Menu

How old was your child when he/she stopped playing with...

moonlight

a toy kitchen?

My ds is almost 2 1/2 and we have one that works fine, but I really really really want to get him this one:

http://www.camdenrose.com/product/a_simple_hearth/31/?catID=99

I know I want it more than my ds does. He doesn't even know it exists! It is just so beautiful and I could eventually pass it down to my grandchildren..

That being said, I'm in major decluttering mode and am getting rid of A LOT of toys. I don't want to add something that will sit around after a month for another 20 years for grandkids! :-)

Be gentle. I really want the kitchen. Oh, and I have an issue with the weight of the kitchen. I have to bring it back in my luggage internationally.

Did your kids play with castles???

Thanks!

I think around age 5. It's been a while -- my kids are teens. 

I had a very nice  one similar to your picture without the high back. It would have been nice to keep it. I think originally I was going to keep it. But really, all this stuff gets to be too much stuff. Even nice looking well made stuff is just stuff. So, I gave it to a neighbor with younger children. I'm glad it was nicely made and looked  than a plastic one during the years we had it. I'm also glad I did not keep it. 

If I had already had a serviceable toy kitchen I would not have "upgraded". My kids would not have enjoyed something that suited my tastes better. 

We do have a few toys we are keeping. They are nice toys that can be boxed into a small space for storage. 

My kids got theirs at age 2 and played with it regularly at least until age 5.  Around age 6 I got rid of it (it took a lot of space) because they were old enough do most things in the real kitchen.  One of them was kind of bummed to see it go, but it really had lost most of its play value at that point.

I am getting rid of ours during my current decluttering spree. My youngest kids are 5.5, but really, the kitchen has never been a popular plaything here. They like to play with the food and pots and pans for picnic or tea party or with play doh, but they have never "cooked" in the kitchen. Go figure. 

I think it often depends on the birth order of the children. My older kids played with preschool-type toys for much longer than the younger ones, because there were younger ones around that were also interested. 

This weekend I am getting rid of a lot of toys that my older ds would have played with much past 6 years old, but my 6 yo is interested in "big kid" stuff because it is around.

None of mine played with it past age 4. They all wanted to work in the real kitchen with me.

If I were in your situation, especially facing shipping weight issues, I might stick with the one I had for now and indulge in a Cadillac model down the road for my grandchildren.

DD still plays with hers.  She makes up menus and has tea parties for the dolls, us and the dogs.  

If I were you, I wouldn't spend extra money on it. You might not even be able to pass it on to your grandkids.  It could get broken during the shipping back, crack when disassembling/reassembling or destroyed by fire or bugs.  What about when you are a grandparent, buy the kitchen then. 

My almost-4yo plays with hers regularly. We got the ikea one, which isn't quite as gorgeous but a lot more cost effective. We bought it just after she turned one and it has been quite a good investment for us, along with a selection of Melissa and Doug foods, especially the cutting foods sets.

I am getting rid of ours during my current decluttering spree. My youngest kids are 5.5, but really, the kitchen has never been a popular plaything here. They like to play with the food and pots and pans for picnic or tea party or with play doh, but they have never "cooked" in the kitchen. Go figure.

Yep, same here. We have a very nice, preschool quality, wood kitchen. The kids never really played with it.

On the other hand, they still play frequently with their Thomas trains. They were by far our best toy investment.

My youngest dd is 8, turning 9 in about 6 wks. We just did a major declutter (as in last 3 weeks) & gave away the kitchen as she either cooks in the kitchen for real or uses the American Girl sized one (from Target or somewhere) for the dolls. Her toy kitchen got a lot of use past the age 2 1/2. My oldest ds played with the kitchen until 5ish. Middle 2 kids played w/ kitchen until 7/6ish. So, all of mine were different but all enjoyed the kitchen past the age of 2.

I forgot to answer the second question.  Castles!  I got my kids the Melissa & Doug wooden castle around age 5, mainly to absorb the overflow of princess dolls & stuff from the dollhouse.  It was a hit.  My kids are now 7 and they play with it all the time.  That said, my kids weren't really into the dollhouse type toy until they were around 3.

My son is 5 and while he helps in the real kitchen all the time he still plays with his toy kitchen.  His toy kitchen is actually in our kitchen.  He frequently "duplicates" whatever is being made in the kitchen on his own toy kitchen. 

Still, I would be unlikely to upgrade on something like this.  You have 1-4ish more years with it tops.  And then storing it for two decades or more? 

DD played with the kitchen until 6, maybe? Not sure. DS1 never played with it much. DS2 played with it a little, I think, but he's been playing with it more recently (he's 5) because DS3 (2yrs. 8 mos.) has decided that the kitchen is super cool. DS3 plays with the kitchen frequently; every time I go to make dinner, DS3 runs off and bangs around on the play kitchen and brings me pots of watermelon, egg, and bread to sample.

I don't think I'd upgrade at this point, though.

My 9 and 7 year olds were playing with theirs this weekend when a friend brought her 4 year old over.  

I think it is worth the investment if you know your child will enjoy playing with that type of toy (some just don't like kitchens).  My youngest played with hers almost daily through 1st grade and now plays with it once or twice a week (and her friends always play with it when they come over.

We do have a few toys we are keeping. They are nice toys that can be boxed into a small space for storage. 

I like this reminder,

"Nice toys that can be boxed into a small space for storage"

This is probably why my Legos made it to adulthood but my Little People playsets did not. (Only sentiment explains the dollhouses my dad made for us though)

My kids got theirs at age 2 and played with it regularly at least until age 5.  Around age 6 I got rid of it (it took a lot of space) because they were old enough do most things in the real kitchen.  One of them was kind of bummed to see it go, but it really had lost most of its play value at that point.

This was our experience as well. By the time I got rid of it, it was mostly being used as random storage by my cubby-, bag-, and tiny container-addict and very rarely as a kitchen. In your shoes, especially given the transportation issues, I wouldn't invest in a new one...even a beautiful new one!

My 5yo plays with it still, but my 7yo not really,  unless it's to push it away from the wall, add other bits of furniture to it, and call it a space ship or an airplane or... 

That is a very pretty kitchen, but I know about hauling luggage internationally and I personally do not like that kitchen enough more than the ikea kitchen to make it worth the trouble. 

Also, part of my decluttering efforts did involve buying new toys!  Part of decluttering is about making your home beautiful, and a number of plastic or junky toys were swapped for beautiful wood ones.  I don't regret that at all!  So do keep that in mind.