Menu

Anyone move from urban to rural and NOT regret it?

ksr5377

Somehow when I ponder the myriad of reasons I enjoy living in a major metropolis the proximity to Target stores ranks pretty low on the list.

Not that we don't have the choice of many Targets with-in short deriving range, but....

Bill

Hi Bill!

Ask your wife! lol

We did the move from a large city to a small town 15 years ago.  Jury still out!!! There wasn't a Target here when we moved here, but now there is one 5 min. away! When we took vacations, if dh saw the red bullseye, he knew we were stopping, how about getting two kid's wardrobes in 1 hour flat?

Its been rough being far from good medical care, I have had to drive far away A LOT.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who shudders when people talk about having to drive "only" 20 minutes to the stores? :eek:

I would be quite annoyed if it took me more than 5 minutes to get to several grocery stores and a couple of malls.

Well, in 5 minutes I can drive to the main intersection of our little community here in the woods.  There's a gas station and a convenience store, a feed store, an original one room log schoolhouse/museum and community center, a preschool, a bar, and three churches (how's that for a bar-to-church ratio? :p  ).  It also features one of our two traffic lights (up until a few years ago, it was the only traffic light around these parts).

When are you coming to visit?  :D

Ah ok, THIS is something I could live with.  I know of nothing like that in the US though.  Even if you live in a city public transportation isn't always great.

I have strong memories of my grandfather and his wife, who lived in the countryside.  He drove, she didn't.  He was very fit (and driving) into his nineties, but during his decline over a year of hospital and illness at home, his wife was very isolated: relying on neighbours, with family far away.  I know that 'not driving' is less common in the US, but older people do often have illnesses that make driving impossible or unwise.  So no, I wouldn't plan to live somewhere that didn't have public transport.

L

Hi Bill!

Ask your wife! lol

We did the move from a large city to a small town 15 years ago.  Jury still out!!! There wasn't a Target here when we moved here, but now there is one 5 min. away! When we took vacations, if dh saw the red bullseye, he knew we were stopping, how about getting two kid's wardrobes in 1 hour flat?

We switched countries too. We live in a medium sized village and can walk to two butcher's, a fruit and veg, and a small grocery. Twenty minutes from "real" shopping. An hour to great shopping. So country to us from where we were but like it.

When asked what I miss most about the US the answer that rolls off my tongue is my family and Target! Nothing as good here. I used to have a Target 5 minutes away!

there is really something to be said for stepping out your back door at night and looking up at a sky filled with starlight, as you hear noting but the wind rustling through the cottonwoods.

We've had many, many visitors who were surprised to see that there were so many stars.  For most of these, it was their first time ever seeing the Milky Way in person.

We did have one person who commented that it was "too quiet" making it "eerie."  They missed the traffic noise.  Most love the nature noises vs the city noises.  Many find it "took dark" here, but I love it.  Going out on walks at night is one of my favorite things.

Am I the only one who shudders when people talk about having to drive "only" 20 minutes to the stores? :eek:

I can be at school (work) or the bank/post office in 8 minutes (5 miles) or the grocery store where I do the bulk of my shopping in 6 minutes (4 miles). 

When we lived in the city it took me the same amount of time for the grocery store and bank, but longer to get to the post office.  It also took me 10 minutes longer than here to get to a small mall or Walmart (15 minutes here, 25 minutes there).  The distances are shorter, but the traffic made a difference.

I consider us semi-rural.  We have our space, but we're not all that far away from basics.  I can be in Baltimore or DC in a couple of hours (or a little less), but we don't go often as there's seldom a need.

Where I grew up was more rural, but grocery stores were still 15 minutes away and the post office was 5 minutes.  The closest big city was an hour away and it was Ottawa, Canada.

I would be quite annoyed if it took me more than 5 minutes to get to several grocery stores and a couple of malls.

I'm thinking that the whole rural thing wouldn't work for us, unless we lived right on the edge of a small town near a more suburban area. Then it could be the best of both worlds.

But I'd still need to be within an hour of a major city.

I'm one of those who is conflicted!

I lived rural for most of my life.  It was okay.  Seven years ago we moved right on the edge of a city of 100,000 and it's okay, too.

When we were rural I hated having to drive so far.  And we were only 30 minutes from most conveniences.  I enjoy driving, but it was such a time waster.  But I enjoyed the quiet and not walking out the door or looking out the window and seeing tons of other houses.  Some of the wildlife was neat.  Others (snakes) not so much.  DH hated having so much yard/land upkeep.  Here in town I love, love the convenience of having all sorts of stores and restaurants in just a few minutes' drive, and so many opportunities for the boys to easily participate in sports and volunteer activities.

We own 15 rural acres (inherited) that would be perfect for building on.  But so far . . . nah.  No strong desire.  I suspect I'll let nephew continue to farm those acres as long as he wants.  But occasionally I do think about what it would be like to put a house right in the middle.  But then I realize neither DH nor I are getting any younger, and staying here in town makes a lot more sense.

I like it out here, about half an hour from the nearest town. Petrol prices are a bit of a bummer when all your friends are an hour and a half away, so we don't get out as much as we'd like to. However, when we lived in the city, we couldn't afford to go anywhere either so on that point, there's no real difference! 

I can't imagine any reason good enough to get me back to the city's suburbs!

No, New York is where I'd rather stay,

I...get allergic smelling hay,

I...just adore a penthouse view,

Darling I love you, but give me Park Avenue :D

Bill (not cut out for rural)

I sing this regularly! We are in rural upstate ny, which is VERY RURAL!

I grew up in Brooklyn...very NOT rural. I love it here! It is a great place to raise kids! You get used to driving A LOT! I miss the culture, parks and social life in the city, but not enough to want to live there again. When I start getting antsy, we take a day trip!

Here they do have services for that.  Anything from medical taxis to rides for grocery shopping.  Public transport is so so where I am.  If I absolutely had to rely on it I probably could.  It wouldn't be fun, but it would not be impossible.

I think it was the dependency that was hard for her - getting onto a bus would have been independence; asking for lifts or arranging for some kind of service made her feel helpless.

L

We live somewhere between suburban and rural, and it is fabulous.  We are on a bit over four acres.  Walmart and Target and grocery stores are 15 minutes away, but we frequent the closest small town, which still has a smallish town feel in spite of building up more and more.  We have privacy and our kids can run amok on the land and have fun.  We love it.  It is truly the best of both worlds.  There are some down sides (no gas to the house, only electric; having to use satellite internet; can't bicycle to places - never did this anyway, though).  We don't pay city taxes, either.  It is a less regulated area.  We do live in a neighborhood, and all of our neighbors have at least two acres.  We've been here over 13 years.  :)

I have strong memories of my grandfather and his wife, who lived in the countryside.  He drove, she didn't.  He was very fit (and driving) into his nineties, but during his decline over a year of hospital and illness at home, his wife was very isolated: relying on neighbours, with family far away.  I know that 'not driving' is less common in the US, but older people do often have illnesses that make driving impossible or unwise.  So no, I wouldn't plan to live somewhere that didn't have public transport.

L

Here, service providers come to the home and there is transportation for medical and food available. It was started because of the number of older folks who needed it in rural areas.

The reason I like living in a city is how educated all the people are.

That's what I would miss in the country or even suburbia.

Emily

There are so many factors that go into a person's decision to live in the country vs. the city that I don't see how anyone could reach this conclusion.  

In our area, it's generally more expensive to live in the country (land is more expensive, the commute is longer so it costs more in gas, etc.).  One could argue that it takes a higher degree of education (assuming a correlation to higher income) to live in the country in some parts of the U.S.  But again, that's only one factor - and education doesn't always have a direct correlation to income, so this is exactly the kind of generalization that's probably best avoided. 

The reason I like living in a city is how educated all the people are.

That's what I would miss in the country or even suburbia.

Emily

Our neighbor has her PhD and is a college prof.  Hubby owns his own engineering firm (PE).  Our circle of friends includes both those who have gone to college and not.  It was the same way when we lived in the city.  I kind of like it that way no matter where I am.

Your post has me wondering about the statistics of each type of area though.  Some of the worst public schools are in the cities so I can't imagine everyone there is highly educated. 

.  I know that 'not driving' is less common in the US, but older people do often have illnesses that make driving impossible or unwise.

Where I am staying would be consider suburbia (kind of like outskirts of city style)  and there are quite a few senior housing where there are regular buses from the senior housing to the doctors/dentists, libraries, supermarkets and parks. The medical center we go to is rather big (polyclinic size)  and we always see the air-conditioned, wheelchair accessible buses from different senior housings.

We went to a state beach a few weekends ago and a senior housing bus came and the seniors had a day out at the state beach.

Don't regret it at all, and I say that knowing I'd have to use google to even figure out where the closest Target is. 

You'd be surprised how much money you'll save when you don't have easy access to recreational shopping and you feel the need to keep a pantry stocked with basics in case an emergency keeps you away from the stores for several weeks.

People are less educated here, but they are also kinder and have better values. 

It is looking like there's a very good chance that DH will be offered a job in his hometown with a salary that we could actually live on. About 4 years ago we were really hoping to make the move there. We would live next door to his dad and step-mom in the house his grandparents built on their farm. Well, finding comparable employment there proved more difficult than we anticipated. Now, 4 years later, I feel much more at home here in the city. We are involved in so many things and there are so many wonderful opportunities for homeschooling families here. I'm beginning to have doubts about moving that I didn't have 4 years ago. But I also love that my children would be able to live close to at least one set of their grandparents, as I was always very close to mine growing up. It's about 2 hours from where we live now, so it wouldn't be impossible to come visit old friends here, but it would be far enough to make it something that doesn't happen a lot. And the closest Target will be more than an hour away! :thumbdown:

Being near family would be worth it to me. I moved to a small town, but I don't mind that near as much as I mind being so far from my parents. I was 45 minutes from them and they came to my city often for doctors visit, shopping etc....now we are 2 1/2 hours away and not on their path to anywhere.

I lived on the edge a small village temporarily, about 40 miles from an urban area.

I was miserable. I had moved from walkable university neighborhood to base housing (both of which I absolutely loved) to the middle of nowhere. "Nature" was wonderful. Everything else...Blech. I could ride my bike to a crappy supermarket and a library but that was it. Most of Main Street was empty and boarded up. There was a pizza shop that opened after 3 PM.

And anywhere I rode my bike, I had a heck of a climb back to the house. It was on the top of a hill. It was insane. I was pregnant and the more pregnant I got, the wobblier I got trying to get up that hill.

I was so happy when we were able to leave.

We switched countries too. We live in a medium sized village and can walk to two butcher's, a fruit and veg, and a small grocery. Twenty minutes from "real" shopping. An hour to great shopping. So country to us from where we were but like it.

When asked what I miss most about the US the answer that rolls off my tongue is my family and Target! Nothing as good here. I used to have a Target 5 minutes away!

You don't know what you got til it's gone! I wouldn't list Target in my top 10 reasons for living plopped in the middle of a major metro area. But let me tell you, it would run to the top of the list of the first things I would miss if forced to move rural (along with the dozen grocery stores, farmers markets, and co-ops I frequent). I will rave all day about museums, theater, cultural events, etc. But there is something to be said for convenience.

I think I have the best of both worlds too because I can walk to horse and cow barns from my house, wooded hiking trails on a creek, we have a wonderful system of parks and trails. But I also live less than 5 miles from a downtown area (actually 2 - can you guess where I am!?).

People are less educated here, but they are also kinder and have better values.

Meh - when I lived rural and suburban, people were generally more gossipy and in your business. Or they just didn't care to get to know you at all. The people in my neighborhood are MUCH more welcoming of transplants and diversity. There is a definite priority to have and build community. I absolutely love my neighbors and neighborhood. I think these things can vary widely by community. I do live in a highly educated area - blocks from a college campus that has a training hospital, etc. But small communities with large medical facilities and/or college campuses can skew highly educated too. Some large urban areas are more factory based and blue collar. I don't think you can these stereotype these things.

You don't know what you got til it's gone! I wouldn't list Target in my top 10 reasons for living plopped in the middle of a major metro area. But let me tell you, it would run to the top of the list of the first things I would miss if forced to move rural (along with the dozen grocery stores, farmers markets, and co-ops I frequent). I will rave all day about museums, theater, cultural events, etc. But there is something to be said for convenience.

I think I have the best of both worlds too because I can walk to horse and cow barns from my house, wooded hiking trails on a creek, we have a wonderful system of parks and trails. But I also live less than 5 miles from a downtown area (actually 2 - can you guess where I am!?).

Target could fold tomorrow and I don't think it would effect our lifestyle one iota.

What I would miss (terribly) are ethnic food markets. Close by we have:

Japanese

Korean

Chinese

Vietnamese

Thai

Filipino

Sri Lankan

Indian

Pakistani

Russian

Ukrainian

Israeli

Persian

Armenian

Arab

Italian

German

Greek

African (Nigerian)

Jewish/Kosher

Mexican/Central Ameican

Argentine

And for many of the above there are multiple options. That's just close by. If I'm willing to drive a little the world opens up a lot more. You've got Ethopian, and Cambodian, and Dutch, and Indonesian, and Polish, and....you get it.

So living in a place were there was only a Piggly-Wiggly would be difficult.

Life without Target? They've got nothing I couldn't easily get elsewhere.

Bill

Wow awesome.

We don't have that many.

Although when I think of Target I don't think food. I think non food items. We don't have many options for nonfood. For food...well there are zillions of options.

I can't think of a single thing I could get at Target that I couldn't easily get elsewhere. Food or non-food.

Bill

Our move to rural from the 'burbs happened 2 years ago. So far it's been wonderful! 

For my former born & bred suburban husband the move was like meeting your first love. 

I think there are some aspects of rural living we'd romanticized that now live in reality, The hen coop, wintertime chores, and snowplowing the d r i v e w a y. 

The new things we discover are keep the enthusiasm high. Fresh cider, rose hip jam, berries, big bucks in caught on the trail cam, possibility of a wolverine, the walks, quiet, kids freely running all over the place. . . . 

I'd do it again even knowing my farm house doesn't have a dishwasher. 

Target could fold tomorrow and I don't think it would effect our lifestyle one iota.

What I would miss (terribly) are ethnic food markets. Close by we have:

Japanese

Korean

Chinese

Vietnamese

Thai

Filipino

Sri Lankan

Indian

Pakistani

Russian

Ukrainian

Israeli

Persian

Armenian

Arab

Italian

German

Greek

African (Nigerian)

Jewish/Kosher

Mexican/Central Ameican

Argentine

And for many of the above there are multiple options. That's just close by. If I'm willing to drive a little the world opens up a lot more. You've got Ethopian, and Cambodian, and Dutch, and Indonesian, and Polish, and....you get it.

So living in a place were there was only a Piggly-Wiggly would be difficult.

Life without Target? They've got nothing I couldn't easily get elsewhere.

Bill

I was just generalizing with reference to Target and day to day convenience. I think I can find close to that number of international markets, and yes, I love that too! I have a Polish and Norwegian market a couple miles from my house too. ;)

I actually do not buy much, if any food at Target. I actually frequent our neighborhood co-op and farmer's market much more. I still like being able to pick up some sweatpants, some paper towels,a birthday card, and a bottle of advil in one trip. It would not like to stop 4 places for that regularly as a full time homeschooling parent with 2 kids in tow. I do make a point to frequent our local and smaller businesses, especially those in my immediate neighborhood. A new brewery is opening this week. I better hit that soon!

Well, for example, OTC pills, towels, toilet paper, etc. Yes I can get them elsewhere, but the elsewhere would be quite a bit more expensive.

We have a store called Smart and Final (do you have those?) that is so close you can almost hit it with a rock. It has all the dry goods Target has. Often at better prices.

We don't really consume OTC pills, but there are plenty of discount pharmacies, and even Costco (which is probably cheaper than Target).

As for wine, we live equidistant between two amazing (and massive) wine stores: The Wine House and the Woodland Hills Wine Store. Both direct import really well-chosen wines, and— best of all from my perspective— is that while they have more expensive wines, they also carry amazing values in less expensive (but really good) wines. Both have huge selections of wines that are under $10, and far numbers that are $6-8.

Then there is Twenty Twenty, where one (theoretically) walk in and drop $2,000, or even $7,000 on a bottle. Not for me, but it's nice knowing if I ever hit the lottery I could blow my entire winning on superlative vino :D

Bill

I was just generalizing with reference to Target and day to day convenience. I think I can find close to that number of international markets, and yes, I love that too! I have a Polish and Norwegian market a couple miles from my house too. ;)

I actually do not buy much, if any food at Target. I actually frequent our neighborhood co-op and farmer's market much more. I still like being able to pick up some sweatpants, some paper towels,a birthday card, and a bottle of advil in one trip. It would not like to stop 4 places for that regularly as a full time homeschooling parent with 2 kids in tow. I do make a point to frequent our local and smaller businesses, especially those in my immediate neighborhood. A new brewery is opening this week. I better hit that soon!

My guess is Minneapolis-St Paul.

I have to drive about 35 minutes (or more, depending on traffic) to reach a Norwegian market. It really cuts down on our consumption of Lutefisk :D

Bill

No we don't have Smart and Final (hah..funny name).

I have acid reflux so I do buy stuff for that. And headaches. And seasonal allergies. Stuff insurance used to cover, but still nothing major.

Well you are in California so wine....ahhhh. Here you can only buy wine in wine shops. It can't be sold in the same store as beer and it can't be sold in grocery stores or any other type of store, but wine/liquor stores. Very annoying!

Where is that?

OK alcohol laws are very different from AR.

Well you are in California so wine....ahhhh.  Here you can only buy wine in wine shops.  It can't be sold in the same store as beer and it can't be sold in grocery stores or any other type of store, but wine/liquor stores.  Very annoying! 

There is Trader Joes for wine and liquor.  We buy the $2 (now $2.49) wine for fun.  We get FIL's Guinness Stout there.

CVS pharmacy with coupons is decent for Zantac, Claritin and Benadryl.

I grew up "in the sticks." I'm never going back. It's nice for an occasional "unplugged" vacation, but I don't have it in me to return to the land of 60-minute milk runs and bad Chinese food. My kids are teens now. They'd revolt! DH and I both hate yard work, so acreage is out. You can't make me go back!

I'm thinking that the whole rural thing wouldn't work for us, unless we lived right on the edge of a small town near a more suburban area. Then it could be the best of both worlds.

But I'd still need to be within an hour of a major city.

We moved from a suburb outside the state capital to a rural area of New Jersey about five months ago. Before we moved, we were five minutes from three grocery stores, a dairy, a farmers' market, a library, and many other stores. It was too close, IMO. We could see all the lights from the main street, and smell all the smells from Taco Bell, Wendy's, the pizza place, and the Chinese food place. We'd sit out on the tiny porch at night, and instead of the stars, we saw neon signs. Instead of pines and hay, we'd smell French fries and moo goo gai pan. No, thank you. (No wonder I was hungry all the time, LOL).

Now, we are 15-20 minutes from the nearest grocery store. It did take some getting used to, and we have yet to experience winter here. But we have two refrigerators (brought one from the other house), so we hopefully won't run out of essentials in the winter.

We are about 15 minutes from the library. It's a pleasant, pretty drive, with friendly people and a great selection of books. We don't mind the distance.

We are about 20 minutes from the nearest main shopping center (Flemington), and that's also a pleasant drive along country roads. That's also where there is a regional hospital and plenty of good doctors and specialists, if they are ever needed.

We are 10 minutes from church. :)

We are 45 minutes from my parents, which we felt was just about right and not as far away as the other states we considered (VA, PA, MA). They are getting up in age, and I didn't want to be more than an hour away.

We are two hours from either NYC or Philadelphia, but we have little to no desire to spend much time in the city. We just aren't city people, I suppose.

We can homeschool here in freedom, without government intrusion or interference, which was a huge factor in determining our choice of community.

This morning, I sat on the back porch and watched the sunrise, the goldfinches darting across the fields, the horses (our neighbors' horses) running in their paddocks, and the way the sunlight and clouds played tag on all things green. My husband brought me a cup of coffee. I never missed the city lights or the smell of Taco Bell.

:)

We love it here.

While dh and I prefer rural, my son has always dreamed of living in a brownstone or loft and riding subway trains.  I blame it on Seinfeld and Friends. This is what I see from my kitchen window(last year, won't look like this for a few more weeks)

I put your photo up on the screen and my husband came along and said, "WHERE IS THAT?" He loves fall foliage. ;)

Where do you live (state)? Not trying to be nosey, but curious. It's beautiful.

See... here's the deal. I think that how rural you want to be and how rural you can be might be two different things. We are not farmers or forest rangers or ranchers -- my husband only recently learned to tell the difference between corn and soybeans, LOL. :) So, we have to have a "city" way of making a living, and for us that means being near two major cities and several major airports.

We do dream.... Someday, we say we want to live even "farther out" than we are now. In about 15 years, I want to look out my kitchen window and be in your picture. :) KWIM?

But I might feel differently in 15 years, too. I might want to live closer to excellent health care, or closer to stores (doubt that) and neighbors (double doubt that), or closer to Factor X (the beach? the mountains? the prairie? warmer weather? cooler weather? lower taxes?). I think Laura wisely pointed out the importance of being close enough to the things we need, whether that is a job, a school, hospitals, or public transport.

Public transport is so poorly developed in most places in the US, that even people in the suburbs don't have great access. I don't think buses run on the country roads around here. At least, in five months, we haven't seen any at all. The nearest bus stop to us must be miles away, I have no idea. For now, we drive. Something to think about, though.

We need to be within 30 minutes of DH's work for when he is on call. We can only be so far from very urban hospital.

For us, we can be VERY rural, but still within 30 minutes of the state capital. Additionally there are several small towns within 20 minutes.

I will say that it does change the way that you have to shop. I usually buy stuff in bulk. We are those who buy the super enormous bottle of advil.

I regret it, somewhat.  None of you would probably think I am rural really, but to me (moving from Los Angeles), this is rural.

I feel like there really is just not as much to do here.  I get bored.  I miss having the beach 30 min. away, the mountains close enough for daily walks, large museums of all kinds, amusement parks, people from all over the world, high quality plays and performances, ah the list could go on and on.

It is really funny because last week I got together with a friend who moved to a smaller town from LA and she commented that in LA she felt claustrophobic.  I feel claustrophobic in rural areas.  I feel like I can't get out, there is just too much room between me and civilization.

For us, we can be VERY rural, but still within 30 minutes of the state capital. Additionally there are several small towns within 20 minutes.

I will say that it does change the way that you have to shop. I usually buy stuff in bulk. We are those who buy the super enormous bottle of advil.

That's cool!

30 mins. from DH's hospital is still our suburbs.

Plus, the 30 minutes means he needs to be in the procedure room in 30 minutes. So he has to count leaving our house, getting in the car, driving, parking, getting in the hospital and then getting to his department, etc...so it's probably closer to 20 minutes of drive time. If that makes sense.

I'm trying to get dh into the mindset that it's going to be in our future and we can do it LOL....we live in the city and don't like it-we are overseeing the care of his disabled dad (disabled+alzheimer's) and live in his dad's house. Both of us would like to get out of the city into the "county" area....I grew up in the country and the only thing I like about the city is the garbage pick up (they pick up in the country now too) and that it's more convenient for shopping LOL....I'm putting it into his ear that as soon as the bills are paid off we are going to concentrate on saving so we can MOVE......or sell this house and MOVE....I don't care-I just want out of the city....

I will be following this thread.  We will be soon making a similar move.  I have always lived in a suburb.  One-way streets, and strangers sharing my walls freak me out a bit.  But, until recently I never considered rural.  I work in what I what I sometimes call NorthEast Civilization (i.e. heavily developed).  We bought a house 25 minutes east in a town of 3000.  We will have one acre on Main Street.   

I am really excited about the move.  My husband gutted the house and is remodeling it on weekends.  We love the house and the elbow room.  People seem nice, the area has a good Feel.  My one worry is social.  My mother has always bad-mouthed small towns.  Mom and Dad eloped over the objection of both sets of parents and when Dad was drafted Mom lived with Dad's parents in their small town.  Everyone was QUITE certain that mom was pregnant at the wedding (eloped=pregnant), and she got a lot of significant looks at her belly and the cold shoulder.  When I was 9 at a funeral I had some of them insisted I was older than I really was, or that I was lieing about being an only child.  Even decades later my aunt got a call from someone in the town saying that I'd gotten divorced.  Aunt said No I hadn't.  Busy-body said "She is probably too ashamed to tell you"  Aunt said, "But I would know if she was married"  (This was pre-DH) Turns out it was my Grandmother's Sister's Grandson, and they were from the accepted branch of the family.  My main social concern is to find some good friends from the start as armour in case of gossip.  And a nice church.  My denomination isn't there.