Menu

Should a formerly homeschooled child be allowed

sueh16

I was homeschooled and attended a community college my last year of high school. It was not exactly a dual enrollment, as I wasn't doing any form of homeschooling, but neither was I totally a college student. I still associated strongly with the homeschooled peers I had been with for Jr high and high school, and had they had a graduation, I.would have wanted to be a part of it.

As it was I just had a party at the end of the year.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my kids when I was student teaching attended some classes at the high school and also still homeschooled. I would expect someone in that type of situation to want to graduate with both groups. If he hasn't been homeschooling or involved in the group for a while, I can understand why some would take issue with it. I hope everyone agrees he can celebrate with the group even if the decision is that he not participate in the ceremony. Maybe a middle ground could be found, like recognizing him as a special guest during the introductions part of the event.

Thanks for all of the feedback. The group is an organized group with dues, volunteers, etc The graduation ceremony honors both high school seniors and eighth graders. The child is an eighth grader who used to be part of the group. She has been attending a brick and mortar school for the past two years. I haven't sen her in about three years, but I'm pretty sure her family still pays dues.Her mom asked the two ladies who are organizing the graduation if her daughter could graduate with the other kids. One of the moms, who also has an eighth grader who goes to school and won't be participating in the graduation, said that the girl was welcome to attend, but that the graduation ceremony was just for the homeschoolers. The mom then asked the other organizer who brought the matter to the five of us. We are members of a "board." One of our jobs is to solve conflicts that come up, so when someone brings an issue to the team, we have to discuss it and vote until we reach a consensus. It feels kind of silly to be voting on something like this, which in the grand scheme of things, isn't a big deal, but a member brought it to our attention, so we have to. If I were organizing the graduation and the mom had asked me, I would have thought it was an unusual request, but I probably would have said yes just because it obviously means a lot to her, but since the two organizers have already said no, I think we should go with what they said. The member who disagreed made it seem like it would be wrong of us to say no, and that was bugging me because I don't think it's wrong to have reasonable guidelines and expect members of a group to respect those guidelines.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

What's the harm?

A child who was presumably homeschooled for 7 years (K through 6) wants to graduate with her friends. The family still pays dues to the group. If this were a child who only started home schooling this year (in 8th Grade) she would be included, but not a child who'd homeschooled 7 years?

Who does it harm to let the girl participate? Saying "no" seems unkind, and rankerously rigid and ideological.

Make the kind choice.

Bill

I don't see any reason in the above situation for the child not to graduate if the family still pays dues though it's a little weird.

Maybe the school she attends doesn't do a formal graduation for 8th graders?

I don't see where it is going to increase the cost of the graduation or cause harm to anyone else. It is only one more kid. It will be something meaningful to this family and like Bill said...it is the nice thing to do.

If it was up to me I would make the exception and let the girl participate. I like the idea of including someone who asked more than respecting rules. That's just me though!

That being said if the majority voted against it, then so be it! Letting the girl participate would be an EXCEPTION, not the righting of a bad rule, or something this child particularly deserved.

So yeah, I'd vote for the exception, but it's not something I'd fight about.

Is the child graduating from somewhere? Then, he goes to whatever is offered through the program he is graduating from. If he's not graduating from anywhere then he's a dropout and he doesn't graduate.

My only thought on a grey area is if the child was homeschooled K-8 and then enrolled in a correspondence/online program for high school. So, he's getting a diploma from somewhere, but not mom. However, his social group is still the homeschooled kids he was with for several years. The decision would then be about how much he participated in activities with the homeschooled kids. If he hasn't really hung with the group, since he started the correspondence program then no, he doesn't graduate with the group. I guess I put the grey area in because the question is Mom trying to get the kid a ceremony just for the sake of him being in a ceremony--don't want that. It really would depend on the kid's involvement in the group. Specific to the kid not the rest of his family being co op etc

The kind of educational materials/methods would be irrelevant to me. This child would still have been at home with his family, presumably his mother was aware of and complied with her state's homeschool laws (if there were any, lol), and so still counts as a homeschooled student.

I'd let the kid participate. This family probably has a lot invested in this group experience or they wouldn't ask. Would you let someone participate who pulled their kid in 7th grade and only homeschooled for 8th? My guess is you would even though that child's identity is much less tied up in homeschooling.

Of course, I have trouble seeing an eighth grade graduation as a significant formal event where anyone would need or want to sweat over it like this. Let the kid play!

Of course, I have trouble seeing an eighth grade graduation as a significant formal event where anyone would need or want to sweat over it like this. Let the kid play!

I agree. I never understood kindergarten or 8th grade graduations but obviously others consider it important. This is probably not the hill to die on...but some people will consider it to be.

The whole scenario just goes to show that organized homeschool groups need to have a printed policy based on how rigid their organization is. The more "organized" the more need for policy. Families that just get together for a graduation ceremony won't have the same needs or issues as a more structured homeschool group.

FWIW, I feel for the OP. Being in a leadership position in some of these organizations is a thankless job. No matter which way one goes, someone out there will have a problem with the decision that was made. That's why having a "set in stone" policy is a good idea - it takes the burden off the individual.

Given the new details I guess i would likely think she shouldn't be part of the ceremony (personal opinion), but I could see allowing it. I think people should just go with the board decision whatever it is.

I suppose the group marks 8th grade because many homeschoolers enter ps for high school, so it marks the transition away from homeschooling. But to me that should be nothing more than a goodbye party. You dont need an official ceremony to say you did something special by finishing 8th grade.

So, besides my own opinions about the merits of 8th grade graduation or this family's request, the board should be permitted to make a decision and stick with it. It's a real pain to be in a leadership position on these things. People second guess all you do. It wears out the people who VOLUNTEERED to be on the board and pretty soon good people back off of volunteering.

It's kind of an odd situation, but I don't see the harm in it, especially if the family has continued to pay dues to the group. Really it isn't hurting anyone else, is it?

Several people said something like this, I just picked one to answer. Most homeschool groups (especially where older kids are concerned) have volunteer requirements for the families. Paying dues is generally not the only requirement to being part of the group in my experience. My kids only took ONE co-op class this past year. I had to organize field trips, spend some hours running the library and spend a month helping with tear-down/clean-up. I can see being annoyed if someone was allowed to participate without giving anything to the group because that is not how it is set up. The harm is that you annoy your current volunteers and give an impression that you don't *really* have to contribute. These are not paid positions. It is not generally a "everyone is welcome" thing, it is a "you must contribute, if you want to participate" thing.

Thanks for all of the feedback. The group is an organized group with dues, volunteers, etc The graduation ceremony honors both high school seniors and eighth graders. The child is an eighth grader who used to be part of the group. She has been attending a brick and mortar school for the past two years. I haven't sen her in about three years, but I'm pretty sure her family still pays dues. Her mom asked the two ladies who are organizing the graduation if her daughter could graduate with the other kids.

Does the family still participate in the group? Volunteer, etc? If so, then I think it is strange that she would want to participate since it has been 2-3 years since she has participated, but I would probably allow it.

One of the moms, who also has an eighth grader who goes to school and won't be participating in the graduation, said that the girl was welcome to attend, but that the graduation ceremony was just for the homeschoolers.

Note: there are other people with older kids in a traditional school who are not currently participating in these ceremonies. If more people decide to participate based upon this decision, then does that add to the cost/burden of the organizers? If so, there should be a cost and volunteer requirement associated with the graduation ceremony.

Several people said something like this, I just picked one to answer. Most homeschool groups (especially where older kids are concerned) have volunteer requirements for the families. Paying dues is generally not the only requirement to being part of the group in my experience. My kids only took ONE co-op class this past year. I had to organize field trips, spend some hours running the library and spend a month helping with tear-down/clean-up. I can see being annoyed if someone was allowed to participate without giving anything to the group because that is not how it is set up. The harm is that you annoy your current volunteers and give an impression that you don't *really* have to contribute. These are not paid positions. It is not generally a "everyone is welcome" thing, it is a "you must contribute, if you want to participate" thing.

You don't have to contribute? If a primary benefit of participating in a co-op is the graduation ceremony, I would agree. But I would question placing the relative value of the ceremony over that of the experience, both social and educational, of being in the co-op.

You don't have to contribute? If a primary benefit of participating in a co-op is the graduation ceremony, I would agree. But I would question placing the relative value of the ceremony over that of the experience, both social and educational, of being in the co-op.

The girl has not participated in the co-op in 2-3 years, so I am not sure how your statement applies?

The girl has not participated in the co-op in 2-3 years, so I am not sure how your statement applies?

Sorry, I was addressing only what you were saying about current volunteers and their children and why should they contribute. The primary benefit for them is the experience, not the ceremony.

Sorry, I was addressing only what you were saying about current volunteers and their children and why should they contribute. The primary benefit for them is the experience, not the ceremony.

My experience with volunteers and running groups tells me that many people want a free ride and do not want to contribute. Setting volunteer requirements to be allowed to participate in various events throughout the year helps eliminate that problem.

My experience with volunteers and running groups tells me that many people want a free ride and do not want to contribute. Setting volunteer requirements to be allowed to participate in various events throughout the year helps eliminate that problem.

But we were talking about the potential effect a former member attending the co-op graduation ceremony might have the motivation of current volunteers --"The harm is that you annoy your current volunteers and give an impression that you don't *really* have to contribute." That surprised me because IMHO the ceremony would be a very small part of the co-op experience, and I can't wrap my head around anyone's seeing it as a reason not to contribute without sounding a bit lame.

I think it's rather ridiculous to be honest. This ceremony is to congratulate homeschoolers. Not public schoolers. If she wants to celebrate with them, of course that's fine, but otherwise, this is just weird and really rather rude, IMO.

This would be like planning a birthday party and someone saying, "Oy! It's not my birthday, but I wish it was, so can you celebrate my birthday now too? I will also have a party elsewhere to celebrate my birthday, but of course, you won't get a second celebration with me. Because THAT would be weird."

Umm. No.

It is a home school graduation, so the students should be homeschooled. I suppose I might see it slightly differently if maybe it was recently that she move or went to school, but it's been 2-3 years since she was active in the group. So that just cements to me that no, this homeschooling event is not for her.

Well, I probably would allow it, just to let the child be with the group they felt the most connection. However, I certainly see this from the volunteer aspect. I didn't participate in the planning of our hs graduation last year due to some of this. I didn't feel it quite right that a large amount of the groups funds go towards a graduation party for kids and families that haven't attended and contributed for years. I get it that some just want a nice party for their kid though. I'm just not going to be the one doing it. I think the onus on planning the graduation and the funding should be on the parents with graduating kids. Certainly I wouldn't expect someone to throw my kids a party when they graduate. I expect I will have to personally work and contribute to make that happen. These things just don't magically happen. It is nice and easy to say it is no big deal when you aren't the one that is paying for and making these things happen. It takes a lot of time and it is rude to expect others to do this work for you.

I believe homeschoolers have 8th grade graduations because the game changes after that. Many kids end their homeschooling journey here and this is a good-bye to homeschooling for some and a farewell to friends for all.

It seems that this family put in YEARS of participation into this group and they'd like to formally say farewell to that chapter of their lives. You 'could' require X years of participation to be in the ceremony, but where does that leave the kid who only homeschooled for 8th grade and whose family put in only one year of co-op effort? Clearly, it's not about meeting a minimal number of co-op volunteer hours.

The bottom line is that this young girl, who is at a difficult age, has strong feelings about this event. Why else would the family bother? It seems petty and odd to me that a group of homeschooling mothers would disregard those feelings in favor of pseudo-bureaucracy.

What's wrong with 8th grade graduations? If kids have been together since kindergarten, they should have a graduation together. Students often go in different directions, different schools etc. It's a giant milestone, imo.

As for the child who wants to be a part of the hs graduation ; she probably has many bonding memories/experiences of her days as a hser. She spent more time as a hser than in public school. Let her participate.

I can't believe we have so many opinions on so many things. Like...abuse of standing ovations has never once crossed my mind.

I'm getting a headache. I have enough worries and opinions, I can't handle these. lol Arrrg. I am a special little snowflake, dammit.

Oh geez. It's 8th grade "graduation". In the scheme of things, why care about something that minor enough to hurt any 13-14 year old's feelings? Any volunteer who uses that as a reason to kevetch is just being a jerk and is the type to kevetch regardless. Trying to placate such a person is generally futile.

Is the mom willing to suddenly put in a lot of volunteer hours to make up for work she didn't do in the past? Maybe she could help organize the graduation ceremony, or do clean-up afterwards. I'd lay out to her that she needs to step up and work hard to show that she's a volunteer as well as a dues-payer.

I wouldn't exclude a child just because it wouldn't be worth the drama to me. But I'm not going to spend my limited time and energy to throw a party for other kids. Selfish or not with a small baby everything is complicated and I'm looking at reducing my load when possible. I hate throwing parties as well so if I was going to throw one it would only be because it was for my family in some way.

I suppose the group marks 8th grade because many homeschoolers enter ps for high school, so it marks the transition away from homeschooling. But to me that should be nothing more than a goodbye party. You dont need an official ceremony to say you did something special by finishing 8th grade.

I had never heard of an 8th grade "graduation" until I was homeschooling and in California (San Francisco Bay area). Apparently it was common at one time (still?) for public schools to have 8th grade graduation because many students didn't go on to 9th. For some reason, homeschoolers have hung on to that. I grew up in southeastern Virginia, where junior high was 7th, 8th and 9th, so having an 8th grade "graduation" would not have made sense. And I didn't recognize my own dc for completing 8th grade (and definitely not kindergarten. Why would we do that? They just finished a year of more formal education, not 8 or 12 years of work... :huh: )

So, besides my own opinions about the merits of 8th grade graduation or this family's request, the board should be permitted to make a decision and stick with it. It's a real pain to be in a leadership position on these things. People second guess all you do. It wears out the people who VOLUNTEERED to be on the board and pretty soon good people back off of volunteering.

Homeschoolers are sometimes more difficult to work with than non-homeschoolers. I think it's because they're used to making up their own rules, and they think they should be able to help make rules for every group they're a member of. :glare:

What's wrong with 8th grade graduations? If kids have been together since kindergarten, they should have a graduation together. Students often go in different directions, different schools etc. It's a giant milestone, imo.

I would assume the different views stem from what people expect graduation to celebrate. To me, graduation is celebrating an accomplishment. Now, finishing preschool or kindergarten or 8th grade is not a major accomplishment to me, pretty much everybody manages, so I am in the camp that considers an 8th grade "graduation" silly. (Which would be all the more reason not to make a fuss and let the kid participate)

OTOH, you are looking at it celebrating the end of a school period together, so a totally different aspect where the end of a stage and the beginning of a new one is celebrated, not individual accomplishment. That makes sense to me, too.

(btw, in my town, ps 8th graders have only spent one year with new mixed classes in a new school, so having a graduation ceremony would be stupid in either respect because there would be neither accomplishment nor beginning of a new era. They'll all stay in the same building for 9th grade.)

My experiences with 8th grade graduations (with my sons, who attended an independent school) is far more positive than that. Those kids were together for 9 years (if you count kindergarten). They were all off to various private, public, and boarding schools. The ceremonies were lovely and very special. Lots of tears. I even miss some of those parents.

Of course, now that I think of it, it was called Class Day, not graduation.

I've never understood the 8th grade or k graduation either and really cannot comprehend why it should be a big deal one way another to attend such a thing. We didn't have them in my school growing up. There was a general end of the year recognition for all the grades and awards were given out to identify who did the best in each subject and such.

My first reaction would be your 'graduate' from the place that is issuing your diploma. Otherwise, you're not graduating your celebrating. And, maybe that's fine...or maybe not. That's what you need to decide.

ITA, although even if my child were issued a diploma from a distance-learning school, he would *still* get a diploma from ME, 'cuz by golly, he was still in my home, under my supervision, and I probably would have paid for the school, lol. But yeah, a child who is physically attending a campus-based school should not get to *graduate* with homeschooled children. A joint celebration would be fine, the way that some churches recognize all the grads in their congregations.

I don't know why, but it still amazes me how many different opinions people have :) ! I can't fathom WHY this girl wants to "graduate" with this homeschool co-op. It doesn't sound like she's been involved in the co-op FOR YEARS and it makes absolutely no sense to me. As far as people who say, "Oh, what's the harm in letting her?" I think the harm is that if other people in the group simply don't want her to graduate with the group she's not a part of any more, that's a valid opinion. They are allowed to feel that way. I also think that taking this issue to the board and voting on it is absolutely the right way to handle it. This is why a board like this exists. I think it's a wonderful way to handle a tricky issue, and hopefully people will be gracious about whatever the board decides.

I think, if I were in the leadership position, I might talk to the mom a little more about this before reaching a decision. I can see both sides and I think my decision would come down to what exactly is important about this to them. Then I'd see if we couldn't come to a compromise. An 8th grade graduation, I presume they don't actually get diplomas, right? Would they be open to the idea of being there for the celebration and including a 'past but missed students' acknowledgement section.

I don't know, I'm pretty ignorant about these things!

I think that the request is extremely tacky, but I wouldn't make it a hill to die on. I would be a bit embarrassed for the girl that her mom thinks that making these kinds of demands is ok, but just let it be.

The leadership committee wouldn't necessarily be dying on a hill to not allow the student to "graduate" with the others. It is their job to make rules, after all, and allowing only participants who are actually homeschooled is a reasonable rule. I promise this will come up again, so they should make a decision now and stick to it forever.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It has been interesting to read all the responses. I don't know yet what the group will decide. The other thing that makes voting on this issue feel strange to me is the fact that I'm not even involved in the planning of this event and I don't have a child participating. I can see both sides and I am willing to vote either way just to reach a consensus. I also brought up the suggestion that a few of you mentioned about having the child attend as a guest, but recognizing her in a special way.

Some of you asked about costs and I'm not sure how they are handled. My guess is that everyone brings food to share and contributes a few$ towards the cake and decorations.

Ellie, I think you made a good point when you said that this will come up again and we might as well make a decision now.

I grew up in a NE blue collar city, with a predominantly Catholic population.

Eighth Grade Graduations have been a big deal for generations. Ceremonies, Masses, parties, "big" presents.

New England children are *extra* special snowflakes. :)

I don't know what it needs to matter much at all. Do you forsee a swarming of public school students wishing to attend a homeschool graduation all of a sudden? I don't. In looking at life as 'is this worth getting worked up over' I would just let it go. While I do not understand why the child wants to graduate this way, I assume the child or their family has some reason to want it and it's not really a big deal.

I sometimes feel like groups can get caught up in the 'if we let x, then we'll have to forever and then OMZ will happen' when in reality, none of that is probably going to happen and no need to worry much over it at all.

Also, as a parent with a graduating teen if I knew the other student wasn't homeschooled, I'd think to myself 'that's odd' but it wouldn't change anything about my feelings of excitement and pride watching my child walk across the stage or whatever. :)

Somehow this makes me feel like the value of a graduation ceremony is diminished for the kids who are truly graduating from homeschool. It is like saying that their graduation isn't as legit as a regular school (who would never allow this). jmo.

Like Ellie, I attended school in VA and my class was the last one with 7,8, and 9th grades in one school before they moved the 9th graders to high school. Anyway, we had some sort of ceremony though I don't think it was really graduation but I could be wrong. I seem to remember that we got awards and it wasn't something that had been done at the end of 7th and 8th grades. However, I don;t think they called it graduation since after 9th grade, we hadn't graduated anything. In terms of kindergarten- we didn't have gowns or anything but we did get a certificate of completion and maybe cupcakes. My kindergarten was in the elementary school but was segregated from the other grades. Like we didn't go to the cafeteria with the other kids. We had half day instead of full day and we were seperated by age. The older kids (like me who has a Jan. birthday) got afternoon k and the younger kids got morning K so they could still nap in the afternoon if needed.

Somehow this makes me feel like the value of a graduation ceremony is diminished for the kids who are truly graduating from homeschool. It is like saying that their graduation isn't as legit as a regular school (who would never allow this). jmo.

:iagree:

The most special graduation ceremonies I've ever been a part of were for 8th graders. Small school. Quaker meeting. Beautiful things said. Just saying.

On the other hand, my high school graduation was silly. I had to sit with the other people whose last name begins with "W." There's something wrong with other people whose last name begins with "W." No other alphabetical group there felt the need to cheer their place in the alphabet. Also, it turned out there were three sets of twins in my class. I had had no idea, which gives you a sense of the size of things. I didn't even attend my college graduation. Tickets were limited so I sold mine for enough money to make my first month's rent. That felt very savvy and I still don't regret it.

Oh, I do kind of have a point. Ceremonies are what you make of them.

But if the family had not connection to the group, then the student would certainly not ask to graduate with the group, would he? I mean, random strangers form public school don't just show up and ask to graduate with a bunch of strange homeschoolers.

I was assuming that he was, or still is, in some way involved with this group.

You shouldn't assume any of that.

Because people are dadblum nuts.

We don't know the student even wants it. It's just as likely mama found out her dc isn't getting a graduation at his school and she wants him to have one.

We already know that other than paying dues for some odd reason, the family has had no involvement with the group for several years.

You shouldn't assume any of that.

Because people are dadblum nuts.

We don't know the student even wants it. It's just as likely mama found out her dc isn't getting a graduation at his school and she wants him to have one.

We already know that other than paying dues for some odd reason, the family has had no involvement with the group for several years.

LOL! Very true - and it seems that these types of activities bring them out of the woodwork :)

New England children are *extra* special snowflakes. :)

Meh. I grew up right here in New England, and have lived here pretty much my whole life, and I have never, ever heard of K or 8th graduations around here. At least my school never had them - well, I'm so old there wasn't even a public K in my town, and I never went to K. I did go to public school through 8th, but there was no "graduation". I find the whole idea bizarre. Maybe there happening around here and I'm just clueless, but I've never seen them mentioned in the papers, or seen pictures, or little kids running around in caps and gowns.

As far as the OP's question, I still feel like there's missing info. If this kid identifies so strongly with this group, has she really not been involved with them for 2-3 years, or just not on coop day? If so, do the other kids consider here one of the gang, and how do they feel about this ? If not, why does she still identify so strongly with this group? Is it the mother or the kid who wants this? Why has the mother still been paying dues all this time - does she have other kids involved with the group?

I'd dig deeper with the family about why this is important to them.

If your group decided to allow it, I would give the family a fairly large volunteer responsibility for the graduation ceremony day (so they would be very helpful). I would also have the child present to the committee for 2 minutes about why she wants to be a part of the graduation (but I'd only do that if you were going to say yes to her - then I'd use it as a chance to encourage her and to explain about the priviledge of being allowed to participate).

Personally, I think if the girl wants to, they can pay and put in hours of work to help make it happen, sure. I think it is a bit silly, but if she wants it bad enough to ask, present about it, and have her family volunteer and help, it's important to her.

I find the continued discussion interesting and it partially lends to my view that when issues come up, groups like to be a bit worked up about all sorts of grand possible problem it could mean now and in the future. And again, while I do see that some of these larger negative suggestions _could_ be a problem at some point, still isn't really worth worrying over.

With the discuss of volunteering and participation, etc, seems like a rather pointless argument to make on this situation where we are only aware of one aspect: a non-currently-homeschooling child wishes to participate in a graduation ceremony.

We know nothing about the policies this group has on participation in their group, membership requirements, volunteer requirements, or anything that group has established. I would assume that they set up the attendance requirements for their events and that this family would meet whatever is expected when asking to graduate. Now, if someone not part of the group just suddenly asked to be included - it's easy to say no because they don't meet the groups requirements just like the group would turn down non-member's participation in a class or fieldtrip. But to me, I automatically assume this family meets whatever requirements of membership/participation is required and feel no need to discuss elaborate hoops they must jump in order to be granted their request.

Arguing over if someone has volunteered enough or participated enough or paid enough to walk seems like a totally different conversation and I'm sure some people could press those same concerns towards other participating families that are homeschooling.