Menu

S/O-what unpopular/lesser known movies do you love?

Mom in High Heels

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure whether the OP really meant "unpopular" or "not popular", but I don't have one of my own, anyway. My dh, however, whenever asked what his favorite movie is, would always say, "Wait Til the Sun Shines, Nellie". I thought he was joking, because he really isn't a movie guy at all. But several years ago, the movie was on TV one night and we watched it. I'd like to watch it again sometime.

I actually have a list of movies I really enjoyed. Of those, ones that are probably less well know (at least, I stumbled upon them rather than saw them advertised) include, in no particular order:

The Visitor

Bella

Walk on Water (Israeli)

Heartbreaker (French)

The Guard

Once

Warrior

Waking Ned Devine

These are mostly newer movies which had more to do with memory than anything else - reading this thread reminds me of others, like The Englishman who went up a Hill... .

I actually have a list of movies I really enjoyed. Of those, ones that are probably less well know (at least, I stumbled upon them rather than saw them advertised) include, in no particular order:

The Visitor

Bella

Walk on Water (Israeli)

Heartbreaker (French)

The Guard

Once

Warrior

Waking Ned Devine

These are mostly newer movies which had more to do with memory than anything else - reading this thread reminds me of others, like The Englishman who went up a Hill... .

I loved Once.  Thanks for reminding me - need to see it again!

I have to add another movie with a similar natural style to Once:

Strangers (Israeli)

A short film of the same name and by the same filmakers which provided the basic idea for the full movie is available on YouTube.

I've just downloaded Return to Me to watch, and saved this thread to refer to for my weekly movie treat.

Seconding Little Miss Sunshine. I saw it with a friend who got us tickets for a Mother's Day outing. She's a single mom of four (!). It had not been released yet so no one in the theater knew what to expect. I HATED it after 15 minutes and had to fight the urge to run out of the theater. By the end, I was laughing uncontrollably, standing up, clapping and cheering, along with the entire audience. My very favorite moment was when the little girl listens to her father's lecture and then orders the ice cream.

I also adore a very obscure Chinese movie called Together with You. Real tear-jerker, in the best way.

The Player

My Life As a Dog

I just thought of three more.

Korean rom-com: My Sassy Girl (free on Prime right now!)

...and two movies with characters that have Asperger's:

Adam

Mozart and The Whale

ETA: I think it's interesting that two of the best portrayals of people on the autism spectrum have been played by a husband and wife. Hugh Dancy in Adam and Claire Danes in the Temple Grandin movie!

I love some of those already mentioned (The Illusionist, The Gods Must Be Crazy, About a Boy....), but a few that I haven't seen mentioned are:

Memento

The Red Violin

Sleuth

Shirley Valentine

Believe in Me

The Spanish Prisoner (David Mamet movie, a bit strange, but good)

Something the Lord Made

Spanglish

Bat Thumb and Thumb Wars

This is Spinal Tap (maybe not so lesser known...)

Move Over Darling is another favorite; I did mention it before. I'm trying to remember Don't Eat the Daisies...

That is the one where the youngest son is an escape artist, (they have a lid on his playpen), and their big dog is scared of squirrels, (or something like that).

Empire of the Sun - just touches me in deep places that most movies don't

Music of the Heart (Meryl Streep) - love watching this story unfold

I am not much of a movie person, so it is rare that I find one I would be interested in watching more than once.

Over 100 posts and no one has mentioned my favorite:

The Count of Monte Cristo

Oh, oh, oh!  How could I forget this one?????

I also remembered another one:

Joyeux Noel

It's the story of the Christmas Eve truce between the Germans, French and British.  It's a great movie.

BTW, if you have Amazon prime, many of these movies we've listed are available to watch FREE!  Woohoo!

Ooooh... oohhh.... oooohhhh... I never think of these as "unpopular" because Sam Rockwell's in them, but...

Moon

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

and now,

The Way, Way Back

Maybe not so unpopular, as this thread will attest! But here are some.

My Cousin Vinnie

Harold and Maude

Rushmore

Muriel's Wedding

What About Bob? ( thanks for reminding me, Saraha!)

So I Married an Axe Murderer

My Big, Fat Greek Wedding (well known, but couldn't resist putting it in)

So many good movies.  I just have to add because I am surprised by how many people I talk to who haven't heard of it (this group may be different?):

Clue

CLUE!  Love Clue!  I'll watch pretty much anything with Tim Curry, and he's just genius in Clue.

Speaking of Tim Curry (he was in the play, not the movie):

My Favorite Year

Oh, how I love that movie!  It's also my favorite Broadway show.  I was lucky enough to see it with Tim Curry and Lanie Kazan (also genius).

Ooooh... oohhh.... oooohhhh... I never think of these as "unpopular" because Sam Rockwell's in them, but...

Moon

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

and now,

The Way, Way Back

Wow. I can't believe we made it to the third page without Moon!  What a great movie.

Some that have been mentioned already:

Idiocracy - Brilliant and sometimes it seems like the most accurate futuristic movie ever made!

Waitress

Babette's Feast - This one touches me deeply.

Also

Rachel Getting Married

The Quiet Man with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara

The Game

Waterworld - I MIGHT be the only person on earth who loves this movie

and finally . . .

High Strung - one of the funniest movies ever made. I would LOVE to hear from someone who has seen it. It stars Steve Oedekerk and Jim Carrey and has the most quotable lines ever. It has never been released on DVD but I have a friend who made me a version from an old VHS. Outside of my group of friends who discovered it, I have only ever met one person who has heard of it. Anyone???

Burnt by the Sun.  and a Chinese movie called To Live.  They came out the same year and tied, I think, for a prize at Cannes.  The first one is Russian.  They are both about families living through Communist times.  Warning: both have sad moments.  

I found it very interesting to compare the Chinese and Russian experience and attitude.