Menu

What's for dinner? August 20 edition

nmoira

Uck... menu plan for today -- I'm bad and haven't done my shopping past Monday -- has gloppy cooked spinach and a gloppy lentil side. I can't think of anything more unappealing that doesn't involve beets.

Casting about, I've decided on these fish tacos (from one of my favorite foodie/lifestyle blogs), because it looks great and I'm only missing the fish, tomatoes, and red cabbage.

Fabulous Fish Tacos with Fiery Peach Avocado Salsa

My youngest I'll give lightly seasoned fish and some avocado mashed with a bit of lime juice spread on a tostada, with a side of grapes and a couple peach wedges.

Middle son requested sweet and sour chicken for his birthday. We'll also have rice, peppers, and nectarines.

We're getting ready to move in a few weeks, so our meals are probably going to start being a little eclectic since we need to eat what's in the pantry and freezer.

Caesar salad with tangy shrimp. And some sort of other salad with beans and stuff from the garden.

I also have some leftover deviled eggs and mozz/tomato/basil salad.

So basically a variety of things.

You had me at deviled eggs, but I think it's the first time I've heard of such a thing as leftover deviled eggs. How many do you have to make at once for this to be possible?

Well, we're having lentils but they're not gloppy. I cook them al dente. It's so hot and humid that our A/C unit is working overtime and I don't want to heat up the kitchen. We're having this lentil salad, minus the cabbage (I've made it with and without and both are good) and some homemade bread. I cooked the lentils this morning before the house heated up, and I have bread in the breadmaker so I don't have to turn on the oven.

Moira said: but I think it's the first time I've heard of such a thing as leftover deviled eggs. How many do you have to make at once for this to be possible?

:D I don't think I've ever heard of leftover deviled eggs either. How does that happen?

Mongolian beef stir-fry here, with whatever veggies are still fresh enough to use! Hoping the spinach is okay, plus carrot and red pepper. I'm guessing I waited too long for the mushrooms to still be okay (this was supposed to be a dinner last week but dh got sick and I'm not cooking it for just the girls as it's not their favorite). We'll also have rice and homemade strawberry ice cream for dessert.

Someone posted a cabbage rolls recipe here recently and mentioned that it could be layered in the crockpot so I put that together this morning.  I was suppose to take the kids to the waterpark (but one kid is running a fever and another refuses to eat her lunch so we aren't going now) and wanted something to be ready when we got home.  I'll either steam some broccoli, or make a salad to go with it.

I'm excited... We're going out to my very favorite Italian place tonight for my birthday dinner! No cooking, no dishes, delightfully yummy food!!

Happy Birthday! What's your favorite item at your favorite Italian restaurant?

all SO healthy for me, right?? ;)

Enough of that talk, young lady. Birthday dinners are exempt from many and all nutritional considerations. Enjoy!

Birthday dinners fall in the same category as food eaten on vacation and food that started out on someone else's plate :lol:

I'm keeping that one. :)

I can't decide which takes the least effort. Spaghetti with jarred pasta sauce and browned ground beef, or getting cuter so DH will be inspired to take me out. I'm leaning towards the sauce.

If you figure the bolded out, please do tell as I would love to give that a try  :laugh:

If you figure the bolded out, please do tell as I would love to give that a try :laugh:

I actually went with 'Get Cuter.' I swapped my boxy, stained t-shirt for a clean, fitted one and put on some mascara and tinted lip balm. I even de-frizzed my crazy hair. I then offered up the pasta dinner and DH decided we'd go for pizza.

It's very subtle. If I want better restaurant choices, I put on a skirt, fix my hair, and wear better shoes. I pretend I'm not doing it on purpose and he pretends dinner out was all his idea. We never actually talk about it. I'll bet normal couples don't resort to PSYOPS when they plan dinner.