Menu

Let's have a little fun... What is your high schooler reading right now?

We'll just leave it vague, so you can have fun with it.  I asked dd what she's reading this week, and she listed:

Speaking From Among the Bones-Alan Bradley (more Flavia de Luce mysteries?) 

Morgoth's Ring-Tolkien (for the nth time)

a book of Yeats poetry

Official Secrets-Breitman (what the americans knew during WW2)

She has more in the library bag, and that's not a list of texts.  That's just what she has picked for herself to read right now.  Last week the list would have been Candide and Shelley, and the Yeats is new.  Anyone wanna jump in?  :)

Ds17

The Old Man and the Sea

Kite Runner

As soon as he is done with these, he intends to reread a favorite  called  Seven Ox Seven: Escondido Bound by P. A. Ritzer.  It is a big book, but if you have anyone who likes westerns, ds says this is the best he's ever read. I met the author in person and he signed ds' book for him. This guy poured years of his life into the research behind this book.  He also has a second part coming out sometime.

Dd15

A Tale of Two Cities

Dd15 is reading The Fault in in our stars, Looking for Alaska and anything John Green Right now. Afterward she will be reading The Divergent Series and The Hunger Games.... again.

Then its on to reading This side of paradise, A Separate Peace and The Fountain Head.

Dd is an avid reader so she will be done with these rather quickly.

ds15 is taking a break from reading.  Last semester was lit heavy and he has online lit classes starting again feb so he says he needs to save his brain power until then. 

dd14 is all about online stories written by other teens right now.  SHe frequents a story sharing site and reads there and has started posting her own.

We are listening to a BBC audio production of the Odyssey right now (they read it last year, and we have started TC series on it this year so this was a fun way to bring it more to life, ds15 is finally getting it, the language it is in when we study it is difficult for his comprehension skills.)

Mine(ds 16) just finished To Say Nothing of the Dog.   I did assign it, but he stayed up late several nights and finished it much quicker than I required because he couldn't put it down.  I reread it and love it, too.  I have to assign fiction to him.  He tried the Book Thief on his own but didn't stay with it.   He reads non fiction, but I'm not sure what right now.  

Ds1: Infinite Jest, Birds and People, also a bunch a books for his Europe trip in May, for school he is reading poetry, and watching movies.

Dd1: Just finished the Divergence books (is that right? I have no idea), no idea what she is reading now. For school,  The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, selections of Bede, Hamlet and Beowulf.

Ds 17:  Of Mice and Men (school)

Walking Dead, Book 7 (seriously, really) 

I know, hasn't this thread been fun!  I love seeing how DIVERSE the interests are and how interesting their pleasure-reading is.  I'm hoping to show it to dd to give her some new ideas.  I'll try to do it again next week to continue the fun!  :)

Ds 17 and 15  Dante's Inferno

Ds 14 Journey to the Center of the Earth

All 3 are reading I don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Athiest

Ds just finished Dante's Inferno - again.  He had read it in 9th, but just did not seem to "click" with it.  This time, he was very intrigued.  Now, he definitely wants to read "Purgatorio". 

ds15 is taking a break from reading. Last semester was lit heavy and he has online lit classes starting again feb so he says he needs to save his brain power until then.

dd14 is all about online stories written by other teens right now. SHe frequents a story sharing site and reads there and has started posting her own.

We are listening to a BBC audio production of the Odyssey right now (they read it last year, and we have started TC series on it this year so this was a fun way to bring it more to life, ds15 is finally getting it, the language it is in when we study it is difficult for his comprehension skills.)

Could you give more details on the Odyssey audio?

Could you give more details on the Odyssey audio?

This is the one, this clip on youtube is a sample of what we are listening to.  We have listened to other BBC radio productions too for stories we have read like Squanto because it brings them to life.  We got it from the library, but I am sure if your library doesn't carry it there are lots of sources available online for downloads.

The Scarlet Letter

Godel, Escher, Bach

Schrodinger's Kitten and the Search for Reality

and to be able to talk to some of his friends, The Hunger Game series.

Ooo, I read that years ago!!  Picked it up at the science museum because I so loved the art and had never seen such a thing.  I still have my copy.  :D

We're on summer break  ;)  and I'm snatching a planning break

ds 14 is going through, or just finished 

History of the Middle Ages ~ Bauer  (to see if he likes it well enough to use this year, he's already 1/2 way through ;) )

A Morbid Taste for Bones ~ Ellis

Flying Colours ~ Forester

(& subbing to look for ideas for our year ahead)

#SoBLessed by Annoying Actor Friend

Love Always -- it's a book of short plays

a modern retelling of Cymbeline (she's doing a monologue from Cymbeline for one of her college auditions)

and I Got In!  -- tips for college auditions

(Yes, we're in the thick of audition prep right now.)