Menu

"Gift" as a verb - does this bother you?

musicianmom

I don't think it's a new term. Seems like I've heard it for years now. And I like it. IMO it sounds more grateful.

The more I think about it, the less I dislike it. There is a positivity to it that "give" lacks. Nobody gifts you a speeding ticket or a disease. Somebody might give you an argument or a hard time. I'm reluctantly coming around to verbifying gift (though I doubt I'll ever use it that way myself).

As for construction, I think I like it paired with "with." Much like you'd be blessed with, you could be gifted with. 

And I'm spending way too much time thinking about this. Couldn't be because I'm putting off cleaning the oven...:)

It's not new to me. Hmm... I looked it up online and the website Grammarist says it has been used as a verb since the 17th century. Is that not correct?

Probably, but I only started hearing it in conversation within the last 3-5 years.

And thanks to the other posters, I now know why the term has risen in popularity.

I think it's pretentious.  'Meaty' to describe anything bugs me, too.

:lol:

I don't even like "party" as a verb, but I know that ship has sailed.

:smilielol5:

And just to be clear, I'm laughing *with* both of you, as someone for whom the whole spectrum of language is fascinating.

It drives me nuts :)

I've also got a problem with all the news agencies and other organizations who "reach out" to someone for comment.  I'm probably alone on that...

You are not alone! I hate the term "gifted" and don't reach out to me unless I'm drowning and you're wanting me to grab a life preserver. 

I also find it irritating when someone adds, "as a family" to the end of whatever their plans are. "We're going to the park as a family." What else would you be going as? A sleuth of wild bears?

Yea, it bothers me. I tell my kids that you shouldn't verbify nouns. There are many nouns that people use as verbs. Google. Paypal. Gift.

They laugh and continue on their way.

Wait...isn't 'verbify' turning a noun into a verb! :lol: 

You should not use nouns in place of verbs. :P

Text is another noun turned verb that you hear a lot.

The only one that bothers me is 'conversate". shudder...it's converse, people,. We converse. We do not conversate. We have conversations!

Bothers me immensely.  And don't get me started on the resurgence of "reason why," as opposed to "reason"; the death of the subjunctive mood; "there's" with a plural object (seriously, radio ad people:  get. it. right.); and stupid Facebook's telling me every blasted time that "Katie has updated THEIR profile picture."  

Hell in a handbasket, that's what where we're going.  Nobody even cares any more.  Well, except me.  I care.

Bothers me immensely.  And don't get me started on the resurgence of "reason why," as opposed to "reason"; the death of the subjunctive mood;

And let's not forget the conditional either. I can still hear the phrase from french grammar class...'si j'etais riche j'acheterais un chateau' If I were rich I would buy a castle.

the language lover in me is fascinated.

:iagree:

I used to much more of a stickler for proper usage.  However, now I am more fascinated by how languages evolves.  Like it or not, they evolve based on how language is used.  Eventually, the new usage can become the standard usage.

Isn't it just awesome that "awful" used to be deserving of awe?

On the other hand, I have one DD that gets upset at how often "decimate" is used to mean "devastate."

And let's not forget the conditional either. I can still hear the phrase from french grammar class...'si j'etais riche j'acheterais un chateau' If I were rich I would buy a castle.

It pains me too much to even speak of such things.  I JUST covered this with my adult ESL class.  It was yet another, "If you mess this up, no one but me will know," moments.  They look at me like I have sprouted an extra head, but they are sweet and play along.

It drives me nuts :)

I've also got a problem with all the news agencies and other organizations who "reach out" to someone for comment.  I'm probably alone on that...

You are not alone. I recently posted about just that term, and others, in a post about jargon. I can't stand it.

Yes, it irritates me to no end.  But not as much as my cousin's many posts on FB that begin "This week I PURPOSE to....[fill in the blank - usually something all Christian-y like 'Read the Bible from front to back']."

For a long time I thought she was spelling "propose" incorrectly.  But no - she is actually using "purpose".  I told her it's a noun.  She said grammar doesn't count any more because nobody cares.