis now would prohibit the attempt. 

It's a really hard balance to strike, I think. It's something I can't help but consider when I'm shopping. The fact of the matter is US manufacturing is nearly non-existent.

There were some garment factory fires (last year?) and it has come out that the doors to the factory are locked so that the workers can't leave. There were no emergency exits. Hundreds of people died & the last I heard, Walmart had not paid any compensation to the workers' families.

Granted, the factory jobs are considered GOOD jobs by those who live in the area. But that doesn't mean we can't do better. Their sewists often get paid less in a month than what we pay for a single pair of jeans (that they make!).

There's a book called "Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion" and it was really eye opening for. It's big among the seamstress circle right now, but it goes into the conditions of the factories, the cost to make clothing, and the economic cost. One thing I hadn't really thought about was that the lower quality means fewer clothes even make it to the thrift stores. Many of them end up in a landfill after only 2-3 seasons....and lots of people are ok with that. "Hey! This shirt only cost $10 and it lasted me 6 months!!"

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just requested it from the library :)

I have found that Goodwill is full of themselves. I typically watch clearance racks at Target and Walmart. I pay $1 to $2 a piece. I can watch old navy or crazy 8 and pay about $5 a piece at times. I also combine 40% coupons for stores like hobby lobby and Michael's and purchase plain t shirts for my boys especially. I have gotten those t-shirts for 50-75 cents before.

Our local Goodwills usually have certain colors go on sale every week. Mondays-Wednesdays are 1/2 off, Thurs-Sat are $1 and then Sundays they are 50 cents. Then they have other sales such as 50% off furniture depending on what sort of stuff they have and space they need.

We do buy things from Goodwill sometimes but we don't usually pay regular price unless it is something dd really wants to use for a costume or something.

I actually buy some things just to cut up for fabric or dd has some sort of idea she got from pinterest she wants to try. Those are things I get on 50 cent day. :lol:

I usually buy things from stores on clearance unless I *really* need something for something specific.

My feet are...really annoying shaped. They are wide at the toes and then narrow at the heel and I barely have any arch. I will go to a store and try shoes on (but I do tell them what I am not buying that day and not to spend a ton of  time on me and lose commission for other people) but then I will look for those shoes online for lower prices.

Last week I bought clogs and some new keens for about 1/2 price from Amazon.

I am actually on the opposite side of the fence:  I think clothing prices are too low.  It seems like you should not be able to walk into a store and pay $10 for a full-priced top.  That is barely an hour's worth of your time if you're making $8 an hour.  I am pretty sure that, once upon a time, there was a wider gap between wages and clothing prices.  It sure seemed like it to me when I was making minimum wage.  I am not a Walmart hater, in that I do not blame them for every ill that exists in our economy, but they have certainly spoiled us when it comes to prices for clothing and similar household items.

I am actually on the opposite side of the fence:  I think clothing prices are too low.  It seems like you should not be able to walk into a store and pay $10 for a full-priced top.  That is barely an hour's worth of your time if you're making $8 an hour.  I am pretty sure that, once upon a time, there was a wider gap between wages and clothing prices.  It sure seemed like it to me when I was making minimum wage.  I am not a Walmart hater, in that I do not blame them for every ill that exists in our economy, but they have certainly spoiled us when it comes to prices for clothing and similar household items.

Clothing prices are too low but even at higher prices it can be hard to find things that will hold up at all. I can pay $50 for  a top and it might not hold up any better than the $10 top. 

I need to pay a visit to Nordstrom Rack! I have been dismayed over prices, too. By the time I dress my big kids (who are actually out in public every day), I feel like there's no $$$ left for me.

I need a plan, though. It's been long enough that I could probably pitch everything and start with a new basic coordinated wardrobe. I need a list for starting from scratch.

(I think we've discussed this before, and some of you have been kind and provided links, but the cash flow never seems favorable for getting it done.)

I agree. The problem I've found, though, is that paying more money does not speak to the quality of the clothing. For example, Gap, Old Navy, Piperlime, Banana Republic....very different price points but I'll bet they use the same factories in their manufacturing & cut the same corners.

We see a lot of cost cutting as "trends" too. Higher hemlines/shorter skirts (and not just in Juniors). A couple inches off thousands of dresses adds up to a lot of yardage.  Cut on sleeves (kimono/dolman sleeves), color blocking, elastic waist dresses, lack of pockets/buttons, stripes that don't line up at the seams...SO much of it saves the manufacturer's tons of money. Same thing with fewer sizes offered. The majority of young women (and men) now don't even know what proper fit looks like.

I look for cheaper places to buy everything, and develop those sources.

We have a local email list where people list used items for sale.  Recently I scored a Gap jeans jacket for myself for $10.

A local church has a free clothing exchange twice a year.  People bring gently used clothes and leave them for others, and can take whatever they want.  The remaining items at the end of the exchange are donated to a local food and clothing nonprofit, which benefits greatly from this.  It's a win win win.

For underwear I go to the Jockey and Hanes/Bali outlets.  There is an outlet mall about 20 miles away, and I can get everything I need between those two stores.

For jeans, I finally broke down and bought a pair of fairly pricey (100ish) NYDJ jeans from Nordstrom after trying and failing with many other stores and brands.  Those worked out great, so now I look for them at the Nordstrom rack.  They are still $50 or so, but they also wear extremely well.

We have some consignment stores here in town that sometimes carry overruns.  8 years ago I found a floor length velvet skirt with chiffon gores there for a reasonable price.  For dressy occasions I always wear that, and vary the tops.

I have gotten away from wearing tshirts very much.  I can buy short sleeved or sleeveless tops that are just a tad dressier but can work as tshirts on sale, and they typically hold up a lot better than tshirts do, plus I can wear them with a dressy outfit or with jeans and they look fine either way.  I wash them in cold water and hang them up to dry, and again they last for a very long time.

I think you have to consider that issue.  Sometimes something that is inexpensive can be pricey in the long run because you never want to wear it or it just wears out quickly.

Whenever I need something specific, I start with the free exchange, then move to the thrift stores, then move to the consignment stores.  Only if all of that fails do I go to a regular store, and then I try to shop sales if possible.  It takes longer to shop this way but I do save a lot of money.

Also, if I see something in a regular store that I really like but that is not in my budget, I usually watch it online and buy it when it goes on clearance if I still want it.  Sometimes the delay means I decide I didn't want it that much after all, and sometimes I get it for 40% off. 

Sleeves! No sleeves on most tips or dresses these day! I know they're saving money there. ðŸ˜

Yep!! "Oh, just add a cardigan!" At $15-$20 a pop (for an oversized, pill-as-soon-as-you-wash-it sweater). And I think the vast majority of women WANT sleeves...even in summer...in the sewing circles at least, most women don't like their arms.

Apparently this is one of my soap boxes. :blushing: Sorry for derailing your thread, OP.

Also, I think a lot of things are "dry clean only" not because of the fabric content but because of the shoddy sewing. I've had tops (not dry clean only) literally fall apart at the seams.

PS  For shoes, first Ross, then Nordstrom Rack, then sales.  I literally cannot remember the last time I bought a pair of full priced shoes with cash.  I have an REI credit card, and I get a refund annually that pays for athletic shoes there.  I also wear classic styles that don't really go out of style.  Teva and Fitflop sandals (although Fitflops have gotten VERY expensive since they became so popular, and I haven't bought a pair in a very long time.)  Both of those last forever.  "Free" athletic shoes every year or two.  A pair of snow boots from REI about every 10 years.  Dressy and flat shoes from those bargain place, I buy good brands and wear them for a long time.

I do have to say that quality has gone downhill.

We do not shop at Walmart, as a general rule.

I buy the bulk of our clothing at Macy's. Different brands throughout the store, but they used to be quality brands.

Lately, though, I spend $30 on a shirt from Macy's, made by what used to be a "quality brand", and two washes in, there are tiny holes in the shirt, or something shrinks despite being washed according to directions!

Stores that used to be known as "bargains", have went up.

For grins and giggles, instead of buying DD's fall clothing at Macy's this year, we tried out Target. I wasn't impressed with their clothing years ago (bled a lot, etc), but I figured - what they heck, we'll try it. The fall line for juniors is cute!

I spent NO LESS than I have in the past at Macy's. Every top DD got was between $25-$30; we skipped jeans from there, because I can buy better quality for the same price at Macy's... but seriously, the clothing at Macy's in the juniors departments was not a dollar less, in general, than what I spend at Macy's. That was annoying. 

I think clothing prices need to go up. I'm sick of super thin t-shirts that are see-through. Cotton prices have gone up, but I would prefer having the option to buy a heavy 100% cotton t-shirt rather than the high polyester blends being sold currently.

I am not a shopper and prefer to buy a few pieces that last rather than many trendy items that fall apart after a few wears. The fast fashion machine was not built for me.

We are lucky to live in an area that has plenty of higher end resale shops. You might check your phone book in the resale, consignment, or used section to see whether you have any shops like this. Ours are usually little hole-in-the-walls but folks bring in good quality stuff to sell or consign.

We also do garage sales. Its a lot of work but I watch the sale ads for listings with clothing in our size ranges and hit those sales when they open. I once found an entire wardrobe of Gymboree clothing in my daughter's size for .25 to .50 each.

My daughter just grew out of Gymboree's sizes (sniff) but I've always had good luck with their clearance and you can't beat the quality. Once or twice a year they have a sale where everything is $12.99 or less. Its not a fabulous deal for their shirts or shorts but the dresses, coats, etc are a steal at that price.

Also, I shop at our local St. Vincent de Pauls on sale days only. Once or twice a month all clothing is 50% off. Even their regular prices are better than Goodwill. I feel silly calling Goodwill "expensive" but in contrast to others of its ilk, it is.

If you care nothing for fashion but want quality clothing that holds up try Duluth Trading Company. Their shirts are longer than the retail shops. The colors stay bright through years of washing. Some of the "workwear" like firehose pants etc.  is too stiff to be comfortable so stick to their casual clothes. This is the only company that I have found that has clothing that lasts more than one or two seasons.

http://women.duluthtrading.com/store/womens-home.aspx?src=G005099&admkt=&mkwid=sz3fezFtS_dc&pcrid=57669521041&pkw=duluth%20trading%20women&pmt=b&gclid=CjwKEAjwtIShBRD08fKD1OWSik4SJAAuKLov0OUuA7Epv8Y0zMpCoJpN6ZldGJlsXQKXLKc6C4aFyhoCN1Tw_wcB