Menu

Why do people plan to stop HS in high school?

summerreading

The main reason I see is that if you homeschool ninth grade, then you generally can't put your child in public school for tenth grade. They would have to start over in ninth grade because the school isn't going to give them credits for the work done at home. People are worried about limiting their options. 

That said, two of my kids are currently in high school, and I am still homeschooling them. We do outsource with online classes, tutors, co-ops, etc. 

I hear that a lot.  But, what many families in our area have found is that, if they treat the school as one more provider of educational content rather than the controller of the diploma, they had more flexibility.  One mom around here had to put her 10th grader into high school.  She still considered herself a homeschooler (I think she did one subject at home) for record-keeping purposes.  She did not seek a diploma from the high school.  She kept those homeschool credits and used the classes taken at the high school to finish out his high school years.  She issued the diploma and final transcript.  Now, this would only work if you had a high school that would allow students to go part time. 

In our case, my daughter may choose to attend our local high school part-time.  I will issue the full transcript, but will have to have the high school (and probably the local college) to send their transcripts to back up what mine says. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely agree that sometimes homeschooling through high school can be the best option.  It certainly isn't the wrong idea in every situation and I think parents CAN teach high school well.

BUT, it's also true that some things are VERY hard to teach at home.  Science and math are the two that come up most.  It's very very difficult to set up a full chemistry lab at home with proper safety equipment.  You can probably do enough for a child who isn't interested in studying science in college, but a kid big into science is going to need more.  

Same with math.  I know some very intelligent, math-minded people but very few of them would be capable of teaching themselves calculus from a book.

Yes, chemistry and calculus can certainly wait for college if that's what is best for the family, but I don't think you can say ANY high school course could be done well at home.

:iagree:  The parents I personally know IRL who have had the most apparent "success" in hsing through high school were those who:

1) Had themselves or dh had advanced math and/or science degrees

and/or

2) Were very effective, energetic parents who relentlessly sought good options for their kids to get skills/classes/sports/activities they couldn't otherwise provide. 

For my own self- I am weak at math. Okay, I suck at it. I've been in college math classes (recently), worked diligently through them and earned 2 A's and a B in the classes. But it leaves my mind days after I stop practicing whatever it is. And some aspects of math, I always dread, even when I was diligently working through them with a patient professor. (Matricies? Why?) I already feel like I'm hampering ds14's progress in math because, though he works on his math himself, sometimes he doesn't understand and where does that leave me? Leafing through the manual, trying to resuscitate some knowledge of how you free that x or whatever. Dd, at private school, is humming along nicely in math, though she is no math aficionado, either. There is not a chance that she would be moving along at a normal pace if she had remained at home. We were trapped in Algebra 1 for 2 years! She needed someone who fully and competently understood the subject matter so she could learn it. Can some parents be that person? No doubt! Am I? No. 

If I lived where public schools were terrible and if private school was not at all affordable, then perhaps I would have muddled through and done the best I could do - I would have to make up in energy and effort what I lack in personal knowledge. Fortunately, this is not the case for me. The public school is rather good and the private school we chose is very good and affordable for us. Not easily affordable, of course, but it can be done. 

I do understand how reading this thread can add stress. If you're not homeschooling high school yet, and you feel like you're pushing your school limits already, it can't be pleasant to imagine that you're going to have to do 30-50 percent more work. For the record, I DID do that work for a semester. You do get used to it and adjust. However, if you're in he habit of taking off days at a whim . . . Or calling December a wash because mom needs to bake and shop, it can be very hard to stay on track. I'm sure this varies with geography too. I imagine some areas require much less effort to keep up with public school standards.

If it helps, my daughter entered high school during the second semester of 9th grade. I had no trouble getting them to take her "mommy credits." The grades she received the second semester from the school were nearly identical to those I gave her first semester. She was more than ready to jump in even though she'd never gone to school in her life. I always knew what the schools were teaching and made sure she could AT LEAST do that much. I think homeschooling high school is a good option if mom is capable of getting high school level work out of her child. I don't believe that every, or even most, teenagers do their best work through self-directed study. I'll be facing 9th grade again with my son in two years, so we are in both worlds and I see the pros and cons of each.

As for the subjects that are harder to teach at home, we outsourced a lot of science labs and my husband is a mathematician. I do have friends with impressive home labs, but it's VERY expensive and there are so many experiments that you do once then move on. We went the cc route with my daughter, but it was expensive, time consuming, and involved a car ride to a neighboring town. Still, I much preferred to have someone else set up the experiments. Gathering supplies for experiments has always been my Most Hated Task. The labs at the local high school are just as nice as some at my old university and light years ahead of my old high school's. I do live in a town that is disproportionately populated with engineers so the STEM expectations are up there. In my particular situation, public school is MUCH cheaper than homeschooling high school.

I am very hesitant to judge a school based on test scores alone. Lower average scores don't always mean that a higher level of education isn't available. It often means that a larger percentage of the students aren't taking advantage of the education they are given. It can mean that the school serves a population with a great deal of educational or economic diversity. If you live in a wealthy town where the parents are educated, or at least very involved, the odds of getting students who value education are greater. If you have a higher population of at-risk families or students, then the overall test scores are lower. Those averaged test scores don't always reflect how a motivated student with family support will actually perform. I'm convinced that you could drop the exact same classes and teachers into different regions of the country and see vastly different test scores because the schools themselves are only part of the equation.

Personally, I'm so glad we have the option to choose an education that works for each child. I'm not sure WHAT my next move in life would be if both kids were in school. We're way too attached to our homeschooling community to give it up cold turkey!

I am very hesitant to judge a school based on test scores alone. Lower average scores don't always mean that a higher level of education isn't available. It often means that a larger percentage of the students aren't taking advantage of the education they are given. It can mean that the school serves a population with a great deal of educational or economic diversity. If you live in a wealthy town where the parents are educated, or at least very involved, the odds of getting students who value education are greater. If you have a higher population of at-risk families or students, then the overall test scores are lower.

I completely agree with this. It annoys me in this state (Maryland) that folks will say, "Oh, So-And-So public high school is the best in the country!" BUT 90% of the population are children of highly educated professionals. It would makes sense that those children will score better and the school's graduation rates are higher if the demographic itself is made up of intelligent people who have fulfilled - shall we say - all of Maslow's needs? 

Although I will also say I realize this state does have opportunity that some states don't and there are such things as very poorly performing schools. So - not to discount that concern when it is a real concern. 

Most of our local homeschooling friends have sent all or some of their teens to the classroom for one or more of these reasons:

• Conflict between mom and the teen that was interfering with school.

This was our reason. Ds1 saw me as an adversary rather than a teacher/facilitator when we homeschooled him. He needed me to just be mom, not teacher also. It was very hard for him. Once he was at school our relationship improved. He didn't love going away to school but it helped our family dynamic overall.

Mrs Mungo mentioned earlier that generally high schools start all kids at 9th grade. In our area it is possible to start later--I know a couple kids who started in 10th and one who started in 11th--but the district has to approve it and the kid still has to pass the EOCT's from the earlier grades. So while it has been done, it's not very common to enter ps after 9th. Part-time enrollment isn't allowed in our state.

And for all, if you're not already a member of the yahoo group HS2Coll you might consider joining. It's for families that are committed to homeschooling high school and getting their kids into college.

But I don't think that if you meet the basics and that meets the needs of your child that you should feel guilty for not providing the cadillac of homeschool science educations.  

My hubby and I received different quality of education even though we were educated in the same country. We were "comparing notes" and one of the things I enjoyed immensely in my middle and high school sciences was the team competitions at regional and national levels. It was the camaraderie rather than the winning. My schools' PTA paid for all the expenses so my parents wasn't out a cent.  My kids are interested in FLL and it looks like I might just register both my boys as a team.

I don't feel guilty that my kid's education opportunities may not be as "wonderful" as mine but I can't help feeling "shortchanged" here in terms of education overall. It is a feeling that is hard to explain.

Between my kids interest in ROV and rocketry, I'm just thankful we are near enough to NASA AMES (rocketry), LANL (rocketry) and Monterey's MATE (ROV) to hopefully take advantage of their resources.

I completely agree with this. It annoys me in this state (Maryland) that folks will say, "Oh, So-And-So public high school is the best in the country!" BUT 90% of the population are children of highly educated professionals. It would makes sense that those children will score better and the school's graduation rates are higher if the demographic itself is made up of intelligent people who have fulfilled - shall we say - all of Maslow's needs? 

Although I will also say I realize this state does have opportunity that some states don't and there are such things as very poorly performing schools. So - not to discount that concern when it is a real concern.

It's a pet peeve of mine that I just never hear discussed. It's like judging the number of horses who managed to drink the water rather than the quality of the water itself. Granted, some school districts have Evian and some have mud, but that's a completely separate issue.

as I said in my last post, it's always disappointing to see how often people insist that homeschooling isn't really a great option.

Homeschooling is a fine option *IF* the parent is able to teach the subject well. I don't think the kid trying to teach himself/herself out of a book with the parent not able to help him/her if there are questions is the optimal way to learn. I'm bumping into that situation already with my oldest and she's only in middle school.

Time for this parent of a now senior in college to chime in.  (Wow, does time fly!)

My son has absolutely no regrets about his homeschooling.  In fact, it was because we homeschooled that he had one of his best opportunities as a high school student.  A call went out from a local historic site for volunteers during his junior year. There was going to be an intensive one week archaeological dig and they needed bodies to push wheelbarrows. Because of his chemistry schedule at the community college (dual enrollment--yeah, I didn't even attempt that one!), he could only be on site for two days.  But those two days changed his life.  An archaeologist who works for the state took him under his wing and made sure that he had brush time as well as wheelbarrow pushing time.  That archaeologist gave him a recommendation to volunteer at a college field school which would be at the same site a few weeks later.  One week at the college field school blossomed into three weeks, a wonderful essay for his college apps and yet another great letter of recommendation.

None of this would have been possible had my son attended the local public high school.

Yes, the local public high school offers some AP classes. I can look at the College Board's ledger to see what is offered. But what is not reported is that few students taking the Calculus or science APs achieve a score of 3--and that many colleges do not give credit unless the AP score is a 4 or 5. 

The counseling service provided at the local high school does not seem to see past the local CC or a few of the state unis. My son attends a private LAC in another region of the country (with a generous merit scholarship).  Whether or not I was homeschooling, I would have worn the counselor hat. 

I think the key to a successful homeschooling experience in high school does require having a motivated student as well as a parent who can recognize limitations.  Be fearless or at least pretend you are. And tune in to the high school and college boards here at TWTM forums. Great wisdom and hand holding to be found there.

Well, with my oldest, it was necessary to preserve our relationship. He's now 22 and we have a good relationship. Mission accomplished! :)

My middle son asked to go to high school when he was in 8th grade and I felt it was important for him to make the decision. High school was a great experience for him, but oh was I sad to see him go. He is now in his first year of college.

My daughter is a sophomore and dyslexic. I feel homeschool is the very best place for her all the way through. Fortunately for me, she is quite content here, so I will continue with her until she graduates.

My hubby and I received different quality of education even though we were educated in the same country. We were "comparing notes" and one of the things I enjoyed immensely in my middle and high school sciences was the team competitions at regional and national levels. It was the camaraderie rather than the winning. My schools' PTA paid for all the expenses so my parents wasn't out a cent.  My kids are interested in FLL and it looks like I might just register both my boys as a team.

I don't feel guilty that my kid's education opportunities may not be as "wonderful" as mine but I can't help feeling "shortchanged" here in terms of education overall. It is a feeling that is hard to explain.

Between my kids interest in ROV and rocketry, I'm just thankful we are near enough to NASA AMES (rocketry), LANL (rocketry) and Monterey's MATE (ROV) to hopefully take advantage of their resources.

I've come to grips with the fact that homeschooling in particular is an individualized "sport".  That is both its strength and its weakness.  I, personally, cannot provide something that is better than the local schools in all aspects.  But for those things I'm lacking in, I try to provide alternatives (tutors, online classes etc.) that provide something that is as good as, if not better than what I could get otherwise.  Some things can't be compared because they are just different - not better or worse.  And some things I provide but my kids just don't do that extra required to take full advantage of it.  

I struggle with all of this stuff because my perfectionism gets a real workout when it comes to homeschooling high school.  This is where the "ideal" just can't meet up with my resources:  financial, mental or energy.  And I have to somehow be ok with that or I would go absolutely batty!  

One of my son's friends was on a homeschool team that won a MATE international competition.  Resources are one thing, good coaches another. 

The kids who do well in these competitions are driven internally.  I am not sure if it even matters whether they come from B&M schools or homeschools.

I'm just wondering since I hear this so much. Parents plan to homeschool through middle school and then send them to high school.

I can imagine the social needs get more complex at this point. Is this the biggest reason?

I think a lot of people are worried about having "official" transcripts, a lot are intimidated by the level of the subjects, a lot feel unable to meet the variety of subjects they think a high schooler needs, and a lot think that teens need lots of other teen socialization that can only be had at public school. I'm sure there are other reasons, but those seem to be the ones that come up over and over again on the forums.

For us, we've always been a "take it year-to-year" family, but when it came to high school, I said to ds that if we decide to homeschool high school then that would be a 4-year commitment -- no flip-flopping at all!  But, if he decided on public school, then it would be a year-to-year commitment and he could come back to homeschool, but once back in homeschool there was more no flip-flopping after that.

He didn't hesitate to say that he had no intention whatsoever of entertaining the notion of going to public school.  So... high school all the way.

Now... that's not to say that I am not intimidated by the prospect of homeschooling grades 9-12, but I'm willing to do it nonetheless. 

Resources are one thing, good coaches another. 

The kids who do well in these competitions are driven internally.  I am not sure if it even matters whether they come from B&M schools or homeschools.

I do very much agree with the good coaches/mentors and how internally driven the kids are. I don't think it matters whether the teams comes from public, private or homeschools but I do think that people (in general) do have higher expectations of teams from schools that have produced winning teams.  I'm not implying that the judges are partial when it comes to giving points.

There is a group for getting people interested in FLL together that I have not check out. My younger is also going for LD testing this month.  I'm just taking it one step at a time :)

I don't see this thread as being a negative about homeschooling high school so much as it's that some of us are admitting that we recognize our own limitations. And of course individual kids' abilities (and ambitions) have to be considered versus the parents' abilities. And finances come into play.

---

There's a lot to consider, and I really don't think anyone is in any way saying that homeschooling high school is a bad thing in general.

This is what I was thinking as I read through... Recognizing my own limitations. You see, I have no earthly desire to set up a chem lab in my kitchen, nor to fight DS over writing for seven more years, LOL. (And unfortunately, there just aren't great options for coops and not a ton of homeschoolers anyway in our area.) And knowing I don't have that deep drive, and the fact that at least at this point he is not at all self motivated, I don't think it would be the right choice to keep him home.

Plus, there's the fact that we are lucky enough to have a pretty good public school option, as well as a couple of good private schools.... And only one child who will need tuition money! Are any of the options perfect? Heck no. But we are going to choose the best option for DS... I'm just pretty sure that here, that won't be homeschooling. I admire others who can do it well, but it's not what we think is right for our family.

However, if you're in he habit of taking off days at a whim . . .

I am very hesitant to judge a school based on test scores alone...

I'm convinced that you could drop the exact same classes and teachers into different regions of the country and see vastly different test scores because the schools themselves are only part of the equation.

We certainly took several days off on whims - that's one of the things I absolutely loved about homeschooling - few ties to any sort of schedule.  Now, with youngest in ps, to take a day off on a whim requires checking his schedule to be sure he's not missing anything deemed too important.

When one is in high school, if heading to college, it's nice to be able to take days off on whims to visit various colleges.  We also took plenty off to have "family days," esp if the weather was great.  Granted, the work load is still the same, but with homeschooling, that can be "caught up" on weekends, evenings, and "snow" days.

Couple test scores with socio-economic data and you ought to have a good idea about a school.  Where I, personally, went it was in a POOR very small city (roughly 14K people).  It probably had a little less wealth than where I'm at now (teaching).  Yet the school I went to had test scores that put it second highest (public) in the state.  Not everyone had those scores, of course, but they sorted out kids with academic talent by 6th or 7th grade and sent us on with plenty of challenges. When I went to college, I found the academic transition to be quite easy - rather important for freshman year with all the "other" things going on. There are kids in my class - literally - in my classes - who are now doctors at places like Yale, professors at UCs, top notch lawyers and similar.  Considering I graduated second in my class, I'll admit I've been a disappointment to the school since I decided to stay home with my kids and just sub at school rather than continuing toward space sciences like my degree was aimed at.  FTR, I have no regrets, but where I've ended up certainly wasn't a fault of the school.  It was my choice.

Compare that to where I work.  Teachers?  Most are local - went through schools in the local area and went to one of the local feeder teacher colleges.  They've never seen a good school at work and are convinced that "we don't have that kind of kid here" - or that they are really rare.  The content of the classes is minimal at best.  Movies are commonly shown in schools - and not necessarily educational movies, but things like Finding Nemo or Billy Madison.  Talented academic kids literally never need to study and are never challenged.  I brought home a World History 10th grade final exam for mine to try one time (before they had the class) and they only missed a couple of questions. This was the class final.  Some questions were things like, "Who was Hitler."  Top kids do well grade-wise (important to keep parents happy), but they do not have the foundation needed to easily succeed.  There are a few (as in one or two per year) who do things outside of school in order to push themselves, but that's rare as most don't realize they need to do those things.  Test scores match national averages or a little lower.  Many who head off to college test into remedial classes - even if they had As in Calc, etc.

Sorry, but you can't take these teachers and plop them down in a different school and get different results.  For the most part, the TEACHERS don't have a concept of how to do more as they never did it themselves or have seen it done.  (I've had plenty of friendly discussions with teachers about the differences in schools - and none of it has changed a thing at this school as it's the system here that dictates what happens.  They do find the differences interesting in most cases.)  It's a vicious cycle.

It's when I realized that change just is never going to happen, that we decided to homeschool high school.  For middle son this was extremely important as he is one of those top 1% kids.  At our ps he never would have had a decent foundation.  He'd have had as high of a GPA as our school offers and tons of good Letters of Recommendation, but the foundation would have been severely lacking.  He's at a Top 30 college and has told me many times he's really glad we homeschooled as he's felt super prepared - and has a 3.98GPA after having tackled many tough "weeder" classes for pre-med (including Orgo).  It wouldn't have been good if he'd tested into remedial classes due to not having much content in his high school Calc class (or Pre-Calc, or Alg, or Geom, etc).  Granted, his gym class likely would have been better than what we had at home and he'd have loved to have stayed active in Orchestra, but one can't have it all.

ps  When middle son came home (7th grade), I found out he didn't know how to do fractions without a calculator.  Why?  They were told they would never need to do them without a calculator, so weren't taught otherwise.  That "fact" sure breaks down when one hits Algebra and needs to use variables rather than numbers.  It took the lad all of 2 days to learn everything needed about doing fractions.  Is there any reason it shouldn't have been taught to a top notch academic kid?  No. 

Time for this parent of a now senior in college to chime in.  (Wow, does time fly!)

My son has absolutely no regrets about his homeschooling.  In fact, it was because we homeschooled that he had one of his best opportunities as a high school student.  A call went out from a local historic site for volunteers during his junior year. There was going to be an intensive one week archaeological dig and they needed bodies to push wheelbarrows. Because of his chemistry schedule at the community college (dual enrollment--yeah, I didn't even attempt that one!), he could only be on site for two days.  But those two days changed his life.  An archaeologist who works for the state took him under his wing and made sure that he had brush time as well as wheelbarrow pushing time.  That archaeologist gave him a recommendation to volunteer at a college field school which would be at the same site a few weeks later.  One week at the college field school blossomed into three weeks, a wonderful essay for his college apps and yet another great letter of recommendation.

None of this would have been possible had my son attended the local public high school.

Yes, the local public high school offers some AP classes. I can look at the College Board's ledger to see what is offered. But what is not reported is that few students taking the Calculus or science APs achieve a score of 3--and that many colleges do not give credit unless the AP score is a 4 or 5. 

The counseling service provided at the local high school does not seem to see past the local CC or a few of the state unis. My son attends a private LAC in another region of the country (with a generous merit scholarship).  Whether or not I was homeschooling, I would have worn the counselor hat. 

I think the key to a successful homeschooling experience in high school does require having a motivated student as well as a parent who can recognize limitations.  Be fearless or at least pretend you are. And tune in to the high school and college boards here at TWTM forums. Great wisdom and hand holding to be found there.

My guys have had many opportunities to do things during normal school days.  It's one of the BIG pluses to homeschooling high school IMO.

And yes, I've been the GC to both of my homeschooling kids AND my ps kid as far as finding a "best fit" college for what they wanted to do.  Our school had never heard of the school youngest is planning to attend - yet it's a top school for Marine Sciences - perhaps THE top school by some accountings.

When middle son was looking for colleges, I asked for recommendations at our GC and was given some that were WAY below his capability.  Later, when asked where he applied they were astounded at one of the state schools he was using as a safety.  "Using ____ as a safety?  I've never heard of a student doing that before!)  It's just a different level of thinking.  (And his safety was exactly that - a school where he was admitted and had enough merit aid to make it affordable - most from our school don't begin to hit the merit aid minimum with test scores.)

This past Christmas break middle son got to talk with one of his close peers - both pre-med.  That peer had high test scores for our school, but far below my guy's (and they are both academically talented at a similar level).  His peer would never have gotten accepted at middle son's school (got rejected from other similar level schools.)  He ended up at a different school - a bit lower in caliber.  He's doing well and will be successful, but is also fairly jealous at all the opportunities my guy has...  He's involved with "something," but freely admitted that it wasn't something he was interested in - it's just the only offering at his school.  My guy has oodles of options and has been taking advantage of them.

It never would have happened had I not worked in the school as I never would have known about the inner workings and lack of foundation.  I would have assumed the school was "good" and that my guy (getting all As, after all,) was living up to his potential.

Everyone definitely needs to pick their own best option, but it's certainly not always the "good" school in our area.  It varies by the student, school, and family.

The rigor of the academics coupled with the need to have dc answer to someone else and life stresses for me are the reasons I chose high school for dc.  We live in a small town community with little resources. 

This is so interesting to me.  I too live in a small town community with little resources.  There was a young man a few years older than my son whose mother repeatedly told me how she had to visit the high school weekly to advocate for her kid. The high school did not offer courses sufficiently rigorous for this guy who had a future in Ivies or almost Ivies.  He ended up taking several online classes through the NC Virtual Public School.  Community college classes with their two day a week schedule did not fit into a high school block system easily.

I looked at this and thought that despite whatever headaches homeschooling would bring, I would rather spend my time educating my son than fighting the system.  The woman whose son I mentioned thought I was nuts to homeschool. She felt that regular school visits to bang heads with teachers and principals was just a part of life.

I wonder how much of the decision to homeschool high school is based on personality type. 

I wonder how much of the decision to homeschool high school is based on personality type. 

I suspect this is it.

My youngest - heading toward Marine Bio, couldn't take a course on that in his public school, but my oldest (not the least bit interested in Marine Bio) chose it as one of his science credits with homeschooling.

Middle son had a 200 level cc Microbio course as one of his homeschooled high school science credits.  He would not have been able to take any Microbio at our local public school.  (The one I went to had it offered - it was one of my favorite courses senior year.)

Rigor of academics at small town schools really needs to be investigated.  I went to a small town school with great rigor.  I work at one where rigor is definitely lacking.

But personality and how one looks at it all is probably the main decider for most.  (That said, if the school where I work were remotely equal to the one I went to, mine would all have been in ps, so who knows?)

For me, although I'd prefer to homeschool through highschool my son does not prefer that. And by the time they are a teen many parents believe the student should get more control of their education. My son will be 15 when he starts highschool, and I can't see controlling him in the same way I did when he was 5. So some of it may be just parents relinquishing some control. 

Also, many parents homeschool to shelter/protect young children but by the teen years feel the student is mature enough to handle themselves better. 

Finally, sometimes teens get into a....phase? mindset? Where ever thing becomes a battle between teen and parent, and taking school out of that battle helps the student to do better academically. 

Just some thoughts. 

Like I said, I'd prefer he stay home for highschool, but public school is going to be our path. 

For me, although I'd prefer to homeschool through highschool my son does not prefer that. And by the time they are a teen many parents believe the student should get more control of their education.

Like I said, I'd prefer he stay home for highschool, but public school is going to be our path. 

And this is why my youngest is in our local public high school.  There are my wishes and then there are his.  As a teen, these things do need to be factored in.  He was getting depressed homeschooling since it didn't "fit" him.

I will freely add that his academic foundation has definitely suffered though.  He's in the top group at his school, but when the bar is set low, there's only so high one can go when compared nationally.  He won't do more outside of school.  I worry about how he will do in college next year.  Fortunately, he never had his heart set on top schools or he'd have been out of luck.  Yet he's just as talented academically as my other two - probably more in some ways.

Autumn wants to come home again for high school (she is currently in a private school for the next 2 years, through grade 8). MY concern is the same as some others have voiced - not all high schools will allow "mommy credits" to transfer in, from what I've heard, and that's scary. What if, for some reason, homeschooling doesn't work well for her? Would she be forced, as a junior (say), to transfer in as a freshman?

We certainly took several days off on whims - that's one of the things I absolutely loved about homeschooling - few ties to any sort of schedule. Now, with youngest in ps, to take a day off on a whim requires checking his schedule to be sure he's not missing anything deemed too important.

When one is in high school, if heading to college, it's nice to be able to take days off on whims to visit various colleges. We also took plenty off to have "family days," esp if the weather was great. Granted, the work load is still the same, but with homeschooling, that can be "caught up" on weekends, evenings, and "snow" days.

Couple test scores with socio-economic data and you ought to have a good idea about a school. Where I, personally, went it was in a POOR very small city (roughly 14K people). It probably had a little less wealth than where I'm at now (teaching). Yet the school I went to had test scores that put it second highest (public) in the state. Not everyone had those scores, of course, but they sorted out kids with academic talent by 6th or 7th grade and sent us on with plenty of challenges. When I went to college, I found the academic transition to be quite easy - rather important for freshman year with all the "other" things going on. There are kids in my class - literally - in my classes - who are now doctors at places like Yale, professors at UCs, top notch lawyers and similar. Considering I graduated second in my class, I'll admit I've been a disappointment to the school since I decided to stay home with my kids and just sub at school rather than continuing toward space sciences like my degree was aimed at. FTR, I have no regrets, but where I've ended up certainly wasn't a fault of the school. It was my choice.

Compare that to where I work. Teachers? Most are local - went through schools in the local area and went to one of the local feeder teacher colleges. They've never seen a good school at work and are convinced that "we don't have that kind of kid here" - or that they are really rare. The content of the classes is minimal at best. Movies are commonly shown in schools - and not necessarily educational movies, but things like Finding Nemo or Billy Madison. Talented academic kids literally never need to study and are never challenged. I brought home a World History 10th grade final exam for mine to try one time (before they had the class) and they only missed a couple of questions. This was the class final. Some questions were things like, "Who was Hitler." Top kids do well grade-wise (important to keep parents happy), but they do not have the foundation needed to easily succeed. There are a few (as in one or two per year) who do things outside of school in order to push themselves, but that's rare as most don't realize they need to do those things. Test scores match national averages or a little lower. Many who head off to college test into remedial classes - even if they had As in Calc, etc.

Sorry, but you can't take these teachers and plop them down in a different school and get different results. For the most part, the TEACHERS don't have a concept of how to do more as they never did it themselves or have seen it done. (I've had plenty of friendly discussions with teachers about the differences in schools - and none of it has changed a thing at this school as it's the system here that dictates what happens. They do find the differences interesting in most cases.) It's a vicious cycle.

It's when I realized that change just is never going to happen, that we decided to homeschool high school. For middle son this was extremely important as he is one of those top 1% kids. At our ps he never would have had a decent foundation. He'd have had as high of a GPA as our school offers and tons of good Letters of Recommendation, but the foundation would have been severely lacking. He's at a Top 30 college and has told me many times he's really glad we homeschooled as he's felt super prepared - and has a 3.98GPA after having tackled many tough "weeder" classes for pre-med (including Orgo). It wouldn't have been good if he'd tested into remedial classes due to not having much content in his high school Calc class (or Pre-Calc, or Alg, or Geom, etc). Granted, his gym class likely would have been better than what we had at home and he'd have loved to have stayed active in Orchestra, but one can't have it all.

ps When middle son came home (7th grade), I found out he didn't know how to do fractions without a calculator. Why? They were told they would never need to do them without a calculator, so weren't taught otherwise. That "fact" sure breaks down when one hits Algebra and needs to use variables rather than numbers. It took the lad all of 2 days to learn everything needed about doing fractions. Is there any reason it shouldn't have been taught to a top notch academic kid? No.

My guys have had many opportunities to do things during normal school days. It's one of the BIG pluses to homeschooling high school IMO.

And yes, I've been the GC to both of my homeschooling kids AND my ps kid as far as finding a "best fit" college for what they wanted to do. Our school had never heard of the school youngest is planning to attend - yet it's a top school for Marine Sciences - perhaps THE top school by some accountings.

When middle son was looking for colleges, I asked for recommendations at our GC and was given some that were WAY below his capability. Later, when asked where he applied they were astounded at one of the state schools he was using as a safety. "Using ____ as a safety? I've never heard of a student doing that before!) It's just a different level of thinking. (And his safety was exactly that - a school where he was admitted and had enough merit aid to make it affordable - most from our school don't begin to hit the merit aid minimum with test scores.)

This past Christmas break middle son got to talk with one of his close peers - both pre-med. That peer had high test scores for our school, but far below my guy's (and they are both academically talented at a similar level). His peer would never have gotten accepted at middle son's school (got rejected from other similar level schools.) He ended up at a different school - a bit lower in caliber. He's doing well and will be successful, but is also fairly jealous at all the opportunities my guy has... He's involved with "something," but freely admitted that it wasn't something he was interested in - it's just the only offering at his school. My guy has oodles of options and has been taking advantage of them.

It never would have happened had I not worked in the school as I never would have known about the inner workings and lack of foundation. I would have assumed the school was "good" and that my guy (getting all As, after all,) was living up to his potential.

Everyone definitely needs to pick their own best option, but it's certainly not always the "good" school in our area. It varies by the student, school, and family.

I actually agree with you on every point. I love homeschooling and think there are some amazing and unique benefits to it. I agree that there ARE horrific schools and teachers that give meaningless grades and that a lot of parents never take the time to examine the curriculum if their kids' grades are decent.

I think homeschoolers who get the job done are awesome. I think schools that get the job done are awesome. What I take issue with is homeschoolers who never manage to squeeze more than a couple decent school days into their busy weeks and believe, and loudly preach, that ANY level of homeschooling will leave their child better off than a decent public or private school.

You can get away with short weeks for a very long time in homeschooling, but it takes time to earn all of those high school credits and get the equivalent or better than a good high school education at home. I like to believe that MOST high school homeschoolers are pulling it off. However, I think we all know families who are just 'too busy' for school and seem a bit delusional about it all. I know a homeschooling mother who went back to work and left her unmotivated teen home to teach herself because 'homeschooling is best.' That doesn't help the teen OR the homeschooling movement. That's just scary. I think people can get so married to the homeschooling lifestyle that they can't be objective about all of their options.

I completely agree with Jane. While I would have loved it if the local schools had been good, and I could have enrolled eldest ds in 9th grade (very anemic at the time...badly...I struggle with pernicious anemia so it can be brutal at times), the reality is that things have happened through homeschooling that NEVER would have been allowed due to attendance policies, and the strict, narrow parameters of PS.

For dd, this meant attending Space Camp during a time frame when NASA was offering discounts. It was during the school year, and our PS would not have allowed it. She won the Right Stuff Award, and received letters for recommendation from a NASA engineer. She spent two months during the school year on a reservation where my sister was teaching as part of a student loan forgiveness program. DD worked in the library completely re-organizing it (it was a mess), cataloging the contents (never done before), and tutoring K-3rd graders in reading as well as hosting book clubs. She was 14 at the time. It meant she went to Mexico to work on a medical mission with her grandmother (granny is now a retired professor of nursing) - again during the school year. There were other things too.

Ds is currently in a professional JAVA programmers group online. He's working on a coding project which he will submit to GM executives this spring in the hopes of being the first high school I.T. intern they have ever had. If he gets it, he'll start before school lets out...our PS would flip its lid if a parent suggested that a student miss a few classes in order to take advantage of such an opportunity. Their attendance policy is positively draconian. He's working towards professional certification, and he's taking a college class that is not on the approved dual enrollment list in our district - online from a university some distance from here.

Middle ds is being mentored by an MTU professor through a serious research project on butterfly populations in Michigan. He spends a lot of time online with this professor during the school day. He's also working on his DNR invasive species spotter's certification, and will be assisting a DNR officer this spring with some Great Lakes ecology conservation just as soon as the ice melts. He'll get afternoons off from school, and have to work on Saturdays, Sunday afternoons, or evenings in order to finish this year's assignments. Another thing that would make our local high school principal blow a gasket!

There are a lot of really good things, very good things, amazing things about homeschooling for high school for the committed, devoted, resourceful parent. I "see" of LOT of those kinds of parents on this board.

It's IRL and probably due to the local culture that I see mostly homeschool parents dropping the ball and miserably failing their kids thereby limiting their future options even more than the PS.

KungFu is right, some people become so obsessed with the homeschooling lifestyle that they do not stop to consider the possibility that maybe it isn't working for their child anymore, or for the family as a whole. This is what I see around me in this school district as well as the one bordering ours.

Faith

Ideally, we will outsource much of high school, dual enroll, and send our 18yo's off to college as Juniors.  That might get expensive though.  We may have to prioritize some things when the time comes.

I'm fairly confident that I can teach all the hs subjects, but x 3 big kids plus a little (who will be just starting her elementary years)....the amount of work required of me might kill me without outsourcing. 

Priority is always opening up opportunities.  I will have to see what opportunities are available when they are 14yo.  (only 3 years away for my oldest :blink: )

our PS would flip its lid if a parent suggested that a student miss a few classes in order to take advantage of such an opportunity. Their attendance policy is positively draconian.

We're fortunate that we have a high school that is not draconian about attendance and getting my guy out for trips and activities has been easy. However, there's a huge difference. When missing public school, the student, indeed, MISSES school and has to play catch up NOT getting whatever was done in class. When one takes time off while homeschooling, all the work, etc, is merely shifted to a more convenient time. The student "misses" nothing.

Also, if the student falls behind for any reason in public school (illness, daydreaming, or just plain 'not getting it'), too bad. The class continues on whether you are on board or not. It's not just grades that suffer, the actual learning suffers. In the opposite direction, if the student catches on to something or already knows it, they are slowed down waiting for the class to catch up. It can get really boring for many students.

While homeschooling, one can slow down, redo, or even speed up various sections to fit the student.

There are many, many things about homeschooling high school that I absolutely loved, and only a few things I feel my kids missed out on. The two who homeschooled certainly "did" better by society's academic standards. All have done just fine socially.

I don't know what we'll do, and I think that with four kids, there may be a mix of solutions.

It will also depend on where we live.  Where we are now, I'd do everything possible to avoid sending my kids to the local H.S.  I'd do the virtual school before I'd elect the local B&M school.  I'd hope we could afford a private school or even boarding school, should the kids desire--but who knows.

I'd like to think that I can handle the academics aspect of high school.  I'm more worried about giving four different kids "what they need", and managing four students when the time comes.  Hopefully, by then, I'll have things more sorted out. :)

Homeschooling is a fine option *IF* the parent is able to teach the subject well. I don't think the kid trying to teach himself/herself out of a book with the parent not able to help him/her if there are questions is the optimal way to learn. I'm bumping into that situation already with my oldest and she's only in middle school.

Well, I've felt that way for a while with my 7th grader. I've always called myself a facilitator and not a teacher. I outsource, we find answers together, we do out of the box schooling, etc.

I think the #1 ingredient needed to be successful homsechooling a high schooler is a willing parent. It also helps to have some extra finances available for out sourcing, supplies, more expensive curriculum, etc. I just think there is no one size fits all here. If sending your teen to high school works for whatever reason, I think that's great. There are many good reasons to make that choice. I think it's a mistake to assume that the majority of teachers at the high school level are enthusiastic experts that have all the answers. There are drawbacks and advantages to B&M high school. I've looked at the 30K private school locally and I'm not nearly impressed enough to consider spending 30K a year on it. There are clearly successful homeschoolers that have launched kids from high school on this board.

We live in a state that has free college for 2-3 years for qualified high schoolers and are within 10 miles of probably 5-8 college campuses. I know homeschooled kids as young as 8th grade taking community college classes. Both my DH and I have higher tech degrees. Expert taught opportunities are easy to find as are locally and focused, high quality extra curriculars outside the school system in my kid's particular interests. I honestly don't know if my 7th grader will want to go to high school, because I'm absolutely willing to consider that as an option. I just am not at all freaked out by homeschooling high school and don't feel like I'm going to be doing my kids a huge disservice if we do chose that route. I could be swayed either way and can see up and down sides to both approaches.

I do agree with the concern that keeps popping up here; that of many homeschoolers having very low expectations of their high schoolers.  In fact, that's probably the biggest reason I visit this board.  Rather than feeling like I'm super homeschool mom (like I do in our real-life group), I feel like I'm dropping the ball!  That challenge is good for me.  

To the original question, I posted my concerns because they really are the things that make me doubt myself.  Not to the extent that we're going back to school, just to the extent that I know these are the places where I really need to step it up!

At the moment, the biggest reason we're planning to homeschool high school is still that pesky 2e stuff.  

Buck is such a space cadet and our local school doesn't really believe in ADHD.  Instead there are kids who are hard workers and kids who are lazy.  I can't let my fragile 14 year old start thinking he's lazy.  "Space cadet" is fine, because spacing off is a state of mind that changes by the minute.  But "lazy" is a personality trait!  And in our part of the world, where a man you shake hands with that doesn't have calluses is suspect, "lazy" is about the worst label you can put on someone.  

Bright kids seem to do well in our school (Bean will probably be one of them), but not when it's coupled with ADHD.  

Those are the kids who are lucky to graduate...   :(

Back to this topic with a renewed heart. I asked my oldest kids yesterday if they had regrets about homeschooling. And both said they were pleased with their decisions. All of their friends go to different public schools and they are very aware of the differences in quality of educations. Dd1 needs time to do her sports and the flexibility of being able to do school anywhere and anytime.  She is convinced that she is getting a good education and worries over the burnout of her friends and their refusal to learn/read outside of schoolwork.

Ds1 said, "Well, a little late to worry, Mom." But he has tutored friends and hears their litany of hating school and parents who force them to do homework. Parent/teen problems don't disappear when kids go to school.  Ds1 said the biggest difference between going to school and homeschool was that he never felt trapped. He wanted to make a change, he did. Outside classes, sports, new job, he felt the freedom that life could bring makes him excited about growing up, not nervous and reluctant like some of his friends. Now that could just be his friends, but they are all pretty normal kids.

Thanks for the discussion!

I do agree with the concern that keeps popping up here; that of many homeschoolers having very low expectations of their high schoolers.  In fact, that's probably the biggest reason I visit this board.  Rather than feeling like I'm super homeschool mom (like I do in our real-life group), I feel like I'm dropping the ball!  That challenge is good for me.  

Yep!

At the moment, the biggest reason we're planning to homeschool high school is still that pesky 2e stuff.  

Buck is such a space cadet and our local school doesn't really believe in ADHD.  Instead there are kids who are hard workers and kids who are lazy.  I can't let my fragile 14 year old start thinking he's lazy.  "Space cadet" is fine, because spacing off is a state of mind that changes by the minute.  But "lazy" is a personality trait!  And in our part of the world, where a man you shake hands with that doesn't have calluses is suspect, "lazy" is about the worst label you can put on someone.  

Bright kids seem to do well in our school (Bean will probably be one of them), but not when it's coupled with ADHD.  

Those are the kids who are lucky to graduate...   :(

Ds is bright w/ adhd as well. I do not think the school would be a good fit at all but socially he really likes to be involved, I worry about how I will be able to meet all his needs, without running myself ragged!

We're fortunate that we have a high school that is not draconian about attendance and getting my guy out for trips and activities has been easy. However, there's a huge difference. When missing public school, the student, indeed, MISSES school and has to play catch up NOT getting whatever was done in class. When one takes time off while homeschooling, all the work, etc, is merely shifted to a more convenient time. The student "misses" nothing.

Also, if the student falls behind for any reason in public school (illness, daydreaming, or just plain 'not getting it'), too bad. The class continues on whether you are on board or not. It's not just grades that suffer, the actual learning suffers. In the opposite direction, if the student catches on to something or already knows it, they are slowed down waiting for the class to catch up. It can get really boring for many students.

While homeschooling, one can slow down, redo, or even speed up various sections to fit the student.

There are many, many things about homeschooling high school that I absolutely loved, and only a few things I feel my kids missed out on. The two who homeschooled certainly "did" better by society's academic standards. All have done just fine socially.

Creekland, our local PS is so positively wicked with their attendance policy that they actually list which relatives it is acceptable to miss school for the funeral of and which ones do not qualify. A cousin does not qualify. An Aunt or Uncle does IF the parent talks to the principal to demonstrate the relationship was close. So, if it is aunt or uncle in California that the kid only sees twice a year? Nope, unexcused absence and detention, E for the day, etc. They make a bigger deal about perfect attendance awards than they do about 4.0's!

So, it's pretty insane here. Once enrolled in high school, they are property of the school from this district's perspective. Oh, and a Congressional Breakfast with special speakers from the Department of Defense, Senators and their staffers, etc., and giving presentations to these government officials is NOT considered an educational outing. No joke. Thankfully, the two PS members of our rocket team hail from a much more laid back school district and the principal thinks it's wonderful and has no problem with giving them time off for TARC week. Our local district would make students take E's and detention for daring to go to Washington D.C. and do such a thing.

When the Millington team took 4th place in the nation and the students of that team were winning college scholarships all over the place, the superintendent wouldn't announce it in the school newspaper. It wasn't considered "educationally worthy". I swear I live in the land of total ignoramuses, but I have to admit it is probably not so much stupidity as it is control freak behavior and power tripping. We've got more than one superintendent and principal in the area that doesn't think anything educational ever happens unless A. they thought of it and B. they implemented it. The teachers around here describe "living hell" as their educational environment. I weep for these kids.

Plus, and I love this one, every one of those kids was in the top 10% on the school. Hard to believe that they would incur educational disaster from missing a couple of days of school. It took a parental firestorm of literally hundreds of parents from the school district rallying on their behalf and flooding a board meeting in order to get them to relent. However, not for the Congressional Breakfast...they still aren't allowed to leave in time to attend that...to stay one day after the competition and go to historical sites or museums!

Yes, when I was sooooooooooo anemic and ds was approaching 9th grade, I would have loved at that time to put him in school, and his brothers as well. But, there was just no way it was going to happen as long as I drew breath, LOL! And only when I'm anemic again to I really wish I had options other than homeschooling. I am glad your local district is not so awful. Thankfully, the health is better as of this time. Not so great this past September - very overwhelmed.

Faith

When the Millington team took 4th place in the nation and the students of that team were winning college scholarships all over the place, the superintendent wouldn't announce it in the school newspaper. It wasn't considered "educationally worthy".

Plus, and I love this one, every one of those kids was in the top 10% on the school. Hard to believe that they would incur educational disaster from missing a couple of days of school. It took a parental firestorm of literally hundreds of parents from the school district rallying on their behalf and flooding a board meeting in order to get them to relent. However, not for the Congressional Breakfast...they still aren't allowed to leave in time to attend that...to stay one day after the competition and go to historical sites or museums!

It is so sad and comical at the same time. Sad that your district is in such a state of malfunction. Comical in that my school district would have jump at the change to take credit and brag about it all over the place to any news reporters they have connections to.  They also know that the top 10%  in the school district are all afterschoolers and could not care less if the students miss the maximum allowed number of days per year. Plenty have gotten permission to fly back to Asia for a week for funerals.  It could be because most of the school funding for K-12 comes from property tax with no top-up by the state, something to do with the school funding from property tax on lean years is still higher than the state would have funded per child.

Hope your health is better this year and years after.

It is amazing how districts are so different regarding attendance.  We took youngest out last week for a trip with his brother (and us) to the Baltimore Aquarium - during the week as I prefer it to weekends.

He's also been excused for multiple college trips over the years (for him and/or his brother) and for various mission trips overseas or to assist with hurricane/storm cleanups.  There's no question he'd be excused for a funeral - any funeral we deemed important - even if just a family friend.

We may have lower educational foundations, but at least common sense still reigns with attendance.  There are things I LIKE about my district.

Autumn wants to come home again for high school (she is currently in a private school for the next 2 years, through grade 8). MY concern is the same as some others have voiced - not all high schools will allow "mommy credits" to transfer in, from what I've heard, and that's scary. What if, for some reason, homeschooling doesn't work well for her? Would she be forced, as a junior (say), to transfer in as a freshman?

This varies greatly from school district to school district even within any given state.  Our local school district recently changed their policy and they do not accept any outside hs credits unless they were taken through accredited programs of some sort.   Even if a student tests into high level math class, they do not receive graduation credit for prior math classes done through self study. 

IF she does want to attend public high school, she may still be able to progress as a junior but by the end of her senior year, end up with a homeschool diploma as opposed to an accredited public school diploma.

Creekland, our local PS is so positively wicked with their attendance policy that they actually list which relatives it is acceptable to miss school for the funeral of and which ones do not qualify. A cousin does not qualify. An Aunt or Uncle does IF the parent talks to the principal to demonstrate the relationship was close. So, if it is aunt or uncle in California that the kid only sees twice a year? Nope, unexcused absence and detention, E for the day, etc. They make a bigger deal about perfect attendance awards than they do about 4.0's!

So, it's pretty insane here. Once enrolled in high school, they are property of the school from this district's perspective. Oh, and a Congressional Breakfast with special speakers from the Department of Defense, Senators and their staffers, etc., and giving presentations to these government officials is NOT considered an educational outing. No joke. Thankfully, the two PS members of our rocket team hail from a much more laid back school district and the principal thinks it's wonderful and has no problem with giving them time off for TARC week. Our local district would make students take E's and detention for daring to go to Washington D.C. and do such a thing.

When the Millington team took 4th place in the nation and the students of that team were winning college scholarships all over the place, the superintendent wouldn't announce it in the school newspaper. It wasn't considered "educationally worthy". I swear I live in the land of total ignoramuses, but I have to admit it is probably not so much stupidity as it is control freak behavior and power tripping. We've got more than one superintendent and principal in the area that doesn't think anything educational ever happens unless A. they thought of it and B. they implemented it. The teachers around here describe "living hell" as their educational environment. I weep for these kids.

Faith

Wow, there policies and priorities are totally ridiculous.

The high school my oldest went to worked with kids when they were going to miss for special events, activities, college visits, etc.  The teachers were willing to give work ahead of time, and not plan tests when there were large group activities - I know there were times band kids missed for competitions or special performances, football and other athletes missing for states, one of her English Literature classes went into NYC to see a Shakespeare play.  It was not an uncommon thing in her school and they are very strong academically.

I'm just wondering since I hear this so much. Parents plan to homeschool through middle school and then send them to high school.

I can imagine the social needs get more complex at this point. Is this the biggest reason?

In my state (TN) it can be very difficult to send a child to a public high school if they have homeschooled any of the high school years.  Public high schools will not likely accept any of the course credits they have earned and their placement will be based on tests.  Even then it can be very tricky.  So a parent really has to be sure they will not need/want to switch gears mid-stream.  Obviously emergencies can happen, but I have known kids who were placed fairly far back in high school courses and had to do a lot of finagling to graduate in time - summer courses, dual enrollment, etc.

For us, it was a combination of things. As she reached the teen years, my dd became incredibly focused on socialization, maybe obsessed would be a better word for it. And she is an only child, living at the end of a rural dead-end road, and homeschooling...  In addition to that, she and I were having some relationship issues that are typical between teen dd's and their mothers. However, these issues really undermined our schooling.

The final straw was when I realized if someone else was schooling my dd and was getting the same poor results that I was, I would fire them. So I fired me. I did a lot of research and found that for our situation and location, one of the online public schools was our best option. Dd will have attended that school for 3 semesters then she will enroll in our local PSEO program where she can take all her courses at the local community college and receive both high school and college credit for them.

I know several people who have gotten very caught up in the idea of homeschooling and refuse to quit, even when it is not working in the parent's or child's best interest. There is nothing wrong with sticking with homeschooling all 12 years, there is nothing wrong with changing educational systems during those 12 years. Some families may choose to go with more that one system to accommodate the needs of their different children. It is a very complex choice but IMO, the bottom line should be the quality of education the child is receiving.

If I could go back in time I would have most definitely started my 2 teenagers in some sort of online school

for high school. I have big regret in not doing something like that. As teens in my house I think they could

have benefitted from having someone else setting the deadlines and making the demands. I would like to have

seen a little more separation between parenting and teaching during these teen years. Most of the time they

are outstanding but during tough teen times I needed to focus on parenting rather than the pushing.

Not to mention the tougher subjects need more than I can handle sometimes.  I often wish they had

somewhere to go ask and brainstorm tough topics.  If I were a math or science major then I might have

ended up feeling better.  I work and learn with them but I'm not always enough for the further questions.

I felt buying quality curriculum with good instruction DVDs and books would be great.

That's my honest and open experience. 

We began homeschooling in 7th grade when my daughter asked not to return to her 6th grade school. (This was no reflection on the school but rather the hour long commute each way.) We gave her the choice of attending the local middle school or of homeschooling and taking some classes at a homeschooling resource center. We had her shadow a middle school student for a full day, and she also visited the resource center. She elected to homeschool.

In subsequent years, she had free choice. Prior to ninth grade, she visited the local high school and sat in on a couple of classes, took a tour, etc. Prior to 10th grade, she attended an information session for a newly opening charter arts academy. In each case, she continued to choose homeschooling. I will admit that the resource center played a large part in her decision -- initially due to fun offerings such as fencing and ice skating but ultimately due to the fact that she fell in love with Latin which she took there for five years.  We were fortunate that the resource center also offered some high caliber academic classes including AP classes in Latin, English, History and Government.

My daughter's outside classes during high school were taken at the homeschooling center, at the local community college (at our full expense), and one was done online using PA Homeschoolers. There were no really cool extra-curriculars (unless you count loom beading); however, my daughter did work for several summers at an organic farm run by the local food bank and staffed by low income and at-risk youth.  She also was able to continue taking Latin and she took Geology classes at the community college. 

She ultimately went to a fairly selective liberal arts college where she majored in Latin and minored in Geology.  She graduated from college in 2013 and is currently in South Korea teaching English.

I think some parents stop homeschooling in high school because the prospect of being their student's guidance counselor is a daunting prospect.  And I'll admit that there is a lot of work helping one's child through the college application process.  However, there are also many helping hands available through the boards here and a LOT of useful information to be gained from reading discussions on the high school and college boards.

If any reader would be interested in seeing my daughter's high school transcript or course descriptions, I'd be happy to share.  Simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni

I think some parents stop homeschooling in high school because the prospect of being their student's guidance counselor is a daunting prospect.  And I'll admit that there is a lot of work helping one's child through the college application process.  However, there are also many helping hands available through the boards here and a LOT of useful information to be gained from reading discussions on the high school and college boards.

If any reader would be interested in seeing my daughter's high school transcript or course descriptions, I'd be happy to share.  Simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni

Those helping hands include Kareni's who was gracious and generous in assisting us with the college application process.  Three cheers!! Hip-hip!! Hurray!

Actually social needs were exactly why I didn't send my daughter to public high school.  The high school students here are not good to be around 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  A lot of them do drugs and drink.  The ones who don't are ridiculed beyond belief.  My daughter even experienced some of this with her public school friends in the off school hours.  They really don't like it when other students don't drink.  They seem to think there is something wrong with anyone who doesn't.  The parents obviously don't care and even provide access to the alcohol.  There was no way I was going to send my daughter into that environment.  She stayed home and did an online school instead.

Sometimes kids that age are just ready to have some sort of identity away from home.

Yes!  As hard as it is to watch, dd is blossoming into HERSELF.  We even had a discussion the other night where my answer was, "Do what seems right to you, not to please me.  Whatever your decision is, believe in it because it's yours, not for me."

She was never in situations like she is now while homeschooling.  She will go away for college, I'm sure of it.  I'm so thankful she's getting this life preparation while still under my wings. 

The ones who don't are ridiculed beyond belief.  My daughter even experienced some of this with her public school friends in the off school hours.  They really don't like it when other students don't drink.  They seem to think there is something wrong with anyone who doesn't.  The parents obviously don't care and even provide access to the alcohol.  There was no way I was going to send my daughter into that environment.  She stayed home and did an online school instead.

It's entirely fine for you to choose to keep your daughter away from people who drink, but allowing a teen to drink does not necessarily imply that the parents don't care.  They may care very much, and want their children to learn to drink in moderation rather than going off to university inexperienced, where they may treat alcohol dangerously (drinking and driving, or binge drinking, for example) without a parental safety net.  FWIW, it's perfectly legal in Scotland for a parent to buy drink that is then consumed by his/her teen.  

L (enjoying a gin and tonic with Calvin on a Friday night after choir - winding down from rehearsing with him Beethoven's 9th and the Crucifixus by Mealor)

It's entirely fine for you to choose to keep your daughter away from people who drink, but allowing a teen to drink does not necessarily imply that the parents don't care.  They may care very much, and want their children to learn to drink in moderation rather than going off to university inexperienced, where they may treat alcohol dangerously (drinking and driving, or binge drinking, for example) without a parental safety net.  FWIW, it's perfectly legal in Scotland for a parent to buy drink that is then consumed by his/her teen.  

L (enjoying a gin and tonic with Calvin on a Friday night after choir - winding down from rehearsing with him Beethoven's 9th and the Crucifixus by Mealor)

I don't think she was referring to a parent sharing a beverage in the privacy of their home. I think she meant parents that buy kegs of beer for teen parties. 

I don't think she was referring to a parent sharing a beverage in the privacy of their home. I think she meant parents that buy kegs of beer for teen parties. 

I've also provided alcohol for Calvin to drink with friends.  It's all part (for me) of his understanding his limits before he is out on his own.  All of the teens brought alcohol - I wasn't providing it for the others.

L