Menu

My town moved Halloween

Moxie

Last year Halloween was a few days after Hurricane Sandy, and was cancelled/moved to some time in November-- I think the following Friday night or something.  Most kids just went out anyway, since the weather wasn't bad on the actual night. 

I'm sorry you're dealing with this!

Your mayor is a weenie. 

Bad weather on Halloween?  Ha!  We've NEVER moved Halloween here and we routinely deal with the first or second blizzard of the season.  Kids -- teeny tiny kids -- will trudge through meter high snow drifts in parkas, snowpants, snowboots, tuques and mitts and STILL manage to have the most fabulous costumes ever designed to fit around a Michelin-man-sized parka AND haul pilllow cases full of frozen-to-the-core candies, chocolates and chips, AND when they're done, gleefully whip off the 20 pounds of snow gear and 15 pounds of costume, dump their 45 pound haul of booty in the middle of the floor and declare this Halloween -- the coldest, most bitter, most snowy one ever -- to be THE BEST HALLOWEEN EVER!!!!

I live in Canada.  Costumes are purchased specifically to fit over snowsuits lol  In the city were ds10 is ToTing they have already had snow but they are warmer than us.  Out in my rural town most of this week has been in the -15 to -20C range with the windchill.  I am expecting much of the same tomorrow night.  We will be bundled up and I will be driving the car along allowing the kids to get in when too cold while letting the others keep going (apparenting I have 2 extra teen boys that may be joining us).  It is a rare occurrance for it not to be snowing on Halloween, it is an assumption that if it hasn't snowed by that day it will for sure that night.  The exception is years like this where it is simply too cold for the snow to fall. Normally it is just the cold and/or snow but there was a year a few back when we had freezing rain and still we went out.  We went to gramma's neighborhood so I could drop off the kids as they tired out (dd6 was only about 2 back then so she only went to a handful of houses) the drive back home on icy roads was worse than the ToTing in the rain.

I'm just thinking of the fun we didn't have one Halloween when the weather turned out how it is forecast for tomorrow night: Cold, torrential, driving rain with wind so strong it turned our umbrellas inside out.  What's the use of wearing a costume if you have to put a big raincoat and rubber boots over it?

This may be mere semantics, but I don't think it's actually possible to move Hallowe'en. Reschedule the trick or treating, maybe...

Of course I am just being persnickety to make that point. We lived in one small southern town that would reschedule ToTing to Saturday if it fell on a Sunday evening, but weather did not cause any change.

Yep: Canada. You'd have to be an idiot to buy/make a kid a costume that wasn't going to work well in combination with a snow suit.

If there hasn't been snow *by* Halloween, there will (facetious tone here) be fall snow on Halloween. If there is snow already, it might well be clear-and-cold instead. On rare occasions, the first snow has come and gone, and we get lucky with a warm spell that hits the occasion. (Is there a politically correct way to say 'Indian Summer'?)

If the weather is particularly bad, people seem to give out more 'candy per capita' to get the kids back indoors in a timely fashion.

Cold driving rain (rare here) would certainly be worse than most 'everyday' kinds of snow (not including sleet or heavy snow with a strong wind), and I imagine it would be harder to plan ahead for the possibility of that kind of rain at that time of year... it's not "just an expectation" like snow is.

They are predicting severe thunderstorms with a chance of isolated tornados. Many of the towns around us have moved Trick or Treating to Friday night. Rain and snow? Eh. We'd cope. Lightening, high winds and possibly tornado outbreaks? Nope. We're not THAT tough. ;-)

This is our prediction.  Heavy rain, lighting, high winds, conditions right for a tornado.  We had a very serious tornado in November a few years ago so the weather dudes don't mess around.

Huh? Are you saying that tongue in cheek or are you seriously making a Halloween post into something political?

Apolitical. The purpose of government does not, or at least should not, involve little kids dressed as angry birds asking for candy. If it rains - get wet or stay home. Seriously - a town regulating trick or treating? That my paid political officials spent time even discussing it? That's crazy to me. Can parents not be trusted to manage their kids enough to decide if they should or should not participate?

I think if the weather is really bad, that's a good idea!  Why not?  On my oldest daughter's first Halloween, we had a terrible blizzard so even though the kids were loaded with snow gear, we only stayed out about half an hour and then had to return because we couldn't see anymore.  It lasted about 4 days, and pregnant mothers couldn't make it to hospitals, etc.  I say that because I was nine months pregnant at the time and was afraid I'd be one of them.  Fortunately she was born November 4 and that was the day the storm finally stopped and the plows came...

Apolitical. The purpose of government does not, or at least should not, involve little kids dressed as angry birds asking for candy. If it rains - get wet or stay home. Seriously - a town regulating trick or treating? That my paid political officials spent time even discussing it? That's crazy to me. Can parents not be trusted to manage their kids enough to decide if they should or should not participate?

Any town I've ever lived in has always set official hours for Trick or Treating. Is this not how it is done in your area?

We are supposed  to be having bad weather too.  Ours won't be changed though, because a few years back, our Parish Council passed an ordinance that says Halloween will always be celebrated on 10/31.  Before that, there were major issues if Halloween fell on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. 

Friday because of high school football

Saturday because of LSU games

Sunday because of churches (Protestant)

When it was changed to the day after Halloween, Catholics were upset because it is All Saint's Day (I think that is the right one)

So now, no matter what, Halloween is celebrated in our parish on 10/31

I think this is a good use of my tax dollars. There are extra police patrols during ToTing -- someone needs to step up and say when it will be. Doesn't feel very intrusive to me.

Last year was a literal washout in NJ.  There were impassable sidewalks and wire down a month after Sandy, and we're an hour inland.  Our town cancelled, so we had to go into the larger adjoining downtown for a merchant's trick or treat.   Considering the bulk of DD's costume that year, it was a PIA going in and our of stores with the crowds.

Rain would be just fine, thank you.

I admit I always learn something new on these boards. I had no idea that cities or towns set TOTing hours or had the power to move Halloween.  When we had bad weather, we could stay home or go out for a while.  I guess I just have gotten used to the idea that there are lean years in bad weather and fat years in good.  

I mean, Halloween comes every year.  Some years are just not going to be good.

Any town I've ever lived in has always set official hours for Trick or Treating. Is this not how it is done in your area?

um nope.  Out here ToTing starts when it starts to get dark after supper so usually about 530-6pmish, and goes until about 9pm if it is a school night and occasionally 10pm if it is a friday or saturday.  People start turning out their lights at 9pmish and you don't go to a house that does not have it's porch light on.  So set hours by the city/town.  No city/town I have ever lived in has mad rules about it like that, it is just tradition and common courtesy in the hours people go out.

um nope.  Out here ToTing starts when it starts to get dark after supper so usually about 530-6pmish, and goes until about 9pm if it is a school night and occasionally 10pm if it is a friday or saturday.  People start turning out their lights at 9pmish and you don't go to a house that does not have it's porch light on.  So set hours by the city/town.  No city/town I have ever lived in has mad rules about it like that, it is just tradition and common courtesy in the hours people go out.

Well, I haven't heard of any "mad rules" or law enforcement officers writing tickets for Trick or Treating outside of the official hours, LOL. I do believe that even in towns with an official day/time that the same common courtesy rules still apply.

For here, the littlest ones may start shortly after school time -- around 4pm, so they can be in before it starts getting dark.  Generally, anything between afterschool and midnight is pretty fair game for ToT'ing, though the bulk of them are done by 9pm and then you only see a very few stragglers or kids from an adjacent town coming through.

We're on a farm, so go into town for it.  We get no ToT'ers at the farm, so we drop our candy off at the community hall where volunteers hand out big fistfuls for any kids who go there.  Overall, I think we do a great job of getting kids properly jacked up on sugar and fattened up for winter.  You need those extra calories and fat layers for warmth ya know. ;)  LOL!

Your mayor is a weenie. 

Bad weather on Halloween?  Ha!  We've NEVER moved Halloween here and we routinely deal with the first or second blizzard of the season.  Kids -- teeny tiny kids -- will trudge through meter high snow drifts in parkas, snowpants, snowboots, tuques and mitts and STILL manage to have the most fabulous costumes ever designed to fit around a Michelin-man-sized parka AND haul pilllow cases full of frozen-to-the-core candies, chocolates and chips, AND when they're done, gleefully whip off the 20 pounds of snow gear and 15 pounds of costume, dump their 45 pound haul of booty in the middle of the floor and declare this Halloween -- the coldest, most bitter, most snowy one ever -- to be THE BEST HALLOWEEN EVER!!!!

If they are getting the same storm system that we just had this morning, I think it's a good call by the mayor. Something was struck big time within a mile of my house and we lost electricity. We didn't get hail but neighboring towns did. Snow and cold is different than a lightening threat.

One year our town "canceled" Halloween due to an ice storm which can be very dangerous when leaves are still on the trees. That's the only time I ever recall that happening though, as extreme weather in October is rare. 

The only time cancelling TOT has been discussed was during the DC shooter in 2002. My locality does not state hours and has never changed the day. Parents can use common sense about weather. I don't think any government entity was going to stop TOT in 2002 , but no one wanted to, until those guys were caught (I think 4 days before Halloween). Several law enforcement agencies were advising against TOT, they were also advising against gatherings and well going just about anywhere.

They are predicting severe thunderstorms with a chance of isolated tornados. Many of the towns around us have moved Trick or Treating to Friday night. Rain and snow? Eh. We'd cope. Lightening, high winds and possibly tornado outbreaks? Nope. We're not THAT tough. ;-)

Agree!

I remember going wearing a garbage bag as a witches costume because of rain on more than one Halloween.

I also remember having to wear winter jacket a couple of times.

Most of my memories are of good weather.

My younger brother went as a sack of potatoes one rainy year-a brown poncho with "Idaho, Grade A, 75 lbs" written on the front in Black Sharpie. My mom was definitely improvising. He got a haul of candy, too-I don't think many kids went out (I was a teen by that time and too sophisticated to TOT.)

Ours has moved trick or treating more than once. I know one year it was because ToT'ing fell on Sunday. They moved it to Sat night. I can't remember other years' reasons, but I know to check a few days ahead so we are prepared. we actually have a website that lists the area's ToTing days.

Here is a news article for this year. http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=23808079

No one really trick or treats before dark around here. We went out one year on Wed. around 5:30 or 6 and no one would answer the door. Same houses after dark answered and candy given.

My town rescheduled trick or treating one time and not because of weather.  The reason was because Halloween fell on a Sunday so it got moved to Saturday.  The problem: half the residents didn't get the message.  It was a huge FIASCO.  They never tried that again.

eta:  except my kids went trick or treating twice

It seems like every year this town screws up Halloween. If it's on Wednesday or Sunday, they move it. If it rains or snows-moved or canceled. They're complete wusses, if you ask me. Everywhere else I've lived, you t or t in snow or hail. There were no dictated rules besides going to houses with porch lights on.

We're expecting severe thunderstorms and high winds (tornado possibilities) so I'm glad that the county Sheriffs department has asked people to postpone their ToTing.  The problem is our particular city is just saying "parent discretion" so I guarantee there will be idiots driving around in pouring down rain, wind and lightning letting their kids dash from their cars to the houses. My porch light will be off but I'm sure, as happens every year after I run out of candy and turn off the porch light, I'll have kids banging on my door and ringing the doorbell anyway.  Especially since tomorrow they will have just braved a monsoon of cold rain to get to my door. 

I feel like the Halloween Scrooge this year. Bah Humbug!