Menu

TMI - menstrual cups?

blondeviolin

I do and LOVE it.  Started about five years ago and wish I'd discovered them years earlier.  Not as messy as you might think (not mess-free, but to me, no more messy than tampons).  Very nice now that my periods are heavier due to age.  Far fewer leaks.  I use a Diva cup. 

Yes. I used the Diva Cup for a few years. I quit when I decided that it was giving me urinary retention, couldn't empty my bladder all the way. Anyway, but for that, I really liked it. Cups are what I call "advanced feminine hygiene"   :lol:

I switched to a Diva Cup about 5 years ago and haven't looked back - I love it!  I disliked pads - even cloth ones - and tampons left me feeling, erm... dry. :thumbdown:  

It can be difficult when you need to "clean out" in a public bathroom - though the FAQ's did mention that one could simply wipe it down with toilet paper before re-insertion.  I haven't had to do that yet - mostly I make sure to clean it at home before going out. 

Honestly, it's so comfortable that I forget I even have my period...that never happened with pads or tampons.  I wish I had known about it when I was younger.

No issues with urinary retention here, though I could understand it causing issues for some though because -TMI warning here- I notice that it's a little bit harder to have a BM when I have it in.  Not impossible, or even difficult, just requiring a bit more...effort.  So now I just take it out during that time.

I love my Diva cup.  I always had a bad reaction to disposable pads and tampons so I switched to reusable pads in my early twenties.  After my second ds was born I found out about the Diva cup.  I still use cloth pads sometimes but the Diva cup is so more comfortable and convenient.  

Yes, Diva Cup. Man, I wish I'd found it sooner!! I suffer terrible cramps if I use tampons, which is not true when I use the Diva cup.

And I have used tampons in some situations since becoming a Diva Cup user. Every time, I start to get cramps within an hour.

ETA: I'm totally jealous of all the either/or users of feminine products. No matter what, I must always have back-up protection (pad) on. :(

I've been using the Diva for at least the last 5 yrs., probably more.

It is less messy and more comfortable than any other option I've ever used. There is a bit of a learning curve with getting it in and using it correctly, but it's not bad. I agree with the PP who said that it is better to remove it during a bowel movement. I also have significant pain using it for about 12 hrs. on day 2 and sometimes use an alternative instead, but that's probably just me.

I have used the diva cup for about 7 years and will never go back. Even as an adult with 3 kids I could never use tampons comfortably, they always hurt. With the diva I can totally forget that I am having my period. I have never had a leak and use no back up.

Thinking about trying them here, but I have a question, can it be used when you are really light?

Yes, yes, yes! That's one of the fantastic things about cups - they don't wick any "moisture" so there's absolutely no problem. I've even popped the cup in because I knew it was coming in the next few hours and I was going to be heading out for the day!

I started off with the Diva about 8 years ago, I liked it well enough except I always had to jump around to try and get it to pop open properly :D Then I had a trip to England and picked up a Mooncup from the chemist - slightly softer and a bit more flexible, and I haven't looked back.

Convenience and ease of use is fabulous

I use a diva cup on light - medium days. On light days it is AWESOME.  It's almost like not having a period because you only deal with it 2-3 times per day.

I usually have 1-2 days per month with really heavy, watery flow and I find it doesn't work well for me those days.  I find it hard to get in the right place (I think my cervix is too low those days and it just doesn't fit), messy, and that it leaks too often to be worth it on heavy days.

I find that the light suction the cup creates increases the heaviness of my flow but decreases the overall days I have my period by 1-2 days.  It also increases my cramping a little.

I had to cut the stem off for it to be comfortable. If I had it to do over again I would buy the smaller one, despite fitting the criteria for the larger one.

Yup, love my Diva.

I was having trouble with leaking a day or two and googled and found an idea to put it in, make sure it's open, stick your finger on the end (to keep it from coming out) and bare down.  It positions it perfectly and no more leaking.

I so wanted to love my diva cup. I tried and tried but I could not make that cup work.  I am now trying to convince my daughter to try it out because if it works for you it is so much better then pads or tampons.

I use one and I love it as well.  However, I had to try a couple before I found one.  The Diva cup is the most popular I think, and it comes in two sizes.  Mine wasn't comfortable, so I tried La Luna (stem cut off) and it works really well- very comfortable.

I am trying the Lunette for the first time today. I find the stem to be bothersome so I turned it inside out. Should I trim it instead?

Do you wear a backup pad with a cup? I'd really, 100% rather NOT use a pad. (Even my comfy cloth ones.)

I used a Diva and couldn't make it comfortable so I switched to The Keeper and it worked very well until I had an ablation and no more periods.  I absolutely recommend these and would encourage anyone not to give up if one type/brand does not work well.  Try another.  I'm so glad I did.  :)

I love mine.  I take it out every time I am in the bathroom, but lose a lot of blood, so generally I need to take it out to empty it.  

But, with super-plus tampons and maxipads I often had to go to the bathroom extra times to change them.  

I don't usually wear a pad if I have the cup in.  

I trimmed my stem.  I didn't like turning it inside out because I find the ridges on the sides helpful.  

I, too, wish I known about this earlier. 

I am trying the Lunette for the first time today. I find the stem to be bothersome so I turned it inside out. Should I trim it instead?

Do you wear a backup pad with a cup? I'd really, 100% rather NOT use a pad. (Even my comfy cloth ones.)

I never ever wear a backup pad. Thats not to say there's never ever a spot o' blood on my underwear, but nothing major.

I only wear a back-up pad if I am going to taekwondo and it is imperative that I not bleed all over my white uniform and I am doing kicks and moves that may shift things and cause leakage.  Usually it's all fine, but occasionally I have an issue.

I've had one for 8-9 years, and it's one of the best decisions I've made. Thanks Internet. Even dh loves it. 

Some people use backup pads the first day or two because their flow is unusually heavy, but most people do not need it. 

It's so convenient if I don't have cramping I often forget I'm having my period. 

Before I bought one I tried out Instead, a disposable menstrual cup that was available at Walmart at the time. It was a bit wider and more difficult to remove than the Diva but it gave me courage to move on to something better. 

I just could never figure out the Diva.  Not sure how much was user error versus anatomy.  I have had success with the Instead Softcup which I have been using for about a year now.   

Any thoughts on which brand would be best for a tween or teen to try?  

I've used a Diva cup for 5-6 years. I have odd periods. A light day, two days of flooding, then a few more light days. I use it on the light days since my heavy days are just impossible and I go with a tampon/pad combo. I did manage to get snowed in and find that dd had used ALL the supplies. The diva cup saved me :-)

Another Diva user who will never ever ever go back.  I do use backup...I always tend to have a small bit of break through (usually the first couple hours till the seal is solid (although I may try to tip someone posted up thread).  I love that I only have to think about my period twice a day!  

I've been using the Diva for at least the last 5 yrs., probably more.

It is less messy and more comfortable than any other option I've ever used. There is a bit of a learning curve with getting it in and using it correctly, but it's not bad. I agree with the PP who said that it is better to remove it during a bowel movement. I also have significant pain using it for about 12 hrs. on day 2 and sometimes use an alternative instead, but that's probably just me.

I do also tend to have the same type of pain at a similar time frame...but it is still worth it for the other 5 days!

The Menstrual Cups livejournal (link) is a treasure trove of information.  Also - this sizechart (link) is an excellent starting place to finding your perfect fit.  From what I understand, leakage issues come from a poor seal or too small of a capacity.  A cup that doesn't seal more than likely doesn't fit right, or it could be too soft for the pelvic floor muscles and collapses too easily.  The cervix's position throughout your cycle can affect how much your cup will hold, as well as how comfortable the cup feels, so that's something to consider as well.

I personally use a Meluna Medium for light days, and a Large for heavy days.  I can get away with changing the medium once in the morning and before bed, and the large I change about three times a day.  I very rarely leak, and usually that's in the process of getting out of bed early in the morning on my heavy flow days - a combination of my cup overflowing plus awkward sleeping positions weakening the seal, and oh, I dunno.. gravity when I stand up. I've perfected the teeth clenched, legs clamped together to the knees, speed shuffle to the bathroom, but it might be smarter to just go up another cup size.   :D

Are there some brands that are known to be better for heavier periods? I've thought about switching many times to cups, but always heard complaints of leakage. Now, that we are back on our sailboat, I'd rather not deal with tampons (that I cannot flush down our marine toilet) and pads.

Are there some brands that are known to be better for heavier periods? I've thought about switching many times to cups, but always heard complaints of leakage. Now, that we are back on our sailboat, I'd rather not deal with tampons (that I cannot flush down our marine toilet) and pads.

The size chart linked in my previous post also lists different cup brands and their sizes by their capacities.  It's further down on the page, after the Name Chart.  Tampon capacities are also included on that list as a point of reference, if that helps at all.

I've been happy with the Diva and have very heavy periods.  I use the size for "Mothers or over 40" since I am both.  

I only use it for the heaviest 36 hours, though, because I have to dump it so often.  

Outside of that I use a cloth maxipad that I made.  Although I think I will be soon sewing some with a different design, based on cloth diapers with a stuffed inside.  My current ones are more like an All-in-one diaper.  But, I would like the inside of the pad to be a folded microfiber towel that I can just pull out for easy soaking and cleaning.   

Another Diva user. Love it! I also cut the stem off. I do use panty liners as back-up on days 2 & 3 and pads at night on those days. Nothing on the other days. On the lighter days, I can go all day without having to empty it. I would like to try something else when the Diva needs to be replaced. There are so many options out there now.

The size chart linked in my previous post also lists different cup brands and their sizes by their capacities.  It's further down on the page, after the Name Chart.  Tampon capacities are also included on that list as a point of reference, if that helps at all.

Perhaps, I am looking in the wrong place, but all I see is a series of Q&A from users, sorted by keyword. Reading through the various topics, I am completely overwhelmed. So many brands and sizes. How does one even know where to start in choosing? And, it's not like these things are returnable if the fit isn't right. Isn't there a menstrual cup 101 video that can break it all down for newbs? And do you really have to go fussy around with your cervix to do this? 

Perhaps, I am looking in the wrong place, but all I see is a series of Q&A from users, sorted by keyword. Reading through the various topics, I am completely overwhelmed. So many brands and sizes. How does one even know where to start in choosing? And, it's not like these things are returnable if the fit isn't right. Isn't there a menstrual cup 101 video that can break it all down for newbs? And do you really have to go fussy around with your cervix to do this? 

Yikes!  Are you trying the second link I posted, http://sizecharts.livejournal.com/  ? The first link can be VERY confusing at first, but I found SO much useful information just by clicking one of the faq tags that addressed an area I was concerned about, and digging into whatever posts popped up.

The fussying around with your cervix is *ideally* the best place to start in determining what cup will work with your anatomy. The length is the most important measurement of the cup. If you have a very high cervix, you will need a longer cup, otherwise you might have a hard time removing a cup that's too short because it will eventually settle up around your cervix and be difficult to reach. On the other hand, if you pick a cup that's too long, it will feel like it's poking out, which is annoying and can be uncomfortable, especially when it comes to sitting down.   :eek:  

I found this video really helpful in understanding the whole cervix issue when I was first trying to figure out which cup to buy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qEaCn2w9Y4

When it comes to capacity, an Ultra size tampon will hold around 15-18ml. The majority of the cups, even at a size small, will hold more than that. So, depending on how often you change a tampon each day, you can get an estimate as to what cup capacity is good for you, which will help narrow down the brands and sizes. If you can get a "close enough" length, with a capacity that will allow you to empty it out two to three times a day, you should be good to go for a first cup. Using those guidelines, I found a cup that feels comfortable and works well on my first try. Now that I've been using it for a few years, I have a better idea of what I want with my next cups, but I needed that time to get over the learning curve of using one in the first place.

Doing lots of research should go a long way towards finding a cup that works well for you the first time, without dropping a lot of money on duds. This video does an excellent job (imo) at breaking down choosing your first cup:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G87oBd6rOw

Does that help at all, or did I just muddy the issue up even more?  :leaving:

Yikes!  Are you trying the second link I posted, http://sizecharts.livejournal.com/  ? The first link can be VERY confusing at first, but I found SO much useful information just by clicking one of the faq tags that addressed an area I was concerned about, and digging into whatever posts popped up.

The fussying around with your cervix is *ideally* the best place to start in determining what cup will work with your anatomy. The length is the most important measurement of the cup. If you have a very high cervix, you will need a longer cup, otherwise you might have a hard time removing a cup that's too short because it will eventually settle up around your cervix and be difficult to reach. On the other hand, if you pick a cup that's too long, it will feel like it's poking out, which is annoying and can be uncomfortable, especially when it comes to sitting down.   :eek:  

I found this video really helpful in understanding the whole cervix issue when I was first trying to figure out which cup to buy:  

When it comes to capacity, an Ultra size tampon will hold around 15-18ml. The majority of the cups, even at a size small, will hold more than that. So, depending on how often you change a tampon each day, you can get an estimate as to what cup capacity is good for you, which will help narrow down the brands and sizes. If you can get a "close enough" length, with a capacity that will allow you to empty it out two to three times a day, you should be good to go for a first cup. Using those guidelines, I found a cup that feels comfortable and works well on my first try. Now that I've been using it for a few years, I have a better idea of what I want with my next cups, but I needed that time to get over the learning curve of using one in the first place.

Doing lots of research should go a long way towards finding a cup that works well for you the first time, without dropping a lot of money on duds. This video does an excellent job (imo) at breaking down choosing your first cup:  

Thanks for the information. I've wanted to like mine (and it will work in a pinch), but it wasn't happening. I think this solved my problem if I decide to try another one.

I found this video really helpful in understanding the whole cervix issue when I was first trying to figure out which cup to buy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qEaCn2w9Y4

Doing lots of research should go a long way towards finding a cup that works well for you the first time, without dropping a lot of money on duds. This video does an excellent job (imo) at breaking down choosing your first cup:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G87oBd6rOw

This is very helpful information. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this. I was clicking on the wrong link before. 

I've used both Keeper & Diva, LOVED them both. Never needed backup protection, though I'd sometimes wear a liner or pad depending on the day's activities (or attire) just in case I didn't get things arranged quite right.

Haven't needed anything more than a panty liner since getting an IUD (Mirena), but will go back to a cup if I ditch the IUD before menopause.

I didn't often need to deal with public restrooms, emptying morning and bedtime was usually sufficient. If i did need to take care of it out & about, I'd grab a few paper towels (one slightly damp if possible) before going into the stall. Dump & replace the cup, then use the paper towels to wipe my hands enough to get put back together & out to the sink. Those little travel-packs of wet wipes would do the trick too. Remember to wash hands before getting in there too!