Menu

The best city/state to live in (or another country) in your opinion

Ginevra

Portland metro area, Oregon.   We actually lived in the western suburbs.

We lived there for 9 years and loved it.  I still miss it so.  The weather is great (yeah, it rains but summer are gorgeous and there is no humidity).  Portland is an interesting, nice, small city.  The beach isn't too too far away (90 minutes?) iirc.   It's a pretty diverse population.  The state of Oregon is beautiful with lots of recreation opportunities.  Crater Lake, Mt Hood

It's probably  not a good  place if you want land close in.  When we left there was a definite trend to houses close together on small lots with greenspace in the neighborhood.  Older homes on large lots being torn down and several houses put in place. That was the negative for us.  The only negative that I can recall.

Well, for all I know you live in Oregon and hate it.

Well, for all I know you live in Oregon and hate it.

:laugh:  That would be funny. But no, I live in Maryland. I like some things about it - rich in history, plentiful choices, 4 true seasons, nice topography. I don't like the political climate. Or the expense. 

Everywhere I've lived, there were things I loved but also things I didn't like so much.   :)

I grew up in Freiburg, Germany.  Freiburg is in southern Germany near the French and Swiss borders (about 30 min. away from each).  I loved the beauty of the area, the mild climate, the rich history (e.g. the old downtown with original city walls still standing and buildings that were over 1000 years old), and the proximity to France and Switzerland.  It was a wonderful place to grow up and a fantastic base for exploring Europe.  Many of my family and school trips growing up were visits to other European countries.  On the not so bright side, the job market wasn't great and cost of living was high.  

I second marbel's recommendation of Portland, OR.  I lived there for 10 years and loved it.  Fantastic city, beautiful natural surroundings, with both the coast (I miss the Oregon coast!) and mountains only 45 min. away.  My only complaint about the Portland area is the constant rain 9 months out of the year.  Some people aren't adversely affected by that, but I am.  I need more sunshine.  But other than that, the Portland area really is an amazing place to live. 

We now live just north of Colorado Springs, CO.  This is a very beautiful area, with lots of outdoor recreation opportunities. The job market is average and the cost of living is very good (at least compared to Portland). We live about 2.5 hours away from some of the best skiing in the U.S., and IMO anywhere. When we want more culture, Denver is just an hour away. It's a smaller town (pop. 450,000) and a very transient community because of the large number of military bases here.  People are constantly coming and going, so I think it's easier to make friends here than in some other places - because chances are, the people you're meeting just recently moved to town and are looking for new connections.  My one complaint about Colorado Springs is the lack of water.  I really, really miss the Oregon coast.  Not having the ocean or at least a large lake nearby has made me realize that my "ideal place to live" includes close proximity to large bodies of water, and preferably, the ocean.  

I love Colorado Springs. But I agree about no proximity to an ocean. 

I have never been to Oregon, but I have thought before that I would like it there. Natural beauty ranks very high for me. 

Everywhere I've lived, there were things I loved but also things I didn't like so much.   :)

Dandelion said it best, there are positives and negatives anywhere. My pluses and minuses might be very different than yours.

Quill, if you can post a list of what you're looking for, you might get some good ideas about places that would be a great location for you.

I love to live in Kyrgyzstan, but that's just my opinion. I really liked living in Seattle and would be happy to go back there. I'd also like to live near Yellowstone again. And someday I'd like to live near the ocean, but it doesn't have to be in the US. I also thoroughly enjoyed living in Jerusalem and would like to live there again for a few years. Cairo too, but I don't want to go there right now, unfortunately.

There are about a million places I haven't been to yet that I want to live.

Dandelion said it best, there are positives and negatives anywhere. My pluses and minuses might be very different than yours.

Quill, if you can post a list of what you're looking for, you might get some good ideas about places that would be a great location for you.

I like natural beauty and deciduous seasons. I like a place where I can have substantial amounts of land and can grow things, so - gotta have some decent rainfall and temperatures. Somewhere homeschool friendly, with a lot of options for cultural exploration. Where work is not impossible to find, but that isn't as economically driven as where I live now. Somewhere property taxes are not so high. 

Ideally, I would love to be somewhere that has a high emphasis on fitness; where it is easy and practical to walk/bike places.  This is probably a difficult aspect, though, because I do want the land. Those two things are more often mutually exclusive, it appears. 

I like natural beauty and deciduous seasons. I like a place where I can have substantial amounts of land and can grow things, so - gotta have some decent rainfall and temperatures. Somewhere homeschool friendly, with a lot of options for cultural exploration. Where work is not impossible to find, but that isn't as economically driven as where I live now. Somewhere property taxes are not so high. 

Ideally, I would love to be somewhere that has a high emphasis on fitness; where it is easy and practical to walk/bike places.  This is probably a difficult aspect, though, because I do want the land. Those two things are more often mutually exclusive, it appears. 

The only place that I personally know that meets most of those criteria is Austin, TX. It's a laid back college/government centered small city with a lot of tech too. There's a lot of interest in fitness and cultural activities. If you are willing to live in the outer burbs, you could have land. If you're willing to live in the city, it could be walkable. There are 4 seasons, but there's a lot more summer than winter. Snow does fall occasionally. If you'd prefer more winter than summer, perhaps New Hampshire would work.

Good luck!

Ideally, I would love to be somewhere that has a high emphasis on fitness; where it is easy and practical to walk/bike places. This is probably a difficult aspect, though, because I do want the land. Those two things are more often mutually exclusive, it appears.

The west coast of British Columbia fits most of what you describe. Except property taxes not being high.

The west coast of British Columbia fits most of what you describe. Except property taxes not being high.

I can believe it. I visited Prince Frederick Island on my way home from Alaska. It was lovely and fascinating. 

We love living in eastern Scotland.  We are 15 minutes from the sea (you wouldn't want to swim, but it there are great coastal walks) and two hours from the Highlands, in the middle of rolling countryside.  The weather is temperate - it's green but not as wet as the west coast (the prevailing wind dumps all the wet on them before it comes to us).  We usually get some snow in winter, but it normally only lasts a week or two.  25 degrees C is about as hot as it normally gets in the summer, and that for only a few days.

You can find all kinds of people here: lots of university academics, plus farmers, craftsmen, etc.  If your children haven't been to school in Scotland, you have not need to report to the authorities that you are home educating.

ETA: and we are only an hour from Edinburgh, so we have museums, palaces, music, art and theatre very close by.

L

I would love to go back to Anchorage, AK.  It has all the beauty and fitness aspects you are talking about.  They have multi-use trails that run all over the city that are used for biking, walking, skiing, and skijoring and people really get out and do things.  There are no state income taxes, but the COL is high.  I would not want to be poor living there.  The weather is better there than other places in Alaska and many of the places like North Dakota.  In a lot of ways I really felt like I fit in up there.

Oodles of people have moved to South Central PA from MD.  ;)  I've really enjoyed living here and raising our boys on our farm.  Before that we'd lived in VA, RI, and FL after marriage and NY/NC respectively before.  PA definitely was the best (for us) of all of those, but I'll admit to only really liking our area of PA as it has more rolling hills and not the mountains much of the state has.  YMMV.

We've also visited 49 of the 50 states (missed Alaska).  Hawaii is the only one that seriously tempted us to move, but the COL there is terribly high (we'd sell our farm and be lucky to buy a condo) and it is just so far away from everything if one wants to go anywhere.

Now that we're looking at moving as the boys move away, we've been watching House Hunters International... there are some appealing foreign countries (we want a different experience in life).  We're still unsure about whether we want a "move" or just extended vacations though.  I do love our area and hubby's business is nicely ingrained (nice income).  Youngest is a senior now, so we'll see what opportunities arise and what our whims are - along with how much we'll be paying for college...

If you get HGTV, you could try watching some appealing episodes of House Hunters to see if areas might appeal to you - and relative COL in those areas (at least for housing).

:laugh: That would be funny. But no, I live in Maryland. I like some things about it - rich in history, plentiful choices, 4 true seasons, nice topography. I don't like the political climate. Or the expense.

You just need to move up over the line! We lived down where you do, and it was the same -- nice history and seasons, too expensive, and too busy.

We are so much happier up in south central PA. It isn't perfect, but I hope never to leave. Cheaper here too.

I really love where I live .  not many people for most of the year - long starches of beautiful beach, the bush right there  We are a 5 minute walk to the estuary and a 10 minute walk from the Ocean. the climate is terrific and it is in the best country in the world. :hurray:  :hurray:

That smells of patriotism, young lady! :svengo:

I have lived in IL my whole life and it really is home to me. Chicago offers museums, ethnic festivals, music, art, culture, bike trails. . .

Public transportation is fantastic.

Right by the lake - I have always loved living near it.

Best homeschool laws in the country! Very hands-off state.

You just have to get past the high cost of living and the corruption and politics . . .

Now that we're looking at moving as the boys move away, we've been watching House Hunters International... there are some appealing foreign countries (we want a different experience in life).  We're still unsure about whether we want a "move" or just extended vacations though.  I do love our area and hubby's business is nicely ingrained (nice income).  Youngest is a senior now, so we'll see what opportunities arise and what our whims are - along with how much we'll be paying for college...

If you get HGTV, you could try watching some appealing episodes of House Hunters to see if areas might appeal to you - and relative COL in those areas (at least for housing).

:drool5:  Yeah, I watch House Hunters Intl. a LOT...it makes me really want to just go. Get the heck out of Dodge. We're not in the same place yet WRT the kids, but I do have in the back of my mind what I call the 5-year-plan.  In 5 years, the two olders will be finished high school, but my youngest won't be in high school yet. This could be a good opportunity to move. After that, we'll be committed to staying where we are while youngest ds completes high school. 

Dh is very Amero-centric, though. I can't imagine him being amenable to moving to any other country. I'll consider it a wild success if I could get him to move substantially far from Maryland at all. 

I have lived in IL my whole life and it really is home to me. Chicago offers museums, ethnic festivals, music, art, culture, bike trails. . .

Public transportation is fantastic.

Right by the lake - I have always loved living near it.

Best homeschool laws in the country! Very hands-off state.

You just have to get past the high cost of living and the corruption and politics . . .

Yeah...the corruption and politics. I don't know if I could get past that. 

This is apropos of nothing, really. I just need cheering up and I want to look at places to live, even though it is not likely that we will move any time within the next 5 years...maybe never. 

Where, in your experience, do you love to live and why? :)

Well, for a whole host of reasons, it is my opinion that anywhere in Canada is better than anywhere in the US, which is where I lived before here.  I might hesitate if you told me I had to go much farther north than where I am now, though.  I'm still a weinie about winter. LOL! 

I also really liked the time I spent in Finland (Helsinki and surrounds) in the mid-1990's, but I was only there for 8 months.  I don't really know what it would be like year-round, but I loved the city and the people, and they were very open about how they felt about their country and government.  People are quite keenly observant of their government there, and aren't afraid to simply and quietly vote out an old guard to try out a new one.  I think Finns are very interesting people.  They have a sense of humour that is so very different from a N. American one.  It's quirky and kind of wild.  They can be very, very serious people, but when they let loose, they really let loose.  I had a wonderful, enlightening time there.

I feel that Canadians are similarly engaged with their government as the Finns were/are.  Canadians are willing to give a new party a chance, but if they mess it up, they're out.  We don't even have to wait 4 years to do it either.  We enjoy vastly more social and personal freedom here in Canada than other places I've lived, and we also enjoy vastly more compassionate social programs.  It isn't perfect, but when things don't work, people seem quite willing to get involved and try to make it work better.

Like the US, the cost of living varies widely depending on where you live.  The price of most things seems higher up here, but wages are also higher.  The unemployment rate is quite low in most provinces and very low in most (maybe all?) of the Western provinces.  There is a little joke in my area that goes: "If you can't get a job, it's only because you weren't breathing when you showed up to apply."  There are so many jobs available in my area that many manufacturers go overseas to try to bring in skilled labour and tradespeople.  If you drive a truck (a semi), you could have your pick of a dozen jobs easily.  The opportunities for entrepreneurship are also excellent.

I feel like Joe Walsh, "Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice..." I think I'll move to the PNW, probably Oregon, at some point. I hate snow and I hate humidity, both of which we have here. 

I've traveled a lot around certain parts of the country. I'd love a beach, none of those really in the midwest. I'd love some tall trees, more culture, more diversity. Ds wants to live in Japan, so I figure the PNW will be closer for him to visit. 

I snoop on zillow or realtor.com to see what's available around there some times. 

I love to live in Kyrgyzstan, but that's just my opinion. I really liked living in Seattle and would be happy to go back there. I'd also like to live near Yellowstone again. And someday I'd like to live near the ocean, but it doesn't have to be in the US. I also thoroughly enjoyed living in Jerusalem and would like to live there again for a few years. Cairo too, but I don't want to go there right now, unfortunately.

There are about a million places I haven't been to yet that I want to live.

Oh my goodness...the places you've lived.  Sigh.  :001_tt1:

:drool5:  Yeah, I watch House Hunters Intl. a LOT...it makes me really want to just go. Get the heck out of Dodge. We're not in the same place yet WRT the kids, but I do have in the back of my mind what I call the 5-year-plan.  In 5 years, the two olders will be finished high school, but my youngest won't be in high school yet. This could be a good opportunity to move. After that, we'll be committed to staying where we are while youngest ds completes high school. 

Dh is very Amero-centric, though. I can't imagine him being amenable to moving to any other country. I'll consider it a wild success if I could get him to move substantially far from Maryland at all. 

Yeah...the corruption and politics. I don't know if I could get past that. 

My DH is similar to yours in that aspect.  He's lived in 1 town most of his life.  Every once in awhile we toss around the idea of moving, and truth be told, I don't know if he'll ever do it. 

I'd especially love to move out of country.  But I'd settle for, right now, maybe the chance to move out of state!  :P

My favorite place was Duluth, MN.  It's a big enough city to have amazing cultural and arts opportunities, but because it's Minnesota, people are super nice and it has a small town feel.  Because it's on Lake Superior, it's almost like living on the ocean, but without dealing with hurricanes or insane coastal cost-of-living.  They have the Skywalk, so even in the winter you can walk all over the city, and they have trails following the lake with views that will take your breath away.

The smallish town we live in now is great too, but if dh's job ever transferred him to Duluth, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Well I can tell you where I want to live, and that's Denver! DH is looking for his next career, so you never know where we will end up :)

I live in northern Colorado and I think most of Colorado is awesome.  I wouldn't want to live out on the plains necessarily, but the rest of Colorado is beautiful.

Colorado is, by far, my favorite state.  I've lived in Denver and Colorado Springs, and it's a toss up as to which would be my favorite.   My big dream, though, is to live in Ireland.  I've never been, so I can't narrow down any particular part, but I dream about getting to live there some day.  Barring that option, my next move will be to Colorado if I can manage it.

:laugh:  That would be funny. But no, I live in Maryland. I like some things about it - rich in history, plentiful choices, 4 true seasons, nice topography. I don't like the political climate. Or the expense. 

]

don't forget the humidity!  For some reason it's been unbearable this past week.  Usually end of Aug. is nice.  Ugh. I've felt like a roasting pig every time I move (and I have air conditioning).

I'm always pining for another place.   I'd love to live in the PNW or the mts. of TN.  Have no idea how good these places are, and I doubt I'll ever get to live in either place, but one can dream...

]

don't forget the humidity!  For some reason it's been unbearable this past week.  Usually end of Aug. is nice.  Ugh. I've felt like a roasting pig every time I move (and I have air conditioning).

I'm always pining for another place.   I'd love to live in the PNW or the mts. of TN.  Have no idea how good these places are, and I doubt I'll ever get to live in either place, but one can dream...

Yeah, no joke. I've always lived in this humidity, though. I don't know what it would be like to rarely have that. 

I walked a brisk mile at the park today and was wringin' wet by the end of it.  :glare:

I feel like Joe Walsh, "Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice..." I think I'll move to the PNW, probably Oregon, at some point. I hate snow and I hate humidity, both of which we have here. 

I've traveled a lot around certain parts of the country. I'd love a beach, none of those really in the midwest. I'd love some tall trees, more culture, more diversity. Ds wants to live in Japan, so I figure the PNW will be closer for him to visit. 

I snoop on zillow or realtor.com to see what's available around there some times. 

When we lived in Oregon, we had friends there whose son was very interested in the Japanese culture. He studied Japanese in college, and when he graduated he got a job in Japan teaching English. He loved it so much he's decided to stay, married a lovely Japanese woman and still teaches there.

Our friends find traveling from Portland to Japan convenient and fairly affordable. Oregon would be a good home base for those with family in Japan.

I love Colorado Springs. But I agree about no proximity to an ocean. 

I have never been to Oregon, but I have thought before that I would like it there. Natural beauty ranks very high for me.

Yes do come visit. There are several locations in Oregon that would meet your criteria. ;) I can't tell you if Oregon is the best though as I have only ever lived here.