Menu

Feeling lied to-but also scared.

Dmmetler

I took my 7 yr old minivan in for an oil change today-and the shop is recommending about $2500 worth of repairs-all supposedly things that if they're not fixed immediately could have dire consequences.

My gut feeling is telling me that the guy (who is NOT the same one I've taken the car into in the past-I'm guessing the shop has been sold) is, at minimum, exaggerating based on the "mom with a car seat in the minivan and kid activity magnets on the back bumper" tax.

But it worked-I told them that we'd have to figure out what to do and that we weren't doing the work today, so finish the oil change and give me my car back-and then, halfway home, was fighting tears because the scare tactics worked-I'm now terrified to drive my van, especially knowing that we have a trip planned fairly soon.

We're going to get a 2nd opinion-honestly, if so many things are really breaking and leaking and falling apart, it might be better off to trade the van in while it still runs at all. But I hate feeling like I can' t trust the "Experts"-but not having the knowledge to be able to know for sure.

That stinks, sorry!

Our diesel jeep has been a bear this year and I'm certain it's because the dealership mechanics have no idea what to do with it. We just spent over $1000 fixing it and yesterday it had the exact same symptoms again. They want to charge us another couple hundred bucks. I feel like it will never really be fixed and also that they are messing it up. They have (twice) forgotten to re-connect things like the A/C, the cruise control, and the underdash panel! If they forget the easy stuff, I figure they're really doing a number on the car's guts.

Try not to let the scare tactics work- glad you're getting a second opinion!

What's frustrating is that I thought this shop WAS reliable-but I don't get that feeling about the new folks. So I guess we'll be looking for a new mechanic. I've asked for recommendations locally.

Based on you-tube, I'm feeling even more lied to. I'm simply not seeing the signs that supposedly you'd see/hear if the problems they supposedly found were as bad as they said they were.

I understand how hard it is to find a reliable mechanic. My sister is going through this now. She is a single mom so she goes in by herself to take care of her car. She recently was given an estimate of $2500 worth of repairs. I read through the list and told her if she wanted all that done, my SO could do it for much less. She got a second opinion and they told her her car was in really good condition, recommended a radiator fluid flush (I think that was what it was) and sent her on her way. My sister is paranoid about her car and it helped to get a second opinion. Now that it is warming up, now her car is starting to smell like gas (again). *sigh* I'm waiting to see what is recommended because no one can seem to find a problem.

I totally understand! It's the most frustrating thing - I feel as though I have a "Cheat Me!" sign stuck to my forehead.

Have you ever listened to Car Talk on the radio? On their site you can look up different mechanics in your area and read reviews on them. Maybe that would help to find someone reliable?

http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Hth!

Second and third opinion, girl!

I had a similar thing happening very recently and I know the sinking feeling.

Take it to another mechanic. Ask among your friends who they trust or if there is a do-it-yourselfer among them who can take a look.

Don't let one eager guy ruin your day!

That stinks, sorry!

Our diesel jeep has been a bear this year and I'm certain it's because the dealership mechanics have no idea what to do with it. We just spent over $1000 fixing it and yesterday it had the exact same symptoms again. They want to charge us another couple hundred bucks. I feel like it will never really be fixed and also that they are messing it up. They have (twice) forgotten to re-connect things like the A/C, the cruise control, and the underdash panel! If they forget the easy stuff, I figure they're really doing a number on the car's guts.

Try not to let the scare tactics work- glad you're getting a second opinion!

Sounds like you too need a different mechanic. Our Jeeps have been very reliable.

:grouphug: their are definitely unscrupulous business owners in all fields. is the car making funny sounds, sluggish responses, overheating, burning through oil, etc? how many miles and what kind of maintenance have you done? if none of the above, and maitenance has been good - he's probably trying to take advantage. this is a field I've definitely met some mysogonists who are happy to take advantage if given a chance.

get your second opinion, and never go to that place again. (and I would NEVER, EVER have a lube/oil place do any work on my car other than a cheap lube or oil. if that. even if it needed other work. they have a reputation for looking for things to charge customers with - especially if they don't have alot of business.)

Take it to someone you trust, but don't just "dump" it on someone if the van is, in fact, about to tank. My van started acting funny about 3 months after I bought it used from a dealership. The trusted mechanic in town had dire news, to the tune of $4000+. I trusted him, but had to drive away wondering what I would do. He actually recommended I take it back to the dealership to see if they would help me. Four days later it died on the freeway. The prior owner had ignored a recall and when trouble began to finally show, traded it in so I could have the fun of a $4600 repair on a vehicle I paid $11,000 for three months before.

I would call them back and get a written estimate that lists the diagnosis, repairs, parts and labor. Then I go for a second opinion and compare notes before making a decision.

(The garage is unlikely to put it on paper if it's fishy.)

Look at the mileage on the car, and whether or not the scheduled major maintenance tasks have been done or not. You should have a maintenance schedule in your owner's manual or with it. If the mechanic is recommending that scheduled maintenance be done, in the case that is hasn't, he isn't lying to recommend those things be taken care of.

Our own van is getting a new timing belt today. That was recommended at 90,000 and the van is at 97,000....so I wanted it done. I'm having a few other scheduled maintenance things done as well. I am a believer in scheduled major maintenance.

For today, I would stick with the oil change. I would go back with a notebook and make a line for each item he is recommending, and why (either he sees an obvious problem, or sees wear, or it is a recommended maintenance item), and the cost (parts plus labor) he will quote you for. Then take that home, discuss with partner, and decide.

The prior owner had ignored a recall and when trouble began to finally show, traded it in so I could have the fun of a $4600 repair on a vehicle I paid $11,000 for three months before.

That's totally on the dealership. Don't they give you a warranty on the used car? Most of them around here do. When you trade a car in, the dealership is supposed to go over it carefully and they're supposed to stand by the used cars they sell. If they don't, they really don't deserve to stay in business. Warn your friends about them and post negative reviews wherever you can.

I would take your concerns seriously but I would get an itemized estimate in writing and have a second opinion before making any decisions.

The local oil shop diagnosed serious problems with my MIL's Envoy, she doesn't pay attention to maintenance very well at all we have discovered. My husband checked it out and did the repairs for her but it would have been very costly to have had repairs done in a shop. Other times their suggestions have been ridiculous. Some minivans are known to have specific problems depending on maintenance, mileage, and road and weather conditions where you live (such as those with the strut towers). It could be that there is a problem, or they could be trying to do work that doesn't need to be done.

Aways get three quotes for car repair, home repair and heating installation. My DH works at a college buying everything they need from computers to desks to electricians, etc. He says the college standard is tonalways get three quotes.

Ever since we've been doing that at home, it's been paying off. We got three quotes for the roof, three for the heating, three for the kids' braces.

First, you can pick the best deal, and second, a third quote breaks a tie if you get opposite opinions from the first two.

Right before our trip to Indiana I took our van to a chain car shop to get the oil changed. I went there because they had a coupon. They heard me talking to my children about our trip and then told me I couldn't go unless I had all these repairs made. One of the things they said was that three of my tires were separating. I just got my oil changed there and then went straight to my tire place. They offered to put my car up on the lift and show me my tires, they said they were perfectly fine. I will never go to the first place again.

The last was really what made me pause-they're saying a bunch of gaskets and the like are leaking (seems plausible-although I question why they were all supposedly fine at last oil change). That shocks and struts need replacement (not far off the manufacturer recommendations, although a bit early) and that all four tires (all of which are about 2 years old) are rotting. The last I really question-simply because they ARE well within their supposed lifespan. It's the total, plus the fact that it hasn't been that long since we did a lot of maintenance at 50k miles, plus the whole attitude, which really came out sounding like I was putting DD's life at risk to put her in the van at all that made me question whether this was all real, or whether it was "woman driving a mom-mobile who doesn't know about cars-what can I sell her?" The "we have a new credit card that's 12 months, no interest" was the icing on the cake. Even if the repairs are needed, I don't trust them to not have padded the bill, or to Dow good job-it felt that sleazy.

I've gotten a couple of recommendations from local people.

Sigh....

Take it to someone you trust, but don't just "dump" it on someone if the van is, in fact, about to tank. My van started acting funny about 3 months after I bought it used from a dealership. The trusted mechanic in town had dire news, to the tune of $4000+. I trusted him, but had to drive away wondering what I would do. He actually recommended I take it back to the dealership to see if they would help me. Four days later it died on the freeway. The prior owner had ignored a recall and when trouble began to finally show, traded it in so I could have the fun of a $4600 repair on a vehicle I paid $11,000 for three months before.

Did you take it to that mechanic pre-purchase? I never reccommend buying a used car without a pre purchase inspection. My mechanic does it for about $45-60 and will tell you what is coming due.

CarFax will let you know if there are any open recalls on a vehicle to help you avoid something like this. That situation stinks!

Sounds like they are trying to scare you. Do you have a Les Schwab near you? They have a good reputation and will check your tires. Around here there is Discount Tires. They air my tires up for free and I've always found them to be honest when it comes to the condition of the tires on our van.

This is why it is worth reading up on your cars maintenance needs and design. Even if you don't want to do the work yourself, it's nice to know when people are making sh!t up in order to land a big sale. I've had oil change guys try to tell me this or that needed replacement when I had already done exactly what they said was needed. Another time when I took a Corolla for a tuneup at a chain place they tried to bully me into thousands of repairs. I left because I don't put up with that, found a reputable, honest place to do the tune up instead and they said the car was in perfect condition. Don't worry. Get another opinion and carefully scrutinize their written estimate. Most likely you only need 1-2 things done or maybe even none. Don't let the safety guilt trip thing work on you.

Honestly it's stuff like this that makes me think I should open a mom mobile mechanic shop. Get a bunch of women mechanics and build the business reputation around honesty and no mom bs guilt. Perhaps offer a maintenance class for moms. I think it would be a draw!

Heck I take my car to Walmart, they will tell me is something is messing with my tires. They can only tell me what might be wrong though since they are not authorized to do more. They have told me about bad ball joints and such.

I do miss the mechanic we had in Georgia, he was honest and willing to work with you as far as costs and would let you make payments. I "think" I might have found a decent mechanic here but not sure yet, they haven't done enough repairs on my car yet :)

I feel your pain. We just had $1900 worth of repairs done on our 2003 VW Passat Wagon. The check engine light is off, but the brake light is still on and it's making some weird noise while I'm driving, which is wasn't before. I have to take it back on Friday.

My father was a mechanic and always did all our work. He was an honest mechanic too. He got sick in 1997 and passed in 2003, and I haven't found a mechanic I can trust trust since him.

We use Tires Plus/Firestone. In Jacksonville, we were happy with TP, they had been recommended to us by more than one person. Here in Houston with Firestone, not so happy.

I'm no auto expert but I googled and found this regarding shocks and struts:

Here are the signs that you may need new shocks and/or struts:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Front end dives when braking

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Rear end squats when accelerating

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Vehicle bounces or slides sideways on a winding, rough road

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Vehicle "bottoms out" (with a thump) on bumps

In addition, worn shocks and/or struts can accelerate the wear of your tires and suspension parts ... the ball joints, steering linkage, springs and C.V. joints.

Shocks don't generally just fail overnight. The biggest thing your going to notice first is a bumpy ride. And tire generally don't just rot off the wheels. At two years old, they might still be under warranty if they are wearing poorly. Of course this is a scare tactic!

Why feel guilty driving an 'un-road-worthy' vehicle? You know it's not. It was fine when you took it in for an oil change and it's still fine. It might need maintenance, all cars do from time to time, but driving home isn't any more dangerous that driving to the oil change place. Take the time you need to look into his claims. If you believe there may be truth to his claims, ask for a written estimate. Then call other places around town and ask for their prices. Deep breath. He's playing on your 'Mommy' impulses and hoping to make a quick sale.

I know how you feel, we are going through the same thing with our Suburban.

We had a leak from the radiator that we didn't know if it was the radiator itself or a hose. Took it to our usual guy, who we do trust usually, and it was the radiator - $965. :glare:

Drove the car two days later and the battery died. Deader then I've ever know a battery to be - the locks wouldn't even work. Brought it in, they mentioned a wiring problem they've been seeing and suggest bringing it to the dealer. The last dealer we worked with I didn't like at all, felt like we were being conned, so we took it to a different dealer.

Battery problem was just a loose cable BUT they found problems with the 4WD and something else - another $1800 - and BTW, while driving it after doing the repairs they realized there is also a problem with some valves. Doesn't need to be done immediately but should be seen to soon. Another $500 if they do it.

We would trade it in but it's still less than taking on another car payment would be and we are very strapped for money right now. We need a vehicle big enough to tow an 18 foot boat so we're talking $$$$.

*hugs*

I had this way back when I had a conversion van. I took the van in for new tires and an alignment and got told I needed new tie rods and ball joints. What the shop didn't know was that I needed the alignment because those parts had just been replaced by my DH and his boss. I told them I didn't need it, and the shop claimed it was in such bad shape that they couldn't let me leave in good conscience because the van was so dangerous. They wouldn't take it off the rack. I pulled out my cell phone and pretended to dial a number. When they said, "Yeah, honey, call your husband. We're still not giving it back." I told them I was calling the Sheriff's office to report my vehicle stolen. You wouldn't believe how fast my van got off that lift and the keys given to me.

I don't need to tell the story of the rebuilt engine someone tried to sell me as a crate engine...they didn't know I had tried to order a crate engine and they were no longer being made.

Always, always be suspicious if you're female and dealing with a mechanic. Get multiple opinions. If you find a reputable one, take care of them. It sucks to have to be distrustful, but with the way most mechanics are it is unfortunately necessary.

Definitely a second opinion. I have had the scare tactics used on me from local mechanics to dealers. The last time I had my van at the dealer (8 years ago) they told me something was in bad shape and basically my engine would fall out of the car any minute. The engine has yet to fall out. The last time I had my van at firestone for an oil change they told me I needed to flush the radiator and replace the hoses. That would be the radiator my usual mechanic just replaced the week before. I told them I would take that under advisement.

There are plenty of shady mechanics/dealers out there ready to take advantage of people. It is very frustrating.

I'm in the middle of car stuff this week too. Luckly my garage is good but I've definitely experienced the nonsense from car mechanics and in motor factors where they often check what I am buying with any man I happen to be in there with. My car has a permanent very slow oil leak that can't be tracked down. It's likely a gasket going somewhere. This mechanic has said its not worth worrying about as its not losing any significant amount.

I've been doing quite a few car repairs the last few years, it really does help get to know your car in these situations.

Joining in with me oil change scare tactic story. My mom had driven in from out of state to visit. Her car was less than a year old, since she had made such a long drive, I took her car in to have the oil changed, as a kind of thank you. When I brought it back, she read the receipt, and they had not used the requested upgraded brand oil. So, I took it back to be changed again, two days later. After, looking at the new receipt they had charged me extra because the oil was "excessively low". I questioned the guy, he said "Oh yeah, I had to put in extra since you were so low. Then I called the manager, how had I lost so much oil in two days, finally they admitted to routinely over-billing people. Never went there again!

I always let dh take care of repair estimates, etc. It's been my experience that men are less likely to try to cheat other men. I think it's the stereotype that they might know something and know they're being cheated.

I remember the first time I got an oil change on my first new car. I took it to a small shop very near to where I lived. He charged me today's price 25 years ago. (ie like double the going rate.) I paid and went to work and asked my boss if that was the right price for an oil change. He laughed his head off and said, "What did he do, suck it out with a straw?" I realized right there that he would never have paid that price and I doubt the guy would have tried it on him. As a result, though, I started taking it to the dealer where a very competent woman ran the repair dept and I never ever felt cheated at all. They were very fair. So it paid off for me in the end. Too bad for the mechanic, though. He could have had all that business if he'd been honest.

Dh actually handled all the discussions with the shops. And he's rebuilt engines in the past and knows something about cars. But, unless you have your own lifts and tools, it's hard to know for sure. Sometimes it even seems like the garages cover for each other.

My FIL and husband always did the vehicle work themselves. When we moved to SC and had a car issue I felt bereft. Dh doesn't have all the tools that FIL does and I was expected at my mom's within days. While I don't drive the break-down vehicle that far dh wouldn't have a work vehicle if one was broke and I took the other.

I looked at the listings and there was a guy with a repair shop whose name is identical to FIL's. I took the car there while dh was at work and he had it fixed for a very reasonable price. I told the ILs it was a sign. :lol:

My mom used to go to a trustworthy shop. They were sold and next thing we knew the mechanic she liked was gone and they were definitely shady. She changed.

I would definitely get other opinions. I wouldn't necessarily tell them what the first shop said. Let them figure it out what might or might not be wrong.

I feel really lucky to have married a man who is pretty good with cars. He isn't a machanic, but he does most of the work on our cars. He has been known to have them actually show him, in the shop, what they see to prove it. He also often will ask to see the part they replaced. Once he took his car in because it was running badly. They told him it needed 1200 worth of repairs (this was 15 years ago). He laughed and left. He did some testing on his own and ended up replacing a spark plug wire for $5 that fixed it.

I think it is very likely they are at least exaggerating if not outright making it up. Get a second and third opinion and if you have anyone you know who is knowledgeable about cars, ask them. My husband is always will to help and advise especially for someone who might be being taken by a shop. He HATES that.

Good luck!

I have driven each of my 3 cars until they had nearly 200,000 miles on them. I drive them hard in Atlanta traffic, and I put probably 30,000 miles a year on my cars. Other than having the oil changed no more often than every 10,000 miles, I have NEVER had any preventive maintenance done. And I have NEVER had anything go wrong with my cars that preventive maintenance would have avoided. Not one single time. Needless to say, I do not believe in preventive maintenance.

I do not get my cars aligned except when I get new tires; I have never had anything flushed; I have never done any of that. And my cars thrive.

So no, I would keep driving. Fix it when it breaks.

I understand how hard it is to find a reliable mechanic. My sister is going through this now. She is a single mom so she goes in by herself to take care of her car. She recently was given an estimate of $2500 worth of repairs. I read through the list and told her if she wanted all that done, my SO could do it for much less. She got a second opinion and they told her her car was in really good condition, recommended a radiator fluid flush (I think that was what it was) and sent her on her way. My sister is paranoid about her car and it helped to get a second opinion. Now that it is warming up, now her car is starting to smell like gas (again). *sigh* I'm waiting to see what is recommended because no one can seem to find a problem.

Hubby's truck had this problem and it was the fuel filler neck ( where you fill the tank) it was cracked. Took a while to locate that.

Honestly it's stuff like this that makes me think I should open a mom mobile mechanic shop. Get a bunch of women mechanics and build the business reputation around honesty and no mom bs guilt. Perhaps offer a maintenance class for moms. I think it would be a draw!

I would come to that garage!

DH took the van to a different mechanic and asked them to do a check over for anything that would affect summer driving trips. They found ONE of the supposed problems that the other mechanic found-a very minor oil leak that, the day before, I'd been told "if you went down even another 1/2 quart, your engine would have seized up and left you stranded on the highway".

Sigh....I hate feeling like I can't take care of day to day stuff myself, and maybe at the 2nd shop I could. I wonder whether the local community college has auto maintenance classes?

This is the best advice I can give:

KNOW YOUR CAR.

Get to know your car like you "know" your dishwasher or washing machine.

You know when they sound funny or aren't cleaning like they did last week.

---get to know your car -- turn the radio off sometimes and listen to the sounds of the engine so you can know when things are different.

if there is an extra knock or a tick

---know how it feels when it accelerates so you can know when it is different.

---same with the transmission-- know how the shifting feels and you can know when it shifts too rough or too slow (signs of issues)

for now... keep a rag (or paper towels) in your car and a quart of oil.

Check your oil every time you fill the tank with gas

Put a can of BG products in the oil (MOA) and gas (44K) once a year http://www.bgprod.com/products/products.html

have someone change the filters (gas line and air) once a year and oil at every oil change. (3-5 thousand miles)

I'm glad you went for the second opinion. I think men and women can be swayed by a greedy garage or mechanic simply because you don't know. Personally, I think you were pretty smart. You left, thought about and knew in your gut something was off.

DH took the van to a different mechanic and asked them to do a check over for anything that would affect summer driving trips. They found ONE of the supposed problems that the other mechanic found-a very minor oil leak that, the day before, I'd been told "if you went down even another 1/2 quart, your engine would have seized up and left you stranded on the highway".

Sigh....I hate feeling like I can't take care of day to day stuff myself, and maybe at the 2nd shop I could. I wonder whether the local community college has auto maintenance classes?

I'd bet they do. They might even do auto repair as part of their classes. Doesn't hurt to call and check.

My dad always made sure I knew enough about cars to make sure I'd not be taken advantage of. I can't tell you how many weekends I spent pulling engines, fixing transmissions, and rebuilding this or that during my youth. I did love the 1:1 time with Dad though.

After we moved several years ago, I couldn't find a decent mechanic in our town and had felt taken advantage of several times. We ended up in a situation where I'd coach DH enough to know how to deal with the repair shops or deals.

It paid off in the end when he dealt exclusively with a dealer that damaged our engine and refused to replace it. A very well worded email tagged with exhibit-labeled photos and the willingness to have my mechanic (aka my brother) submit a notarized letter stating the condition of the engine he'd worked on 1 week prior to it being at the dealer and low and behold DH got a reply from the owner of the dealership stating the engine would be replaced. The manager even drove a rental car to my house in order to pick up our car and save us the hassle of bringing it back again. :lol:

Sadly, something in the AC went out yesterday on the car. *SIGH* DH is going to look at it tonight to see what he thinks it is, then call my brother (the mechanic) to have him do his own diagnosis. Thankfully my only cost is the part itself (at most $300), a day spent visiting the family, and a half-tank of gas for the drive across town.

Did you take it to that mechanic pre-purchase? I never reccommend buying a used car without a pre purchase inspection. My mechanic does it for about $45-60 and will tell you what is coming due.

We learned our lesson with one of our vehicles, and now make sure we take cars we are interested in to our mechanic. He even did the last inspection for free before we bought our last car.

Kelly