Menu

Homeschool policy at the library

Michelle My Bell

Do you have the option of another nearby library?

We ran into my librarian at Starbucks one day. She mentioned it had been awhile since seeing us, which felt like a probe.

So we answered her honestly, and explained that while we would prefer to patronize our local library, their policies weren't as flexible as the neighboring library's.

My local library at the time was only four years old in a small town; the neighboring library had been around for decades and was in an established city.

She said we were missed, and I'm sure we were. We had been in there 4-5 days each week (it's walking distance from home), checking out skads of books every time. We were awesome for their circulation, and in securing funding for more books to grow the nascent collection. But their policies on using the study rooms and renewing books didn't mesh well with our needs. So we walked ... to a bigger, established library with more flexible policies. The policies included a longer checkout period (4 weeks versus 2 weeks), ability to renew until fines hit $5 (as opposed to unable to renew anything with even a $.50 fine on it - which was a problem when we popped in and I had no cash on me), an existing ILL program, a larger checkout limit (50 versus 20 per card), and the ability to use a driver's license to check out books when one had lost her library card (as opposed to recognizing me as a patron, but not having the empowerment to okay an ID check at the clerk level).

About six months later, every resident received a survey from the (local) library board. They must've heard from others, to warrant sending it out. In the few months since then, they've been revising policies. Neither of my libraries have special exceptions for teachers or homeschoolers, but my local library WAS interested in hearing constructive feedback and realistic revisions to their policies. I think the key was twofold - one, they were receptive, and two, it was a genuine brainstorming effort as opposed to an action that might have left them immediately defensive (and therefore unwilling to become receptive).

Good luck, however you decide to address it!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think libraries that have zero fine policies see MORE use than libraries with highly punitive fine systems. I recall reading a lengthy article about that very subject. I think that sometimes people figure they are so far in the hole they might as well throw in the towel and ignore the problem.

Totally agree with this. We do not use the Library here as I can buy the book used at thrift shops for LESS than the fines are. Fines here start at .50 a day for kids books, $1 a day for adult books, and $2 a day for media items. I can buy books at local thrift shops for as low as .25 for kids books and .50 for adult books, so it doesn't make good financial sense to pay fines.

We owe a large chunk of fines {over $200}, and there is no way we will be able to pay it with our current finances. I have tried asking the director for a discount or something - I even asked if I could work off our fines volunteering at the library - and they just want the money. The fines were racked up when I was very ill and totally forgot about having books out until about 6 months later.

My situation involved a computer error. It usually lets you renew your books online but it had a glitch. At my library you can renew overdue library books as long as no one has them on hold. If there were other homeschoolers waiting for my books, as one person said... It wouldn't renew. My librarian SAID they had given me "special" treatment in the past. I didn't say that was a true statement and it wasn't. She was being snarky. I am having a bad today.

I don't understand. Was it a computer glitch or was it you forgetting to renew the books the day they were due? I've forgotten to renew and racked up fines. It was my fault so I paid them.

We don't have special privileges as homeschoolers and I haven't heard of special teachers' privileges but maybe they do exist and I just don't know about it.

The only benefit we, as homeschoolers get, at our library is to be able to get the "teacher's reserve" which means we get double the check out period. But, we can only take advantage of that if we check out with a staff member rather than through self-check or online. Our library does not allow renewals if one has a large balance of fines (I think over $20.) We can renew overdue books in person and online. One thing that they recently added that has helped me tremendously is online bill payment. That way, if I have a large fine, I can pay it before renewing books online, thus insuring that I can renew books that don't have holds on them for others.

Wow. I can understand being a bit miffed that the computer system was down, but that happens. Thankfully, we are not still stamping books to check them out and looking through card catalogs for the book we want. I can also understand missing a return date and being upset that fines were levied. The person to be upset with, however, is yourself for missing the date. The ability to renew those books online is a privilege, not a right.

My 16yo ds is a volunteer with our local library. It is a nice sized library. He was asked by the library to represent their Teens and Children's department at the monthly board meetings of a separate, non-profit fund-raising organization. It has been an eye-opening experience. In our town, the city pays for the building, the paid staff, and most of the books. That's it. The fund-raising organization is made up completely of volunteers. They have monthly book sales of books that are donated to the library. Each month, volunteers (my ds said that most of the gentlemen are from 60 to 80 years old), meet in the basement of the library, load pickups full of books, drive them around and upstairs, then unload and organize the books for sale.

The money from the sales of the books are used to buy items and to pay for ongoing programs put on by the library. Recent purchases by these volunteers are:

Color Printer

DVDs

eBook Readers

eBooks

Flashdrives

Flip Cameras

Book Shelves

Information Desk Reconfiguration

Maps & Oak Map Case

Murals & Signs

Puppet Theater for storytime

Quilts in CATS Area

Shakespeare Collection CDs

Spanish Travel Guides

Table for CATS

Wi-Fi Expanded for the Whole Library

Ongoing programs they pay for include:

Adult Lectures & Programs

Children & Teens Services (CATS) Programs

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Lego Club

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Souptelling

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ 2nd Saturdays @ the Library

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Reading Programs

Book Packs and Storytime Kits

Book Page

Books in a Bag (for book clubs)

Business Workshops

Concerts

Lucky Day collection (a separate section of brand-new and/or very popular books)

Spellbinders

They also pay subscriptions for many online services that patrons may use for free including ancestry search programs and student study/research sites. The only reason we have a decent computer system in the first place, is because the organization paid for and had installed a new system two years ago!

My children have volunteered at several programs this year including Poetry nights, State Authors signing days, ect. All of the programs mentioned here and above are absolutely FREE to the public and are NOT paid for by the city. The most memorable was a Gingerbread House Party for the kids. The volunteers were ds (16), dd (14), one other volunteer.. They set out little piles of graham crackers, cans of frosting, and decorations. Then there were jars of decorations that my dd was to hand out (so the kids would not grab handfuls). The three volunteers opened the doors and more than 100 people were standing there. Dd (14) was astounded that the it was not the kids, but the parents who acted poorly, would take more that their share, some even lied about how many items they had so their child could have the biggest, baddest Gingerbread House. It was fine of some other little child went without, but their kid had to have the best. That, my friends, is the entitlement mentality.

I will get off of my soapbox now. I guess all of this is to say that the libraries we have are incredible resources and I am afraid that as budget cuts increase and "printed books" get pushed to the side in favor of Kindles and Nooks, our libraries may be threatened.

If I have to pay a fine because of my irresponsibility, then I will do it happily. I do not feel that I should have special rights or considerations because I choose to homeschool. I just feel blessed to have a library.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like sour grapes to me. You're mad at the library when you should be upset with yourself for being disorganized. This was not a computer glitch. The system is designed not to allow renewals once you reach a preset fine limit. If you get your books in on time, there are no fines. If you pay your fines, you can renew online without issue. If you don't wait until the last minute to do things, there is no problem.

I say this as a person who is REPEATEDLY guilty of everything you have done. I've paid lots of fines because I am a procrastinator. This is not the library's fault. Their policies are clear. Homeschoolers aren't the ONLY people who read in town. We're not the only group with above-average circulation rates. Honestly, I consider library fines a donation to a good cause and something that is completely within my control.

That said, my town offers an Educators Card. You can keep print materials (no movies) out for 9 weeks and there are no fines. This is available to teachers AND homeschoolers. I use this card for school-specific books, but not our personal recreational reading. You may suggest this to your library on behalf of ALL educators. However, if you blaze in like an angry, entitled homeschooler it will only make things difficult for other homeschoolers in your area.

It would never occur to me to ask for special treatment because I'm homeschooling. :huh:

The only way I avoided overdue fines was to go to the library weekly and return all books every week, whether they'd been read or not. Sad but true.

If I miss the due date and cannot renew online, I figure it's my bad. I don't have a problem with the library having a policy of not renewing a book that is already overdue.

We have a very small library but with our card can check out books at any library in the state (and return them to our local library). They do not have special treatment for anyone and um, uh...we have no fines or fees. None at all. It's actually quite odd. If you lose a book you can offer to make a donation to replace it.

I don't think home schoolers should get better privledges than school teachers, which would be very nice.

School teachers can check out materials the general populace cannot and they can get a longer rental, vs only 2 weeks. This is especially helpful for things like teaching company DVDs or similiar items that its really rather unlikely to be finished in 2 weeks.

For me, crap happens. Let's say we go to the library with 10 kids and even if they only got 2 boks each, that's 30 books. then we have the flu run through the house starting a few days before they are due back. Now there's 30+ books a few weeks over due. Ouch.

Our library does not advertise their institutional card on their website, but here is the information that pertains to the discussion.

Homeschoolers can get an institutional card, which has special benefits over the regular library cards. With an institutional card, we get a 5 week check out with up to two renewals compared to a 3 week check out with up to two renewals. Some items have a shorter check out period for everyone. All cards have a limit of 50 books at a time. Institutional cards are not charged fines. Regular cards are charged $0.15 per item per day overdue. Institutional cards can NOT be used for printing on the computers, ebooks, or interlibrary loans.

All cards can renew overdue books online. Once renewed, the fines accumulated so far are still accessed. If your fines reach $10, your account is blocked, so you wouldn't be able to renew online or in person until the fines were paid. Books that have holds cannot be renewed and will continue to accumulate fines until returned. Ebooks cannot be renewed.

ETA: We have an institution card and 4 regular cards in the family. I have three shelves dedicated to library books because we use the library rather than buying a lot of books (space and money issue). We pay fees regularly and without complaint. If I were more organized, I wouldn't have fees. Since I am not, it is still cheaper than buying those same books...even DH has stopped complaining about the fees we pay because I check out thousands of dollars worth of books each year but pay probably $50 of fines per year.

Our local homeschool group had a representative from us go and ask if they could change their email system. Right now, I'll get an email around 10AM letting me know that my books are due by 6pm. We've requested that they change it so that it email's families 3 days before the book is due.

The Director asked us to create a petition and get people to sign it so that the county council will have to listen and do what we are requesting. He then said it would take him all of 2 minutes to change in on the computer, but he is not allowed to do so, until a directive came from council.

The petition was doing great with just homeschoolers but since we've been posting it on facebook, etc, other town patrons are rallying around it too!

Sorry, non of that helped you. But perhaps your computer system could be changed to email you earlier also.

No special policies at either of the library systems I use either. If you owe more than $5.00, you cannot renew via computer and must call in or go in to renew. So if you miss the renewal and accumulate over $5, you have to call in. I don't think homeschoolers deserve special rules, I think we need to remember to renew on time. I understand you are irritated, but honestly, it is your fault, not the libraries.

Our local library allows homeschoolers to have some teacher privileges. We don't have a book limit and we are able to keep the books for twice the length of time. Unlike regular teachers, we do have to pay late fines. Many people in my city say that the library in the next town is even more accommodating to homeschoolers, so they drive a little further and go there instead. Also, the homeschoolers started doing service projects for that library in appreciation. I think libraries would be wise to court patrons who are likely to need many books and other library services!

No special privileges here, not even for public school teachers, but I do wish we would get email notification if someone puts a book on hold before the due date. I check out a bunch of picture books at once and renew the ones we don't get to in time. That system came in handy this winter when I had a horrible respiratory illness and couldn't read aloud some weeks. But I can't find out someone else put a hold on it and made it non-renewable until I actually try to renew it. If I knew the book was on hold a week before the due date, I'd make sure to get to that book first.

Right now, I have two books on hold that the current borrowers are late returning. It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit frustrating.

I don't understand. Was it a computer glitch or was it you forgetting to renew the books the day they were due? I've forgotten to renew and racked up fines. It was my fault so I paid them.

We don't have special privileges as homeschoolers and I haven't heard of special teachers' privileges but maybe they do exist and I just don't know about it.

My books were a day overdue. I usually can renew them (still paying a fine for the day they were overdue. They will not renew if someone has a hold on them). The computer wouldn't let me renew. It was a glitch in the system. The librarian wouldn't waive the fine. I really have felt attacked on this thread. I wish the whole conversation would go away.

Many libraries have special teacher cards, just a business have special educator discounts. Everyone keeps saying "I don't know why I should get special privileges!" So tell me, do you use discount cards at places like Joann Fabrics, Barnes and Noble etc...? Is that fair to the average customer? I don't think it is unreasonable for homeschoolers to have a special teacher card. We use the library significantly more than an average person. I am not suggesting that we should be able to "hog" the books. If someone wants it they can place a hold and we would not be able to renew it. I do think because of the shear volume of books we often have checked out that lower fines or a grace period or volunteering to pay for fines would be great. None of these options are available at my library. If I make a mistake and go one day overdue on my books, that can be $$$ because of the amount of books that would all go overdue at the same time.

My books were a day overdue. I usually can renew them (still paying a fine for the day they were overdue. They will not renew if someone has a hold on them). The computer wouldn't let me renew. It was a glitch in the system. The librarian wouldn't waive the fine.

I'd there a renewal line you could have called for an override?

I'm a bit confused though, because in the OP you said the books wouldn't renew because you had too many overdue books. That wording made it sound like it wasn't a glitch.

Businesses give special cards as an incentive to get you to do business there.

I don't understand "I get the most use out of it, so, I should not have to pay the same fines as casual users". That's the opposite of logical.

No teacher cards or homeschooler cards here in my town (MA).

If I make a mistake and go one day overdue on my books, that can be $$$ because of the amount of books that would all go overdue at the same time.

Then don't take out so many books in a single visit (staggering the due dates if you must). Or better yet, just return them when they are due... or have your husband or a friend or neighbor return them if you can't find the time. If anything, your schedule should be more flexible "as a home-schooler" than the other patrons you say don't frequent the library as much. I am pretty flexible in seeing other people viewpoints, but I honestly can't wrap my head around not paying for something just because you home-school.

Pity-party of one, now serving.

Businesses give special cards as an incentive to get you to do business there.

I don't understand "I get the most use out of it, so, I should not have to pay the same fines as casual users". That's the opposite of logical.

No teacher cards or homeschooler cards here in my town (MA).

With current funding based on circulation rates, I'd think libraries would have the same desire to attract "business."

There are (lots of) libraries that have special cards for educators. I think this is what the OP is hoping for, to have a policy such as that for public school teachers, for homeschooling parents. (For example, they have longer check out periods.)

Search online for public library teachers card; I found a few --

http://www.bklynpubl...ry.org/node/456

http://www.lapl.org/...rrower-services

http://www.pawtucket...eachercards.htm

http://www.bcpl.info...rs/teacher-card

http://www.gailborde...s/teacher-cards

It does look like most of these libraries do not charge teachers overdue fines.

Guest inoubliable

Wow. Rude.

Not really, and I have no idea why you'd single out my post when there was an entire page and a half of posts saying the same thing that I did before I said it. I must have forgotten to switch from "stinging font" to "cuddly font". My bad.

If you wanted people to just agree with you, you should have put that in the beginning.

Not really, and I have no idea why you'd single out my post when there was an entire page and a half of posts saying the same thing that I did before I said it. I must have forgotten to switch from "stinging font" to "cuddly font". My bad.

What does it say about me that "cuddly font" makes me think of wookies? No idea where that came from.

Off to look for a wookie font....

http://cincinnatilib...nguidelines.pdf

Cincinnati has an educator card that homeschoolers can get without fines for overdue books.

This is good to know! Thanks! :thumbup1: I do love our library system. That said, we have paid a lot of fines here. It is what it is, and we accept responsibility. They used to not allow renewing overdue items online, in which case we would just have to make a drive out to return them, but they have changed that policy and now we can renew overdue items online. Thank goodness.

What does it say about me that "cuddly font" makes me think of wookies? No idea where that came from.

Considering my kids tell me you wouldn't want to make a wookie angry I think it probably means you are a least a little warped.

Let me know if you find that font.

Or a wookie cupcake; I think this thread might need one!

With current funding based on circulation rates, I'd think libraries would have the same desire to attract "business."

My library funding comes from a library tax as well as plenty of fundraisers.

ETA:

We are not allowed to borrow from the county library because my residential address property tax does not contribute to that library system. I would have to pay $89 per year per person to use those libraries.

No luck... but I did find this:

wookiekilt.jpg

Oh geez. I get the OP frustration. The library online sucks and bc of that she has added fees she tried to avoid. Then the librarian gives her attitude.

I think it reasonable to have educator privledges bc educators do use the library services more. And the items they use often need more than the 2-14 days limit.

Frankly, the lack of selection and ridiculous time limit is why I just don't bother anymore. I'll take my kids sometimes now that they don't have fees for kids accounts. But for me, if I order a book at all, it's to look at it and see if I want to buy it. Often I order it, look at it at the library and don't even bother to check it out.

My books were a day overdue. I usually can renew them (still paying a fine for the day they were overdue. They will not renew if someone has a hold on them). The computer wouldn't let me renew. It was a glitch in the system. The librarian wouldn't waive the fine. I really have felt attacked on this thread. I wish the whole conversation would go away.

Many libraries have special teacher cards, just a business have special educator discounts. Everyone keeps saying "I don't know why I should get special privileges!" So tell me, do you use discount cards at places like Joann Fabrics, Barnes and Noble etc...? Is that fair to the average customer? I don't think it is unreasonable for homeschoolers to have a special teacher card. We use the library significantly more than an average person. I am not suggesting that we should be able to "hog" the books. If someone wants it they can place a hold and we would not be able to renew it. I do think because of the shear volume of books we often have checked out that lower fines or a grace period or volunteering to pay for fines would be great. None of these options are available at my library. If I make a mistake and go one day overdue on my books, that can be $$$ because of the amount of books that would all go overdue at the same time.

Ok, you are having a bad day made worse by a bunch of people on the internet disagreeing with you. I see why you feel attacked.

Also, it seems like you could have renewed them under your library's system but this time it didn't work for some reason.

I agree with most of the comments but I'll spare you having to hear them again.

It just sounds like you are having a hard time in general and also struggle with getting along with your library. On a better day, try to rethink your approach, get over the anger and "we deserve" attitude, and hopefully you can come up with a great educator program that would benefit your community and an effective way to share your ideas.

As far as I know our library doesn't have any special policies, but I do like their online service. You can pay fines online or renew. You can attempt to renew overdue books, too. It won't remove the fine for the couple of days overdue, but it does stop accumulating as long as no one else has requested the book. My favorite feature is the email warning. I get an email 3 days before the books are due. I can then check all of the books for renewal to make extra sure that I get any requested book back on time, because it will show me anything I can't renew. I can't imagine needing anything more than that.

Fines can be a pain. Yet I cannot imagine no B & M library! In my town fine $ is put towards buying new books. When I have fines that boarder on insanity, mixed in with my guilt is pride that I help keep it all going. lol

Given our family's heavy usage, libraries are a bargain for us. Our largest fine was over $50. A couple of other notables are not much less. ;) Twice a year our town lets one pay off library fines in canned goods. :)

I can't complain. :)

My library's policy is that you can't renew online if you have a single overdue book, or any fines at all. So I get my books back on time. Or I pay my fines. I've never asked for a "grace period," or any kind of special treatment. And it wouldn't occur to me to get annoyed that there isn't some special snowflake homeschooler policy.

My library's policy is that you can't renew online if you have a single overdue book, or any fines at all. So I get my books back on time. Or I pay my fines. I've never asked for a "grace period," or any kind of special treatment. And it wouldn't occur to me to get annoyed that there isn't some special snowflake homeschooler policy.

In my library, you can do everything until you have > $10 of fines, at which point you can no longer check out new material. Every library I've ever been to will negotiate fines, too.

For what it's worth, I love my library, and I almost never have a fine.

I think it's worth asking your library to consider an educator card (if it doesn't already have one) or extending it to homeschooling parents. Why not? If you don't ask, they may never think of it. Here are some libraries that have them

http://www.aurorapub...-library-cards/

http://www.marysvill....org/homeschool

http://www.library.n...crd_getcard.asp

http://www.cincinnat...t/educator.html

http://cuyahogalibra...e.aspx?id=22682

http://www.khcpl.org...homeschoolcards

While searching for this, I found a fair number of libraries that have homeschool collections/rooms. Too cool!

And libraries with resources pooled in one area highlighting items of interest

http://keenepublicli...s/homeschoolers

As far as I know, many libraries love homeschoolers and try to serve them as many are avid readers and interested patrons. So I'd give it a shot! This is entirely aside from your woes with your card, the renewal process, and your fines, for which you've received no sympathy on here, not to my surprise. It's a pretty tough crowd. I hope your library sets something up that works for you! There are lots of other interesting services besides just relief from fees that would, I suspect, be really helpful to a lot of homeschooling parents and other educators. I, for one, have no problem having "special services" for me at the library. They have special programs for babies, why not me? Heck, a library card itself is a "special service" for which I am entitled for free because of where I live.

Thank you to the two or three people who actually answered the question i asked in the first post, which was to please share your libraries website if it has a homeschool policy.

I am very sorry that everyone felt they had to " tell me like it is". I really wonder if you would have spoken to me like this in real life? I am very saddened at the conduct on the boards today. I have been apart of this community for the last 10 years or so and have never seen such a tongue lashing as I have today.

I'm sorry, Michelle.

Considering that many places have different policies for educators, I don't think it's unreasonable to research what those policies are in different communities.

I think the pile-on started early in the thread and it went from there. It's almost like once the tone is set, it's set.

I am a homeschooler and circulation assistant at our local library. At the library, we treat homeschool parents like all other teachers: they get a teacher's card that gives them a 4 week checkout period (as opposed to the normal three weeks). That's it. If anyone is late, they have to pay the fines. They can't renew more than the two times everyone else can renew. They can, however, request modified due dates, place items on hold, renew in person/ by phone/ or online, return all items to the bookdrop, return items to any library in the system, etc. If there are extenuating circumstances, we will work with patrons to reduce or forgive fines regardless of whether they are teachers or not.

One of the reasons I was hired was to help the library attract more homeschoolers by more directly serving their needs and helping the library earn the best ways to communicate with the local homeschooling community. The vast majority of our patrons are NOT homeschoolers. Most of the homeschoolers in our area do not avail themselves of library services beyond the occasional book check-out; one group avails itself of our conference room for mock trial practice. Given the vast amount materials and services provided by our library system, I am shocked at how few homeschoolers I see on a regular basis.

As to the original poster's question, our system does not have its system use policies posted on its website, just it's internet policy. You can, however, contact the system's customer service via the website. If you are interested, the website can be found here.