Menu

PSA re. secondary drowning

plansrme

I have not been on the board much this summer, and I don't doubt that this was covered extensively early in the summer, but I just want to put out a heads' up that it can happen to older kids, too.  

My teenaged daughter inhaled water in a lake this weekend when the tube-type contraption on which she was being pulled flipped over suddenly.  I was not there and did not know what had happened until she got home hours later.  She had gotten under the tube when it flipped and then coughed up mouthfuls of water when she surfaced.  She says she felt wiped out for the rest of the day, but she drove herself home when the party was over.  As soon as she walked in, though, I knew something was wrong.  I was on my way out with another kid but stopped to talk for a few minutes, and thank God I did.  She told me what had happened and that she had gotten out of breath just walking into the house.  She is a highly-conditioned athlete--she works out for hours at a time; this was not normal.  I took her to the ER, and the exertion of walking five minutes from our car to the check-in desk apparently sent her into respiratory distress.  I had her sit down while I checked her in at the desk, thinking I was probably overreacting, but as soon as I had her paperwork in hand, I looked over and knew she was in trouble.  She couldn't talk and was really struggling to breathe.  I went all crazy mama yelling for a nurse, and they jumped on it and had her on oxygen within a minute or two (bonus!  we jumped ahead of everyone else in the Friday night ER!).  The hospital admitted her to watch her overnight, and she has been fine ever since, but I shudder to think what might have happened if she had come home to an empty house and had exerted herself in the slightest.  Probably she would not have, but still, if you are going to not be able to breathe, the ER waiting room is a better place for that to happen than in your house or, worse, in your car alone while you are driving home from a lake party.

She did not have water in her lungs--she apparently coughed it all up, but the resident (who looked like he was about 12--is there no minimum age to be a doctor?) said that water destroys the surfactant in the lungs that makes them pliable.  Until the body replenishes it, you can have issues.

She is fine now, but since the horror stories you read about all involve infants and toddlers who go to sleep and do not wake up after a near-drowning, I just want you all to know to keep an eye on older kids and adults as well.

Kudos to your parenting instinct and glad you were there at the right time to use it!

Thanks for the PSA.  I'm another that suspects it could be actually "used" to help another at some point with the scope of this board.

Um, and you deserve either wine or chocolate right now - or both... ;)

My dd the medic lost a teenage patient last summer to secondary drowning. She went to sleep in her bedroom after a scary incident when a canoe overturned. By the time her parents checked on her, she had been gone too long to be worked on. So PLEASE spread the word about this.

My dd the medic lost a teenage patient last summer to secondary drowning. She went to sleep in her bedroom after a scary incident when a canoe overturned. By the time her parents checked on her, she had been gone too long to be worked on. So PLEASE spread the word about this.

Oh, no. So, if a lot of water is inhaled (is that the term?), should victims be taken to hospital, even if they seem ok?

I'm going to check my first aid books and scout info now. This simply doesn't seem familiar, shockingly. Should I be checking under the term 'secondary drowning?'

Btw, addressing Faith, OP or anyone who knows.

Oh, no. So, if a lot of water is inhaled (is that the term?), should victims be taken to hospital, even if they seem ok?

I'm going to check my first aid books and scout info now. This simply doesn't seem familiar, shockingly. Should I be checking under the term 'secondary drowning?'

Btw, addressing Faith, OP or anyone who knows.

OP here.  I don't know what the official recommendations are, but you can google "secondary drowning" or "dry drowning," though I don't know that either of them is exactly what happened to her.  I called the children's hospital's nurses' line before I took her in, and they said to bring her in, but her only symptom at that point was being out of breath when she shouldn't have been.  In the ER, they asked about other symptoms that, it turned out, she also had had--headache and numbness in one hand, but those had gone away by the time she got home.  

There are several articles on the internet that tell you what to look for in younger children who can't tell you what is going on, e.g., irritability, listlessness, that sort of thing, but I did not really find any hard and fast rules about when you should take an older child in.  

I did not even think of this as a near-drowning because she was wearing a life jacket and not actually in danger of drowning, but she definitely inhaled water, so I suppose it might as well have been.  In retrospect, I would have (if I had known what happened) not let her drive herself home. 

ETA:   This is a good, short article on the subject.

Ys if someone struggled to surface, coughs up water instead of spitting...may appear to have difficulty getting enough wind to speak, etc.its worth checking out. Immediately feeling lethargic, being quieter than normal after the incident, disorientation,desperately wanting to nap...usually if a person has been under enough to swallow water more than multiple times, get checked.

I'm so glad your DD is okay!

I had no idea this could happen.  Thanks for the PSA.  We have 2 water events planned with our youth group next month and I can let the other leaders know what to look for in case something happens!

Thank you for sharing. I just read your story to my teenage sons.

I have not been on the board much this summer, and I don't doubt that this was covered extensively early in the summer, but I just want to put out a heads' up that it can happen to older kids, too.

My teenaged daughter inhaled water in a lake this weekend when the tube-type contraption on which she was being pulled flipped over suddenly. I was not there and did not know what had happened until she got home hours later. She had gotten under the tube when it flipped and then coughed up mouthfuls of water when she surfaced. She says she felt wiped out for the rest of the day, but she drove herself home when the party was over. As soon as she walked in, though, I knew something was wrong. I was on my way out with another kid but stopped to talk for a few minutes, and thank God I did. She told me what had happened and that she had gotten out of breath just walking into the house. She is a highly-conditioned athlete--she works out for hours at a time; this was not normal. I took her to the ER, and the exertion of walking five minutes from our car to the check-in desk apparently sent her into respiratory distress. I had her sit down while I checked her in at the desk, thinking I was probably overreacting, but as soon as I had her paperwork in hand, I looked over and knew she was in trouble. She couldn't talk and was really struggling to breathe. I went all crazy mama yelling for a nurse, and they jumped on it and had her on oxygen within a minute or two (bonus! we jumped ahead of everyone else in the Friday night ER!). The hospital admitted her to watch her overnight, and she has been fine ever since, but I shudder to think what might have happened if she had come home to an empty house and had exerted herself in the slightest. Probably she would not have, but still, if you are going to not be able to breathe, the ER waiting room is a better place for that to happen than in your house or, worse, in your car alone while you are driving home from a lake party.

She did not have water in her lungs--she apparently coughed it all up, but the resident (who looked like he was about 12--is there no minimum age to be a doctor?) said that water destroys the surfactant in the lungs that makes them pliable. Until the body replenishes it, you can have issues.

She is fine now, but since the horror stories you read about all involve infants and toddlers who go to sleep and do not wake up after a near-drowning, I just want you all to know to keep an eye on older kids and adults as well.