Menu

Favorite appetizers for Christmas? Wow items that don't require too much work?

tammyw

We are hosting Christmas at our house this year and I want to do a bunch of appetizers throughout the day. We are definitely doing a cheese plate (with grapes, dried fruit, crackers, and bread), and a fabulous baked artichoke dip, but I need a few more great ideas. I was thinking about making some crockpot meatballs perhaps. My daughter is thinking about doing a puff pastry appetizer that would be kid friendly.

Ideas for your favorite "wow" appetizers?

People think that my stuffed mushrooms make me the queen of apps but all they are are mushroom caps brushed with olive oil and stuffed with a mix of diced onions, garlic, sausage and tomato sauce bake until they look good. You can sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top before you cook if you like.

People think that my stuffed mushrooms make me the queen of apps but all they are are mushroom caps brushed with olive oil and stuffed with a mix of diced onions, garlic, sausage and tomato sauce bake until they look good. You can sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top before you cook if you like.

Sounds yummy, but mushrooms are the one thing no one in our group particularly likes (except me!)

My family has enjoyed a number of recipes from the Martha Stewart Appetizers cookbook.

Cherry tomatoes stuffed with smoked trout mousse (quite easy to make if you have a tomato shark/scoop and a bag to pipe the filling. 

Baby potatoes with crĂƒÂ¨me fraĂƒÂ®che and caviar (I use cheap red salmon roe, nice color and fine for this recipe)

Smoked salmon on pumpernickel with dill butter

I also like Belgian endive with crab dip mixture,

and one of my family's favorites (but it is a bit time-consuming) maple-soy marinated scallops in bacon

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marinated-scallops-wrapped-in-bacon/

Tip -- use flavorful Grade B maple syrup

An easy disk I do for Christmas morning is baked Brie -- get the Brie that come in a wooden box, remove the top and the paper, bake on a cookie sheet at 350° for 15 minutes or until soft, spread with a preserve, like fig or apricot. Or you can put a savory conserve on the side -- my personal favorite is onion jam from gourmet store.

For easy prep, I also serve smoked salmon and/or prosciutto -- just unwrap and throw onto a plate. Also easy -- mini frozen crab cakes (purchased, not homemade). Platters of shrimp are usually popular, but I am wary of allergies.

I have borrowed a fabulous cheese ball recipe from a friend - it's usually gone in the first 5 minutes of a party:

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

about 1 cup chopped green onions

about 1 cup chopped nuts (we usually use pecans, but walnuts or almonds would work)

enough mayonaise to make it all stick together - 1-2 tbsp.

Mix everything together until it sticks together, then shape into a ball.   Refrigerate several hours wrapped in plastic wrap.

Just before serving, microwave a small jar of red pepper jelly until it's pourable (or you can use something like jalapeno jelly if you like it hotter) and pour over the cheese ball.   Serve with crackers.

Take Medjool dates and slice lengthwise, but not all the way through (enough to pop the pit out).

Stuff the date with either an almond, or a bit of blue cheese, or some spicy sausage (all equally good and equal baking times)

Wrap with half a piece of bacon.

Bake at 400 for about 12 minutes (until bacon is done)

Unbelievably good if you like sweet and savory together.  My favorite is the blue cheese, DH's favorite is the sausage, and my sister's favorite is the almond.  Very, very easy.

I like bacon-wrapped chicken. I just don't bother with the toothpicks.

I wrap all the chicken in bacon and space the pieces out in a baking pan with sides.

I mix the brown sugar and chili powder and then sprinkle it over the top of the bacon-wrapped chicken after I have all the chicken pieces arranged in the pan.

That's a lot easier than doing it the way that the recipe says to.

Then bake for 30 minutes at 350°.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/sweet-chicken-bacon-wraps-recipe/index.html

Crab dip! Lots of cream cheese, some crab meat, old bay, and any other cheese you feel lie tossing in there. Stir and bake until melty.

Last year I arranged my veggie platter to look lie a Christmas tree. That was easy, but lied festive. Something like this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/30680841185060453/

One of my dance teachers always has a chocolate fountain at her parties. Another friend rents a booze fountain for hers.

Costco's frozen spanakopita is good.

I put meatballs and sauce in the crockpot and serve with small rolls to make sandwiches. You can use frozen meatballs and jarred marinara or make homemade (or homemade frozen as I'll use). Chicken meatballs with red sauce make chicken parm sandwiches. Chicken or turkey meatballs can be tossed with buffalo sauce or with a teriyaki sauce.

Layered Greek dip is a fun change from the Mexican variety:

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/appetizers-snacks/layered-greek-dip/

Not sure if you're looking for elegant wow or yummy wow. :)

What do you like to put in the phyllo cups?  I always see them but can't think of anything interesting.

Usually I use some sort of sweet mousse or a savory salad (like a finely chopped chicken salad) because it's easy.

Here are lots of other ideas

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/appetizers-with-phyllo-cups

http://phyllo.com/

http://www.athensfoods.com/product/mini-fillo-shells/

Our world famous Antipasto Gregor:

+ loaf of sliced french bread baguette (1/2 inch slices)

+ 1 c pesto 

+ 1 jar sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained of the oil, patted mostly dry with paper towels.

+ 1 block mozzarella cheese, sliced thin into pieces that are about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick and cut somewhat smaller than your bread pieces. (Should cover about 1/2 to 3/4 of the bread..)

Spread a nice coating of pesto on each slice of bread.

Toast them (on cookie sheets) in the oven (about 400 degrees) until bread is slightly toasted (a bit crunchy) and the pesto turns a nice dark green. (About 5 min or so.) Don't brown them too much.

Top the toasts with one slice of cheese, then a sun dried tomato.

Serve.

* If you have a source of watercress, then you can add a small sprig of watercress on top of your toasts, which makes them even prettier. We rarely have it on hand, so we don't bother.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Serve warm, but they are still tasty for quite a while. We've never had one go uneaten, lol, and we often make them by the dozen, even for our family of 5. 

Sausage balls are always a hit. They're good warm or at room temp. I've recently been to parties where they had dips for them- never had tried that but they were good! My favorite was a white gravy with pepper.   I guess these are popular because people know what they taste like- almost everyone's are the same. Some party food looks so good...but then you bite into it and are surprised to find it very spicy or mushroomy or something. 

Every idea posted above this one looks fabulous!!!! We're spending New Year's with family and I'm going to try some of these- thanks everyone!!!  I much prefer to try things people actually have made- I've been burned by Pinterest recipes a few times. 

Late to this post but I made jalapeno tarts today and I CANNOT STOP eating them!

1 stick of butter 
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 c flour

cayenne pepper, salt, pepper to taste
1 T milk or less 

jalapeno jelly

Preheat oven to 400.  Mix butter and cheese completely.  Add flour, cayenne, pepper, salt, pepper.  Add milk. Mix with cheese and butter.  Form into balls(should be the consistency of cookie dough or just a tad dryer)  and put in mini muffin pan.  Indent the middle and put jalapeno jelly in the indent.  Bake for 10 minutes.

My sister made a simple but very yummy appetizer a couple of years ago.  She took some Pillsbury canned dough (the one that you can unroll and it makes a rectangle), spread some raw Italian sausage on it to near the edge, roll up and cut cinnamon roll style.  Bake according to dough package directions -- it's enough time for the sausage to cook, too. 

Tammy, can you share your yummy artichoke dip recipe?   :drool5: 

Love this thread and all the ideas!!

Yes, definitely. It's always a huge hit and everyone loves it, but so easy!

Hot Artichoke Dip:

2 cans artichoke hearts (drain and chop them up)

1 large can of chopped green chiles (I think I put in two small cans)

1 large amount of grated parmigiana cheese (I just grate what I think is a good amount - I don't measure)

1 small jar of mayonnaise (again, this part i just eyeball as I mix to see what's a good amount)

Combine all ingredients in an oven proof or casserole dish. Bake at 350 until bubbly and slightly brown (I think I usually do 45 minutes?)

I serve it with tortilla chips or pita breads that I've cut into triangles and mixed with olive oil and toasted in the oven.

I have had a friend who came here and ate it at our house and thought it was the greatest thing she'd ever tasted (and she'd had artichoke dips before many times). I gave her the recipe and she said it didn't taste nearly as good as mine, so I can't quite figure that out! Maybe next time I'll have her watch me make it while I do it. Maybe it's because I eyeball things, and I definitely cook mine longer than the original recipe said. I cook it until it's really brown, and the dish I use is large enough that it's not a thick layer (so that a good portion of it gets brown).

I made this dip and everyone was asking for the recipe. It's definitely not "high brow", yet our friend who did three years in a Paris culinary school couldn't stop eating it and insisted I send the recipe, lol!

Buffalo Chicken Dip:

16 oz cream cheese (2 blocks)

Jar of good quality (refrigerated section) blue cheese salad dressing plus extra blue cheese

8 oz hot wing sauce (found in grocery stores near BBQ sauces)

3/4 cup chopped celery (I forgot that this year, oops!)

2 cups cooked chicken (I do use canned here)

1 cup cheddar cheese

Combine cream cheese, bleu cheese stuff, hot sauce and celery. Heat in microwave until cream cheese is melted. Stir. Add chicken and cheddar cheese and stir. Put in baking dish. Top with more cheddar if desired. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with celery sticks and bread or crackers.

Yes, definitely. It's always a huge hit and everyone loves it, but so easy!

Hot Artichoke Dip:

2 cans artichoke hearts (drain and chop them up)

1 large can of chopped green chiles (I think I put in two small cans)

1 large amount of grated parmigiana cheese (I just grate what I think is a good amount - I don't measure)

1 small jar of mayonnaise (again, this part i just eyeball as I mix to see what's a good amount)

Combine all ingredients in an oven proof or casserole dish. Bake at 350 until bubbly and slightly brown (I think I usually do 45 minutes?)

I serve it with tortilla chips or pita breads that I've cut into triangles and mixed with olive oil and toasted in the oven.

I have had a friend who came here and ate it at our house and thought it was the greatest thing she'd ever tasted (and she'd had artichoke dips before many times). I gave her the recipe and she said it didn't taste nearly as good as mine, so I can't quite figure that out! Maybe next time I'll have her watch me make it while I do it. Maybe it's because I eyeball things, and I definitely cook mine longer than the original recipe said. I cook it until it's really brown, and the dish I use is large enough that it's not a thick layer (so that a good portion of it gets brown).

Did you both use the same brand of mayo? There can be quite a variation. For instance, I prefer Duke's (a southern brand) because it has no sugar, which most do. Some people will also consider something like Miracle Whip to be the same as mayo, and that would dramatically alter a recipe :eek: . Another thing to check is the artichoke hearts. Some are marinated, which could be another difference.

Did you both use the same brand of mayo? There can be quite a variation. For instance, I prefer Duke's (a southern brand) because it has no sugar, which most do. Some people will also consider something like Miracle Whip to be the same as mayo, and that would dramatically alter a recipe :eek: . Another thing to check is the artichoke hearts. Some are marinated, which could be another difference.

That's a good point. Miracle whip would be a big disaster (ask me how I know, lol!) And marinated artichokes would be really bad in this recipe!

Too late for Christmas, but here is my "go-to" when I need a quick and delicious appetizer.

large block of reduced fat cream cheese

can of shredded crab meat  (ETA: drain if there is liquid)

bottle of cocktail sauce

Put the cream cheese in the middle of the plate, top with crab meat, and pour cocktail sauce over the top (not the whole bottle, but enough to cover the crab and cream cheese) Wipe around the edges so that it looks neat. Surround with Triscuits or your favorite cracker. YUM! It is totally delicious!

A mound of cream cheese with a jar of chutney poured over it served with an assortment of crackers is an easy savory appetizer to prepare and share.

Regards,

Kareni

This.  We often do jalepeno jelly over a mound of cream cheese.  Another hit is apricot preserves with fresh jalpeno mixed in, also served over cream cheese.

Take Medjool dates and slice lengthwise, but not all the way through (enough to pop the pit out).

Stuff the date with either an almond, or a bit of blue cheese, or some spicy sausage (all equally good and equal baking times)

Wrap with half a piece of bacon.

Bake at 400 for about 12 minutes (until bacon is done)

Unbelievably good if you like sweet and savory together.  My favorite is the blue cheese, DH's favorite is the sausage, and my sister's favorite is the almond.  Very, very easy.

I made these for Christmas (blue cheese and almonds). They were AMAZING. Thanks! 

Too late for Christmas, but here is my "go-to" when I need a quick and delicious appetizer.

large block of reduced fat cream cheese

can of shredded crab meat  (ETA: drain if there is liquid)

bottle of cocktail sauce

Put the cream cheese in the middle of the plate, top with crab meat, and pour cocktail sauce over the top (not the whole bottle, but enough to cover the crab and cream cheese) Wipe around the edges so that it looks neat. Surround with Triscuits or your favorite cracker. YUM! It is totally delicious!

This is also really good with shrimp.

I made this for Christmas and it was wonderful (it's got bacon in it, too)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hot Cheesy Chicken Artichoke Dip

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Appetizers                      Low Carb
                Potluck                         Poultry
                Quick & Easy

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2               cups  cooked chicken
  1                jar  artichoke hearts -- (6 oz) chopped
     1/2           cup  cooked bacon -- chopped
     1/3           cup  chopped sun dried tomatoes
     1/2           tsp  salt
     1/4           tsp  pepper
  1                cup  alfredo sauce
  1                cup  mayonnaise
  2               Tbsp  grated purple onion
     1/4           cup  mozzarella cheese -- grated
     1/4           cup  Parmesan cheese -- grated

1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
2. Combine ingredients except cheese. Toss lightly.3. Pile into 4 individual baking dishes (1 cup ramekins).
4. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
5. Bake for 10 minutes.Makes 4-6 servings.

Description:
  "Featuring sexy, healthy ingredients, you can be sure that youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re not only enjoying comfort food, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re also feeding yourself healthfully to boot."
Source:
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

NOTES :  I combined everything, including the cheese, and put it into a casserole dish. I topped it with shredded parmesan.  I baked it until beginning to brown on top and then reheated on Christmas in the microwave. Very good! I served it with pita chips, and pork rinds for me.

My family has enjoyed a number of recipes from the Martha Stewart Appetizers cookbook.

Cherry tomatoes stuffed with smoked trout mousse (quite easy to make if you have a tomato shark/scoop and a bag to pipe the filling.

Baby potatoes with crĂƒÂ¨me fraĂƒÂ®che and caviar (I use cheap red salmon roe, nice color and fine for this recipe)

Smoked salmon on pumpernickel with dill butter

I also like Belgian endive with crab dip mixture,

and one of my family's favorites (but it is a bit time-consuming) maple-soy marinated scallops in bacon

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marinated-scallops-wrapped-in-bacon/

Tip -- use flavorful Grade B maple syrup

An easy disk I do for Christmas morning is baked Brie -- get the Brie that come in a wooden box, remove the top and the paper, bake on a cookie sheet at 350° for 15 minutes or until soft, spread with a preserve, like fig or apricot. Or you can put a savory conserve on the side -- my personal favorite is onion jam from gourmet store.

For easy prep, I also serve smoked salmon and/or prosciutto -- just unwrap and throw onto a plate. Also easy -- mini frozen crab cakes (purchased, not homemade). Platters of shrimp are usually popular, but I am wary of allergies.

You are CLEARLY working with a classier crowd than me. We're excited if the salsa isn't Wal-Mart brand!