Menu

Things it's likely only hs kids say

Mom in High Heels

My DD once answered, very seriously "4.75" to the "what grade are you in. Apparently, that was the average of the numbers on her various books.

After that point, I started teaching her the correct age/grade conversion-IE-you're 6, therefore you're in 1st grade :).

My 9 yr old sent me an email in Latin the other day.

Yesterday the boys ended up having a pillow fight in the living room. Before I knew it two of them had stripped to their underwear, painted blue on their chests, and were throwing "boulders" (the pillows) while yelling "Death to Rome!" at my oldest, who apparently was the Roman.

We've been doing a lot of Latin and Roman history lately. My 9 yr old is obsessed with all things Rome right now.

I have two contributions:

When dd was in kindergarten, we moved to a new church. It was in the fall and she was a new 4yo. We had been reading quite a bit about the Pilgrims. When a nice older lady at the new church greeted us and asked dd, "What's your name, sweetie?", my dd cheerfully replied, "Hello! My name is Squanto!" :glare:

Also at the same church, one morning the Sunday School teacher for dd's class was out sick. Dd was the only child there that morning for her age level so they placed her in with the 3yos. When I came to pick her up after church, one of the teachers asked me if dd was homeschooled. I admitted that she was and asked why she wanted to know. She started snickering and said, "We gave the children a pack of the matching game cards with nature pictures on them. Your dd took the deck and said, 'Okay, children we are going to learn about the food web and predator/prey relationships. Let's lay these cards out in order. Actually, it is more of a multidimensional net, but you guys are young, so we will just put them in a line..." Dd was 4 at the time. :tongue_smilie:

Kleine Hexe says:

Before I knew it two of them had stripped to their underwear, painted blue on their chests, and were throwing "boulders" (the pillows) while yelling "Death to Rome!" at my oldest, who apparently was the Roman.

:lol:

I can't wait to teach Ancients this autumn!

Or should I fear being labeled the Roman?

My nephew 7 yr old recently told me, quiet seriously and thoughtfully, "You know what would be a good invention? Real life subtitles. That way, if someone was talking to you in French, for instance, and you couldn't understand French, you could just read the subtitles in the air around them. After all, subtitles in movies are very helpful."

He's not hs'd, but I've been dying to tell this story. lol

My 9 yr old sent me an email in Latin the other day.

Yesterday the boys ended up having a pillow fight in the living room. Before I knew it two of them had stripped to their underwear, painted blue on their chests, and were throwing "boulders" (the pillows) while yelling "Death to Rome!" at my oldest, who apparently was the Roman.

We've been doing a lot of Latin and Roman history lately. My 9 yr old is obsessed with all things Rome right now.

That's awesome. I'd love a Latin email. My valentine's card this year was in Latin. It was so sweet. Last year it was a mix of Latin and English, because he didn't know enough Latin to do the whole card.

What did your kids use to paint their chests? That's so cool. I'd better not tell Indy or he might try it. He's divided our common area (we live in stairwell military apartments) into Athens and Sparta for the when he and his friends play war. I asked what side he was on and he said while he respected the "Athenian thirst for knowledge," (his words) he was Spartan because they always win. He has a t-shirt we got in Greece that has a Spartan helmet and crossed swords on it and reads Sparta at the bottom. He likes to make sure it's always clean so he can wear it when they play war. I asked what his friends (none of whom are hs'd) thought about it and he said he had to explain it all, and they just went along with it. They like to yell "Sparta" during the war. They make the younger kids play the Athenians. :)

My teenaged son calls primary and elementary schools, "Waste of Time Schools."

He thinks everything you learn at those ages can be learned at home.

So my older kids did an awesome pull-out program at the local elementary school, once a week.

I know this is rare. We were *so* lucky. The teacher was *amazing* and they did basically hands-on unit studies. The whole thing was *very* much under the radar of the administration. The teacher closed the classroom door and while the admins assumed everyone was doing extra math worksheets or something, the fun began. Castle building, jousting with pool noodles while standing on balance boards, building and flying model airplanes, taking apart old appliances and using the pieces to make other stuff, puppet shows - all kinds of cool stuff went on.

Their cousins attended the school full time, and sometimes we came across them there, along with other neighborhood kids we knew.

As a preschooler, my youngest always came along when we dropped off, picked up, volunteered in the classroom, etc. and therefore talked to staff members, etc. and felt very "at home" there.

One day, she was pleased to come across one of her cousins at the school. "T was there today!". Um, yeah, he goes every day.

Come to find, she assumed that *all* of the students in school were there on a drop-in, part-time kind of basis, doing cool hands-on unit studies the whole time! Um, no, that's not quite how it works!

When my ds was 7, "I love having an imagination. You can take it with you wherever you go and you never get bored!"

My 5 year old dd last week was going around the house saying, "I'm a powerful woman!!!" which made me a dh snicker because most likely, when she grows up, she will be just that. Well, this week she added some armor and said it again, "I'm a powerful woman!!!" I figured it out. Due to her speech issues, her "r's" come out like "w's" and she was really saying, "I'm a powerful Roman!!!"

Beth

That's awesome. I'd love a Latin email. My valentine's card this year was in Latin. It was so sweet. Last year it was a mix of Latin and English, because he didn't know enough Latin to do the whole card.

What did your kids use to paint their chests? That's so cool. I'd better not tell Indy or he might try it. He's divided our common area (we live in stairwell military apartments) into Athens and Sparta for the when he and his friends play war. I asked what side he was on and he said while he respected the "Athenian thirst for knowledge," (his words) he was Spartan because they always win. He has a t-shirt we got in Greece that has a Spartan helmet and crossed swords on it and reads Sparta at the bottom. He likes to make sure it's always clean so he can wear it when they play war. I asked what his friends (none of whom are hs'd) thought about it and he said he had to explain it all, and they just went along with it. They like to yell "Sparta" during the war. They make the younger kids play the Athenians. :)

It wasn't a long or elaborate email or anything. He's just learning Latin, but it was cute.

They used tempura paint.

Dd4 & dd7 take 6 inch rulers with them everywhere and measure things. I got some strange looks at an egg hunt when they had to first pull out their rulers and measure their eggs lol.

Dd11 once when asked by a stranger in the store in the middle of the day why she wasn't at school she replied with "why aren't you at work?" I think she was about 7 or 8 at the time.

When playing Legos with their cousins they are always building Empires or something historical. The cousins are completely clueless to all of it.

When ds and his friend were about 15yo in a span of 10 minutes the were talking about...

Latin

Love of classic literature--I think it was Shakespeare they were discussing

Metallica and Ozzy and how the old rock and roll is so much better than newer music.

How the worship part of summer camp was their favorite part

all the while sitting at my kitchen counter, hand painting miniature war figures. They were mixing colors and trying new painting techniques.

I really don't think this would have been a conversation between my son and any of his public schooled friends.

We do recitations every morning and now my two year old runs around saying, "sum, es, est, sumus, estis, sunt". Lately, she's been doing "amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant."

Lately we've been doing verb conjugation recitations, too. I sometimes wonder what the neighbors think when they hear clamo, clamas, clamat, clamamus, clamatis, clamant reflecting the meaning of the verb---yowled at the top of our lungs, that is.

Dd4 & dd7 take 6 inch rulers with them everywhere and measure things. I got some strange looks at an egg hunt when they had to first pull out their rulers and measure their eggs lol.

Dd11 once when asked by a stranger in the store in the middle of the day why she wasn't at school she replied with "why aren't you at work?"

😅

My favorite. Hilarious.

We do recitations every morning and now my two year old runs around saying, "sum, es, est, sumus, estis, sunt". Lately, she's been doing "amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant."

That's funny! We used to joke that Han Solo would know Latin before he knew English. He does know a few words in Latin and Greek. Indy taught him a victory dance, which is hilarious. They dance around yelling "nike!" which is the Greek word for victory. Every time Indy does well on a quiz he does his nike dance and Han Solo joins in.

DD 17: What should I work on next?

Me: I think you should get Precalc done.

DD 17: Ok, I'll go change first, that way I can do Logic and Precalc in a row.

Me: ???

DD 17: I have to wear my math pants. You know, the black and white shorts. My other pants are too constricting to do math related subjects in. You know I like to read the book hanging off the couch backwards. And sometimes I need to do a handstand.

Me: :glare:

____________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know if this one really qualifies as a homeschool student saying per se but...

DD16 (last night): Will you be very upset if I drop out of college?

Me: You're still in high school!

DD16: Yeah but I'm an artist and from what I can tell, LOTS of artists drop out and never finish their degrees.

Me: I am so NOT discussing this...

DD16: I was just trying to see how you would take it. I like to plan ahead for all possibilities. How do you think Dad will react?

Me: I have to go lie down.

Georgia

Dd11 once when asked by a stranger in the store in the middle of the day why she wasn't at school she replied with "why aren't you at work?" I think she was about 7 or 8 at the time.

OK, that made me laugh loudly enough to frighten the cat. I'm dying to know how the stranger responded.

And I think I need some math pants.

Great thread. I have such a poor memory. I must start writing down the things E says. One that does spring to mind from recently was when E met the 11 year old daughter of a friend who is considering home schooling:

E (aged 7): Hello, my name is E. What is your name?

N (aged 11): I'm N.

E: That's a nice name. It's lovely to meet you.

:confused: and :D I've never taught him to do this, but I am rather pleased. All that classic children's literature and mixing with a wider range of people than just other 7 year boys is teaching him to be rather more civilised than his peers seem to be!

We had raclette fondue for lunch one day this week. DD declared she could NEVER go to school because she was pretty sure there was no fondue and no browned butter brownies. She declared that horrifying.

DS isn't going to school because none of his school friends know who David Attenborough is so therefore school out of the house is a waste of time.

DS said the word "hypothosis" in front of a woman we were speaking to once and her first question was, "is he homeschooled?"

If I tell the kids to get dressed, their first response is, "Why? Where are we going?!"

My son informed me the other day that the LOF Elementary series is in alphabetical order. I had no idea!

Great thread. I have such a poor memory. I must start writing down the things E says. One that does spring to mind from recently was when E met the 11 year old daughter of a friend who is considering home schooling:

E (aged 7): Hello, my name is E. What is your name?

N (aged 11): I'm N.

E: That's a nice name. It's lovely to meet you.

:confused: and :D I've never taught him to do this, but I am rather pleased. All that classic children's literature and mixing with a wider range of people than just other 7 year boys is teaching him to be rather more civilised than his peers seem to be!

DS3 introduced himself to all of the mannequins while shopping one day. He shook their hands and everything. However, anytime a sales associate tried to talk to him, he would hide.

If I tell the kids to get dresses, their first response is, "Why? Where are we going?!"

Yes, mine too! I'm trying to get them used to the idea of getting dressed every day just as a habit, unless of course I'm really behind on laundry and then it's jammie day.

DS1: "Mommy, may I make you latte?" Why yes dear, of course.

MIne was when my son was first prescribed his medication for his ADHD. The dr told him to take his medication with his breakfast every morning. My son thought about it for a second and then asked "Wait, is that first breakfast or second breakfast?!"

The dr was SO confused he just looked at me... I had to explain the kids eat breakfast, then we all go to the park or track for a run and outdoor time and then I fix DH and myself our "first" breakfast and the kids' "second breakfast"... You would think we were hobbits ; )

Yesterday I was talking about homeschooling with my husband. I don't recall what we were talking about, but it wasn't directed at any one of my children.

My 4 year old thought it had to do with her and said, "I know, I'm only 4, but I still do homeschool!" She obviously thought what I said pertained to her being too "young" to officially homeschool?

My son also gets confused about his "grade." He's in 1st, but does all 2nd grade level work, so typically he explains to others that he's in 1st grade, but his school work is 2nd grade. I tell him all the time that he doesn't have to explain that, just say "1st grade!"

He also talks about many things in math terms. He used to look at EVERY DVD case to see how many minutes the movies were. He would then come to me and say, "this movie is 128 minutes. That means it's 2 hours and 8 minute long!" The only reason he stopped doing that is because we tossed all the cases and put them in 1 DVD zipper case (once in a while he will still look at the DVD itself and read how many minutes it is)

My nephew 7 yr old recently told me, quiet seriously and thoughtfully, "You know what would be a good invention? Real life subtitles. That way, if someone was talking to you in French, for instance, and you couldn't understand French, you could just read the subtitles in the air around them. After all, subtitles in movies are very helpful."

He's not hs'd, but I've been dying to tell this story. lol

We just watched The Princess Bride subtitled in French last night. Inexplicably, it's not subtitled in English.

Only my 9 year old understood some of it. He's been learning French with DuoLingo.

DS3 introduced himself to all of the mannequins while shopping one day. He shook their hands and everything. However, anytime a sales associate tried to talk to him, he would hide.

I just about died laughing in the store when my DS did the same thing. Walked up, shook the mannequins hand and exclaimed "It's nice to meet you." I think he was around 3 or 4 at the time. LOL

Ha! I love it! I might have to teach this one to my kids. ;)

I had an uncomfortable moment at the dentist office once. The hygienist told my older child he should brush his teeth as part of his morning routine, you know when you get dressed you should brush your teeth. DS said he doesn't get dressed. Then she said well then after you eat breakfast. And he said he doesn't eat breakfast. So yeah my kid doesn't get dressed and doesn't get breakfast. *sigh*. Not entirely true, but the point was we don't have a routine for these things. They are done at various times. It probably does sound rather crazy to someone who doesn't homeschool.

I have a dentist story. Our dentist gives kids a grade for how well (or not) they brush and floss. My then 9 yr old was informed that he got a C and he asked, "Is that good or bad?" The lady looked a little perplexed and I explained to my ds that kids in school get a letter grade and that 'A' is the best. He said, "Oh, great then. I got a C which is pretty darn good as that's a long way off from Z."

I have a dentist story. Our dentist gives kids a grade for how well (or not) they brush and floss. My then 9 yr old was informed that he got a C and he asked, "Is that good or bad?" The lady looked a little perplexed and I explained to my ds that kids in school get a letter grade and that 'A' is the best. He said, "Oh, great then. I got a C which is pretty darn good as that's a long way off from Z."

Love this!

We were at Montpelier the their day and the tour guide asked who the man in the cut-out picture was.

My 10 yr old daughter raised her hand and said, "Andrew Jackson. He was one of our presidents and a hero of the War of 1812."

The woman behind me whispered to me, "Are you homeschoolers?"

I sooooo need math pants.

My kids are of the average type, who'd rather talk about music and what they are doing on the weekends than anything academic. Most people never guess they are homeschooled, and I've decided that is neither good nor bad. Now - just the four of us at home? Yeah - they love discussing things that may not come up with kids in "normal" school - but I don't attribute that to homeschooling as much as having parents that talk a lot to them about everything and the fact that we don't have satellite or cable.

When they were younger it was hilarious to see them playing Risk and pretending that they were actually engaging in the Trojan War, or listening to them trying to explain Greek mythology to kids in regular school - but ya' know - having a one-on-one tutor all day who happens to love history will do that to a kid.....

When my older DS went back to PS in 8th grade, I was told (by him) that while I was great at teaching him most subjects I really needed to work on teaching grammar :) I have great grammar (when I care) and write well (when I have to), but I really never taught it!!! Sorry, son.....

I can't recall anything remarkable my son has said that would reflect his homeschooling. However I dearly wished I had written down the story he told me the other day. I was amazed at his clarity of thought, sequencing, and vocabulary.

I do think homeschooling has fostered his imagination with e amount of imaginative play he engages in along with the good books we read together.

These interactions with DS1 prompted my DH to ask me, jokingly, "What are you teaching them?" It's a regular question around here.

I went shopping with my toddler while DH and DS1 dropped DS2 off at music class one Saturday morning. DS1 and DH spent music class at a coffee shop. When they picked me up from the shops, DS1 greeted me with, "Hi, Mom! Dad and I talked about the speed of light at the coffee shop today!" My DH confirmed that he was really interested in the subject and asked a ton of questions. Luckily, DH has a science background and can speak fluently about physics.

DS1 also just made paper tails for each member of the household (don't ask me why, I'm sure I don't know) -- and each tail had written on it, "To (name of person) TM" along with some other designs. DH asked, "What's this TM here?" DS1 said, "Oh. That stands for trademark. See that little green dot by your name? I trademarked it. No other tail can have that mark on it."

And I totally relate to all of your stories about your kiddos's love of the ancients. I cannot count how many times my boys have monopolized the dinner conversation, regaling DH with stories of ancient civilizations. It's such fertile ground for their imaginations.

We were church and someone asked Jax if he was a good helper, he replied, "yes, I'm a helping verb, a helping verb helps another verb assert action, being or existence.". Only imagine in a southern accent with a lisp, " yeth, I'm a helpin' berb, a helpin' berb helps anudder berb assthert atshun, bein' or egthistenth.". She had no idea what he was saying, but I just wanted to bottle all that cuteness and keep it forever :).