Menu

Do you report this to DFCS?

plansrme

Mom of four is stoned at her son's baseball game. Kids live with mom and possibly with dad as well. Dad may or may not have been on something, but there is no doubt about mom. Just assume I am correct on this. The son told another mom that when their bedroom burned up, they could not wake mom to get her out of the house. I do not know if she was alone with the kids during this incident or if the dad was there also. Grandparents (maternal) are at every game, but kids come and go with their parents.

I have the kid's name and county but no more information. I have suspected something was off with mom before but have never paid enough attention to clue in on the obvious. Today I paid attention and was shocked at how blatant it was.

But does DFCS want to know if a parent is stoned in public? Has anyone reported something similar?

Did you smell an odor to make you think it was an ilegal substance rather than some sort of prescription medication? I've had allergic reactions in the past where the medication prescribed made me very out of it. I generally stay in bed when that happens but if it were a really important game, I might go assuming DH drove.

Are we talking pot in a state where it is a legal, or another drug, or a state where it is illegal?

Not legal, and also, I wouldn't think pot. I wouldn't expect pot to have lasted for 1 1/2 hours without being refreshed. I really have no relevant experience, but she was barely functional for a long time. It was not wearing off as the game went on.

Did you smell an odor to make you think it was an ilegal substance rather than some sort of prescription medication? I've had allergic reactions in the past where the medication prescribed made me very out of it. I generally stay in bed when that happens but if it were a really important game, I might go assuming DH drove.

She paid zero attention to the game. I did not have her pee in a cup for a drug test. Assume drugs, though, for the sake of this dilemma.

Not legal, and also, I wouldn't think pot. I wouldn't expect pot to have lasted for 1 1/2 hours without being refreshed. I really have no relevant experience, but she was barely functional for a long time. It was not wearing off as the game went on.

That makes me wonder about side affects to a medication or lack of sleep or possible mental illness.

Yeah, I too would wonder if it was a drug she was legally taking for some ailment - or the ailment itself making her tired.  I would not call on this family unless I saw the kids in immediate danger.

My mom used to be thoroughly exhausted all the time.  It turned out to be colon cancer.  It would suck if she had to deal with an allegation of child endangerment during that time.

Strictly based on seeing her at a ball game and thinking she's impaired? Probably not. It could very well be prescribed pain meds. 

I would also think you would need a bit more info to make a meaningful report, such as the address or at least the parents' names. Someone could probably figure out where my kids live based on their name and county, but they have a very unusual last name. 

No, I don't think I would, unless I were SURE she was driving them.

If she is not on illegal drugs, but is rather having a bad reaction to required medication at an inopportune time, an allegation of child abuse is the last thing she needs.

Contrariwise, if she IS addicted to drugs, it is unlikely that just getting DCFS involved is going to make her stop. It might, however, get the children removed to a far more dysfunctional family. Outcomes for children in foster care are so overwhelmingly negative that it would need to be something far more severe (physical abuse leaving large bruises/broken bones, sexual abuse, for example) before I would report it.

I don't think you have enough real evidence to support a call.  As others have said, she may have some sort of chronic illness or ailment that is creating the problem.  She may be trying new meds (per her dr) that aren't working and they haven't been switched yet.  There are a lot of things it could be.  I would not report that unless there were definite evidence (you see her with illegal drugs at the game, for example).

To me, it sounds like child neglect, and I would probably make a call.  I would be honest that I don't know the situation fully, but am concerned and relate what you know. 

In general, child abuse/neglect and domestic violence are not only two of the most common crimes in our country, but also the least reported.  We lose over four women and five kids every single day in the US because of them. (Steps off soapbox.)   I trust the authorities to investigate things and know what to do.  With the emphasis on keeping families together (sometimes to the detriment of the children honestly), I don't worry so much about a removal.  Most likely, they will check on Mom, see if she's on meds or what not… and perhaps see if she has the support necessary to be able to parent and deal with her medical issues/addiction.

Was she driving?

I don't know, but she was so out of it at home that her house nearly burned down around her, with her kids in it.  This was relayed to be my another parent who got it straight from the kid.  That seems pretty dangerous to me.

Those of you who say "no," do you think it is okay for a parent to be stoned in front of her kids?  I am not comfortable giving out more details of her behavior, so for the sake of this question, assume she is on drugs.  If I described her behavior in more detail, y'all would probably be more inclined to believe me.  Also, frankly, if it had been something along the lines of exhaustion or a side effect of medication, her parents and husband would have been more solicitous of her.  As it was, they barely acknowledged her presence.  The husband, however, I suspect was also impaired in some way (but differently; he was weirdly hyped up).

I can end up very loopy from a child's dose of children's benadryl. I also have severe allergies. I do not leave the house if I have taken benadryl and I would never consider driving while in that state. However, I would not make any assumptions about what substances someone has taken without more information. If I have to take benadryl it takes at least 24 hours to feel normal again.

I don't know, but she was so out of it at home that her house nearly burned down around her, with her kids in it.  This was relayed to be my another parent who got it straight from the kid.  That seems pretty dangerous to me.

Those of you who say "no," do you think it is okay for a parent to be stoned in front of her kids?  I am not comfortable giving out more details of her behavior, so for the sake of this question, assume she is on drugs.  If I described her behavior in more detail, y'all would probably be more inclined to believe me.  Also, frankly, if it had been something along the lines of exhaustion or a side effect of medication, her parents and husband would have been more solicitous of her.  As it was, they barely acknowledged her presence.  The husband, however, I suspect was also impaired in some way (but differently; he was weirdly hyped up).

No, not really, but there are a lot of things that I don't think parents should do in front of kids that I would not report.

If this is mostly what you're basing your decision on, then I would say no. This is just gossip and you don't know if it is true.

Also, I have been extremely difficult to wake at times when I am exhausted or ill.

If I was truly worried, I would try to talk to one of the grandparents or other family members that attend the games. I would not jump to calling the authorities based on what you've shared here.

I would trust your instincts. You were there, you saw her firsthand & were told the info about the kid not being able to wake the mom in an emergency. We can all chime in with why we would or wouldn't call but at the end of the day what would you feel best doing? If my gut said something was wrong ie: drug use or kids in danger then I'd call the police.

If this is mostly what you're basing your decision on, then I would say no. This is just gossip and you don't know if it is true.

Also, I have been extremely difficult to wake at times when I am exhausted or ill.

If I was truly worried, I would try to talk to one of the grandparents or other family members that attend the games. I would not jump to calling the authorities based on what you've shared here.

I agree with this, I would not jump to conclusions based on hearsay.

I would call the police if I knew a person was impaired and driving.

I would not call about the fire speculation .

That does not mean I believe "it's ok" to be impaired in front of children; your assertion makes an erroneous assumption.

I don't know, but she was so out of it at home that her house nearly burned down around her, with her kids in it. This was relayed to be my another parent who got it straight from the kid. That seems pretty dangerous to me.

This right here shows you have no real evidence. You have hear-say, which will never hold up in court, and observations of behavior that can have innocent explanations.

If she is driving while impaired you can report that, and the ensuing investigation may lead further. But if you report her for being stoned and it turns out you were mistaken you can be taken to court yourself for harassment. This is beside the hassle and grief you can cause her family if your report is mistaken.

Be very careful here. If you were observed not in your best light would you want someone reporting you because they thought you were stoned? Be certain of your facts first. Have you tried to get to know her?

I would call the police if I knew a person was impaired and driving.

I would not call about the fire speculation .

That does not mean I believe "it's ok" to be impaired in front of children; your assertion makes an erroneous assumption.

Oh please. I made no such assumption. My question was whether responders think this behavior is acceptable. IOW, if you don't think it is reportable, do you think it is acceptable? You answered. Thanks for that. But your condescension about my so-called assumptions was uncalled for.

Frankly, though I appreciate the responses, I am surprised at the number who would not do anything because I do not have the results of a drug test in front of me. If a mom is stoned out of her mind on a Sunday morning, I don't see how she is a fit custodial parent. And really, she was stoned. This was not Benadryl.

You all have given me a lot to think about, so thanks for taking the time to respond.

Given that she was not driving and there were three other adults there I would try to find out more info before making a decision. If your gut is telling you something is wrong I don't think you should just drop it, but I don't think what you have said here is enough to warrant a call.

Asked and answered above (see the post about the dad's and parents' behavior).  But thanks so much for that sweet response.  

Maybe the parents and husband weren't more solicitous of her because they know the reason for her behavior and it isn't as big a deal as you think it is? I think you have a lot of holes to fill in and so far your version of events seems to be a bit influenced by gossip.

ETA: Was there ever an answer to whether or not the mom was driving with her children?

How certain are you that illegal drugs are the cause of the behavior?  I know you're asking us to assume, but are you assuming or are you certain?  I have chronic leukemia and there have been times my husband tried to wake me and couldn't.  I would be heartbroken if people assumed I was using illegal drugs just because I could hardly get out of bed some days.  My kids and husband might not seem concerned or sympathetic in public because it's just part of our lives now.

I wouldn't worry about this. If she was impaired, the firefighters would have called DCFS. So either they did and the family is in the system or there is some other explanation.

I would not call for a mother being stoned.  There were other adults there. If she were attempting to drive in that condition, I would call the police.  

As for the fire story?  As others have said, it's third hand information. You don't call DFCS based on third hand information.  

I would report it.  If it is a drug from the dr. she can show the investigator the bottle.  They will have to catch her driving themselves, that is a police issue.  If the kids are in danger then they will be protected.  If there was a file already for that family, then that is not your problem it just means they as parents are making poor choices and others have noticed as well.

If the room burned up I assume the fire department was called in? they are mandated reporters and would have reported that themselves.  As for today's game, if she was driving I would have called 911 and reported an impaired driver, rather than dcfs

Except for reeking of pot or whiskey, i can't identify drugs vs. impaired in some other way. And I live in a place where pot use is not DCFS stuff, unless you try to hock the kids to buy weed.

I think being intentionally impaired in front of kids is bad form, but not necessarily DCFS stuff. Especially if (as in this case) everyone was our in public and safe.

Oh please. I made no such assumption. My question was whether responders think this behavior is acceptable. IOW, if you don't think it is reportable, do you think it is acceptable? You answered. Thanks for that. But your condescension about my so-called assumptions was uncalled for.

Frankly, though I appreciate the responses, I am surprised at the number who would not do anything because I do not have the results of a drug test in front of me. If a mom is stoned out of her mind on a Sunday morning, I don't see how she is a fit custodial parent. And really, she was stoned. This was not Benadryl.

You all have given me a lot to think about, so thanks for taking the time to respond.

It seems as though you have already made up your mind and evaluated the situation to your satisfaction and wish to report.

To me, it sounds like child neglect, and I would probably make a call.  I would be honest that I don't know the situation fully, but am concerned and relate what you know. 

In general, child abuse/neglect and domestic violence are not only two of the most common crimes in our country, but also the least reported.  We lose over four women and five kids every single day in the US because of them. (Steps off soapbox.)   I trust the authorities to investigate things and know what to do.  With the emphasis on keeping families together (sometimes to the detriment of the children honestly), I don't worry so much about a removal.  Most likely, they will check on Mom, see if she's on meds or what not… and perhaps see if she has the support necessary to be able to parent and deal with her medical issues/addiction.

I think that is a glamorized view of what dcfs does when they get a call, call me jaded after my experiences with them but it's not quite like that.  Won't go further, but they don't simply check and move on, they turn a family's life upside down even when they have proven that there is nothing wrong.

Ah ok. I'm not sure experience witnessing one or another necessarily gives someone a clear idea of which is the cause, though.

I don't think the OP was saying that lighting a blunt caused the fire. I was under the impression they meant that the parent was out of it when a fire occurred. Who knows why or how it occurred. I could be way off base, though.

My point is that the OP has no idea the cause of the parents behavior. I have not inferred the reason for the fire. Others have. I have stated that fires happen for LOTS of reason that have nothing to do with drug use. I will reread my replies to make sure I expressed myself clearly. :)

Edited by Moderator
Edited to remove totally unnecessary snark.

Personally, no I wouldn't report. The fire incident is hearsay and as another poster mentioned it would have been reported by the firefighters if there were an issue. Perhaps she has a sleep disorder and is on Ambien, very weird side effects including hallucinations for some. 

Legal prescription medication can make a person stoned, perhaps she was on anxiety meds because of the fire. I've seen very legal prescribed meds do funky stuff to people. 

Did you stick around to make sure she wasn't driving? That would be my only concern and I would have called the police, not social services on that one. 

OP, I am actually shocked that you would think to disrupt people's lives in a serious way based on a single hearsay conversation and no actual evidence of wrongdoing. I have bipolar and an anxiety disorder. When I titrate up on new meds, it is very common for me to experience the kinds of side effects you described. I certainly wouldn't drive under such circumstances, but attend my kid's game with other relatives in tow? Absolutely. This woman could very well be doing right by her family and herself by taking meds. You have no way to know, and I think it is horribly intrusive and presumptuous to involve CPS under these circumstances.  

I agree with SeaConquest.  I don't think you can tell what a "stoned" person is taking (legal or illegal).

Let's assume you ran across one of the moms who is prescribed meds that make her appear "stoned."  You are judging that mom for having a need for meds.  Would she be a better mom if she, A, didn't take her needed meds, or B, didn't attend her kids' games?  Shaming people who dare to go into the public looking impaired is one of the reasons why many people don't take their meds.  And that leads to serious problems.

So to your question whether I think it is OK for parents to be "stoned" in front of their kids, my answer is yes, if there is a good reason for them to take a drug.

I also agree that if there was a fire that was reported to the fire department, the fire department would have seen if there was a need to report the family over an apparent drug issue.

Question - if DFCS is called and investigates this family and finds that there is illegal drug use, what do you think they will do about it?  In what way exactly will this help the child?

I'm usually on the side of better-safe-than-sorry in cases of possible child endangerment, but even I think you're reaching here and you don't have any real reason to call.  There is no way you can tell if she's on an illegal drug vs. a legal one.  I occasionally have to take a large dose of a benzodiazepine to head off a seizure, and I'm sure some people think I'm blasted out of my gourd.  If I was at a game with three other adults and someone reported me to DCFS over a drug that I have to take or risk dying, I'd be beyond pissed.  I mean, for all you know she has a brain tumor or something.  You just don't have any evidence at all that her kids are in danger.

Migraine, other headache meds, trigeminal neuralgia meds, epilepsy meds, bipolar or anxiety meds, and any others can make you appear stoned when you're not.

I've been at many kids sports events and zoned out.    just. don't. care. about. sports.

If you go to another game, follow them out to the car and make sure the stoned woman isn't driving.  If she is, get the car description and license plate number and call 911.