Menu

If you were going to do *only* 4 subjects...

For all of the elementary school years, what would they be?

Learning to read is a given so you don't have to say "Phonics/Learning to Read."

I am assuming that kids will do their own leisure reading/library visits etc... So, just assume their reading skills progressed each year as required. What would you teach if you decided to keep it simple for duration of the elementary years and teach only 4 subjects.

There is no right/wrong answer, I'm just curious.

I think I would go with

1) Mathematics

2) A Modern Foreign Language

3) Geography

4) Martial Arts or a Musical Instrument studied very in depth for 4 yrs minimum.

What about you?

**EDITED TO SAY: On 2nd thought, I might change out 4) for Science.

***Edited again to say that on 3rd thought, I wouldn't change it for science because a lot of "undocumented educational experiences" would still be going on in the house hold. I would coach, recommend and require certain books and topics be read on/researched just for what I consider general knowledge and I think all the science that is reasonable to expect for a kid in 4th or 5th grade to know can easily be covered in a very broad, rich and dynamic way from having a home environment that is purposefully educational without being formal. So, yeah, I think I'd stick to my original list.

Oh gosh.

*Read alouds (I'm assuming they are reading broadly from library books, but I'd also choose from a range of literature and subject areas as well.)

*Writing

*Math

*Music

Well, shoot, now I want to think about this further! It sounds much simpler than our current line up.

We basically do 4 subjects :-)

Reading: we read extensively in history, science, art, literature,Bible, poetry, geography, music...you get the idea 😉

Math

language Arts : spelling/grammar/ vocab/ writing

Phys. Ed.

I would like to add a 5 th subject, but I do not really consider it school, but life and that is the arts: Music, drama, art etc.

Science

Literature

Math

History

The only one of those "core classes" I might skip is history, because you can learn history through literature to some degree. I guess I could do foreign language in that spot. I absolutely would not leave off science, because I think understanding the world we live in is hugely important from a young age!

I assume sports and music are extracurricular.

Really, to me instruments and sports are extracurricular, so they don't count as a subject.

Anyway, isn't the basic school day in primary school k-3 or k-4 just 4 subjects, one recess, and one special each day? I think that is how it works here.

Math

Language Arts (all aspects- reading, writing, grammar, phonics/ spelling)

Science

Social Studies (history, geography, civics)

Recess isn't exactly a subject, but it has a time slot. Specials are things like art, music, PE, library, and computer and study skills. The kids go to one special each day, so they hit each special once per week. This would give you 5 subject blocks instead of four.

If I had to pull back to true basics for some reason, I would do reading, writing, and 'rithmetic. Then, I would include science and social studies topics in the reading and logic as part of math. Since reading and writing are both LA and I am including science and social studies topics in our reading, then I get 2 more. Today- I pick fine arts (music and art) and PE. :) My thoughts on this sort of thing change depending on the child and the day of the week.

Math

LA

Fine Arts

P.E.

HTH-

Mandy

For some reason, I've thought about this a lot over the last year or so....  and I decided on:

1) Latin (because we naturally incorporate a lot of grammar, vocabulary, and even logic into our Latin, so we get a lot of bang for our buck!)

2) Piano (beauty, order, discipline, artistic appreciation and expression, coordination)

3) Math (which includes more logical thinking)

4) Composition (learning to think critically and communicate thoughts, use grammar, vocabulary, and figurative language, make logical arguments, etc.)

Our life includes a lot of informally discussed history, science, literature, and Bible, so I'm assuming that would continue even if they aren't formal subjects.

Math

Thinking Skills (this is a core subject for us, including logic, critical and creative thought, philosophy, psychology, sociology, etc)

Composition (written communication skills, this would include grammar/spelling through trial and error)

Science

Edited to Add - Does Bible and Character count as a subject or as a general thing learnt through life? Science would be replaced by Bible/Character if it needed to be an individual subject.

To formally study, it would be:

Math

Science

History

Writing (It would be hard not to cover some grammar this way).

I am assuming by all the elementary years, you mean through grade 6?

For art, music and foreign language find ways to let them explore and discover independently.

Also, two of my kids (and I) do martial arts. I don't consider that a school subject at any age. Music lessons could be considered the same way.

Music is not extracurricular around here, it is a fundamental part of our homeschool.

Totally understand. My son plays mandolin and violin. He takes private lessons for both and plays violin in the county's junior orchestra. However, he would do this on his own time even if he attended a traditionally classroom, so I consider it extracurricular.

Mandy

ETA- and since the OP included it, so did I. Fine Arts is on my short list of four.

Math (problem solving, computation, concrete--->pictorial--->abstract)

Latin (grammar, vocabulary, spelling)

Composition (organization, mechanics, penmanship, spelling)

Music (theory, singing, instrument)

We would also continue with read alouds, audiobooks, and book basket (independent reading), which would cover Bible, Literature & Poetry, Science, History, and some Geography.

Literature - so much is learned through classic books and stories

Writing - incorporating grammar and spelling

Latin - incorporating grammar, spelling, and logic

Math

Our faith would be taught as a natural course of living - through our prayers, our talks at the dinner table, and our following of the liturgical year, so I wouldn't include it in the "only 4" subjects that I would be doing with the kids during the school day. 

1) Math

2) Writing (learn grammar through this)

3) Nature Study

4) Book Basket (includes read alouds, independent reading, and various books/movies on science, history, etc.)

This actually sounds wonderful!

I'm wondering if I shouldn't try it with my kids for a while.

1. Maths
  2. Writing
  3. Latin
  4. Piano

This is assuming we are reading and discussing the Bible and matters of faith as a family. This makes we realise we need to do this more!

I thought this would be hard/impossible, but it actually looks a bit tempting! It has certainly made me think about what is important to me. Thank you OP!

Emma

Okay, you said reading\library visits were a given so that takes care of classic literature, fiction, poetry, and science topics to include scientist biographies. So my other choices would be:

Math - logic is incorporated into this

Composition - which in our house is already taught by incorporating grammar, mechanics, spelling and vocabulary...we don't have separate subjects for each thing.

History - which includes geography and literature (books from historical time periods as well as historical fiction and biographies)

Latin - which covers grammar and vocabulary

Art is just part of our lives...happens almost daily in some form or another without any prompting by me. 

:thumbup:   So, I just described my 5th graders line up this year (my 2nd graders is the same minus the Latin) with the exception that we do 2 science experiments every Monday afternoon.   Last year we were so overwhelmed with subjects and I felt like we were just skimming the top of each one so this year we adopted the multum non multa method and absolutely LOVE it.  

As a CM mom, I am as far from only 4 subjects as you can get ;)

But here goes. Hypothetically, these would be the the only four subjects I would do with my dc:

1. Math

2. English (writing, grammar, vocabulary, spelling)

3. Rotating Art, Poetry, Music, Nature Study

4. Literature

Living books lying around on every single topic imaginable :)

Only 4?  In elementary....

Math

Language Arts (reading, lit, comp)

Science

History (which would, by default, include geography)

I don't count musical instrument practice, sports of any kind, scouting, etc., as a homeschool class - that's extracurricular and what PS kids do after school (at least until middle school).

Language Arts - This would include literature, vocab., spelling, grammar, writing etc. all rolled into one.  It would all flow very naturally from the books we read

Math

Science/nature study

History/geography

If there was a daily language partner available, I would swap out history/geography for a foreign language.  The history and geography can easily be done organically through literature instead.

Language Arts - This would include literature, vocab., spelling, grammar, writing etc. all rolled into one.  It would all flow very naturally from the books we read

Math

Science/nature study

History/geography

If there was a daily language partner available, I would swap out history/geography for a foreign language.  The history and geography can easily be done organically through literature instead.

:iagree:  If things were really chaotic, I'd switch over to Learning Language Arts Through Literature. We'd do that daily with Saxon Math, and alternate between 2 days of history (SOTW) and 2 days of Elemental Science. :001_smile:

Well, here in TX we are required to cover 5 subjects: math, reading, grammar, spelling, and good citizenship. The first four are skills, and the last is an open-ended pseudo-subject the parent has to figure out (and which could cover multiple subjects). This, however, does not mean TX homeschoolers automatically fail your 4-subject limit.

I'm not sure what the reason for the proposed limit on number of subjects is (time limits, or intimidation level, or other reasons). But I would like to point out that there are primarily 2 kinds of "subjects": skill-based and content-based. If you do your prep you can teach the skills in content classes, or use the content matter as practice material for skills lessons.

Crucial skills (my opinion):

Math

Reading

Spelling

Vocabulary

Word study

Grammar

Writing

Typing

Other than Math and Typing these could be grouped into one subject of Language Arts.

Science is largely content-based, especially in the younger years. However performing experiments and learning the scientific method require focus and practice, too.

My recommendation: focus on key skills, and use content matter (history, science, etc.) as exercise material (for reading, spelling, writing, etc.) DO get a good writing program (I really like IEW), and DO teach good typing posture and finger usage. Bad habits in typing are hard to break and can cause massively debilitating injury over the long term, so teach good posture, proper fingering and hand position, and make sure each child's typing chair and desk are at proper heights for them.