Menu

So depressed about work opportunities (JAWM)

DragonFaerie

I’ve been working on getting my MA in English for two years now with the hopes of teaching online literature and writing classes at the community college level (I have no interest in pursuing a Ph.D. for university/tenure careers).  My student loan balances are more than some people’s mortgages.  I will probably never have them paid off.  On top of that, it sounds more and more like finding decent online teaching opportunities may not be possible at all and certainly finding enough work to sustain a household is quite unlikely.  I absolutely do NOT want to work outside the home (for a variety of reasons, so please don’t suggest that).  I worked for several years as a contract mortgage loan processor when the kids were very young, and I really enjoyed. But, licensing requirements in the last several years have made that an impossibility now.  I am a fairly good writer, but I do not like writing SEO content, blogs, etc. and have no real areas of expertise anyway (the mortgage experience is too old to be relevant now).  I have done transcription, which is all well and good, but not something I can see doing long-term nor even enough on a daily basis to make any real money (I just can't sit and type for that many hours a day).  I’m feeling quite depressed about my future right now.  This is really a JAWM thread because I just don’t think I can stand hearing about how I should put on my big girl panties and go out and get a job, etc.  I’m just feeling really down and hopeless right now.

:grouphug:

Online teaching really does vary based on location. Our cc has full timers getting the online courses. As an adjunct, I've only taught I think 3 online courses over the last 12 years. But teaching on campus in the evenings has worked pretty well for me.

I hope you find something that works for you!

I'm sorry. How about home tutoring in english? I have a neighbor doing that as her only job. People bring their kids to her home.

Yes would home tutoring be possible?  Maybe look at training in Barton or Wilson and do tutoring for dyslexic kids as well as English and writing tutoring? Barton even helps you find ways to advertise and run your tutoring business.

And huge hugs!!!

I'm really sorry.  From what I hear, more and more colleges are offering online courses, and there are many state run online high schools.  I hope something opens up for you. 

Have you got any teaching experience at all?  If so, you could do online scoring for Pearson.  The work is erratic (maybe 2 or 3 months a year total) but the pay is decent ($20/hr or so)

Thanks for the suggestions and the kind words.  Part of my problem is that we live in a pretty small town (graduating class for our local high school was 88 kids last year).  There just isn't much of a market.  I have applied to Pearson a couple of times but haven't gotten a call back from them as yet.

I, too, am sorry you're feeling down about this. 

For what it's worth, and this also is definitely not a full-time, support-your-family gig, you might take a look at Tutor.com. I've been working for them part-time for about a year, and I like it. The money isn't enough to live on (starting at about $9 an hour, as I recall), but the hourly rate isn't bad given that I get to more or less set my own hours and can work in my PJs on my own computer. 

I'm looking for something more for the fall, too. I've applied for a bunch of stuff recently and haven't had so much as a nibble. So, I can relate a bit to your feelings.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that both of us find something great soon!

I, too, am sorry you're feeling down about this. 

For what it's worth, and this also is definitely not a full-time, support-your-family gig, you might take a look at Tutor.com. I've been working for them part-time for about a year, and I like it. The money isn't enough to live on (starting at about $9 an hour, as I recall), but the hourly rate isn't bad given that I get to more or less set my own hours and can work in my PJs on my own computer. 

I'm looking for something more for the fall, too. I've applied for a bunch of stuff recently and haven't had so much as a nibble. So, I can relate a bit to your feelings.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that both of us find something great soon!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I applied at Tutor.com and just scored 100% on their English test.  Unfortunately, they don't need English tutors right now.  I'll keep checking back, though, and maybe try another test or two in the meantime. 

No major advice except don't give up.  There might be some other avenues you have not explored.  What about stuff like editing?

In terms of the loans, they do have programs out there now that are based on income (not the old income plan they used to have).  Basically the intention with these payback configurations is to address people pursuing areas that will never pay all that great.  You pay based on your income for a set period of time and then after the rest is forgiven (but must be claimed on taxes). 

I did book editing for an epublisher for about a year.  I enjoyed that, but unfortunately, it doesn't pay.  They do a percentage of royalties which turned out to be negligible (my first quarterly statement was for $3.34 and I had already been with them for a year).  So, I was pretty much working for free. :(

I'm sorry.  :grouphug:

Do you have any interest in starting your own teaching web site with homeschool clients over the internet?

I would love something like this, but I have no idea how to go about it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I applied at Tutor.com and just scored 100% on their English test.  Unfortunately, they don't need English tutors right now.  I'll keep checking back, though, and maybe try another test or two in the meantime. 

I had the same issue. So, I took and passed the social studies test. (My degree is in English, but after years of homeschooling . . .). Apparently, they did need social studies tutors, and I was brought on right away.

I've been working on getting my MA in English for two years now with the hopes of teaching online literature and writing classes at the community college level (I have no interest in pursuing a Ph.D. for university/tenure careers).  My student loan balances are more than some people’s mortgages.  I will probably never have them paid off.  On top of that, it sounds more and more like finding decent online teaching opportunities may not be possible at all and certainly finding enough work to sustain a household is quite unlikely.

Just

Agreed

WIth

You.

If you don't mind us asking, you say that you are two years into your MA -- are you almost done, or do you have a ways to go?   I would hope that if you are close, you can hang on and finish.  Would you consider teaching online at the high school level?  My feeling is that there are more opportunities at that age group.

Just

Agreed

WIth

You.

If you don't mind us asking, you say that you are two years into your MA -- are you almost done, or do you have a ways to go?   I would hope that if you are close, you can hang on and finish.  Would you consider teaching online at the high school level?  My feeling is that there are more opportunities at that age group.

I should finish in September of next year (I can only manage one class at a time), and yes, I would love to teach online high school.  The problem with that is that I don't have a teaching certificate.  And from what I've found, a cert requires even more classes that I would have to pay for.

I should finish in September of next year (I can only manage one class at a time), and yes, I would love to teach online high school. The problem with that is that I don't have a teaching certificate. And from what I've found, a cert requires even more classes that I would have to pay for.

Some certifications can be emergency certifications and then you get the coursework you need for certification while teaching. I'd think having a masters and experience homeschooling would be really good for getting a position with a virtual school...

I've also made a very little money doing text review for publishing companies. Let a book rep at your school know that you'd be interested.

I just wanted to add that our state has a big online high school.  Its offices are in one city, yes, but the teachers are all over the state.  A couple of my kids took a course with it, and we discovered that NONE of their teachers lived in that city;  they live all over the state in different places.  So, I think even if you live in a small town, you could still apply at online schools whose offices are in a different area.

Three words:

Income. Based. Repayment.

It makes those big loans a lot less scary.

We didn't have it when we got out of school, and it is just as well, as we could (barely) manage our (insanely high) payments on our income, and at least we are getting it paid off (some day), which IBR won't necessarily achieve.

However, IBR does make student debt a lot less terrifying when I think of my kids. I won't let them take on undergrad debt, but once they are "grown ups" I won't be able to stop them from taking on big grad school debt (like we did, and it really was the right thing for us) . . . and at least with IBR, there is a "way out" other than selling your kidneys.

So, my advice is just to research IBR, make a plan to use it properly, and then muddle along the best you can. Be sure to enroll in IBR right away so your "clock starts ticking" . . . and be sure to make a plan to pay the taxes on the forgiven amount (assuming you don't ever earn enough to pay it all back) . . . I have read advisors recommending to 1) make minimum IBR payments and 2) start a dedicated (tax deferred if possible) savings account for the (possible enormous) tax bill you'd get when the loans get forgiven at the end of your repayment period. If I were advising a person with big loans and uncertain ability to pay them back, that's what I'd advise.

(((hugs))

I’m feeling quite depressed about my future right now. This is really a JAWM thread because I just don’t think I can stand hearing about how I should put on my big girl panties and go out and get a job, etc. I’m just feeling really down and hopeless right now.[/size][/font]

I'm sorry. My situation is a little different, but I'm sitting at home all day with kids in school, a post grad qualification, and no earthly idea how I can get work that doesn't require the kids to be with sitters after school and during the holidays, which is simply not what we want for them. I go through cycles of being resigned to this, and being, as you say, 'really down and hopeless'.

I would love something like this, but I have no idea how to go about it.

As far as online tutoring, I've never done it. But perhaps you could offer someone (privately or advertised elsewhere) Skype sessions to help with their writing. I think quite a bit can be done via Skype and email or Google Docs. Maybe offer it for very low cost and increase your price as you gain references? Advertise on homeschool blogs or wherever it's allowed?

I have a few questions and they might be too personal.  Just ignore them if they are but I'm trying to brainstorm on ideas for you.

Are you wanting to work to support your family or to supplement a spouse's income?

Are you opposed to working outside the home forever or just until your kids graduate?

Are you currently living off of your student loans?

I tried to work for an online school at one time.  In our state, we don't have online programs through the state or local districts, so anything I do would be for an outside company.  However, the pay was far too low for me to make it a career, and they stated I needed to be home in the evenings so that I could be available to students.  I just have too many evening activities to do that.

My point I guess is that you will also need to know all the details before you jump on a stay at home job like this.  If it works for you, great, but there are stipulations.

I am sorry you haven't found anything so far.  I too would like to know if not working outside the home is a forever thing.

Yes, getting English college teaching jobs without a lot of teaching experience (I assume?) is very tough, and then online is even harder.  I'm sorry, but there are too many people with the degree you're getting.  At the local community colleges, the majority of English professors came from public and private high schools, most were part-time first.

I teach online for two institutions and face-to-face for another. The hours work very well for me.  I also do online course development and online faculty development seminars on a contract basis.  Even being a STEM professor, getting full-time online work is next to impossible for me.  I've been teaching online for seven years, which was the "right" time to start this because so many professors didn't want to do that, and the college I was working for at the time had just opened their online component. 

So keep trying, but you may have to take a different route on your path to teaching online.  It is a tough field to break into right now.  I have multiple friends who have tried and tried, and none of them have had any success in getting anything with decent pay.   :grouphug: 

I have a few questions and they might be too personal.  Just ignore them if they are but I'm trying to brainstorm on ideas for you.

Are you wanting to work to support your family or to supplement a spouse's income?

Are you opposed to working outside the home forever or just until your kids graduate?

Are you currently living off of your student loans?

The first question is hard to answer due to the complications of my current situation.  But yes, I think I just need supplemental income, but I'm still shooting for $1000 a month.  More would be even better.

I hope to never have to work outside the home.

Yes, right now I'm currently living off student loans (please don't judge; I know it's a bad, BAD idea but it's what I have right now)

Yes, getting English college teaching jobs without a lot of teaching experience (I assume?) is very tough, and then online is even harder.  I'm sorry, but there are too many people with the degree you're getting.  At the local community colleges, the majority of English professors came from public and private high schools, most were part-time first.

I teach online for two institutions and face-to-face for another. The hours work very well for me.  I also do online course development and online faculty development seminars on a contract basis.  Even being a STEM professor, getting full-time online work is next to impossible for me.  I've been teaching online for seven years, which was the "right" time to start this because so many professors didn't want to do that, and the college I was working for at the time had just opened their online component. 

So keep trying, but you may have to take a different route on your path to teaching online.  It is a tough field to break into right now.  I have multiple friends who have tried and tried, and none of them have had any success in getting anything with decent pay.   :grouphug: 

This is what I'm afraid of.  I'm not even adverse to changing my degree program in order to have better opportunities, but I'm afraid I won't have enough borrowing power left to finish at this point.  I've considered accounting because I'm pretty good with numbers (though not enough higher-level math for a mathematics degree), but I'm not sure if that's a good idea either.

The first question is hard to answer due to the complications of my current situation.  But yes, I think I just need supplemental income, but I'm still shooting for $1000 a month.  More would be even better.

I hope to never have to work outside the home.

Yes, right now I'm currently living off student loans (please don't judge; I know it's a bad, BAD idea but it's what I have right now)

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  I'm living on student income (although this fall will not be as many loans as last year). I do have a part-time temp job interview tomorrow. Facing a different reality is difficult. I'm sorry. 

I understand it can be frustrating.  Like you, I'm interested in supplementing our income from an "at-home" opportunity.  Maybe just take some time off to revamp.  You need to sustain a household.    Take that time off and come back thinking outside the box.  Are you able to talk to friends, family, attend workshops, etc. to help in your search?

I had a thought this morning; you think you don't have any interests that would be good for a blog, but you are a home school mom. An education blog should have many readers. I used to follow several when I was a new home school mom. I followed blogs that linked to articles about education news stories and provided some commentary. I really enjoyed many of them, but they went by the wayside as most were written by home school moms or teachers who were too busy to keep them up.

I understand it can be frustrating.  Like you, I'm interested in supplementing our income from an "at-home" opportunity.  Maybe just take some time off to revamp.  You need to sustain a household.    Take that time off and come back thinking outside the box.  Are you able to talk to friends, family, attend workshops, etc. to help in your search?

Sadly, not really.  My SO doesn't really get it and just assumes that I'll figure something out.  My mom thinks I need to just go get a job.  And my friend that I can talk to is in her own similar situation.  We commiserate but neither of us has any answers.  Right now I'm wondering if, when I finish my degree, I could maybe cobble together enough things to make it work.  Like if I can get even one online college course to teach and then fill in the rest with typing (if I have to) or freelance editing or tutoring or some combination thereof.  I just don't know.  And I can't help but wonder if I'm not just throwing away thousands of dollars on a useless degree.  Would I be better off getting a BS in Accounting or Health Info Mgmt. instead?  But then again, those wouldn't let me work from home when I finish (I don't think). 

I'm so sorry. May I ask why you chose English for your MA? Perhaps going back to your original reason might suggest how and where you could best apply it for your situation.

I went back to school for my MA in English because I had just gotten divorced and needed to be able to earn a living.  My BA is in English, so getting my MA in the same subject made sense (I thought). I figured I could teach online college courses from home so that I could still homeschool and be available to my kids day to day.  I still definitely want the work from home and being with/homeschooling my kids parts.  I'm just thinking now that the career/degree options might have been a bad choice. 

I went back to school for my MA in English because I had just gotten divorced and needed to be able to earn a living.  My BA is in English, so getting my MA in the same subject made sense (I thought). I figured I could teach online college courses from home so that I could still homeschool and be available to my kids day to day.  I still definitely want the work from home and being with/homeschooling my kids parts.  I'm just thinking now that the career/degree options might have been a bad choice. 

It's not necessarily a long term bad choice........ but you may have to do things you don't want to in the short term. I know that where dh teaches, the online classes go to those who have already proven themselves in the regular classroom, even if only part time. After only 2 years, he is teaching one in person class and one online (however, the online is live, where he is on his computer at the same time as he students, and they do have one weekly "live" lecture", with the rest being independent work).

Have you looked at any technical writing opportunities? 

I was under the impression that in order to be a technical writer, you have to be familiar with the technical aspects of whatever you're writing about.  If that is not necessarily the case, how does one go about finding technical writing positions?  Obviously I don't know much about that field.