Menu

Kate Middleton and undergarments

Moxie

Useless fluffy post warning!!

For the second time that I know of, KM has been photographed in a strong wind, sans any underwear. Why does she not wear underpants when she wears such flowy skirts?? Although, if my backside looked like that, I'd probably be mooning people as often as I could!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read she had underwear but that it was flimsy. Have NOT seen the pics. I don't know why she doesn't always wear bike shorts under her dresses. That's what most people I know do. I never let my girls wear dresses or skirts without them and nobody's chasing us around looking for wardrobe malfunctions. 

I'm so ashamed of myself for actually clicking on this thread and knowing what it was in reference to.  :blush:

At least she didn't post the photo. :D

The picture I saw made it very clear that the very most she could have been wearing was a tiny thong.

That said, her dress was conservative, and she didn't pull it up and flash a crowd. It was an "accidental exposure" and I think it's ridiculous that people think they should be able to dictate what kind of underwear -- if any -- she decides to wear.

I read she had underwear but that it was flimsy. Have NOT seen the pics. I don't know why she doesn't always wear bike shorts under her dresses. That's what most people I know do. I never let my girls wear dresses or skirts without them and nobody's chasing us around looking for wardrobe malfunctions.

I don't personally know anyone who wears shorts or even spanky pants under their skirts unless they are on some sort of cheer or drill team.

I don't personally know anyone who wears shorts or even spanky pants under their skirts unless they are on some sort of cheer or drill team.

Agreed. I don't wear shorts under skirts in general. I do put them on my daughter because 1) wearing size 2T stuff, it just doesn't take much to show underwear/diaper and few of her skirts are long enough to not be a concern and 2) She does a lot of running, climbing, sliding, etc. and I don't want her slowed down by her clothes or others being worried because she's showing too much.

When I was a child, my favorite clothes were "cuolottes" -- the flowiness of skirts but divided in the middle so I didn't have to worry about them. I don't see anything like that anymore.

The photo I saw looked like it was taken from a short distance away, not an angled camera pointing up her clothing lol They were probably already following her and then a gust of wind came and they continued snapping photos.

Please. They take these pictures for a reason, a not very noble one either. It doesn't have to be taken from below to be a creepy and rather sad use of photography.

It's none of anyone's business what, if any, kind of underwear she or any other lady wears.

I have never in my life known a single person who wore bike shorts under their dresses. Or any kind of shorts.

People really do that?

I have never in my life known a single person who wore bike shorts under their dresses. Or any kind of shorts.

People really do that?

I don't know adults who do it but I know some moms have their DDs do it.

We never did, even when DD went through her "I'll only wear twirly dresses" stage.

I'm not calling it noble. I just look at it as paparazzi being paparazzi.

The paparazzi are just a reflection of our sexist culture. Up the skirt pictures are part of our sexist culture. We can't blame the paparazzi because they are only selling what we will buy.

I wear tights or capris under a dress if

1. It's cold.

2. I am going to be climbing around on a playground, or on the ground with my kids (picnic, outdoor concert, etc)

3. I am going to be hiking, walking a distance, or otherwise in danger of thigh-chafe. Big girl problems.

The type of dresses that Kate is wearing do not lend themselves to shorts. She would look lumpy, and she isn't climbing the monkey bars in them. If she were less flawless, she might require Spanx, but she doesn't.

Taking the pictures wasn't as bad as selling and publishing the pictures. They may not have intended to catch inappropriate pictures, but they definitely didn't act respectfully once they had them. I don't think it's any worse than when they put up similar pictures of other celebrities or anyone.

I guess it varies by region/age as far as the pants under skirts thing goes. I thought it was more common than not. IMO, it's more comfortable and the protection from a wardrobe malfunction is just a bonus. I wear some like these but mine are cheaper. http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=F21&Category=bottom&ProductID=2055985472&VariantID=

I guess it varies by region/age as far as the pants under skirts thing goes. I thought it was more common than not. 

It must be.  I've never seen it suggested in the UK.  So I doubt that it would have occurred to the Duchess of Cambridge.

L

People really do that?

My daughter wears them every day under her dresses and skirts, unless she is wearing leggings instead.  She is very active, and I'd rather she not be continually flashing her underwear.  It works for us.   :)   They are actually specifically marketed for that purpose (see, for example, these bike shorts from Lands' End and Old Navy). 

I wear them very occasionally under my skirts, not for modesty, but for a little extra warmth in the spring or fall.

It must be.  I've never seen it suggested in the UK.  So I doubt that it would have occurred to the Duchess of Cambridge.

L

It certainly never would have occurred to me! I had never seen or heard of it until I read this thread.

I always figured it was my skirt's job to cover the necessary lady parts, and if it didn't cover them, I was wearing the wrong skirt. ;)

When I was Kate's age, my dresses and skirts were a lot shorter than "bike short length," anyway, although most of them were probably just about as tight as bike shorts.

The paparazzi are just a reflection of our sexist culture. Up the skirt pictures are part of our sexist culture. We can't blame the paparazzi because they are only selling what we will buy.

Idk. If Prince William had his kilt fly up to expose his fanny, those photos would be worth just as much.

Idk. If Prince William had his kilt fly up to expose his fanny, those photos would be worth just as much.

Equal opportunity leering does not a non-creepy non-sexist western culture make.

Me neither, at least not over the age of six?!

Sometimes I wear pants under my skirts but that's just because I'm styling like that. :P

My 20 year old always wears shorts under her skirts and dresses, and she wears some pretty short ones.  They don't show at all but give her one less thing to worry about when going to dances.   There was a thread recently where this came up and I asked her what she wore, they were Nike something-or-others.   Pretty much short, seamless bike shorts.

I wear shorts or leggings under skirts and dresses depending on the weather.  Always, and my skirts are always pretty long, flowy, bohemian style ones.  I just find it much more comfortable.

I wear bike shorts under my skirts and dresses. I have long legs, so stuff is short. I don't like worrying about sitting or stairs or what have you. I have some for ladies, like an undergarment, but they always have compression to them and aren't comfortable. Bike shorts that are real bike shorts are tight too, and pricey. I've been buying Old Navy kids cotton bike shorts in XL for...10 years? Maybe more? there are 5 bucks, because they are kids go only a few inches down my legs, and I never worry in the shortest skirt or dress.

So yes, adults do that. Maybe Kate should, but my butt is flabby and saggy...I may go commando too if it looked like hers!

I guess I don't see it as the end of the world if once in a while someone sees my underwear: I don't wear thongs, so passing stranger on a breezy day would see no more than they would at the swimming pool.

L

I suppose it wouldn't matter at all.  Just feels a little vulnerable, especially on the bike. But that's my issue. :)

I guess I don't see it as the end of the world if once in a while someone sees my underwear: I don't wear thongs, so passing stranger on a breezy day would see no more than they would at the swimming pool.

L

I used to feel that way as well, but now that I wear a (American) size 8, those days have passed.  I won't even wear a bathing suit in public anymore, so I certainly don't want anyone to see my underwear.   :huh:

Now, if I had a body like the Duchess of Cambridge, I wouldn't mind nearly as much if my underwear occasionally showed.   ;)

The Duchess can wear or not wear whatever she pleases under her clothes.

So can I.

Just yesterday, in fact, I threw on a dress to take my boys to somewhere and to run errands. I forgot to do my normal panty line check in the mirror. I normally never forget this, but we were running late and I was trying to multitask. Anyway, after I dropped the boys off I went to the restroom, and saw myself in the mirror. I saw panty lines. I DETEST panty lines. I will not walk around with panty lines. The solution? Off came my undies. They spent the rest of the day in my purse. :D  Problem solved.

Perhaps a bit risky as far as discovery in some way such as falling over, getting in a car accident, or being struck by a mini tornado, but the it was a risk I willingly took. I live on the edge. :lol:  

Really??? I personally don't give a rats hiney about Kate's undergarments or lack of them. There are way more important things to be concerned about like Russia.

And yet, here we are . . . reading this thread anyway.

Don't they make her wear nylons? Perhaps she's one of those women who ::shudder:: doesn't wear underwear under nylons.

People really do that?

I do!! I wear Jockey SlipShorts under all dresses and skirts. They're like super light weight spanx. They stop any rubbing and work like a slip. I love them.

I do!! I wear Jockey SlipShorts under all dresses and skirts. They're like super light weight spanx. They stop any rubbing and work like a slip. I love them.

Those are an undergarment, tho'. Do you wear underwear UNDER your Jockey SlipShorts?

"Shorts" implies to me, an item of outerwear that can be wore on their own, on top of underwear.

So when people said they wear shorts under their skirts and dresses, I was thinking of an item that WASN'T an undergarment.

Maybe I've got it wrong, tho' and shorts is some new name for an undergarment.

I used to feel that way as well, but now that I wear a (American) size 8, those days have passed. I won't even wear a bathing suit in public anymore, so I certainly don't want anyone to see my underwear. :huh:

Now, if I had a body like the Duchess of Cambridge, I wouldn't mind nearly as much if my underwear occasionally showed. ;)

Please tell me "size 8" is a typo.

I wear bike shorts under my skirts because I don't like my thighs rubbing together.

I was under the impression that Kate and the royal family got very upset over the pictures and did not want them published. I personally don't care what kind of undergarments anyone wears but if I were repeatedly photographed with my skirt blowing up I would look for a solution such as a slip, full coverage underwear or weighted hems.

Those are an undergarment, tho'. Do you wear underwear UNDER your Jockey SlipShorts?

"Shorts" implies to me, an item of outerwear that can be wore on their own, on top of underwear.

So when people said they wear shorts under their skirts and dresses, I was thinking of an item that WASN'T an undergarment.

Maybe I've got it wrong, tho' and shorts is some new name for an undergarment.

I agree. We all choose how much or how little we want our undies to cover.

When I where tights, they *are* my panties. Ankle length panties. 

If a lady prefers girdle panties or a thong, either is acceptable as an undergarment. Nothing at all is an option, as well.

"Shorts" under a dress or skirt is something else entirely, and only necessary in the instances I listed above, IMO. I can't see wearing shorts under my hundreds at the grocery store. Whatever for? I won't be doing handstands or climbing the shelves.